• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasteland 2 Director's Cut couldn't stop me from taking some time out for a hidden-object game! So here we go with your impressions for Castle: Never Judge a Book By Its Cover.

DISCLAIMER: Whenever it comes to licensed games, I feel I should point out how familiar I am with the property in question. In this case, I've seen the first two seasons, and a handful of episodes after that. So I'm reasonably familiar. That said, you don't really need to know much about the show in order to play this game. There are a few references to the show in the hidden object games (like St. Miriam's Scotch and the Thorian Blaster) but that's about it.

The graphics: It's the first thing you notice. How close are the character images to the real thing? Castle is pretty close, Kate is kinda-sorta-close, Ryan is dead on, Alexis is dead on and as cute as ever, Castle's mother is close (if de-aged a bit,) and Esposito is "who the fuck is this guy?" But overall, they did a decent job with this. I'll give 'em a B+. The environments are also well-done, and I'll talk about the hidden object scenes later.

One other quick point to note about the graphics: one of the characters is a book reviewer (minor spoiler) and throughout the game you find his reviews. But rather than just making straight lines or "lorem ipsum" below the headline, they took an ACTUAL goodreads book review, and slapped it in there, complete with contact info. Imagine my surprise when the male book reviewer is described as a mother of three! Points for attempting a realistic-looking book review, but come on guys, what the hell?

The audio: If you're a fan of the show, you'd probably be expecting two things in the audio department: the voices and the theme music. Aaaand you get neither. They spared EVERY expense when it comes to the audio. Generic (but still passable) musical riffs, no voices at all - which is fair; if you can't get the real thing, it's probably better to go text-only than get fill-in soundalike voice actors - and the denouement comes hard and fast with no whistlin' theme closing credits. DisapPOINTed!

The dialogue: Surely if they couldn't get the voices, they could at least get the snappy dialogue, right? ...Meh. Castle has a few quips here and there, but there's very little other characterization. No flirting/sexual tension between Castle and Beckett, no banter between Ryan and Esposito (hell, they might as well be the same guy in this game,) Ryan doesn't make his requisite mention of Jenny...at least Castle's family makes for an okay subplot. This one is almost all business.

I also don't know how to feel when they do enough research to call an item a "boroscope" (which I actually had to look up to know what it does, a rarity for me,) but not do enough to know the proper term for a "Communion Cup" (hint: if it holds wine, it's a chalice. If it holds wafers, it's a ciborium.) I guess we can call it a wash and say they still did well.

The puzzles: Alright, you're saying, so it LOOKS okay but it's not very Castle-esque in its substance. Did they at least get the gameplay of a hidden-object game right? ...Yes. Yes, they did. The hidden object scenes allow you to toggle between names and silhouettes in case you don't know what the hell something is by name, but they still did a good job disguising items into the scene without making it impossible. Lots of good colour and shape camouflaging - putting a paper bag next to a cardboard box or a domino onto a white computer keyboard, for example - it'll make your eyes pass over it, and once you find it you'll realize you should have thought of it earlier, as opposed to "I never would have found that in a million years without the hint."

The mini-games are surprisingly challenging but still fair. Expect a mix of logic and trial-and-error. I did skip one puzzle (fuck sliding puzzles,) but there were a few of a genre that I haven't seen in hidden object games before, so it was pretty refreshing to work through them. So kudos to them for that.

The game is divided into "chapters," and locations pop in and out. It's an interesting way to go about things, but sometimes they leave puzzles unsolved, close off the location, then later you get an item. "Aha! I know where to use this. That means we're going back to this old location again," and you end up spoilering yourself. It would have been better if you were allowed to go to any uncovered location at any time to avoid it, but this is a minor point and doesn't detract from the otherwise good gameplay.

The length: My profile says 5.0 hours. And that's skipping the sliding puzzle. So it's a healthy length for a hidden-object game.

The verdict: It's odd. This is a good hidden-object game - hell, it's a good game period - but not a very good Castle game. So if you're a fan of the series and want to play a Castle game, I'd actually say don't because it probably won't feel right to you. But if you just want a decent game that you can knock out in a few hours, I'd say play it.

Edit: Oh yeah, no Steam Achievements and no trading cards. So if you care about those, don't bother either.

...No whistling credits. My shattered nerves.
Thanks for the impressions. Will give this game a try.

yuraya

MGSV has cut content everywhere and some of the worst post-launch support ever. It's most fatal flaw is that it's not a finished product. But, because one category of the game (gameplay) is so good, all of it's other faults will be forgiven.

This same process is how other, worse-playing video games can win the Pong Award. For instance, Gone Home has a well-delivered, moving story that outweighs every other aspect of the game.

Divinity won SteamGAF goty last year and Rogue legacy won it the year before that. Neither of those games won because of story. MGSV has a better story and gameplay than both of those games.

Gameplay is king. I'm pretty sure everyone's favorite game here in this community is Dark Souls. That is a game with barely any story. I think gamers in the current industry respect devs a lot when they make a very long games (100+ hours) and with it make amazing combat/gameplay. That is a lot harder to do than write an amazing story imo.

Nzyme32

Eh, it will bite them in the ass in the long run. The "whales" who actually play the game regularly will just go with getting drills from loot drops. Casuals might buy one or two drills to try out the system, but the likelihood of it putting hooks in them and eating all their steam wallet funds seems unlikely.

I had been picking up the DLC at 75% discount level with plans to go spend more time with the game in the future. But I'm done now... (which reminds me, I need to uninstall it if I haven't to get some space back since I won't be playing it any time soon).

And so it should. They've placed their income over that of customer happiness. I'd take a guess that subsequent games they make will not get the same kind of community behind them.

11,625,415 is a new concurrent users record, right? Can't remember it going over 11.5m before.

It never did. The stats tracking is broken and the graph doesn't show that figure. It's been like that for a while, any time there is a server issue resulting in blips, they don't get represented correctly in the final peak number

Pachimari

Fuck 100+ hour games and games with no story.

An attitude which is probably the reason I'm mainly switching over to movies and TV shows now.

But I still enjoy some games. Bring on FIFA!

Sober

Dude still building on that PC is slow as hell, has to ask for help instead of just trial and error, and his girlfriend is not having any of his shit

:lol

Grief.exe

Divinity won SteamGAF goty last year and Rogue legacy won it the year before that. Neither of those games won because of story. MGSV has a better story and gameplay than both of those games.

Gameplay is king. I'm pretty sure everyone's favorite game here in this community is Dark Souls. That is a game with barely any story. I think gamers in the current industry respect devs a lot when they make a very long games (100+ hours) and with it make amazing combat/gameplay. That is a lot harder to do than write an amazing story imo.

IzyW492.gif

An attitude which is probably the reason I'm mainly switching over to movies an TV shows now.

You're all over the place fam.

hohoXD123

Sure, if you don't pay attention to anything while playing it. However there is a lot of lore to be found if you read item descriptions and piece things together. Just because it doesn't tell its story through the traditional means of cutscenes doesn't mean it lacks it.

Sure, if you don't pay attention to anything while playing it. However there is a lot of lore to be found if you read item descriptions and piece things together. Just because it doesn't tell its story through the traditional means of cutscenes doesn't mean it lacks it.

That's really more of a good setting/world than what people generally mean when they say "story". Which is the events that unfold during the game.

Story first games have a place in this industry for sure. But the games with the highest amount of copies sold, and bigger fanbase are gameplay centric.

This is an interactive medium, some people don't have the time to play even 7 hours of just cutscenes/text because they seek something that gives them that high amount of interactivity where the game responds to whatever input they are using.

Regardless of the hate for mobile, the biggest games there are: "time wasters" with little to no story and/or offer high amount of replayability in short busts without investing too much into it.

I personally don't have any game that is story mostly anywhere near my top 20, but doesn't mean I can't enjoy them. They have their places, considering that they have their hardcore fanbase, but they are still niche.

For those that enjoy games with minimal "gameplay" or rather, they find X game's gameplay to be the weakest part, you'll have to accept that those "storyless" games will always be the frontrunners in an industry that it is all about interactivity.

"Gameplay" will always be king in this medium, and even those experiences are stories by themselves. Hence, why games like Minecraft, Dota/LoL, CS:GO are so big.

Enthus

My goal of buying a Steam link with only trading card sales is going well so far. Up to $12, with a lot of stuff sitting on the market. I still have a few hundred card drops remaining.

Dsyndrome

"Gameplay" will always be king in this medium, and even those experiences are stories by themselves. Hence, why games like Minecraft, Dota/LoL, CS:GO are so big.
If by king you mean most played/bought, sure. Otherwise, it's an opinion, which everyone has a different one. Story>Gameplay for me, and that's my opinion.

Nzyme32

God damn this is annoying.

I thought I'd play through Game of Thrones which I won here thanks to Freedom, but it is the TellTale DRM version. All is fine until you want to play the next episode after the first, at which point you have to download it - in game.

Not only do you have to stay in game to do it, but TellTale's servers are complete shit. They are slow and unstable. And to think that is only for one episode; there are another 4 to go after that.

I know I shouldn't complain since I was kindly gifted it, but it is a wonderful demonstration of why you shouldn't buy direct from TellTale on PC.

I thought I'd play through Game of Thrones which I won here thanks to Freedom, but it is the TellTale DRM version. All is fine until you want to play the next episode after the first, at which point you have to download it - in game.

Not only do you have to stay in game to do it, but TellTale's servers are complete shit. They are slow and unstable. And to think that is only for one episode; there are another 4 to go after that.

I know I shouldn't complain since I was kindly gifted it, but it is a wonderful demonstration of why you shouldn't buy direct from TellTale on PC.
I made the mistake of buying it off of GMG earlier in the year. It's the telltale version. Getting refunds from GMG is ass, so I just ate the loss and bought it again on steam, lol.

Deitus

Ugh, why am I so tired today. For the last few days I've actually been getting a full night's sleep, which is a relative rarity for me, and still I can barely keep my eyes open.

An attitude which is probably the reason I'm mainly switching over to movies and TV shows now.

I did not know FIFA games had a story.

Still need to go back to that. I dropped both Supergiant's games after like an hour, by no means a criticism, just how it panned out.

Hey, when did you get a name change?

One thing is for sure, Dark Souls is the best GFWL game out there. A high bar, indeed.

Just think, the TellTale DRM resources could've gone into making their engine suck a little less. Then maybe every fourth comment on their games wouldn't end with, "...except for their shitty engine."

kiyomi

Those feel like very specific instances to me where I think you're not just describing generic "gameplay", but a sense of agency and genuine interaction, particularly in Minecraft and in MOBAs. Something like DOTA is mechanically very sound and the production values are high, but what sells it is the agency of the player, their willingness to engage and learn its' intricacies. Same with stuff like Dark Souls. I agree that's why they're so popular.

Where I think I differ is that there are a lot of games could conceivably be considered gameplay-first videogames, but that offer little in the way of agency. Assassins' Creed is a prime example to me. There's nothing wrong with it mechanically but it never lets the player learn and progress outside of its' own systems. It's a linear learning curve in an open world. CoD single player is kinda the same to me too.

I like games with good stories and good gameplay. I like either and I like both, and I like one even if the other is weak.

Deitus said:
Hey, when did you get a name change?

A few days ago, I'm shocked someone noticed, haha.

Nzyme32

I made the mistake of buying it off of GMG earlier in the year. It's the telltale version. Getting refunds from GMG is ass, so I just ate the loss and bought it again on steam, lol.

That is actually what I intend to do once the game is cheap enough, or I am suitable bored enough.

Just think, the TellTale DRM resources could've gone into making their engine suck a little less. Then maybe every fourth comment on their games wouldn't end with, "...except for their shitty engine."

That would have been a much better investment. Although I don't particularly mind the look of the game as some have complained of. I do dislike the animations the stability and sheer wonky-ness of the engine. Indeed the games wouldn't be so bad except for their shitty engine

I think that should fit the 4th comment rule

I just tried Kombucha. Not bad.
On topic: Just got to the Bloody Baron Quest in Witcher 3. I like it, but I keep forgetting to turn the autosave interval down some.

Ozium

youtube red is great because it allows youtube to generate their own exclusive must-see content like pewdiepie: the show

wow

If by king you mean most played/bought, sure. Otherwise, it's an opinion, which everyone has a different one. Story>Gameplay for me, and that's my opinion.
For the individuals? Those things are pretty much preferences, and you can enjoy games with weak or little to no gameplay for sure. No one should tell you otherwise. For industry? It tells pretty clear what games have the strongest pull of consumers so they will keep putting effort in those.

I don't want to dig into whether they are quality games or not. That's just another demon in the closet.

Those feel like very specific instances to me where I think you're not just describing generic "gameplay", but a sense of agency and genuine interaction, particularly in Minecraft and in MOBAs. Something like DOTA is mechanically very sound and the production values are high, but what sells it is the agency of the player, their willingness to engage and learn its' intricacies. Same with stuff like Dark Souls. I agree that's why they're so popular.

Where I think I differ is that there are a lot of games could conceivably be considered gameplay-first videogames, but that offer little in the way of agency. Assassins' Creed is a prime example to me. There's nothing wrong with it mechanically but it never lets the player learn and progress outside of its' own systems. It's a linear learning curve in an open world. CoD single player is kinda the same to me too.

I like games with good stories and good gameplay. I like either and I like both, and I like one even if the other is weak.

I'm using "gameplay" really loosely here. They differ from game to game, and choices are also part of the "gameplay". What you are talking about highly mechanical games that reward experience and good use, and I think we are both on the same page why they are popular.

Less mechanically inclined games like Assassin's Creed have a lot more to offerd than the combat, which I think it is pretty crap, yet it has a lot of things I like so people tend to overlook or deal with parts they don't like because they REALLY like the other parts. My favorite part on Assassin's Creed is parkouting and exploring and exploring ancients cities, why great music (AC2 trilogy). You can't believe the times I've heard people that have told me they just tolerate the gameplay in Persona 3/4 so they can get all the story, and mostly enjoy the music/characters.
Somewhat OT, but since I didn't enjoy neither Persona 4 plot/characters or its shitty dungeons, I don't like the game at all.

There are too many types of "gameplay" so talking about it, it would be hundreds of pages. Besides, I think separating games through Story/"Gameplay" is pretty dumb since they are part of the same package. Some devs feel "forced" to add combat or puzzles so their product is more "gamey", but I think they are doing a disservice to whatever are creating, I feel the same about games with little plot that feel devs have to give it some excuse plot for whatever is happening.

There are too many arguments about games that non-games or have no story to be enjoyable. I think people should just accept that certain genres are more popular and that no every game should cater to everyone. They will be happier.

Take for example TWD winning GOTY. I don't agree with it, but not because it is a "non-game", it was because even though I enjoy it, it is not the kind of experience that gives me what I want from playing other games like, say, DOTA or CSGO, where I get better and I can feel like I have beaten a tough challenge. Those experiences are great, and it is what I like about this medium compared to others. However, I can see why others, that don't seek a challenge or just want to get invested in the kind of stories that gaming can give them with their interactivity compared to non-interactive mediums like books/films.

Well, I said my piece anyway.

I missed most of it yesterday. I'm in now though. Hope it continues to deliver

2500$ of PC parts and 12.5 hours later still not done

Not sure how this is even possible, really. Whoever said it was LEGOs was pretty much right. Worst case, you fry a part, you order a new one and put it together right next time (or you man up and unbend some pins in the CPU socket).

In fifteen minutes, I believe.

Short ass beta for PC, huh?
Ryu can eat a dick. Definitely done playing for a bit after my BS loss to one.

qQMaf6w.jpg

Beat Gat out of Hell this afternoon, for a stand alone expansion to Saints Roiw IV it's pretty solid. There isn't much of a campaign to speak of in Gat out of Hell, it's literally just completing all of the open world side activities to take over the territory but from a gameplay perspective it's just as fun as SRIV, if not moreso. Gat out of Hell is also much more stable than SRIV. Didn't encounter any weird hangs or streaming issues while playing.

The biggest difference between the two games is the flight mechanic, which is great. It's way better than SRIV's gliding. You can remove the stamina constraints pretty quickly for unlimited flight time. You abandon the ground and vehicles way quicker in GooH than SRIV. They do provide you with all of your powers from the start with the first real mission and, if you target the open world missions for them, you can grab every element upgrade very early as well. The powers, while similar to SRIV, are pretty inventive. They kind of go to town with the supernatural/biblical bent.

Playing as Johnny Gat and Kinzie was kind of fun but I missed the character customisation, I like the create-a-character and removing it sorta impacts the open world design. Without plastic surgery clinics, tattoo shops, region specific clothing stores, automtotive repair/customisation shops, even without multiple gateways/safehouses, there's not a whole lot of reason to go through regions of the city once you gather all of the collectibles. There's the challenges but they're super grind-y and it gets old fast just doing mayhem sprees to grind up killing x enemy with x weapon or ability. I've completed 98% of GotH but only have 2/3rds of the achievements. Don't think I'll keep the game installed to farm those remaining achievements.

I got my 8$ worth so I'm not complaining. Gat out of Hell was a pretty fun distraction, great if you're hankering for more Saints Row after IV. I just don't know where they're going to take the series after this, although GooH's ending kinda of hints at some ideas.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
finaaaaaally. all the tricks in OlliOlli2 down yasssssss

Sarcasm

Doesn't read confirmed :-o

Uzzy

Short ass beta for PC, huh?
Ryu can eat a dick. Definitely done playing for a bit after my BS loss to one.

Yeah, not the longest amount of time, but at least the server was up and running for most of it. I was worried that the cross-platform play wouldn't work, or that we'd have server issues, but thankfully I didn't see any. Towards the end I had some hellishly laggy matches though, but they were against Russians, so that was probably due to the connection.

Still, I got 9 hours out of it. Would have gotten more if I didn't get salty and run off to EU4, then have some vitally important Umizoomi to watch. Good stuff really, I enjoyed playing as Cammy, Chunners and Karin. Tried R Mika out but I just can't get the hang of those command grabs. For now though..

Arthea

Your discussion about what's game and what's not reminded me of certain movie buffs (you all know the sort) that don't consider any action movie a movie, but pile of junk not worth even mentioning, let alone watching, but I digress.

Gaming always was all encompassing universe, there is nothing wrong calling Telltale games - games, what rubs me wrong way that they are called adventure games, when in fact they are VNs, I mean modern Telltale games. Now many would argue that VNs aren't games either. IDK, gaming is about interactivity, all kinds of interactivity, I don't see why interactive novels can't be called games, they aren't books and they aren't movies, they are games.

As for GOTY, it is a popularity contest, it has very little to do with best games, it even can't be about best games in fact, as nobody plays all games, nobody is qualified to know what the best game is anyway. And it's not possible to compare games of different genres. So, you better guys vote for Trails when the time comes, because I need my TC, I need it bad.

Movies like the Raid are very well reviewed amongst film critics so I'm not really sure if the people you're talking about exist. I mean there are those that think the latest Die Hard movies are horrible but that's most.

There are those who might argue an action movie can't have the depth that the Double Life of Veronique or whatever has but they wouldn't be wrong. Don't think I've ever read someone say action films aren't movies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom