• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

chixdiggit

Hard Reset is 75% off.

It's normally $20 everywhere else. IT's $3.75 here.

I know "wait for daily deals" but there is no way it will be cheaper and even if it was, how the fuck much cheaper could it be?

Huge new DLC expansion seals the deal.

Bought.

Agreed. Buy Hard Reset.

KarmaCow

People say its fun but the screenshots look generic as fuck to me

The art style isn't great but the actual gameplay is great. Rather I should say the level design and puzzles in the dungeons are great. The combat is serviceable, but you figure out the 'trick' to it pretty early and it works for most of the game. If you're into dungeon crawling, it's worth it especially since it's getting a level creator in a patch soon.

PaTOO.jpg

For some games this really is okay. Just use your best judgement.

BiggNife

Oh, they do, but the discount is poor relative to the age of games. Capcom just... doesn't get it.

Edit: As far as past years are concerned, anyway. Perhaps the company has grown wiser!

I swear to god if Street Fighter 4 vanilla goes on sale ONE MORE TIME

Eternia

I'm looking at Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes and maybe Witcher 2 today (if it gets picked).

On the radar:
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Fortune Summoners
Costume Quest
Stacking
Dungeon Defenders DLC
Magicka DLC

Activision having a sale? Say it isn't so!

Blur,
Call of Duty,
Call of Duty® 2,
Call of Duty: United Offensive,
GUN™,
Prototype™,
Singularity™,
TimeShift™,
Transformers™: War for Cybertron™,
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

All for $50. Not bad. Vampire: Bloodlines is on 25% sale. Here's hoping it gets a bigger deal and everyone can buy this awesomeness!

misterF

Neo Member
Done for the day! Spent 20$, got :

-Ys The Oath in Felghana
-PixelJunk Eden soundtrack bundle
-Legend of Grimrock
-Syberia 2
-Terraria

5 new games in one day, still have Skyrim and The Witcher 2 in my backlog, just got The Secret World, 31 items on my wishlist, 9 more days of sales to go.

1-D_FTW

I'm living on the wild side. Bought Big Bang Racing, Race 07, Race 07 Retro Expansion pack for a total of 8.xx dollars. Probably pick up Hard Reset, but I'll have to retry the demo in 3D to see if it really wows me enough.

This Steam sale sucks.

Real games, bro.

You were already warned you weren't getting much of anything for under 2.00 dollars. Not sure why you're surprised at all.

kswiston

It's hilarious how after 5 years or so of sales and warning people still ignore the "wait for the daily deal" thing. Have some patience people, damn.

I have been part of all the sales since winter 2008 (don't remember if they even had dailies back then), and I don't agree with this completely. If it is not A) from a major pub, B) a recently released indie or small pub title, or C) a popular indie or small pup title, it is probably not going to get a Steam daily. Anything that is already 75% off or more won't get a daily sale for instance. If a game you really want meets those criteria, AND you plan on playing it before July 22nd, it's alright to buy it ahead of time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to wait for the Daily Deals, but if I were to only get 1 Ys game, which should it be (regardless of price)? The only Ys game I've played is Ark of Napishtim, which I really enjoyed.

Oath in Felghana is more like Ark of Napishtim, but better.

Origin is more like a dungeon crawler, there's no overworld, just one massive dungeon with various themes. Has three playable characters, and only one really plays like Adol, more bonuses, and stuff like that. Each character's story is a bit shorter than Oath's though.

You'll get conflicting opinions on which is better. I prefer Origin, but only slightly. Oath might be a better choice since it's more familiar.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll have to keep an eye out for Transformers should it become a Daily; it's not on Steam AU for reasons unknown.

I have been part of all the sales since winter 2008 (don't remember if they even had dailies back then), and I don't agree with this completely. If it is not A) from a major pub, B) a recently released indie or small pub title, or C) a popular indie or small pup title, it is probably not going to get a Steam daily. Anything that is already 75% off or more won't get a daily sale for instance. If a game you really want meets those criteria, AND you plan on playing it before July 22nd, it's alright to buy it ahead of time.

Pretty much. After seeing these sales multiple times a person can get a good idea of what has a chance of being a daily and what has absolutely no chance. And if you know you're going to buy it then waiting the final day makes no difference at all.

Neki

Telling me to wait the Daily Deal is stupid if I want to actually play the game right now. If I can play the game earlier for 3-4 days and it costs me 10% more, I guess I'm going to take that trade, because I buy the game to play them, not to save money.

Mad Max

Great, I decided to buy Deus Ex:HR and after paypal transfers the money I get an error saying that the purchase went wrong and that I should contact support. Does anyone know if this is this a known problem with steam? (I've already contacted support about this btw)

Interfectum

Telling me to wait the Daily Deal is stupid if I want to actually play the game right now. If I can play the game earlier for 3-4 days and it costs me 10% more, I guess I'm going to take that trade, because I buy the game to play them, not to save money.

Wait for the daily deal.

Zomba13

Well if you buy the game to play them and not save money why even wait for the sale at all? Why not buy the game day one at full price? If you've managed to wait long enough for a game to have some kind of reduction then you should also be able to wait a few days to see if it gets any cheaper.

graywolf323

If you been on Raptr, you may have gotten the Rewards for Serious Sam 3: BFE 75% off the standard edition on Steam.

My god...

debating about grabbing it now or waiting for a daily

afraid they might fix the coupon discount if I wait though

edit: screw it, grabbed it for $3.40 and stashed it in my inventory (I already own the game)

BadAss2961

I really really want AE to go on sale

But it won't because Capcpom
Same here. It's #1 on my wishlist, but I believe it's still overpriced at $39.99... Even if it does go on sale, i'm betting on 50%, which isn't enough for me to consider buying.

EDIT - Okay, so it's half off now. Maybe there is a chance at a tempting daily deal.

BiggNife

You're entitled to do what you want, no one is stopping you

But I hope you realize that a lot of the time it's more than 10% off that gets cut in the dailies

Usually it's closer to 25% or 30%

But if you still don't care then by all means go for it

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just realized - that is a stupid line of thought. The first game will change after 6 hours and the others follow in 2 hour steps. So a new deal every 6 hours.

The first game will be a new deal every 6 hours
The second game will be a new deal every 8 hours
The third game will be a new deal every 10 hours
The fourth game will be a new deal every 12 hours

That's a sliding window of crazyness.

I really wish they just made new deals every 12 hours (and we only got different timings this time because it all had to start at 10am).

IF the flash deals duration don't change (which I think they will), this is the madness we'll encounter:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq2rXl7gyxo5dFlla0lIUGZBVFpBLVh4Wkd6amtTNmc

Disclaimer: Math is hard, so I might be completely wrong.

Symphonic

But the whole point of a sale is to save money! The reason you haven't bought the game in the first place is because you were waiting for a sale to save money, yes?

ZZMitch

Thinking about Grimrock, but I dunno how much I will play it and I am trying to be a bit more conservative for this sale. I only have $100 to spend after all. Kicking myself for buying Sword of Islam (CKII DLC) last week.

Voted for Saints Row III.

Neki

Well if you buy the game to play them and not save money why even wait for the sale at all? Why not buy the game day one at full price? If you've managed to wait long enough for a game to have some kind of reduction then you should also be able to wait a few days to see if it gets any cheaper.

Well you're talking about a 50% reduction against a 75% reduction compared to full price versus 50%. The benefit I get from waiting for a sale is much higher than waiting for a daily deal, to me at least. I just think it's stupid to always tell people to wait for the daily deal, because some games don't even get the daily deal.

kai3345

Banned

Ok, but its hardly stupid.

If you want to buy the game right now, go ahead, more power to you, but calling someone stupid for wanting to save money is just dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom