• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Telling me to wait the Daily Deal is stupid if I want to actually play the game right now. If I can play the game earlier for 3-4 days and it costs me 10% more, I guess I'm going to take that trade, because I buy the game to play them, not to save money.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. I sincerely hope you're not serious

I'm looking at Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes and maybe Witcher 2 today (if it gets picked).

On the radar:
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Fortune Summoners
Costume Quest
Stacking
Dungeon Defenders DLC
Magicka DLC

Going to have to say: Do not buy Fortune Summoners.

I thought it was crap. Try the demo.

The first game will be a new deal every 6 hours
The second game will be a new deal every 8 hours
The third game will be a new deal every 10 hours
The fourth game will be a new deal every 12 hours

That's a sliding window of crazyness.

Is it confirmed that this is how it will work? Because if not, then I get the feeling that when each flash deal expires, a new one will get added with a lifespan of eight hours. With two hours of separation between each deal, that will allow for four ongoing flash deals at once at all times. I think the longer lifespans at the beginning for some games is just to set up that 2-hour difference between the four of them.

Cheech

No KoA: Reckoning deals :(. I know its 25 on amazon but thats the origin version.

I've decided that $5 is my magic price for KoA: Reckoning. The fact the developer is dead kind of... depreciated the game for me. No more sequels, no more expansions, nothing. Dead.

Einbroch

Banned
Very, very unlikely that a flash deal item will become a lower priced daily deal. Maybe the same price, but even that is unlikely.

Who knows, it's all new. But I'd be willing to bet that the flash deal items are firmly flash deal items with maybe a "best of" or "best of that didn't win" daily deal at the end of the summer sale.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is it confirmed that this is how it will work? Because if not, then I get the feeling that when each flash deal expires, a new one will get added with a lifespan of eight hours. With two hours of separation between each deal, that will allow for four ongoing flash deals at once at all times. I think the longer lifespans at the beginning for some games is just to set up that 2-hour difference between the four of them.

This HAS to be it, otherwise it's just plain madness (as I described by my hastly made spreadsheet).

It can't be the way it is now.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. I sincerely hope you're not serious

I wait for the dailies but I could easily see people wanting to play a game earlier. If somethings up for $15 and it's a game they've been wanting to try out for a long time, why not? I wouldn't feel bad paying $15 if ten days later it went on sale for $7.50 or whatever.

Damage so far:

Indie Pack 1 (already owned Lone Survivor, don't care about Baconing)
Pixeljunk Eden + Soundtrack
Hard Reset

Eyeing the Ys games because I seriously doubt they'll become dailies.

PatzCU

Telling me to wait the Daily Deal is stupid if I want to actually play the game right now. If I can play the game earlier for 3-4 days and it costs me 10% more, I guess I'm going to take that trade, because I buy the game to play them, not to save money.

If you're actually playing the games you buy on a Steam sale, you're doing it wrong.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wow wow wow! That Bethesda pack is soooo tempting! I haven't played Skyrim yet! D:

P.S. Do research before buying Id pack. A lot of games didn't work on my system when I bought the package last year.

Thing is, is waiting to see if Most of the Bethesda pack goes on daily sale (and ends up being cheaper than the pack), or would be better to get the pack. Cause I'd like Skyrim and all the New Vegas stuff.

If you're actually playing the games you buy on a Steam sale, you're doing it wrong.

At first reading this, it sounds wrong.

But when I think about it. It's very true.

Still have 50 some odd games I never touched from last summer's sale.

benjipwns

Banned
The longest deal at the start was 12 hours.

I had completely forgotten about this despite being super hyped for it like two weeks ago.

Well, now I'm back to SUPER HYPE!

Made a gif just for the occasion

iR0cz8Md4njwJ.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Damage so far:

Indie Pack 1 (already owned Lone Survivor, don't care about Baconing)
Pixeljunk Eden + Soundtrack
Hard Reset

Eyeing the Ys games because I seriously doubt they'll become dailies.

Oath in Felghana is going to be part of the day 5 Indie Bundle (Ys, Audiosurf, Gemini Rue, Tiny Big Bang Story, Greed Corp), so it's almost certainly not going to be a daily.

Origin could though, but I kind of doubt it.

The first game will be a new deal every 6 hours
The second game will be a new deal every 8 hours
The third game will be a new deal every 10 hours
The fourth game will be a new deal every 12 hours

That's a sliding window of crazyness.

I really wish they just made new deals every 12 hours (and we only got different timings this time because it all had to start at 10am).

IF the flash deals duration don't change (which I think they will), this is the madness we'll encounter:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq2rXl7gyxo5dFlla0lIUGZBVFpBLVh4Wkd6amtTNmc

Disclaimer: Math is hard, so I might be completely wrong.

I thought this was how it would be at first too. But now I think it's actually going to be staggered 12 hour sales. The only reason the first 3 games didnt get 12 hours is because they wanted to have 4 up right from the beginning and they had to do the 2 hour stagger to start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom