• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Civ III Complete? I'd like to play Civilization on my laptop, but it chugs on IV as I approach endgame.

I played vanilla Civ III back in the day and was somewhat let down, but remember hearing that it improved considerably with the expansions. And yes, I know it's only $1.24 but I don't want to waste the time installing and playing it if the game is still the black sheep of the series.

Civ III is still good, just IV is better in almost every way.

Apdiddy

I've spent about $88 so far. Thankfully, I got Civ V years ago and I would have happily bought Gods & Kings expansion if it were a lot cheaper. Otherwise, I think I bought more than I planned, happy with what I got, and I'll sit the rest of it out.

Of course, I said that after I bought Ys Origin.

So tempted by the Left 4 Dead Bundle for $7.49. Calculated if both L4D and L4D 4 pack was cheaper with 6 other people. It's would cost me the same amount.

Karmum

Banned
Well, I enjoyed (still am) the hell out of it. My game of the year so far. Playing through it for the fifth time. It's definitely not for everyone, as some people seem to hate it.

To me it's the most fun I've had shooting people since... I don't even remember. It doesn't have the vibe of the original two games but I think it may be even better. Amazing level of detail, great graphics... If you can spend that much, I think you won't be disappointed. But I've seen polarized opinions, so you may also want to hear someone else's before pulling the trigger.
Well I know I would enjoy the game, but I'm being so cheap. $30 won't kill me at all, just being so frugal it's stupid.

To be safe, it would be best to wait for the winter sale imo. Max Payne 3 is going to have plenty of DLC over time and a game of the year or collection is obvious. This is the pattern with modern Rockstar games so it's best to simply wait for the GOTY version if you want the maximum bang for your buck.
I'm patient, so I could definitely do this. I'll do the more responsible (as if that's fun) thing and just save it...for now.

There is no way I'm only spending $5 on this sale. Still, thanks for the opinions!

kitzkozan

Well, I enjoyed (still am) the hell out of it. My game of the year so far. Playing through it for the fifth time. It's definitely not for everyone, as some people seem to hate it.

To me it's the most fun I've had shooting people since... I don't even remember. It doesn't have the vibe of the original two games but I think it may be even better. Amazing level of detail, great graphics... If you can spend that much, I think you won't be disappointed. But I've seen polarized opinions, so you may also want to hear someone else's before pulling the trigger.

To be safe, it would be best to wait for the winter sale imo. Max Payne 3 is going to have plenty of DLC over time and a game of the year or collection is obvious. This is the pattern with modern Rockstar games so it's best to simply wait for the GOTY version if you want the maximum bang for your buck. I say that as someone who bought Red dead redemption for the Xbox 360 for a fair price and traded it in for the game of the year version. Bought GTA IV full price and ended up selling it and bought the GTA IV complete edition for less than both DLC combined on Xbox live (10$) .

Retne

I've held out from getting Witcher 2 so far..but now CIV V flash deal is just killing me to buy. I must resist.. Any feedback on how Civ V is? I haven't played a Civ game since CIV III.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The change to hexagonal grids and not allowing combat units to stack makes for a bit of a slower feel but there aren't any stacks of death either. It also makes zerg rushing a city a little harder to do since you can only get 6 units around a city.

The AI is a little wonky and they've hidden the fudging AI update in the Gods and Kings expansion.

Even given all the above I think the game is well worth the $12.50 I paid for it. I've put a lot of hours in and there is still a lot of variety to be had. Right now I'm going through and trying out different mods and some of them are pretty fun.

You may want to download the demo though because they have hidden away a lot of the micromanagement UI and it can feel dumbed down to some old hat Civ players.

Levyne

Banned
Hmm, this might not be the right place to ask but Witcher 2 is really choppy for me. Even at lowest settings everything off. It's a second gen i7 and a 555m. Urgh. I don't care if I have to play at low but it's always so choppy...any ideas?

Bentendo

Right now I'm downloading Dear Esther just because I'm curious what the game is all about. My brother played it and told me it wasn't anything special but it looks interesting. I'm in the mood to stay up for another hour or two anyway so maybe I can actually finish it tonight (I've heard it only takes an hour to beat).

I'm taking on my backlog headfirst. So far this week I've been able to beat Just Cause 2 and Portal 2.

Momentary

Banned
I'm too ashamed to even say how much I've spent so far... Let's just say I opted to buy a 2TB external yesterday so that I won't have to keep worrying about not having anymore space on my laptop's hard drives.

Type2

For the purchasers of Ys Origin, is anyone playing as hugo? I feel like a moron for not being able to pass the first real jumping section with him. As far as I can understand the shield only makes him glide and I have no dash. Im playing on an xbox 360 controller, is there an air dash button or something?
thanks for the help, pretty embarrassing that im stuck so early :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hell ya Binding of Isaac is fun. I've sunk over 100 hours into that damn game. It's great because it runs on my work computer so I can do a run or two when I feel like taking a break. If you do decide to buy it make sure you buy the DLC as a gift. The DLC changes the game permanently and it makes the game a bit harder. You probably want to feel comfortable with the base game before adding the DLC otherwise you will spend your first 50+ deaths learning how to not die.
So THAT's why I find the game so unbearably difficult! Sure have helped to know this before, perhaps Valve should add this info to the store page. Anyway, I won't give up, one day I'll be able to finish the 4th level!

I'm too ashamed to even say how much I've spent so far... Let's just say I opted to buy a 2TB external yesterday so that I won't have to keep worrying about not having anymore space on my laptop's hard drives.

I'm about to pop another hard drive in my laptop. Luckily it supports 2 of them :)

Bentendo

Haha, the worst part about this all? It's only day 3. It's not even close to being over.

Artofwar420

Anyone get a weird bug where it says in Steam you DON'T have the Wonders of The Ancient World DLC? It does show up in the DLC tab of Civ V.

cHS6k.png

In fact, apparently I've bought it twice before in sales because of this according to my account:

2dlJg.png

And I almost bought it AGAIN.

Edit:

Here it is giving me the option of BUYING it again. I'm not crazy am I? Has the sale claimed my sanity already?

5pG07.png

Do I have to change the button layout, or is it the same as the 360 version?

Not sure what you're asking. Are the controls the same as the 360 version? Don't think so. A lot of people were pissed when the 360 version came out and CDPR didn't transfer the new controls to the PC version. But, it does support 360 controllers, just plug in and you're good to go. Don't map buttons or anything.

Official digital soundtrack

All 4 cradle of Civilization Map packs (Mediterranean, Asia, Americas, Mesopotamia)

Double civilization and Scenario pack: Spain and Inca

Civilization and Scenario pack: Polynesia, Denmark (The Vikings)

Civilization pack: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)

Explorer's Map pack

And the core game: Civilization V

ctrl F gods and kings. pass

Retne

So THAT's why I find the game so unbearably difficult! Sure have helped to know this before, perhaps Valve should add this info to the store page. Anyway, I won't give up, one day I'll be able to finish the 4th level!

You'll learn the enemy patterns soon enough. You just have to see the different room layouts and enemy combinations enough until you build your own dodging layouts in your head. It's really all about taking as little damage as possible and not letting the troll engine put you on tilt.

I kind of want to get Orcs Must Die! but I'm limiting my budget a lot....I'll wait for tomorrow's deals, if there aren't any good ones I'll get it.

Any Steamplay games I should watch out? I need more games for my Mac.

Grah, sorry Witcher 2. I'll just have to wait and see if you get any cheaper. I just looked at my Steam backlog and realized there's no way I'm gonna finish all of them until the next sale.

Lenz44

Banned
Gotten a decent amount so far:
Plants vs Zombies GOTY
From Dust
Portal 2
The Witcher 2
4 games under 30 bucks, can't complain here

Oscar

Civ V question:

I'm only really interested in playing the American and Aztec civilizations, should I stick to the base game @ $7.49

Smash88

Banned
Hmm, this might not be the right place to ask but Witcher 2 is really choppy for me. Even at lowest settings everything off. It's a second gen i7 and a 555m. Urgh. I don't care if I have to play at low but it's always so choppy...any ideas?

You're on a low end graphics card on a laptop. Not surprising really.

If you haven't you can try updating all drivers as well as DirectX, Nvidia, Audio.

If that doesn't fix it, it's most likely your laptop can't handle it, but it seems weird as your laptop should at least be able to handle it on low.

Bentendo

It makes me feel better to know others are in the same pit if not a slightly deeper one at this point. Day 3... *shudders*

I've already spent over $100. The way I look at it though is that it amounts to about the price of two AAA launch titles. If you're curious I've purchased over 20 games so far, so I'd say that's a good deal really.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You'll learn the enemy patterns soon enough. You just have to see the different room layouts and enemy combinations enough until you build your own dodging layouts in your head. It's really all about taking as little damage as possible and not letting the troll engine put you on tilt.
And what about the items? There are bombs, items that activate with the spacebar and others that activate with Q, it's all really confusing. A little tutorial or help menu would surely come in handy (not sure if googling for a guide would be similar to cheating, so I'll try to avoid that for a while).

LobLob

Banned
If it makes anyone feel better, i only budgeted 50 bucks for the summer sale and i already bought a second 50 dollar voucher, so yeah. UGH!!

Dynamic3

I had the same issue, there's a file in the op of the perf thread that fixes it.

Has anyone played Port Royale 3? I thought it was a city building game like the early Tropico but it's like Pirates!(which I like) Is it any good?

Branson

So you guys think the Witcher 2 is going to get any lower? Also what is the difference between the directors cut and the regular enhanced edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom