• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

I am up to $99.95 so far for the sale. Around $45.00 of that was Gifts for a good friend and Gifts for the Gaf Community. Not too bad. I think it was a total of 20 games purchased. So I am avg. about $5.00 per game so far which is pretty damn impressive being that almost all these games were 75% off..so the savings is pretty damn incredible.

For me, there are games popping up that I totally forgot about or at the time of release figured I would wait for a sale. Civ V for example, my buddy and I wanted to get this a while ago but too expensive and he is not working..but for $12.50 for the GOTY Edition, I bought 2!

LiK

I generally wait for sales on PC titles but I'm a cheap ass penny pincher. It doesn't have to be the summer/winter sale but I generally don't buy at full price unless I'm super hyped which hasn't happened since Portal 2 and I got that for $45.

i buy most console games at full price if i really want them day 1. but i usually hold off on PC games since these kinda deals will show up.

stupei

Gods and Kings is slightly cheaper than it was a few hours ago, right, or am I crazy?

Still feels a bit pricy to take the leap on a game I play with such irregularity but I've heard it changes the dynamics so exhaustively for those who like to go for cultural wins, so it's pretty tempting.

I'm missing the "You already own Batman Arkham City skins pack" on steam
Hope it's just an error.
But true, beat the game + bonus challenges to get new clothes...ehh stupid idea

I'd send support a message about it. Tell them you can't check in game since you have to beat it to use them. I just checked mine, I don't have a CD key for it like the rest of the DLC, but when I go to the store page for it, it does pop up saying I own it, and it is there in game.

What my whole situation looks like:

3XOy0.png

Hawk269

Is it stupid that I want to buy l4d2 even though I'm not into fps?

Not at all. At $5.00 it is hard to pass any game that once originally had a $50.00 price tag unless it is a genre you dispise or you know the game is complete crap.

Been reading people bitching about this or that game and when I look at the price and it is $2.50 why argue.??? At these prices, it is not too big of a deal to take a jump at a game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Holy balls... Dat Civ pack.

What Civ V DLC are any good? I only have the regular game. All the DLC in that collection costs about $10 on its own. Should I get it?

Also, damn, that Batman pack is good, too.

Hawk269

Gods and Kings is slightly cheaper than it was a few hours ago, right, or am I crazy?

Still feels a bit pricy to take the leap on a game I play with such irregularity but I've heard it changes the dynamics so exhaustively for those who like to go for cultural wins, so it's pretty tempting.

Gods and Kings oddly is only at 25% off. It is currently more expensive that the actual GOTY base game. It is weird everything for Civ V is 75% except for that expansion.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone get a weird bug where it says in Steam you DON'T have the Wonders of The Ancient World DLC? It does show up in the DLC tab of Civ V.

cHS6k.png

In fact, apparently I've bought it twice before in sales because of this according to my account:

2dlJg.png

And I almost bought it AGAIN.

Edit:

Here it is giving me the option of BUYING it again. I'm not crazy am I? Has the sale claimed my sanity already?

5pG07.png

Strange. While the Store occasionally believes you not to own a particular item, once you click the "Purchase for myself" button in checkout, Steam runs a proper subscription check and should spit back an error if it detects a duplicate among your cart.

Edit: The only possible explanation that comes to mind is that the DLC bundle was then its own subscription, not a package with the two individual subscriptions. To give you an idea of what I mean, I was able to accidentally buy Majesty 2 Collection despite owning Majesty 2 as the the former is its own product -- it doesn't bring together the existing Majesty 2 and DLC subs that are on Steam, as you see with other collections/packages/etc. That, or the Occam's razor of Steam is just buggered at the moment.

Retne

Man I'm really hemming and hawing over Batman: AC. On the one hand that's not a bad deal. On the other do I really want to pay $10 for a friggin SecuROM title?

It's also hard to tell if I'd even get around to playing it since GW2 is around the corner and I know that is going to eat up quite a bit of my gaming time.

bakeray

Snagged Gods and Kings & the extra civs DLC, came to $31, which is only a dollar more than the xpack normally is.

I figure the xpack isn't going to get any cheaper than that since it came out less than a month ago, if it does, oh well, I had already planned to buy it anyway.

CIV-GAF revival?

Proc

Holy balls... Dat Civ pack.

What Civ V DLC are any good? I only have the regular game. All the DLC in that collection costs about $10 on its own. Should I get it?

Also, damn, that Batman pack is good, too.

I bought everything except the map packs because I'm sure they already exist in steam workshop. I'm more curious on how the scenarios play out because I've been hearing some good buzz on how fun the Gods and Kings scenario is. I picked up the scenario dlc and the expansion. I don't think it will go further below 25% for this sale since it consistently tops the steam sales charts and isn't over a month old.

the3ye

I'd send support a message about it. Tell them you can't check in game since you have to beat it to use them. I just checked mine, I don't have a CD key for it like the rest of the DLC, but when I go to the store page for it, it does pop up saying I own it, and it is there in game.

3XOy0.png

hmmm I have "requesting key..." in my CD KEY tab
I will give them some time...

squid

Is Poker Night at the Inventory worth it for 40% off at $3? Haven't really played Poker much before, but love Sam and Max & Strongbad.

Was checking Batman AC Franchise and I see this.
3rd-party DRM: One or more products in this package may use the 3rd party DRM SecuROM™, Games for Windows Live.
Cool, they made it real easy for me to decide.

hitmon

Thanks for the heads up about the missing Civ V expansion from the flash bundle. I'll think I'll use that excuse to not get the bundle.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is Poker Night at the Inventory worth it for 40% off at $3? Haven't really played Poker much before, but love Sam and Max & Strongbad.

It's stupid, but fun. If it's not in a flash or daily sale, though, don't buy it until the end of the whole sale, since it might go even cheaper.

3XOy0.png

nice CD keys :p

For anyone who's bought Batman AC DLC, does Steam download the content itself or just give you a code to input into GFWL? I already have the game from Gamefly so I'm wondering if I can still get the DLC through Steam.

Retne

It's an OK game but there is a limited amount of dialog and they will repeat themselves some before they hit some of the other stories in their repertoire. Whether it's worth $3 is really up to you but if you don't like poker you're paying $3 to hear a couple Strongbad stories and a couple S&M stories.

squid

It's stupid, but fun. If it's not in a flash or daily sale, though, don't buy it until the end of the whole sale, since it might go even cheaper.

Ok, cool. Will get it by the end of the sale!

Retne said:
It's an OK game but there is a limited amount of dialog and they will repeat themselves some before they hit some of the other stories in their repertoire. Whether it's worth $3 is really up to you but if you don't like poker you're paying $3 to hear a couple Strongbad stories and a couple S&M stories.

I did like poker the few times I played it, so the characters are enough to put it over the top I think.

frozzted

Can't use the skins until you beat the game. It's dumb.

To use the code, the following button combination must be pressed on the Main Menu screen after a save slot has been selected:

Left, Left, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down

If the code is entered correctly, an audio cue will sound, and the option to select a skin will appear upon continuing the game.

Was all set to buy Batman AC and be done with the sale. Even put all the Arkham City DLC in my cart as a final hurah. Then I realized it was only 3 or so more dollars to just get the whole bundle (so I'd get AA and Impostors).

Sh....sh..ould I?

K' Dash

I can't believe the amount of awesomeness of Saints Row The Third, Holy Fucking Shit, it literally drops you right in the middle of some of the most ridiculous and over the top shit I've ever seen/played and keeps like that for a good 45 min, and that's supposed to be the tutorial, wow.

Hmm I voted for Alan Wake on the community deal, but I'm really on the fence about buying it, I played it like 6 times on 360, same for American Nightmare, is it really worth it just for the graphics update?

Retne

Was all set to buy Batman AC and be done with the sale. Even put all the Arkham City DLC in my cart as a final hurah. Then I realized it was only 3 or so dollars more to just get the whole bundle (so I'd get AA and Impostors). Sh....sh..ould I?

Might as well right? That's a lot of games for $3.
I know I'm enabling and I don't care.

Artofwar420

I can't believe the amount of awesomeness of Saints Row The Third, Holy Fucking Shit, it literally drops you right in the middle of some of the most ridiculous and over the top shit I've ever seen/played and keeps like that for a good 45 min, and that's supposed to be the tutorial, wow.

The ending dude. You. Will. Flip. Your. Pancakes. One of my favorite games, period, of this generation. Try not to spoil anything for yourself, it's an amazing ride.

eyeless

dark messiah of might and magic
zeno clash
darksiders
trine
trine 2
from dust
assassin's creed revelations
lara croft guardian of light
orcs must die goty
renegade ops
left 4 dead 2