• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does someone mind telling me the consensus on GFWL? It seems like its universally hated. Not only that. But how will I know which Steam games are GFWL? I don't wanna buy one and end up having problems cause Windows Live.

GAF, what say you?

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/index.php

There's a link to a list of all the games that use DRM in addition to Steam. They also list games that require, or just use, additional logins to another service. (like Origin)

Here's games that use GFWL: http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/index.php?page=DRM_Lists/Account-based#04_account_based_gfwl.txt

The consensus is is that GFWL is complete trash.

What's Killing Floor like? Everything I'm seeing seems to be MP centric, is there a single player mode? Also how does it fare on lower-end PC's? Mine runs games say more than a year or two old roughly well enough.

Yes, but it's a multiplayer game, single player just means less things to shoot. Buy the game, don't even hesitate.

It will run fine.

Koroviev

So does someone mind telling me the consensus on GFWL? It seems like its universally hated. Not only that. But how will I know which Steam games are GFWL? I don't wanna buy one and end up having problems cause Windows Live.

GAF, what say you?

Steam lets you know in the sidebar.

Ceebs

What's Killing Floor like? Everything I'm seeing seems to be MP centric, is there a single player mode? Also how does it fare on lower-end PC's? Mine runs games say more than a year or two old roughly well enough.

It's a UE2 game I believe. It will run well on pretty much anything.

The game is pretty much a co-op horde mode style game. You get money for kills which you use to buy ammo and better weapons. It has some class stuff, but those are mainly perks which I am pretty sure you can customize.

The unique thing about it is that you can close doors and weld them shut to keep enemies from coming through them so it lets you sorta make your own choke points.

KF is a pretty old game too, runs on UE2. It's focused on multiplayer, but it's entirely co-op. You can still play the game solo too, and it scales the enemies to the player count. It's commonly likened to the L4D games because you're co-op gunning through waves and waves of common enemies with some tougher enemies mixed in and a boss round to cap off a level. Though unlike L4D it has classes to choose from to give you some weapon specialization, and there's a persistent leveling system to the classes as well.

It's real fun, and at $5 it's well worth it.

It's a UE2 game I believe. It will run well on pretty much anything.

The game is pretty much a co-op horde mode style game. You get money for kills which you use to buy ammo and better weapons. It has some class stuff, but those are mainly perks which I am pretty sure you can customize.

The unique thing about it is that you can close doors and weld them shut to keep enemies from coming through them so it lets you sorta make your own choke points.

Well I already pressed the button, so hopefully I'll like it. It's not too hard to please me when it comes to action-horror titles.

Well I already pressed the button, so hopefully I'll like it. It's not too hard to please me when it comes to action-horror titles.

Well then you've stumbled upon the absolute best one available. Someone on Gaf said something perfect about KF a long time ago, that if Steam was an OS, KF would be it's minesweeper or solitaire.

Essential game.

kiryani

Normally £13 wouldn't be a problem, but the walking dead just took a £13 hit out of my last £40 till tuesday. Steam sales >.>

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Normally £13 wouldn't be a problem, but the walking dead just took a £13 hit out of my last £40 till tuesday. Steam sales >.>

We're only a few days in, must hold out. Unless some great deal on a game I want comes in the form of a flash deal, I think I'm good with just QUBE for today. Double dip on that one from me as I had the non Steam version before.

Damage so far:

Serious Sam 3 BFE
The Witcher 2
Star Wars: KOTOR
Tropico 4
Frozen Synapse (gift)
Alice Madness Returns
Alan Wake Bundle (Summer 2012)
Trine 2 (gift)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Picked up pretty much everything I wanted from this sale now. Maybe something else will pop up but if nothing else does I'll be more then content.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hot damn, 300 pages of Steamy goodness!

I haven't tried MS Flight yet, but it's FTP. Does anyone know of any of the DLC packs that are especially awesome?

Unless you pay you are only getting a small portion of the Hawaii map. So either the Hawaii Pack or the Alaska Pack is pretty key because otherwise you are practically just playing a demo. I think Hawaii pack has a plane with a cockpit but alaska pack doesn't.

The Maule M-7 (on sale for $5) is the only other thing worth purchasing as far as i know, because everything else has no cockpit.

But if you get Alaska, plus Hawaii, plus the M-7 you've spent as much as the complete pack.

Welp. Fuck Ubisoft. Fuck Online DRM.
Bought M&M VI, can't even play the game cause I can't log into this Uplay BS.
And people try to defend DIII and its always online DRM. nopenopenope. Never again.

If you spam the log in button, eventually it will go through. Have done it twice now and was able to log in. Annoying as hell though - once again, legitimate users get punished.

HoosTrax

Re: Tropico 3 and 4 -

The differences are that while they use the same engine, Tropico 4 has a linear campaign, additional buildings (plus more in the Modern Times campaign), and customizable El Presidentes (you pick the traits you want). Visually, Tropico 4 is not an improvement. I've heard Tropico 4 being described as basically a big expansion pack for T3, which probably isn't far off from the truth.

Facism

The Anno 2070 prices just jumped £5 from £15 to £20 for standalone. It jumped £10 from £20 to £30 for the game and DLC bundle. was just about to buy it, glad i caught that price change.

It literally happened as i clicked through to buy it :/

Edit: wtf it just changed back. deluxe changed to £23

edit 2: refreshed the page, back to £20 for standard, £30 for deluxe. What the fuck.

GuessWho

tempted to try assassin creed 2 - for 14$. How's the pc version hold up?? Never played the first one but hearing so much praise for the series.
Urgh what to do?

Firebrand

Voted for Bastion as well. I thought the demo was rather boring so I don't intend to buy it, but the other two have already been on sale recently, so.

daxy

Is it worth playing Dirt 2 if I've already got Dirt 3? Is there a different selection of cars or tracks that would make it worthwhile?

Oh, and I voted for Dungeon Defenders because there's some DLC I wanted to get, but for some reason Steam decided that it wanted me to select Bastion. Weird!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The DLC that gives you the Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle costume is worth it. :-(

I have all of them, which one is that?

I don't have the newest one though. No discount on "The Other Side of the Coin" this time around. :(

Edit: I'll say all the DLC are an amazing companion piece for the main game. I recommend them all.

Peff

tempted to try assassin creed 2 - for 14$. How's the pc version hold up?? Never played the first one but hearing so much praise for the series.
Urgh what to do?

It's a very nice port and it has the DLC included for free (which kida breaks the pacing, but that's a different issue), but don't buy it now. There's bound to be a franchise sale at some point, and if there isn't, it'll still be 14$ the last day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom