• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Banned
I'm sure this was posted, but this creeped me out:

xAMEB.jpg

LobLob

Banned
For the love of all things gaming, BUY VESSEL GUYS!!!!!! You will not be disappointed, if you loved Braid or like games like Braid, this game is even better!!!

EDIT: WOW, come on guys, it isnt even in the top sellers categories, you are missing out on a great game :( .

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Stupid question, but do you have Live installed? Sounds like a familiar problem. Or maybe you need to download a Live hotfix? This sounds real familiar and odds are very high it's something to do with GFWL.

Oh, it's a GFWL game? Well, stupid of it to not tell me that when installing it. Eh, not gonna bother then, I think.

I'm loving Vessel so far. Great puzzles and amazing soundtrack.

Overall I think it's better than the over pretentious Limbo.

How the fuck is Limbo "pretentious." Do people know what this word means? I mean it's the very opposite in most ways. It's very low key and minimalist. There isn't a verbose story or any attempts to make some larger cultural or political point. It tells a very simple story and never tries to be in your face about anything.

chixdiggit

For the love of all things gaming, BUY VESSEL GUYS!!!!!! You will not be disappointed, if you loved Braid or like games like Braid, this game is even better!!!

EDIT: WOW, come on guys, it isnt even in the top sellers categories, you are missing out on a great game :( .

I was just going to ask about Vessel. Looks like I will add it to the cart.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure this has been said before but Qube and Vessel will be in the day 7 bundle so if you want just one other game in that bundle (Avadon, Dungeons of Dredmor, Zombie Driver) you'll be saving money by buying the bundle.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda on the fence about Trine 2. I really hated how the first game looked, so I never bothered with it. But uh... it's really purdy now.

jarosh

Well, I'm happy to see I got so many people to play/buy Tobe's Vertical Adventure! ;) Definitely a neat, underrated little game.

Is there any way to make a competition from that game? Highscoring?

I haven't paid much attention to my own score, but you do get scored for everything, yes. But it would probably be easiest to make a competition out of the coins and animals collected in each level. There's a set amount you can collect/rescue in each cave and at the end of every level you get a screen telling you how well you fared. Take a look at the achievements as well. There's some for making it out of specific caves in a certain amount of time and some for collecting all the treasure etc.

LobLob

Banned
Like the puzzles are harder and more inventive?

It is like braid in the sense that you do need to solve puzzles BUT less obtuse and stupid. Now the puzzles in Vessel can be quite frustrating to say the least but when you finally solve each puzzle, it is just such an amazing feeling considering that all you have to solve the puzzles with are Physics itself, water, lava, and a suction feature on your water cannon.

Edit: What i also like about the game is that the DEV him or herself is active on the Vessel forums on the steam website and i found a game crashing bug in the game, so i reported it on the forum and the DEV had it patched within a few days which i think is great!

elfinke

All right, this is kind of an odd request, but I have a question for people who:

1.) Loved Morrowind
2.) Thought Oblivion was awful
3.) Thought Fallout 3 was kind of mediocre
4.) Loved Fallout: New Vegas

How's Skyrim?

I see this was answered by many on the page it was asked, but I only just got up and have Monday morning blues! It describes me perfectly, as I sunk many hours into Morrowind and it's brilliant boxed expansions during college. I detested Oblivion from the get go, but even now struggle to pin point why (though I contend the reasons are the same for why I am so averse to Skyrim). The combat (this alone turns me off the game. It. Is. So. Bad.) the NPC's and their boring, meaningless chit chat, the inconsequential aspect to everything I do in the grand scheme. Just urgh. Skyrim is a dreadful game and I seriously think it suffers from the 'cheerleader effect' that Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother made popular (that the individual aspects of the game are truly terrible, but assessed as a whole it is greater than the sum of its parts).

/edit: can't believe I completely forgot the most egregious part of Skyrim - the fucking UI and trying to navigate that piece of unfathomable shit with a K+M. makes my stomach twist just thinking about it.

Many of those reasons are just that my tastes and thresholds for mediocrity have changed since Morrowind, I think. What was acceptable, or even good, a decade or more ago simply doesn't hold me any more. Instead it turns me off - I've a finite amount of time to spend on games, so I have no trouble culling shit ones from my play list in quick time.

I bought F3 for 360, returned it a week later. I have F:NV for PC, and it is one of the better games I've played recently, though I did have to force myself to play on with some of the decisions I made early on, where my instinct was instead to reload and see the consequences of every other decision as well. It was this kind of indeciveness wrought from the non-linearity of the game world which broke F3 for me, but the world of New Vegas and its wonderful antagonists kept me going.

---

On topic, Walking Dead on sale; you beauty!

Fireblend

Banned
Erm, just installed Skyrim after buying it yesterday and it's suddenly crashing without warning 30 seconds to ~5 minutes after I start playing it. Any of you guys know anything about this? It auto-selected ultra high quality settings and it runs like butter up to the crash.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I had a question about Walking Dead - are the save files cross compatible between the PC and Mac versions? If I switch platforms between episodes, can I still continue?

Popstar

How the fuck is Limbo "pretentious." Do people know what this word means? I mean it's the very opposite in most ways. It's very low key and minimalist. There isn't a verbose story or any attempts to make some larger cultural or political point. It tells a very simple story and never tries to be in your face about anything.
Any indie game that has an art style that doesn't look like Castle Crashers is "pretentious". Unless it has pixel art, in which case it's "hipster".

Erm, just installed Skyrim after buying it yesterday and it's suddenly crashing without warning 30 seconds to ~5 minutes after I start playing it. Any of you guys know anything about this? It auto-selected ultra high quality settings and it runs like butter up to the crash.

Whats the specs of your PC and number of RAM eating processes you're running?!

Buy Ys: Oath in Felghana. $5, fun action platformer.

I did when GAF recommended it yesterday. Thanks

Levyne

Banned

It only crashed for me if I alt tabbed out and back too many times. hmm

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I'm happy to see I got so many people to play/buy Tobe's Vertical Adventure! ;) Definitely a neat, underrated little game.

Yeah I've had my eye on it too and was planning on picking it up this sale. One question though: How difficult is it? I know you mentioned some wonky controls and hit detection but aside from that is it a tough game?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hoping for Terraria to win. I don't care if the post game development has stopped, it is still a great game.

Edit: Damn, Terraria came in last? Oh well.

RedSwirl

Wishlist for sales:

Arma 2
Doom 3
NBA 2K12
CoD 1 (only cod I havent played, why not)
Whatever the best STALKER game is

I wanted Max Payne 3 but I'll wait for it to go down more. Probably by winter sale.

You might wanna wait for BFG Edition. Later this year.

Also, how many people hoping to get ArmA 2 will actually play... y'know ArmA 2?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Bought Trine 1 + 2. Been interested in the franchise ever since the first one came out, and now I just couldn't resist getting them both for €4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom