• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALIS

What's the best controller for "Steam games" in general? I've seen a consensus on the Xbox Windows controller, but how compatible is it with most games? Say I bought Binding of Isaac, would I be able to play that with that controller? I really dislike keyboard and mouse setups.

Far more compatible than any other controller. It really is, with no exaggeration, the defacto PC gaming controller. If a developer programs controller support, 99% chance it's designed around 360 Windows controller driver and layout.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
how can you hide a code or something from lurkers i have a 75% code for serious sam 3 and i dont need it

Razek

Banned
Finally picked up the original portal. I'm still pissed I missed the free download deal all those years ago. I figured I could find 2 bucks in change between the couch cushions.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
want to thank Toma for SpaceChem :)

Enjoy :) Probably doing another giveaway on a game I love during this sale. I probably end up spending more money on gifting stuff to you guys than actually buying stuff for me, haha.

Arrgh, my best hope this time is to focus on "completing" things I already own save for the odd DLC or Expansion versus jumping on new games. I mean, I'm broke before this began, but.....

That said, I guess tonight/early tomorrow morning I need to review over the sale, check my Steam wishlist, re=populate said wishlist from what browsing the RPGs and such avail as it has been quite awhile since I've poked around, then see about an order tomorrow morning...depending.

Completely forgot to write Steam Support that I'll be out of the country for the next 3 weeks :/

Can I still buy stuff with Steam wallet funds?

Retne

What's the best controller for "Steam games" in general? I've seen a consensus on the Xbox Windows controller, but how compatible is it with most games? Say I bought Binding of Isaac, would I be able to play that with that controller? I really dislike keyboard and mouse setups.

Binding of Isaac is a bad choice since the devs specifically refused to add controller support. Probably because the game is coded in flash and they are already having a hard enough time stamping out the new bugs each patch creates. Still a great game though. I've put in god knows how many hours.

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of money this sale. Out the gates I've already dropped $18 on daily/flash sales.

Wok

So far, the only interesting deals from my wishlist are:
  1. Deus Ex : Human Revolution -75% (flash sales)
  2. Analogue: A Hate Story -50%
  3. Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers -15%
  4. Frozen Synapse: Red DLC -50%
  5. The Adventures of Shuggy -50%
  6. Scarygirl -40%
  7. The Blackwell Deception -50%
  8. Magicka : The Other Side of the Coin -40%
  9. Offspring Fling! -60%
  10. The Binding of Isaac : Wrath of the Lamb -50%
  11. Swords and Soldiers - Super Saucy Sausage Fest DLC -75%

I am sure I will get better discounts for some of these games as daily deals though.

LiK

Serious Sam 3 75% off code not working for me even tho it's "applied". Someone in Raptr forums said Valve might've changed the policy to not allow stacking with the Summer Sale discount. This blows cuz it worked for so many guys earlier.

You know, they don't really work for me, because even as just a moderate PC gamer I often have at least one or two of the games that I really want from each pack already. But some of those $50 publisher deals really are just insane values.

I'm actually looking at them now and trying to figure out how I would rank the $50 packs if I had gone back in time and not played any PC game in the last 10 years or so, and was coming to them all fresh. I think I like the Ubisoft, 2K, THQ, and Square Enix packs in particular since they provide for really quality titles across multiple genres.

We should get a final day Community Choice vote to put just one of those publisher packs on sale for half off at $25. It would be a bloodbath.

Dingotech

IT BEGINS!!!!

Day 1 purchases for me –

Legend of Grimrock $5.99
Portal 2 $4.99 (Only had on 360 previously)

Flash deals are going to be interesting, I say if one is 75% off and it's a game you want then get on it!

Now we sit back and see how many posters ask if they should wait for the daily deals or buy a game right away.........

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I think they might. Mafia 2 is always $5 when it goes on sale, and it's $7.50 on the flash deal. Guess we'll see tho.

True, though it would be bad form on Valves part. Thats basically ripping off the first customers.

Soooo If Rayman is on the Flash deals that mean it could be cheaper on the daily deals right? Or are the Flash deals now the daily deals?

No matter what the price, Rayman is a quality game with tons of content presented in a unique way.

If someone said to you yesterday, "Hey, tomorrow Rayman will be $15 on a daily deal" would you have been excited and wanted to buy it?

If Yes, Buy. If No, Don't Buy. Once the price changes, repeat process. Then, even if it is cheaper, you'll be a mature, educated consumer and recognize that you agreed to purchase said product at that price and feel good about it. Especially after you dump 20 or 30 hours into the game. Right? RIGHT?

Razek

Banned
As somebody who tried to go back after playing Skyrim I feel that its not really worth it.

I've been wondering if it's going to get any cheaper if Skyrim goes on sale since others said it's doubtful to be a daily. Does anyone have any insight on this? Could it get included on a franchise deal maybe?

Hey GAF, having played Skyrim, is it worth it to go back and play Oblivion? (thinking of getting the GOTY edition)

Personally, in the end I realized I enjoyed it better than Skyrim. If you are really craving more elder scrolls, it takes a hit with the graphics but gives a bit more freedom. Modding it up to speed can be a pain though. If your tight on cash just wait.

Kntj

Bought Ubisoft Collection and it gave me F1 2010 instead of Ruse. Also Rayman Origins gives me invalid content configuration error and won't download :/

demolitio

So I have ALL Total War games besides Napoleon, but I don't have any of the DLC for Empire either. So I can't decide if I want to get the Empire DLC plus Napoleon and its DLC separate or the Total War pack which seems easier and might be cheaper by a few bucks. I'm assuming I can gift the other games that I already have quite easily? Maybe I'll be generous to people interested in the series if it's worth it or if one of my friends wants to trade me for a spot in one of his four packs or anyone for that matter.

I'm too drugged up to figure the math out but I think I save a few bucks by getting the pack. This new painkiller dosage has me so out of it that I won't even remember this purchase, lol.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Oh good, gaf is back up

How they clarified how the flash deals will work? 4 per day till they expire, then 4 more the next day? I can't see them putting up deals in the middle of the night, but you never know

I guess we'll find out in a little over an hour when the first one runs out

Salsa

Binding of Isaac is a bad choice since the devs specifically refused to add controller support.

specifically refused to add controller support? what?

Florian only codes in Flash so the game was programmed that way, flash as a platform doesnt support controllers, it has nothing to do with them REFUSING to add controller support..

there's a joy2key config I made in the OT that works wonderfully.

I want to start the ball rolling on some fun giveaway stuff, but should I start that kind of thing in this thread or make a new one? Stuff like "first person to draw a picture of X wins Y".

Wok

True, though it would be bad form on Valves part. Thats basically ripping off the first customers.

This is my feeling about flash sales: why introduce a urge of buying? Because it is not the best discount the customer could hope.

Eusis

Crazy, it looks like it WAS better to buy Analogue earlier despite the fact the sale was 40%. The soundtrack's not included, stand alone or bundle, so unless that's a daily deal it was better to have gotten the game then.

Sysgen

Oh good, gaf is back up

How they clarified how the flash deals will work? 4 per day till they expire, then 4 more the next day? I can't see them putting up deals in the middle of the night, but you never know

I guess we'll find out in a little over an hour when the first one runs out

It's always the middle of the night.

PaulLFC

Has anyone else had a voucher be invalidated after a transaction error?

I tried to buy Serious Sam 3 with the Raptr 75% voucher, I had it in my basket and clicked next to go to the Review & Purchase screen (so I hadn't even clicked the payment button yet), and I got a transaction error.

Now every time I add the game to my basket, the unused voucher shows up, but the discount is listed as "n/a" instead of 75%, and the price is the full sale price of £10.19.

I've tried restarting Steam, but no luck unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom