• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

LobLob

Banned
Welp, with Bastion today i am up to 10 games bought for a total of 46.36 and it is all stuff i know i will play and not just backlog. I think if i can help it i am only in for 2 more games and one of those is Dead Rising 2, here is to hoping it goes 75 percent off at some point.

Did assassin's creed: revelations come out as a flash deal/daily deal? I'm thinking of selling my console copy and picking up on PC.

If so, damn I hope it comes back.

Edit: Fuck it was. Does anyone happen to have an extra copy? Man....

If you could absolutely only choose one between f3 goth and nv ultimate, which would it be?

I played the absolute shit out of FO3 and all its DLC, but most people would say NV. I just haven't played enough of it and was probably too burnt out on the format from playing the living shit out of FO3 to say with confidence that NV is better.

Lancehead

what's so great about NV? heard characterization and writing are good...but why are you guys recommending it? Serious question just so I know what I'm buying :D

The levelling system is much better than in Fallout 3. You can get a lot more variety of builds, and the non-combat skill application is extensive. The perks are well-designed to prevent skill-boosting. Reducing the number of perks and skill points received allows for plenty of distinct builds. The world is much more cohesive as opposed to isolated settlements of Fallout 3.

Dynoro

Anyone still having problems with the voting? (I don't want to lose out on a badge just because Steam are having server issues)

KarmaCow

I played FONV way the fuck back and I dont remember what mods or saves I had or anything, I don't really want to spend the time trying to figure out what was what, can I just use the same savefiles and reinstall from scratch? Or will that result in me starting the game up only to crash?

Well it is Gamebryo so it might crash regardless but I think it should be fine unless you saved in area that was in a mod of course. It should just give you a message that the game is missing mods, but still load in IIRC.

Aaron

FO:NV is easily the better of the two, for those of you trying to decide.
Nah, Fallout 3 is better. At least it has a central storyline, even if it's not that great. There's also more interesting exploration to be had. There's nothing worth finding that you're not directed to in New Vegas.

Anyone still having problems with the voting? (I don't want to lose out on a badge just because Steam are having server issues)

When you click it and it takes you back to the voting screen, in my experience it actually did record your vote, it just takes some time to update.

Tess3ract

Banned
Well it is Gamebryo so it might crash regardless but I think it should be fine unless you saved in area that was in a mod of course. It should just give you a message that the game is missing mods, but still load in IIRC.
I saved back in the square in new vegas.

I basically beat the game up until the part where it's like OKAY NOW CHOOSE YOUR ENDING, and none of the DLC was out and I said "lol fuck you" and never played again.

Everyone's voting for Jagged Alliance right?

They should, but I have a feeling RFG is going to win. Unless the words "Star Wars" skew enough people who don't care that TFU2 was already on sale and also supposed to be bad.

Since it was a community deal it has a good chance of coming back as a flash/daily right?

It has a chance. "Good chance"? Yeah, probably a good chance since it's AC, but I'm getting tired of seeing everyone saying things are likely or probable to come back for no real reason other than them hoping they will.

Donos

Posting for new page since I didn't get a response:

What's the verdict on the X games?

I like EVE Online and these seem similar.

Worth it to get the whole pack? Or just Terran Conflict? And if Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude as well? Those two would be cheaper than the entire pack. Not sure if the others are worth it, even if they're cheap.

Since the mechanics are overall the same, i would only pick the newest/best X game. You are already going to spent dozen/hundreds of hours with one of them. A pack would be overkill in my opinion.

Retne

Posting for new page since I didn't get a response:

What's the verdict on the X games?

I like EVE Online and these seem similar.

Worth it to get the whole pack? Or just Terran Conflict? And if Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude as well? Those two would be cheaper than the entire pack. Not sure if the others are worth it, even if they're cheap.

You can skip the older ones as it's all just iterations on pretty much the exact same game. So unless you want to stroll down history lane just grab X3:TC. I don't know about Albion Prelude as I never bought it.

You shuld know the game is really hard to get into. The learning curve looks like the face of a cliff. You're gonna have to read some walkthroughs and/or some tutorials to get to know what's going on because the game just drops your happy ass in the middle of space without any real clue as to what you're supposed to be doing. I know there's a decent starter guide on the SA forums and I'm sure you can find some stuff on youtube if you go poking around. It really just depends on if you want to do that.

The game is fun once you do though. It's about as close to a single player EVE as you're gonna find.

Dynoro

When you click it and it takes you back to the voting screen, in my experience it actually did record your vote, it just takes some time to update.

Thanks; it appears to be a bit random for me - voting through the client seems to record the vote if you change your mind to other game, whereas voting on the phone never seems to take.

ElyrionX

Goddamn. I already own Fallout NV vanilla on the 360 which I bought for full price and never really played. Should I double dip and buy the Ultimate Edition now? What if I don't care about mods?

Shout outs to I H8 Memes for being generally awesome and helping with Dead Space 2. When wilflare says you are the man to help, you know you are in good hands.

Enco

If you could absolutely only choose one between f3 goth and nv ultimate, which would it be?
I would definitely say NV.

Played it much more. It's a lot more polished, has a cooler world and more options. Plus I hated DC in F3.

Still on the fence on F3.

Tess3ract

Banned
Voted for SWU II because it's a better Star Wars game than KOTOR.
iqbrhLOo57zJH.gif

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Nah, Fallout 3 is better. At least it has a central storyline, even if it's not that great. There's also more interesting exploration to be had. There's nothing worth finding that you're not directed to in New Vegas.
Couldn't disagree more. There wasn't anything in FO3 that engaged me.

Fredescu

New Vegas and it isn't even close. Better writing, better characters, better combat, more non-combat options. Fallout 3 does have more cinematic stuff if that's what you're into.

KarmaCow

I saved back in the square in new vegas.

I basically beat the game up until the part where it's like OKAY NOW CHOOSE YOUR ENDING, and none of the DLC was out and I said "lol fuck you" and never played again.

Well I'm not sure about a clean install but I just tried this by unchecking all the mods in the data files menu and it seemed to load in fine. Got the message that some things might be missing, but nothing seemed broken in the 10 seconds I spent looking around.

jono51

Banned
Wake up and gabe got me straight away. FO:NV Ultimate and PoP Sands of Time.

And my community game count just crossed into 3 figures. Do i get an upgraded member card? :p

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is EA skipping the Steam sale, or is there hope Crysis 2 will go on sale?

If they don't participate, well - I'm not sure how GAF feels about the C word, but that's what I feel like using. =|

BillyBats

Banned

I would choose Fallout 3. I absolutely loved the destroyed Washington D.C. setting and I thought it had a better story and was entirely less buggy than LV. Although, they may have fixed many of those bugs in LV, it's also an awesome game (I've lived in Vegas for over 30 years so it was fun seeing what they did to this place). Get both if you can and you will be gaming for about 200 hours.

Is EA skipping the Steam sale, or is there hope Crysis 2 will go on sale?

If they don't participate, well - I'm not sure how GAF feels about the C word, but that's what I feel like using. =|

Alice: Madness Returns was up earlier. And I think I saw at least one other EAP game, but I don't remember what it was. Besides, Crysis 2 is ALREADY on sale. So I'm not sure if you just mean a Flash / Daily Deal, but either way it's already 50% off

Artofwar420

I kind of fell in love with the world of Fallout 3. Maybe because it was my first. But really, if you can, get New Vegas as well. Can't go wrong.

ZfCiM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom