• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread: we still like you Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy damn @ how good Pixeljunk Eden is on PC. I played it a lot on PS3 even though I always found controls a bit frustrating, but with a mouse it's even more awesome, it's like it was born to be played like this. Also they didn't just port the game but tweaked some stuff (plants already bloomed stay bloomed until you find all the seeds in the garden, so you don't have to play all over again the same stages like on PS3; you're instantly take to every new garden you unlock, another nice feature; not sure there are more, the game gradually unlock features and I'm not sure the PS3 version did).

I really suggest EVERYONE to grab it asap but I also wanted to address PS3 owners and fan of the original directly: if you're unsure whether to double dip, by all means do. The conversion is really worth the (ridiculous) price.

This, buy that game.

MNC

I want to buy New Vegas GOTY, but I promised myself I will by Sins: Rebellion by the end of the sale. So that effectively cuts my budget by 30 bucks. Which in turn means I only have 10 bucks left after New Vegas. And I'll probably won't play it for a long time... So... No deal.

Carlisle

My wallet is hating me... Spent nearly $90 and told myself I wouldn't spend more than $20. I blame you gaf!
If you want to feel even worse, include anything you spent on the Amazon, PSN, or XBLA sales too. I thought I was doing ok until then.

Now I'm so ashamed.

PaulLFC

People who've played it, is there potential for Sword of the Stars II to become a good game with more updates, or is it just broken?

Best of the bunch is Old World Blues. A lot of people also like Honest Hearts. Or you could just buy the ultimate like Bacon and get the extra weapons/armor tossed in for free.

Old World Blues was my least favorite, although I haven't played Lonesome Road. Honest Hearts was my favorite. But every DLC should be worth it. OWB had great dialogue and humor but by the end I was quite sick of the characters, too much of a good thing. The area had really cool looking places but the fetch quest nature of it was just far too apparent and felt very repetitive.

As for F3 versus NV, there are the typical improvements one expects in a sequel and the writing is usually a good deal better in NV (3 has some great quests that I would put up there, and Point Lookout might be my fav DLC of either game), but the Capital Wasteland was a far better place to explore than the Mojave Wasteland. The Vegas strip was a disappointment, but I'm going to partially blame the Gamebryo engine for that.

Last minute decision (I'm off to work) on Walking Dead. So much positive buzz pushed me over. Big fan of the show, excited to try later tonight.

Card Boy

Banned
No, no, no, no, NO!

Absolutely do not give any money to those lying thieving bastards. Still not fixed, almost a year on.

Paradox like EA is a company that doesn't deserve anyone's money. The stuff Paradox does is unlawfully in some countries. (selling a product not fit for sale/selling a defective product). At least EAs games work for the most part.

Tess3ract

Banned
People who've played it, is there potential for Sword of the Stars II to become a good game with more updates, or is it just broken?
It's fundamentally broken. It needs to be a different game.

I heard at the start you simply couldn't play it because of how broken and buggy it was. It still is, but not nearly the product advertised.

Tess3ract

Banned
hey GAF, I have new vegas on steam and want to buy some DLC. which one should I get?
Which are the best DLCs?
All DLCs have received generally favorable reviews, and each DLC has its strengths and weaknesses.

If you are looking for something mysterious/spooky with fantastic voice acting and plot development, then Dead Money would be for you.
If you are seeking a new additional open-world environment, the best of the DLC for this is Honest Hearts.
If you want to play something that makes you laugh for hours with great voice acting and a crazy-but-still-believable plot, then Old World Blues.
Then if you need something that ties up loose ends for the main quest and enjoy a challenge, then play Lonesome Road.

Probably answered also, but I've already played and beaten Fallout 3 on 360.

If I were to pickup the GOTY on Steam, could I justjut go ahead and start the DLC? Or maybe there's somewhere I could get a sve file to pickup from?

Will Dead Space 2 make sense to me if I've never played the first one?

Also, is it worth getting the ultimate edition for Fallout:NV, or should I just get the base game?

EDIT: someone answered about DLC thanks!

ElDiablo90x

Neo Member
I'm interested in buying Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition but it says that it isn't optimised for Windows 7. Do I need to be worried about this? I also see Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition for a very nice price but I would like to see it go down even further. Should I wait on that?

Card Boy

Banned
I'm interested in buying Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition but it says that it isn't optimised for Windows 7. Do I need to be worried about this? I also see Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition for a very nice price but I would like to see it go down even further. Should I wait on that?

If you have Win 7 64 bit you will be fine, as it works with no problems here. I can't comment on 32bit.

Retne

I don't know if anyone else is having this issue but I just want to let everyone know Hard Reset has a bad habit of corrupting it's save files and then crashing on boot until you either delete the entire game and redownload or delete your saves. Sometimes just deleting your saves doesn't work.

I searched around and it doesn't look like there's a fix for this outside of just starting the game over again. So if you want to play it set aside 5 hours so you can actually beat it.

So for now I recommend you all stay away.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I don't know if anyone else is having this issue but I just want to let everyone know Hard Reset has a bad habit of corrupting it's save files and then crashing on boot until you either delete the entire game and redownload or delete your saves. Sometimes just deleting your saves doesn't work.

I searched around and it doesn't look like there's a fix for this outside of just starting the game over again. So if you want to play it set aside 5 hours so you can actually beat it.

Never had a single problem, and so do the people in the OT for the most part... Seems like something on your end :/

Card Boy

Banned
Even after tons of Bi-weekly updates over seven months: No.

This is effen sad. I always notice in the News section a update for Swords & Stars 2 like every week. It's just morally wrong a company can release a game in such a unfinished and broken state and still hasn't fixed it after such a period of time.

Never happened to me.

Retne

Never had a single problem, and so do the people in the OT for the most part... Seems like something on your end :/

Well shit. Guess I'll have to pester them via email until I get a steam forums account registered. They don't seem to have their own forum outside of the steam one.

It's a shame too because I enjoy the game otherwise I would just abandon it.

sazzy

Guys, need game suggestion.

Anything like Dawn of Discovery on Steam? It's not available on AU Steam. I think Anno 2070 is similar but that was 30 even with the discount here :':)'(

ds8k

Sounds like something on your end. Never experienced anything like that.

Will Dead Space 2 make sense to me if I've never played the first one?

There's a "Previously on Dead Space" option on the main menu that will walk you through the events of the last game. I still recommend playing it though. It's a better horror game than the second one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Regarding the Fallouts:

1. Do I want both 3 and NV, or should I just skip 3?
2. On the Fallout 3 page it says that the game is not optimized for Win 7. What does this mean? Will it not run? Will it run poorly?
3. Do I want NV Ultimate Edition? Is it really worth twice as much as the regular edition?

froliq

Guys, need game suggestion.

Anything like Dawn of Discovery on Steam? It's not available on AU Steam. I think Anno 2070 is similar but that was 30 even with the discount here :':)'(

Most close would obviously be Anno 2070 since it's the same series. Dawn of Discovery is called Anno 1404 in some regions.

Maybe have a look at The Settlers 7. Don't know anything else other than that.

Sarcasm

Regarding the Fallouts:

2. On the Fallout 3 page it says that the game is not optimized for Win 7. What does this mean? Will it not run? Will it run poorly?
3. Do I want NV Ultimate Edition? Is it really worth twice as much as the regular edition?

1. Both. F3 GOTY and NV Ultimate
2. Runs fine on W7 64 bit (so it would on 32 too)
3. Yes its the GOTY basically..you get all the DLC.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
1. Both. F3 GOTY and NV Ultimate
2. Runs fine on W7 64 bit (so it would on 32 too)
3. Yes its the GOTY basically..you get all the DLC.

Yeah, but is that DLC actually worth as much as the game itself? Sure, if you just add the DLC pricetags together you end up with a lot more, but is all of it actually worth having?

Sarcasm

Yeah, but is that DLC actually worth as much as the game itself? Sure, if you just add the DLC pricetags together you end up with a lot more, but is all of it actually worth having?

That is opinionated. I think so. I enjoyed them. It added a lot of content..well except for like the gun stash stuff. I think its worth it.

Regarding the Fallouts:

You should get both! Both are fantastic games, and the modding community is still alive for both. (though Fallout 3 isn't as alive as New Vegas of course.)

I've spent $160 on the sale so far...good god!

Alan Wake Franchise
Bastion
Crusader Kings II
Darksiders
Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas
L.A. Noire
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Legend of Grimrock
Monkey Island Pack
Orcs Must Die!
Saints Row: The Third
Sid Meier's Civilization IV with expansions
Sid Meier's Civilization V standalone
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Trine 2
Vessel
The Walking Dead
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

To be fair, my library was pretty sparse before this, since all I've really played the last four years is Blizzard & Elder Scrolls games. Now I just need friends to play all this new stuff with! :) Here is my ID if you'd like to add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jackaltoashes

Got Pixeljunk Eden, Syberia Bundle, X3: Terran Conflict.

Syberia and Pixeljunk could have waited until the last day of the sale, but they're already discounted so low that at most I'd save a dollar in the unlikely chance they went further on sale.

Hesitant to buy any individual thing over $5 though since I have such a large backlog already. Only a few things I'd bite on at a higher price point. Even then, I probably wouldn't go more than $15 for an individual item. Trying to keep this under $30 total I think, as money is tight.

I guess if you add in M&B: Warband and EUIII which I got for free thanks to codes from Tony, I have a pretty good haul so far on a small budget.

Victrix

*beard*
^^ Messiah - You've got good taste - a few stinkers on your list I don't think are worth it even at a discount, but that's like 90% pure fun

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The thread moves so fast that I have to ask - is it worth having all the expansions or just Fallout NV with 1 expansion? I keep reading about only having 1 expansions since the rest are not as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom