• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this showed up a few days late...

purple.jpg~original

Should I sell it now or wait for the next day that purple is supposed to win?
Purple team only accepts the best. Are you the best son? I think not, since you aren't purple already. You must be a damn sneaky blue spy.

zkylon

zkylewd
u aint even worth it bro.
hi... why?
hold still, taking off my pants first...
It's not my fault you can't appreciate Platinum's masterpiece. :p
BAD OPINION TRAIN COMING TO THE STATION CHOO CHOO ALL ABOARD

♥
No she DID'NT!
This statement is against the Rules of Nature™
100% agreed.

Because I was proper shit at it
lol mission accomplished

but u guys know i would never say something without it being my heartfelt opinion

so here's why

stealth sections, block-counter-centered gameplay (which i hate), boring ass looking levels like you're dumped in a fucking sewer by hour 2, zero fun weapons (literal polearm thingie was kind of clever and katana's obviously great but anything else is garbage) and tons of annoying enemy types

worst platinum game i've played

aaaand i'm done

iVnsnLuGsUkNx.gif

Baust

Decided to grab Battleblock Theater and am having a blast.

It's just like those Alien Hominid PDA games! I had no idea it would be like that.

I've always stayed away from these sales because my backlog is already huge...
Jumped in the thread this time around, in a moment of weakness...
Why am I doing this to myself?

I got to play some Stanley Parable that I bought this morning. A really fun game. For $7, I feel like in getting a dense 'game'. I am tempted to get Borderlands 2, but I beat the game on Xbox and I don't know if I want to retread old ground. I say that, but I nearly bought the PS Vita bundle, so maybe I'm just waiting on the right price. $5 is a bit mug for a game I've already beat, but under $3 and I'm sold!

I could say the same thing about Bayonetta. I found the combat in MGR:R to be deeper than Bayonetta, at least in terms of what the game requires you to learn in terms of mechanics and options to play at a higher difficulty levels.

Look at all the various strategies people employ when it comes to their subweapon choice. I wanted the use the pincer blades up until I got them... and then I thought they sucked and went back to the pole arm. As I started to platinum the game for the first time and was looking for strategies, I found all sorts of things I never knew were even possible with them.

It may not have as many combos as a DMC or as many weapons as NG or Bayonetta, but it has clear cut situations where these weapons are useful and where the game is designed to encourage you to switch rather than just push through.

Once I got Shuraba and Lt. Col. Kilgore in Bayonetta, I hardly had any reason to use anything else outside of a fwe specific Alfheims.
I agree that Bayonetta doesn't really require you to step outside the basics to get the job done. The higher level stuff is more style wanking than anything.

Had a lot of time with XCOM Bureau, and I have to say that if this game is on sell again. I highly recommend it. It's a pretty good game, and it's literally XCOM in a 3rd person shooter. If you go into the game, expecting XCOM Enemy Unknown levels of strategy. Your going to be horribly disappointed. It's not that strategic.

Most commands you'll be giving your soldiers is who to target, where to go, what ability to use, or to revive someone (the usual XCOM commands but in a more active environment). You'll be giving commands a lot, since they happen very fast. If you tell someone to target an enemy. They'll target them, and drop them fast. Making you have to give them another command immediately (or let them do whatever they want). Telling an ally where to go, is essential. If you just run into a battle, your partners will follow you around the battlefield like a bunch of idiots. They'll run right next to you, or run somewhere else not caring about enemies locations. This is also a good time to mention, that your partners are complete idiots. Give them commands, they'll need them. There's also the usual team management, and you can send agents to missions of their own (this happens at the 2hr mark of the game which I thought should have been sooner). The story I don't have much to say. It's set in the 1960's, and aliens are attacking. Usual XCOM story, but in a different time period. Which I actually like. I'm a sucker for the 50/60's time period games.

The enemies are difficult, depending on what gets thrown at you. At first you get a bunch of small fry enemy infantry. Later on you get tanks, brutes, ships, etc. Those will annihlate you in a second, compared to some small soldier. Btw, I'm playing on easy and having a tough time. I wouldn't want to see what it's like on normal or hard.

Overall, buy it. Especially if it's $4 again. I'm enjoying it.

Just a heads up to anyone looking to buy through Steam traders, Tenrius (gaf member) is able to buy games from the Russian store in return for paypal gifts. Just got Divinity Original Sin through him for about £20 cheaper than RRP, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Red Comet

I'm surprised that Street Fighter X Tekken hasn't gone on sale. From what I understand, it's not really an active game anymore so it would take a deep discount for me to buy it.

H6TXGCn.png

random trader dude that wasnt an asshole

im impressed

Dude just added me. I thought he was a gaffer so I accepted. Strange to see you had a chat with him. :S

I've always stayed away from these sales because my backlog is already huge...
Jumped in the thread this time around, in a moment of weakness...
Why am I doing this to myself?

It's because you love yourself enough to consider cheap games.

TsuXna

Had a lot of time with XCOM Bureau, and I have to say that if this game is on sell again. I highly recommend it. It's a pretty good game, and it's literally XCOM in a 3rd person shooter. If you go into the game, expecting XCOM Enemy Unknown levels of strategy. Your going to be horribly disappointed. It's not that strategic.

Most commands you'll be giving your soldiers is who to target, where to go, what ability to use, or to revive someone (the usual XCOM commands but in a more active environment). You'll be giving commands a lot, since they happen very fast. If you tell someone to target an enemy. They'll target them, and drop them fast. Making you have to give them another command immediately (or let them do whatever they want). Telling an ally where to go, is essential. If you just run into a battle, your partners will follow you around the battlefield like a bunch of idiots. They'll run right next to you, or run somewhere else not caring about enemies locations. This is also a good time to mention, that your partners are complete idiots. Give them commands, they'll need them. There's also the usual team management, and you can send agents to missions of their own (this happens at the 2hr mark of the game which I thought should have been sooner). The story I don't have much to say. It's set in the 1960's, and aliens are attacking. Usual XCOM story, but in a different time period. Which I actually like. I'm a sucker for the 50/60's time period games.

The enemies are difficult, depending on what gets thrown at you. At first you get a bunch of small fry enemy infantry. Later on you get tanks, brutes, ships, etc. Those will annihlate you in a second, compared to some small soldier. Btw, I'm playing on easy and having a tough time. I wouldn't want to see what it's like on normal or hard.

Overall, buy it. Especially if it's $4 again. I'm enjoying it.
I got it on Mac... And it crashes on the first campaign *facepalm*

MadGear

I'm at 95 steam games gaf. Will I hit that magic 100 during the sale?? If not, it'll be Winter Sale :(

The increase in number of my steam games (and backlog) severely stagnated due to humble failing to appeal to me with their recent bundles, so i probably won't hit my next milestone in forever :D

But don't weep, there are some days of "ordeal" left for you to reach your goal :D

I'm surprised that Street Fighter X Tekken hasn't gone on sale. From what I understand, it's not really an active game anymore so it would take a deep discount for me to buy it.

Probably because Capcom has no plans (at the moment) to patch in steamworks. Capcom's other GFWL titles arnt on sale either.

hiptanaka

Just out of curiosity (since Steam doesn't reveal official figures), about how many units would a game at the no. 1, 2, 3, etc. of the top sellers list sell during the Steam sales?

I agree that Bayonetta doesn't really require you to step outside the basics to get the job done. The higher level stuff is more style wanking than anything.

I think this is why i don't like Bayonetta as much as others. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy the hell out of it if it gets a PC port and I'd really like to check out the sequel, even with Bayo's horrible new haircut.

That said, it really is that the game doesn't really force me me to learn the core mechanics. I didn't look into or learn how to dodge offset until my 4th playthrough or so... and only then because it made an Alfheim I needed for the platinum easier. MGR:R on the other hand forced me to learn each of it's subweapons and when to use them. It forced me to learn how to parry and to get good at it. And I'm a sucker for counter/reversal moves as well. I love them in SF3, I love them in Tekken, and I love them just about anywhere. That ability to not just block and attack, but to reverse it and turn it into offense and change the momentum?

sogood.gif

SEGIII

Neo Member
Is Dust: An Elysian Tail any good? I'm looking for some good indie games to catch on sale ( Bit fatigued with the AAA stuff honestly. I think 5 is enough for the sale) and the animation instantly caught my attention. I checked the indie recommendation thread as well, but didn't see much word on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom