• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

denx

I'm about to go try it myself, but I figure I'll ask here: how do I give away games I've already activated? Like, say I want the codes to use in a Modbot giveaway. Not that I want to make a giveaway or anything...

Not sure I understand you. You can't give away games that you've already activated. Maybe you're asking something else, if so pls explain.

Any of the sleepy dogs DLC worth purchasing? I haven't touched the main game yet.
There are three story-based DLCs you should check out. Nightmare on North Point is a Halloween DLC, so think Undead Nightmare but with Chinese mythology. Zodiac Tournament is their take on Enter the Dragon. Year of the Snake is an epilogue to the game. All three are relatively short, and so I wouldn't normally recommend them, but they're more than worth their sale prices.

The other DLCs are a hodgepodge of costumes, cars, and races. You could pick and choose which interest you, or skip them all entirely. I own all of the content from the game, and I didn't really touch the costume stuff. Mostly bought the non-story DLC to support the developers considering I got the main game in a 91% off pricing error during its first sale. Out of the non-story DLC, I'd say Wheels of Fury and the Street Racer pack are most worth it. The former because of the awesome car, the latter because the driving/racing in the game is pretty fun.

Just avoid the Top Dog Silver, Top Dog Gold, High Roller, and Red Envelope packs, as they're essentially just cheats that break the game's economy and leveling systems by starting you out with tons of money and experience.

Oh, and make sure to "buy" and download the High Resolution Texture Pack when you get the game.

Ceebs

By the way, any of the story DLC for sleeping dogs any good? I have Nightmare in Northpoint and did not care for it.

Edit: Just saw it answered above.

If they rig it so "everybody gets to win" it looks neutral.
If they rig it so they "make more money" on token purchases, it just looks bad.

Either way I'd say definitely rigged. Every day a team is 100k + ahead of the other 4 teams which just happen to be neck and neck with each other. I'm not statistician but that looks really hokey. I called pink/blue today when it started and whichever of those doesn't win this day will win the next, IMHO. And no, this isn't reddit. Reddit is a relatively small fraction of the steam userbase participating in the sale.
I dunno, folks are quick to assume something nefarious when it doesn't really make sense and oh I guess the Reddit post rallying which teams win which days and the fact that those teams are winning those days is a coincidence.

The idea is that if Valve actually wanted to rig it themselves they could just make it a close race until the finish, at which point if it looks bad aren't you just assuming it's rigged either way?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If people 'knew' which would win, they'd be more likely to buy those team switch tokens wouldn't they?
Sure, but it wouldn't make nearly as much money as if it was a neck and neck race with lots of people trying to craft to pull ahead.

DaBoss

This is all just a social experiment and the goal was to determine whether people would work together so everyone wins or not.

SmithnCo

If people 'knew' which would win, they'd be more likely to buy those team switch tokens wouldn't they?

Maybe, though the prospect of a profit is slim now since everyone would have the same foresight/they don't matter if every team is gonna win twice anyway. So the price of them has tanked.

By the way, any of the story DLC for sleeping dogs any good? I have Nightmare in Northpoint and did not care for it.

Edit: Just saw it answered above.

I really like the Zodiac tournament, it was short but fun, and it's pretty much 100% fighting, and I just bought Year of the Snake, I hear it's good too.

Uzzy

Finally bought Tomb Raider and played the first couple of minutes. I have to say wow, this game looks beautiful and runs unexpectedly well on my 3 year old rig (radeon 6870). I did not buy the GOTY edition, because the DLC seems to mostly multiplayer stuff except for the Tomb of the Lost adventurer, which has gotten quite mixed reviews on steam. Is it worth getting for 0,61€?

Nope. It's stupidly short and offers no challenge. Frankly, the worst parts about Tomb Raider were the tombs, so there's no point having another one there.

rtcn63

Why, it's just a combination of the two most popular terrories and definitly possible.

What if it's a Gaffer pretending to be a redditor pretending to be a valve employee under the guidance of his lord and father Gaben pretending to be a redditor linking threads on GAF to ITS TOO SURREAL BRAH

The point is, Valve wouldn't rig it so blatantly, this early in the day. It makes no sense. They would keep it close, and then have one color make leaps towards the end. Valve clearly knows what they're doing when it comes to getting people to commit and spend money during these events.
Someone theorized earlier in the thread (or perhaps the last one) that maybe the contest is set up to multiply the points of each team in a certain way to create a certain result. It could be possible that their system for that has glitched up and multiplied the day's "winner" by far too much each day the past two days.

Or it could be possible that once a team pulls ahead all the others are just giving up. But the other four teams have been suspiciously close today and yesterday. Seems to read "our rigging system is out of whack and no one fixed it yet" to me.

Chariot

Valve would make less money if one team is far ahead.
Well for onve there are the change tokens.
And further: there are 10 ten days. If every day would be a intense battle onto the last minutepeople would easily see that its rigged. Its logical that one dominating team would be eventual so strong that the others are discouraged.
With a race that is seemingly controlled "by the people" everyone would push their stuff when "their day" is coming.

I don't say that it has to be. It's just a possibility.

No, that's what I was asking... v_v

I can only give away games/items in my inventory?

You've added them to your account?

Then they're yours and only yours.

What if it's a Gaffer pretending to be a redditor pretending to be a valve employee under the guidance of his lord and father Gaben pretending to be a redditor linking threads on GAF to ITS TOO SURREAL BRAH

It was me.

All along.

Tellaerin

It's some prisoner's dilemma shit. This is best for everyone but people want to roll the dice anyway.

Of course.

"I want my team to have the most chances at winning something because fuck you."

Sad that a lot of people think that way, but that's what it all boils down to. The possibility of one group dominating the rest is worth more than a certainty that everyone'll get a chance.

And clearly me saying this makes me some kind of hippie. :p

DeS3InY

I'd like to remind people that I'm taking requests for games from the Russian store. You'll need to send the money in advance by PayPal gift in roubles (this is important) and I'll buy the game for you. Do check if the game you want is region locked beforehand though, it's entirely your responsibility. Exact same prices as the Russian store, no extras — I'm just helping you get the games on the cheap.

Talk to me on Steam (preferable) or send a PM. You can check the Russian prices by adding ?cc=ru to any Steam linke (i.e. http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ru), go back to your store by similarly adding ?cc=xx to any link, xx being the code of your region (i.e. http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us).

Shout out to Tenrius for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Complete, you just made a cheap guy happy :D

Thanks!

neoism

does it tell you what error caused this?

no error.. Ive played the game for 85 hours so its not like I just got it.. I clicked it and it always had a white screen for about 10 seconds or something.... then it when in the game.... but now it takes like over 2 minutes and when I press the start button got go on the servers is freezes and I have to end task :/ I have never had one problem til now... I downloaded DMC and those C++ thingies :*( I uninstalled it all and click again and it just takes forever and the freezes after I press start :(

KarmaCow

So those enormous giveaways people do are for games they never even activated? How does that happen

A lot come from left overs from the many bundles (Humble Bundle, Indie Gala, Indie Royal, Groupees, etc) that exist. It's easy to buy a bundle for cheap for a single game and then just giveaway the rest later.

Chariot

Someone theorized earlier in the thread (or perhaps the last one) that maybe the contest is set up to multiply the points of each team in a certain way to create a certain result. It could be possible that their system for that has glitched up and multiplied the day's "winner" by far too much each day the past two days.

Or it could be possible that once a team pulls ahead all the others are just giving up. But the other four teams have been suspiciously close today and yesterday. Seems to read "our rigging system is out of whack and no one fixed it yet" to me.
That's why I have a clmalc document where I look for patterns *puts on tinfoil hat*

Well, that's ironic.
Its Tomb Raider, not Tomb Lover.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Do I have more shots at the free games if I generate 1000pts for my team over just 1pt? Or is it supposedly the same no matter what?

Ryne

I don't need anymore games to backlog :( -

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Thief -- MB-6EC68E7910D48318 - Taken by Godan. 79 entrants total.

t1403480114z1.png

Do I have more shots at the free games if I generate 1000pts for my team over just 1pt? Or is it supposedly the same no matter what?

Your chance of getting hit by an asteroid will be better than winning 3 free games in either scenario, so yes, basically the same no matter what.

tylerf

Tomorrow blue will win with the same formula as the last 2 days and then after that valve will let it go free for all with all the teams having 1 win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom