• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

Somebody told me yesterday that if I didn't admit that Game X (which I hated) was better than Game Y (which I liked), regardless of my personal opinion, that I was being dishonest and "trolling." It was said without any irony or sarcasm. He basically said my opinion was wrong because it didn't match the majority.

Not to nerdshame but can you link that post? I have a thing for reading misplaced arrogance like that.

I don't know whether the scores are rigged by valve, or massively influenced by reddit, but I do know that this sales metagame went from being the most exciting in recent memory to super stale and uninteresting...

completely agree. Even if people were taking it to another level with their devotion to the meta-game, the first two days were at least entertaining.

Now? Not so much.

OmegaDL50

Not to nerdshame but can you link that post? I have a thing for reading misplaced arrogance like that.

Stuff like this is generally an qualifier to be put on the GAF Shit Posts twitter. I mean shit, if someone can't get over their own hubris because you happen to like a game they don't, then that's GameFAQS level childish nonsense.

I've been a member of GameFAQs forums for 13 years. Let me just say in in the few months I've been on GAF have been far more enjoyable then most of the idiocy I had to wade through on GameFAQs.

Deitus

Put them on your ignore list, but before you do that, belittle them for being an idiot and send their posts to @NeoGAFShitPosts on Twitter.

There's no excuse for posts like that. But they're a minority, "GAF" as a whole does not do that.

It's true that kind of behavior is the minority, but it is at times a very vocal minority. Few go as far as to demand someone recants their opinion, but it's not uncommon to be told you have shit taste for liking something that has a vocal backlash against it.

But even short of direct attacks on individuals, there is a tendency for certain games for all discussion around them to be poisoned by statements of how much of a "garbage game" it is and how terrible and unfun the game is, to the point where legitimate fans don't bother discussing. This leaves the discussion one sided, and leaves observers with the impression that these extreme opinions are the majority. We've seen it in this thread with Borderlands 2, among other games.

rtcn63

There are a few people with arguable Kami complexes. If they haven't experienced it or it's not at all their opinion, then you're wrong and a liar regardless of your argument. Sometimes we have bad days and our words get a bit mad, but other times it's just folks being who they are- smug arse-cavities.

Tizoc

Damn, my girlfriend is using these STEAM sales to gift me the most random shit. I got the Truck Simulator Pack + Dino Horde + Farming Simulator offered to me so far.

I need to retaliate, any of you know some shitty/ridiculous games I could gift her?

You need to be the understanding caring alpha male and offer her games that she'll have such a blast with she will reward you with great sex.

I recommend Might and Magic Clash of Heroes, and if she likes classic style games Gunhound EX. There's also Sonic Racing Transformed, Psychonauts, Costume Quest. That's it off the top of my head.

...and why do I feel like I missed on a Costume Quest flash =_=

The_Monk

Thanks for the answers about KAMI, everyone.

I don't know whether the scores are rigged by valve, or massively influenced by reddit, but I do know that this sales metagame went from being the most exciting in recent memory to super stale and uninteresting...

I have to agree. The winner become obvious during the first hours, then there's no excitement. New day, new winner by a large margin, repeat, etc.

mrgone

pink, that's overkill.

FBcUkT4.gif

rising might actually have one of the better metal gear stories. For one thing, it's comprehensible. for another, you can skip all of it and not feel like you just eliminated 1/3-2/3 of the game's total length in the process. last, it's not at all hindered by all of the baggage of the metal gear canon, like mgsv is.

So basically you can play it as a metal gear fan or just a fan of action games and never feel like you've missed much.

Tizoc

Looking really good. It could be like a big time-sink but in a good way. ;)

Sorry, way out of my league my good man!

I didn't saw any spoilers so... the other option makes sense. :p

Tsk you should've done what I did and traded it for $20 worth of keys.

XShagrath

I have to agree. The winner become obvious during the first hours, then there's no excitement. New day, new winner by a large margin, repeat, etc.
The first two days were really intriguing. I'm not sure if it's reddit or valve controlling who wins, but it's pretty weak either way.

I also don't think we could see these types of numbers across the whole 10 days. That's a lot of badges being crafted!

Picked up the Deus Ex HR Director's Cut. I have the original game and never knew the Director's Cut changed the bosses (biggest gripe about the original). I thought it was only like a GOTY edition with extra missions and DLC etc.

Arthea

So this meta game would have been much more exciting if they did not allow for switching of teams.

I'm tired of sounding like broken record again, but it can't have any influence, or at least not as much as people imagine, because tokens are rare and few, what difference does it make if 50 people switch to other team that consists of thousands. Can it even influence anything at all?
Well, to be fair, I'm not 100% sure of this, but these are rare drops, they aren't easily obtained or bought in significant numbers.

so if the coop thing wins, is castle crashers and dungeon defenders worth it?

I really really enjoyed them.
Try playing Dungeon Defenders with friends though, some people online aren't fun to play with and are pretty anal with structures

So much this. Learning the best places for the structures on every map with friends is a blast, as well as finding the best synergies between classes. The loot and difficulty progression is pretty decent up to a certain point (more than enough to complete the maps on normal/hard difficulty, and certainly enough to get your money's worth out of it), but with the addition of some DLC and higher difficulties the equipment progression (sets, higher tiers) becomes a bit too grindy for my tastes.

Overall, I'd go for it. It's fun with friends and the RPG aspects make the tower defense a bit more involved.

Lain

More old stuff:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 16 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-7A591F7BB8BAFC20 - Taken by tioslash
Krater -- MB-097A64042EB2E2C0 - Taken by Xanathus
The Journey Down Chapter One -- MB-3F15799805417E5B - Taken by redfirm
Deponia -- MB-BC00BC2D06A8692E - Taken by Yrael
Overlord and Overlord Raising Hell #3 -- MB-A8C68C14BAFDF225 - Taken by liezryou
Overlord and Overlord Raising Hell #2 -- MB-DCCE0B18255AF27F - Taken by Skab
Sanctum 2 -- MB-FE6063294F250C3C - Taken by kiri
Arcane Worlds -- MB-07AE3B1AB070AC55 - Taken by Dambrosi
Overlord 2 #2 -- MB-0CC8D610F06A263A - Taken by Danielsan
Gnomoria -- MB-15BFB30A30DC1958 - Taken by Myshkin
War of the Human Tanks -- MB-841BB10AA9DB620C - Taken by Mozendo
Magicka Plus DLC -- MB-321F3C2AC4D48ABD - Taken by thebloo
Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams -- MB-A8C35D9C2A4DF683 - Taken by FlashFlooder
Overlord 2 -- MB-21F90DF95AC6092B - Taken by Jimmyfenix
Overlord and Overlord Raising Hell -- MB-E592E0732EF0AD8A - Taken by Deques
Safecracker The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure -- MB-6E8985C5D928360A - Taken by bobnowhere

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You can see why Valve implemented the team tokens to swap teams, but in practice it's ended up meaning everyone is choosing to switch to the same team and there's no competition. Not good for most of the Steam users as they reduce their already slim chance of getting their wishlist games by increasing the number of people on their team, but then Valve is still making money hand over fist anyway so is it really a failure for them?

rising might actually have one of the better metal gear stories. For one thing, it's comprehensible. for another, you can skip all of it and not feel like you just eliminated 1/3-2/3 of the game's total length in the process. last, it's not at all hindered by all of the baggage of the metal gear canon, like mgsv is.

So basically you can play it as a metal gear fan or just a fan of action games and never feel like you've missed much.

As someone who's only played MGS1 and MGR, I concur with this assessment. It's a very self-contained story, and though there seem to be occasional callbacks to stuff I know nothing about, you don't need any understanding of the canon to enjoy the story. At least, I didn't.

Jawmuncher

Have to say I disagree if you're a MG fan. Risings story was the weakest aspect of it. Its nice that it's not weighed down by baggage but the story is so simple with nothing going for it. Raiden needs to kill some bad dudes sums it up. It's an action game first and it shows. It really wasn't made for MG fans aside from the codec calls. Since MGS3 and MGS1 show you can have a great story with nothing hindering it. Since you don't need to play and MG game to enjoy those.

Games still worth the play for everyone but I'm just putting that out there since my enjoyment was hampered since I expected more.

Arthea

You can see why Valve implemented the team tokens to swap teams, but in practice it's ended up meaning everyone is choosing to switch to the same team and there's no competition. Not good for most of the Steam users as they reduce their already slim chance of getting their wishlist games by increasing the number of people on their team, but then Valve is still making money hand over fist anyway so is it really a failure for them?

That's not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom