• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

Battleblock Theater pls.
954bd9786e.jpg

Jeremy

Pink lives. Praise our lord.
cZ5NgmP.gif

I'm so glad I bought a set of cards before I took my m&m market lock.

what in the world is this from

i feel like I'm completely out of touch with the night crowd by not knowing anything about VNs or this gif for some reason

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
What are some of the best VNs on steam? I haven't really been paying attention to them so I don't really know which ones to look out for.

Of the VN and VN hybrids that I've played that are currently available on Steam, Long Live the Queen is the best of them. Dysfunctional Systems Ep.1 is a promising start but needs a little work that I'm confident will be accomplished with the next game. Heileen is sort of bad. Planet Stronghold is not good.

I've heard really great things about Cinders, though I haven't bought it yet. Go! Go! Nippon is supposed to be a decent introduction to the genre, still haven't played it yet. World End Economica is supposed to be good too. Cheery Tree High Comedy Club is supposed to be good too. The Analogue games have gotten a lot of praise.

Narcissu 1st and 2nd are free and supposed to be great. And filled with feels.

There's more coming out in the future too, like fault milestone 1.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish there were new deals instead of constant repeats.

evilhomer

Kinda disappointed Wealth of Nations didn't go on sale for EU4...think I'll just wait til I'm in the mood to play the game again to pick that up :/

Salsa

next flash:

Teslagrad - Stick it to the Man - Strider - Ikaruga

also Double Dragon Neon makes an appareance as a surprise 5th flash deal

Of the VN and VN hybrids that I've played that are currently available on Steam, Long Live the Queen is the best of them. Dysfunctional Systems Ep.1 is a promising start but needs a little work that I'm confident will be accomplished with the next game. Heileen is sort of bad. Planet Stronghold is not good.

I've heard really great things about Cinders, though I haven't bought it yet. Go! Go! Nippon is supposed to be a decent introduction to the genre, still haven't played it yet. World End Economica is supposed to be good too. Cheery Tree High Comedy Club is supposed to be good too. The Analogue games have gotten a lot of praise.

There's more coming out in the future too, like fault milestone 1.

Thanks, I'll check some of them out. Already bought LLTQ yesterday during the flash sale, so I'll start with that I guess.

Caerith

I've heard really great things about Cinders, though I haven't bought it yet. Go! Go! Nippon is supposed to be a decent introduction to the genre, still haven't played it yet. World End Economica is supposed to be good too.

I'm holding off judgement on Heileen until I play all three parts, but I won't disagree with you. Magical Diary is from the LLTQ devs and is pretty good.

KiraFA37

What are some of the best VNs on steam? I haven't really been paying attention to them so I don't really know which ones to look out for.

Take a gander at Analogue : a Hate Story, played for an hour and it was quite intriguing me,need to finish it some day. There's also the follow up Hate Plus. If your unsure there's a demo for the former.

Also a good free VN is Katawa Shoujo, although it contains some NSFW scenes, but those can be censored.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm holding off judgement on Heileen until I play all three parts, but I won't disagree with you. Magical Diary is from the LLTQ devs and is pretty good.

I forgot I had Magical Diary from a bundle, should probably get around to playing that at some point.

For Heileen, I've only played part one. Part two looks like it has more stuff to do based on looking at the achievements and trailer, which hopefully is a plus. I think there's a morality system with 2, so it has to be more in depth than the first game.

evilhomer

I'm just gonna hold out and think the next main Humble Bundle is going to be awesome and pick up the rest of the games I'm interested in than.

maneil99

All I was able to afford this sale was two pieces of Fallout NV DLC :p Just need some good mods now. Had enough for Stronghold HD but the day I sold my final card it suddenly rose in price :(

alekth

I haven't considered Ace Attorney a VN either... I guess it's the lack of branching and the emphasis on solving the puzzle.

edit: I think that's what I mean, but apparently it's not divided in the west:

wikipedia said:
In Japanese terminology, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL), which consist predominantly of narration and have very few interactive elements, and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV), which may incorporate problem-solving and other types of gameplay. This distinction is normally lost outside Japan, where both NVLs and ADVs are commonly referred to as "visual novels" by international fans.

Arthea

Good morning

I don't mind this particular community choice, even if I'm not buying any of those, at least these aren't repeats and some people probably want them.

But as I keep repeating, we never get niche games that lose community vote as dailies and flash, well, almost never, that's why community should have learnt by now how to vote. Why vote for something that was, is and will be daily and flash, when you can vote for games that won't be?!

I believe I voted for Animation & Modeling. I hope someone animates this debacle when they purchase one of these programs.

I also hope I didn't stay up to see some dull flash sales.

Take a gander at Analogue : a Hate Story, played for an hour and it was quite intriguing me,need to finish it some day. There's also the follow up Hate Plus. If your unsure there's a demo for the former.

Also a good free VN is Katawa Shoujo, although it contains some NSFW scenes, but those can be censored.

Already played Katawa Shoujo and really liked it. It's what made me check out other VNs. I've also played 999/VLR and the Ace Attorney games.

Arthea

Talking about VNs, so wanna try Cinders... and it's probably even worth that price, it just almost the same price as Transistor, which I'm skipping because I spent too much already.

Autofokus

I think I'll get the complete pack, it's only £2.25 more expensive than the base game and modern times would be £1,19 extra anyway. Kinda like the look of all the propaganda/cold war dlc stuff

Yeah, why not. I know the urge wanting to have a 'complete' version/game too good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom