• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This is my first Steam sale.../greenman gaming
everything is so tempting.

halp!

bought already:
batman aa
Devil May Cry 4
Fear...is their a widescreen patch?
Sleeping dogs
all the warhammer dawn of wars
sim city

Patch v1.08 added native widescreen support.

Volcynika

Oh yeah, if you got FEAR (the original) and wonder how the hell the install is so large, it installs the two expansions with it. Which means if you uninstall that, you uninstall it all!

Shoogoo

My full recommendation goes to Lone Survivor for those who don't have it. A great little gem that does great with psychological horror, not reliant on jump scares and has a great atmosphere. If you like Older Silent Hill you need this game. Also the game was almost single-handily made by Jasper Byrne, who tackled the graphics, music, programming, design, etc., and is a really great and friendly guy.

I wish it had controller support

Danj

Just bought The Walking Dead on steam for only 12,49€!

Let's see where all this praise is coming from.

I hear there's still problems with the save games carrying over to the next episode, anyone know if that got fixed? Should I just pick it up for the cheap price anyway and then wait for the patch?

STEAM what happened to you man? :(

Might as well ask what happened to all the local stores in your neighborhood that Walmart forced out of business. Steam is privately owned and cant compete with the capital that a large publicly traded company can use to put pressure on a smaller company.

Sure people pay a lot of lip service to hating what Walmart did to smaller businesses, but they still shopped at Walmart and helped put those small companies out of business.

Far Cry 3 is sooooo good you guys. So good.

I wanted to clear out any enemy camp, found a good vantage point and took out my sniper rifle. Just when I wanted to take my first shot a pair of tigers (including a white one) came down the road, noticed the guys and startet mauling them. I just stood there and watched as the tigers cleared the entire camp. Got extra EXP for not getting noticed. And that stuff isn't even scripted.

Name another game in which things like that happen. Goddamn.

kharma45

I hear there's still problems with the save games carrying over to the next episode, anyone know if that got fixed? Should I just pick it up for the cheap price anyway and then wait for the patch?

I thankfully never had a problem with the saves, and from the TWD thread I don't any one ever found out why it happens.

Torraz

Don't think the devs even acknowledged any problems or made any promises for any more support.

For what it's worth I bought it during the last sale, after ep 5 launched and had no problems. I played each episode in one go though. Ep 1-2 on day 1, 3-4 on day 2 and ep 5 on day 3.

Crap, I almost forgot to get F.E.A.R. I'd be on the fence about it, but I finally made up my mind and bought it. As for Walking Dead, I think I'll get it, even at only 50% it's a good deal, and I don't feel like waiting it out for a better day (it'll probably be £5 somewhere tomorrow). Also, really want to listen to the bombcast GOTY deliberations, and I imagine that will be incredibly spoilerific, plus I just want to play it and catch up on the neogaf spoiler thread.

Buy FEAR1, don't bother with the expansions and sequels.

Tell me you snagged Condemned: Criminal Origins for $5 yesterday. It's better than Fear, to me at least.

Nope, 'fraid not. I missed that deal. I did play it on my 360, but I think, if memory serves me correctly, my 360 died, and I ended up giving it back to my friend, whom I'd borrowed it off. I loved the atmosphere of the game.

Guys does it really worth Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier $14.49 or $17.49 for Deluxe editon or I should wait to be cheaper sometime in the future?

I'm sure if this was your first sale or two and there were no other competing DD outlets (or if they hadn't started issuing Steam keys more frequently) then you would be going crazy over the sales anyway.

Yeah but stuff doesn't happen out of context, so this point is moot.
Should he be excited because in some parallel universe he would be? huh?

1-D_FTW

Pid just got a nice patch that dealt with the difficulty spikes people were complaining about. Wonder if it'll get a 75 deal in the next day or so. Hope it was timed to coincide with it.

shaowebb

A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2 is apparently bundled together for $5.99 until Jan 5th. Anyone got any impressions on this? It seems to combine a lot of genres. Hopefully its in game music is like the store trailer from the second one.

adaen

I have a question...there's a game, Drakensang 2, that is currently available in the US store but not in Germany where I live (even though ironically it was developed here, and is a German game through and through). Publisher's trying to get it through Greenlight but I hear it's currently 75% off in the US store.

So does anybody know if somebody in the US could technically gift it to me? Or does that not work? Also can anyone check if the version available on Steam has German as a available language (I suspect not but couldn't hurt to check...I want the original VO)...

Yes it is giftable from the US, only has English voices though.

My damage so far.

Ys Origin: $4.99 (Only Steam purchase so far)
Bethesda New Year Collection x2: $54.64
Sleeping Dogs: $10.40
DMC4: Free
Dead Island GOTY: $5.99
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $2.25

Total: $78.27
Average per game: $2.90

Amzin

Might as well ask what happened to all the local stores in your neighborhood that Walmart forced out of business. Steam is privately owned and cant compete with the capital that a large publicly traded company can use to put pressure on a smaller company.

Sure people pay a lot of lip service to hating what Walmart did to smaller businesses, but they still shopped at Walmart and helped put those small companies out of business.

I don't see how that comparison holds, considering that Valve doesn't set the sale prices of non-Valve games. There's still tons of good deals on Steam, and there's tons of good deals on other sites now as well, so it's pretty much win/win/win/win, with maybe another /win.

Edit: So far, this sale, I've gifted 2 copies of Dishonered from Steam (wanted to send them before Christmas so 50% was plenty good), gotten Space Marine/FTL/NS2 gifted to me on Steam. Got plenty on my wishlist still to grab hopefully, too. May grab the Blacklight: Retribution packs just because any discount seems like a good deal on in-game purchases like that :p

Fly'N is so beautiful and relaxing and fun, at least in the early going. WELL worth a purchase. Art is of the highest quality and controller support is flawless. This looks to be one of the platformers of the year so far to me.

Kud Dukan

Far Cry 3 is sooooo good you guys. So good.

I wanted to clear out any enemy camp, found a good vantage point and took out my sniper rifle. Just when I wanted to take my first shot a pair of tigers (including a white one) came down the road, noticed the guys and startet mauling them. I just stood there and watched as the tigers cleared the entire camp. Got extra EXP for not getting noticed. And that stuff isn't even scripted.

Name another game in which things like that happen. Goddamn.

Just hoping for a daily deal. If it doesn't happen, then I'll grab it at the end. The wait is killing me...

legacyzero

Banned
20 minutes for the new dailies.

Come on Secret World! *rubs hands together*

I really would like to see a daily for FTL as well.

I don't see how that comparison holds, considering that Valve doesn't set the sale prices of non-Valve games. There's still tons of good deals on Steam, and there's tons of good deals on other sites now as well, so it's pretty much win/win/win/win, with maybe another /win.

Amazon can afford to take a smaller cut until they gain market share then raise their % back once they have captured enough of the Steam install base. It wouldnt surprise me if Amazon uses methods such as product placement for console games for leverage as well.

If someone is willing to send me DA:O Ultimate Edition. I would be willing to give Civ V:GOTY. The game is not available in my region. Kindly PM me if this deal interests you.

joezombie

Amazon can afford to take a smaller cut until they gain market share then raise their % back once they have captured enough of the Steam install base. It wouldnt surprise me if Amazon uses methods such as product placement for console games for leverage as well.

As a general retailer, amazon is probably fine with lower margins period

Tomodachi

So I started watching Indie Game The Movie via Steam and 30 minutes into it I was done. Didn't think independent developers could come off as such pricks.

So I started watching Indie Game The Movie via Steam and 30 minutes into it I was done. Didn't think independent developers could come off as such pricks.

Come on. Edmund and Tommy seem like cool guys, if a little weird and awkward. What bothered you? The parts with Fish can be a little hard to watch, but the rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom