• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am mulling over whether to buy Fly'n.

Does anyone with the game have screen tearing issues?

From the demo I have tried different resolutions, the frame rate stays at 60 and yet the game is tearing quite badly.

Munin

$20 is "ridiculous" for a 1 year old game that normally goes for $50? I think that's a pretty solid deal myself.

Between all the DD sales and bundles, people have become fucking entitled and spoilt. Now 2-3 bucks make the difference between somebody buying a great game or not buying it for another 6 months, sales are "the worst ever" because games barely released a couple weeks or months ago haven't yet gone down to a single digit price, all while what I'm sure is a large number of people already sit on Steam libraries of 200+ games of which they've maybe played 25% at most.

Concept17

Debating on Chivalry 4pack for some friends and I. Really not sure though. That video linked before, while hilarious, has me concerned the game may be pretty buggy. Thought I thought War of Roses was the buggy game.

SorchaR

So that's The Walking Dead and Dark Souls for me today, and I've already picked up Torchlight 2 and Fallout 3 GotY as well. So far not a bad haul this sale! I'm still planning on picking up Skyrim Dawnguard when that goes on sale. That should all keep me busy for a while :)

cicero

A lot of it is the fact that people have already acquired most of the games they want. So from their perspective its a 'bad' sale because they already own all the games.
For some reason people struggle to look past that objectively. I got a couple friends like that on steam who always message me about it. Annoys me to no end.

Prepare to keep being annoyed.

People who have used Steam for years = These sales are horrible compared to past sales.

People who have used Steam for 6 months to a year = Shut up guys, these deals are GREAT! You just own everything!

I'm in the camp of people who have used Steam for years and agree that this sale is horrible. Bad choices for dailies, mediocre prices, no meta-achievements, and only 6 dailies make this the most disappointing "big" Steam sale to date. Thankfully places like Amazon, GMG, and GG are picking up the slack.

Jasper's earlier post is correct. I have been involved with all of the major Steam sales, except for last summer, and they have been noticeably dropping down in terms of quality. We don't get the same huge price drops percentage wise, no meta-achievements, only 6 dailies with mediocre flash sales, inferior game choices for dailies and flash sales, numerous repeat sales or sales that are well above what Amazon/GMG are offering. But apparently those points are all illegitimate points because "we own all the games"? Ridiculous.

Not counting DLC, I have somewhere around 180+ games on my wishlist, hardly any are on sale near the old typical Steam Holiday prices. This sale is quite uninspiring and mediocre in comparison to previous sales. I have bought Ys The Oath in Felghana from Steam directly, will be getting the Dawn of War Franchise too today. That is it so far. The rest of my purchases have all been Amazon/GamersGate/GMG. Anyone with any kind of knowledge about ongoing deals really should realize that Steam is clearly being outpaced by Amazon/GamersGate/GMG etc, as they have been for the past year now. I wouldn't mind this situation that much at all because I am still getting great deals, just not on Steam, but now they pulled the fun and worthwhile meta-achievements too? Expect some negative feedback from annoyed Steam fans.

HoosTrax

Halp guys. I just started Dark Souls, and I'm wondering what's the best gift to choose is (and don't troll me by telling me the Pendant :p). I feel a i-have-no-idea-what-i'm-doing-dog.jpg coming on already.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
God damn it, I fucked up the age gate because I hit it without thinking. I can't really restart my steam client as it is doing that thing again where it freezes for 3 hours before it lets me log back on again - how long do I have to wait before I can start viewing M rated pages again? Jesus Valve, how hard is it to associate my age with my account and be done with it?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Debating on Chivalry 4pack for some friends and I. Really not sure though. That video linked before, while hilarious, has me concerned the game may be pretty buggy. Thought I thought War of Roses was the buggy game.

There have been a few patches since then, though I've never encountered the stuck animation thing before myself.

Very low number of player don't really work, especially if the teams are uneven (eg 2vs3), but I've been playing it at work for a few weeks (6 to 12 people) and it's a lot of fun. Online it can be epic, but you have to be kinda rage-quit-resistent, as there are tons of unskilled players swinging their swords without regard for teammates, or worse, people who teamkill deliberately. And there can be frustration from getting stabbed from the back while dueling someone else, and archers can be your worst nightmare :)

NIN90

Nowadays I'm only looking for the occasional quirky indie game during these sales. Speaking of which, I wanna see a Stealth Bastard sale!

Salsa

Dont use the master key, youll end up skipping parts or going places youre not ready to go yet

pick whatever, the gifts are pretty meaningless

Double

So guys, Chivalry - what the deal compared to Mount&Sword? The latter is considerably cheaper, after all. Why opt for Chiv?

ßthePenguin;45706092 said:
So guys, Chivalry - what the deal compared to Mount&Sword? The latter is considerably cheaper, after all. Why opt for Chiv?

Graphics and swings in Chivalry vs mashing buttons in Warband.

feel

Don't pick the Master Key, those doors are closed for a reason, and you'll miss the sense of accomplishment of unlocking them. Pick something else, doesn't matter what really.

edit-

dat Salsa

RSLAEV

I bought one goddamn game so far-Drakensang something something River of Time-and the shit crashes on startup. Nice. Thanks for nothing Gaben.

OK To be fair, this game now works after deleting the DLC and Verifying the game cache

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay, first of all, Bastion Bastion Bastion Bastion Bastion Bastion Bastion Bastion Bastion

aO6Wr.png

Second of all, thank you so much for the gifts everyone (especially you Cxxxx, Amnesia And Limbo ♥ ♥ ♥)!

I've been playing it for a couple of weeks and I definitely dont experience it as a buggy game.

Caerith

Dont use the master key, youll end up skipping parts or going places youre not ready to go yet

pick whatever, the gifts are pretty meaningless
Old Witch's Ring lets you talk to an NPC you wouldn't be able to communicate with otherwise. You can get all of the gifts at various points in the game anyway, but the witch ring is only available pretty much at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom