• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's a longshot, but just wondering if anyone else who bought Dead Rising 2: Off the Record recently is also experiencing crashing at launch? I think it's actually a GFWL problem, when I click "I agree" when trying to validate my CD-key, the screen goes black and I have to kill the program. Dang.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Binary Domain is in many ways like a B-Action film, but the kind that has lovable cheesy characters, surprisingly intelligent at times, it's dumb but in all the right ways and actually quite quirky.

Necrovex

The only reason I'm still cautious is precisely because of gaf's tendency to massively over hype niche japanese games that weren't received well and then I buy into the hype and play it only to be like "...really gaf?". Fell for it with Nier and I fell for it with dragon's dogma so I'm naturally hesitant.

If Japanese games aren't your usual cup of tea, then you should always be skeptical of Gaf's hype. I am a junkie for Japanese games, and Gaf has not steered me wrong yet.

The first act of Binary Domain is bad, but the game enters GOTY terrain after the first act. However, I am massively bias towards Nagoshi's games.

vidcons

Banned
How long is it? We talking 8-10+ hours on normal or is it one of those 5 hour shooters?

I'm going to guess 5. Haven't beat it yet but I just made out/fucked some girl in my squad who was very irritated by my macho pig attitude earlier in the game.

I'd say pass if you don't have a 360 controller. Something about shooting in the game feels very passive. There isn't enough feedback to make shooting intense and that leaves you uninvolved enough to not bother going for skill shots which is something they want you to do. Skill shots are pretty much just headshots. It's.. eh.

Mordeccai

So I'm interested in one of these mid-evil games but only want to buy one. Either Mount and Blade Warband or Chivalry. Which one would gaf recommend? They both intrigue me but I don't want to be splitting time between the two games because I'll likely wind up preferring one over the other.

KarmaCow

The only reason I'm still cautious is precisely because of gaf's tendency to massively over hype niche japanese games that weren't received well and then I buy into the hype and play it only to be like "...really gaf?". Fell for it with Nier and I fell for it with dragon's dogma so I'm naturally hesitant.

Binary Domain just has some good ideas but fails to capitalize on any of them. I can see why the 'game experience' people love it since the story and presentation is pure shlocky action movie but actually playing isn't anything special.

ATF487

Yeah from the demo Binary Domain seems similar to Vanquish...a weird, Japanese take on American style bro shooters, with robots instead of aliens. It seems like it'll be funny in that b-movie sort of way, but I don't expect depth here

I bought it, seems fun for 6.24

Nabs

So I'm interested in one of these mid-evil games but only want to buy one. Either Mount and Blade Warband or Chivalry. Which one would gaf recommend? They both intrigue me but I don't want to be splitting time between the two games because I'll likely wind up preferring one over the other.

Chivalry would be my pick.

Derrick01

Banned
ah fuck it I'll give it a shot I guess. It's not like I'm expecting to get a lot of things on this steam sale anyway. I don't know why I'm being so stingy with $6.

Chivalry for sure.

It really depends if you're interested in that Japanese style of narrative - it's cheesy, overly dramatic and completely unlike your typical third person shooter.

yeb

I'd be down for this. If you complete the group send me a PM and I'll send payment and my Steam id.
I'm interested in this as well. If you have the group set up, PM me and I'll send you my steam ID as well as PayPal payment. Just to make sure, it'll be $7.49, right? Just grabbing this deal because it's not available for my region.
Actually, it'll be free. Just need your steam IDs.

shaowebb

Pulled the trigger on Binary Domain + all its DLC for $7.22

I thought I was done but Steam popped that one out of nowhere for a flash deal at 75% off and I looooooove me some robots.

Mordeccai

Chivalry it is! Looked like crazy mindless fun.

Welp, time to decide if I should buy Dragon Age Origins UE, or the Mount & Blade collection.

I will just say that DA:O is in my top 3 favorite RPGs from this gen. Its an awesome game. I beat it four times.

Ok, maybe top 5.

Jomjom

Banned
It really depends if you're interested in that Japanese style of narrative - it's cheesy, overly dramatic and completely unlike your typical third person shooter.

I dunno man. I assume by typical you basically mean Gears. Gears is still the reigning king of cheesy, overly dramatic narrative in TPS. If you are referring to Uncharted then you have more of a point.

Salsa

Binary Domain is one of the best games this year. I think people are confusing the praise as sarcasm or something. People be cray.

KarmaCow

I don't know whether it's because i have the games i want, or whether this sale is a little disappointing.

It's both. Each successive Steam sale is worse because there is less to buy but other places have had better deals making Steam's relatively weak.

Kud Dukan

Ok, grabbed Binary Domain. Will start playing it next week to see what all the fuss has been about. So far I've escaped the sale relatively unscathed, only getting that, the Monkey Island pack, and the FEAR collection. The only thing I'm really looking for is a Far Cry 3 deal. I'm picking it up at the end of the sale regardless, but I'm really hoping it gets a discount at some point.

dani_dc

Ok, grabbed Binary Domain. Will start playing it next week to see what all the fuss has been about. So far I've escaped the sale relatively unscathed, only getting that, the Monkey Island pack, and the FEAR collection. The only thing I'm really looking for is a Far Cry 3 deal. I'm picking it up at the end of the sale regardless, but I'm really hoping it gets a discount at some point.

Don't let the hype get too much to you, it's just a really enjoyable and satisfying third person shooter. I feel all the fuss around the game might actually hurt people playing it for the first time due to having ridiculous expectations.

C-Drive

My dad is a crazy Bejeweled player. I got him a Steam account set up earlier in the year along with a copy of Bejeweled 3.

I need some games on sale to give him for an additional Christmas gift that are in the same vein. Any suggestions?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Lone Survivor knows how to use its limited pixel design to its advantage to let players fill in the blanks in their mind, but backed up with excellent sound design, an oppressive atmosphere, limited supplies, and realism mixed with surrealism. It takes a lot from Silent Hill school, but it knows how to use these to it's advantage.

Miker

How partial is the partial controller support for Bibary Domain?

It's so partial it's complete. Really though, "partial" controller support doesn't mean the game doesn't support controllers, it means that there might be a launcher for the game or something that you'd have to use a mouse for with big picture mode. A lot of games on Steam that have flawless controller support are only marked as "partial" for this reason or other small technicalities.

One thing about Binary Domain's gamepad support - in the config tool, turn up the FOV and if you're playing with a controller, make sure to turn the prompts to controller; it doesn't switch on the fly and defaults to the keyboard.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Far Cry 3 is mocking me. I have time off to play it, finally. It's new, so it's probably not going down in price. I have the cash.

And yet. The sales. If I buy it, who knows what insane deal I'll be passing up tomorrow?

It's a blessing and a curse.

My dad is a crazy Bejeweled player. I got him a Steam account set up earlier in the year along with a copy of Bejeweled 3.

I need some games on sale to give him for an additional Christmas gift that are in the same vein. Any suggestions?

Critter Crunch is similar as well as Astro Pop Deluxe. People who like Bejeweled also seem to like well made games within the same genre like Plants vs Zombies and Peggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom