• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowai

Welp, time to decide if I should buy Dragon Age Origins UE, or the Mount & Blade collection.

DA:O...here is my total time played. It totally took me back to my BG, Planescape and IWD RPG days. If you like classic Western style RPGs, it's fantastic... DA2 on the other hand is shit and should be avoided.

198f1f22064470e8237fd1c48f19bfd8ed1818bf.JPG

The only reason I'm still cautious is precisely because of gaf's tendency to massively over hype niche japanese games that weren't received well and then I buy into the hype and play it only to be like "...really gaf?". Fell for it with Nier and I fell for it with dragon's dogma so I'm naturally hesitant.

same for me. In general I hate Japanese games so I've avoided Nier and DD and will likely skip BD as well. They just never click with me.

My dad is a crazy Bejeweled player. I got him a Steam account set up earlier in the year along with a copy of Bejeweled 3.

I need some games on sale to give him for an additional Christmas gift that are in the same vein. Any suggestions?

He might enjoy Puzzle Quest- similar mechanic, with a light RPG twist.

szaromir

Banned
DA:O...here is my total time played. It totally took me back to my BG, Planescape and IWD RPG days. If you like classic Western style RPGs, it's fantastic... DA2 on the other hand is shit and should be avoided.

198f1f22064470e8237fd1c48f19bfd8ed1818bf.JPG

It's good but not that good. And it shouldn't be played unless you have a SSD, the loading are too frequent and too long otherwise.

Gibbo

Is Splinter Cell Conviction a known poorly optimized PC game? I have a HD 7870 and i;m struggling to maintain 40-50 fps

Derrick01

Banned
Is Dead Island more of a RPG than action game?

It's more action with co-op. It has very light RPG elements like most shooters/action games nowadays like a basic skill tree/xp system, an inventory and I think very basic crafting but the draw is melee'ing the hell out of zombies. It's not a very good game but you can do worse I guess.

Gibbp said:
Is Splinter Cell Conviction a known poorly optimized PC game?

Yeah it's pretty bad. My PC has parts that came out after that game did and it runs pretty poorly too.

Vlodril

So I'm interested in one of these mid-evil games but only want to buy one. Either Mount and Blade Warband or Chivalry. Which one would gaf recommend? They both intrigue me but I don't want to be splitting time between the two games because I'll likely wind up preferring one over the other.

Mount and Blade has alot more depth than chivalry. Chiv is a good game but i have put about 100 hours on the single player and about 150 on the multiplayer of mount and blade. So maybe i am biased. Still think it has a lot more meat than Chivalry.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
It's more action with co-op. It has very light RPG elements like most shooters/action games nowadays like a basic skill tree/xp system, an inventory and I think very basic crafting but the draw is melee'ing the hell out of zombies. It's not a very good game but you can do worse I guess.

Nope. Open world, kinda light Elder Scrolls, with Zombies. And Zombies only.

Thanks guys!

Buy Dead-Island if you can play coop, don't buy if you plan to play alone.

Guess I won't then. Thanks.

C-Drive

Critter Crunch is similar as well as Astro Pop Deluxe. People who like Bejeweled also seem to like well made games within the same genre like Plants vs Zombies and Peggle.

He might enjoy Puzzle Quest- similar mechanic, with a light RPG twist.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll probably grab Critter Crunch, one of the Cradle games (either one any better than the other?), and Puzzle Quest.

He's got both Plants vs Zombies and Peggle but he seems to only play Bejeweled.

DukeBobby

I'm hoping The Amazing Spider-Man goes on sale. It's probably not very good, but I'm in the mood for a new superhero game. If it drops to under £10, I'll get it.

Enco

As much as I would like to get BD, I just can't do it.

I have Far Cry 3, SR3 and Spec Ops to play. I'm also playing a lot of GMod. That's ignoring all the games from previous indie bundles.

Codeblue

I bought Binary Domain from GMG a while ago but am just now getting around to it. The game deserved a much better reception critically and commercially, I think.

I'm half way through and while I don't think the story is anything spectacular so far, I think most of the characters are really well written and the game is super charming. I agree with everyone who likened this to a Action B-movie. It's an action game in the purest sense of the word and doesn't really try to be anything more. It's very much a Japanese TPS that borrows some elements from its Western counterparts.

The voice control isn't accurate enough to bother trying to set up though, so I would set that to buttons from the start.

Overall, I'm a big fan of Binary Domain, and if you think you might like it, you should give it a shot. I bought it on impulse and wasn't really expecting to like it this much. Definitely one of my favorite games of the year and one of the best TPS games of the generation.

nowai

Buy Dead-Island if you can play coop, don't buy if you plan to play alone.

I thought it was enjoyable enough alone. Going through the hotel was actually a bit spooky sometimes. Especially when you are a low level and hear a thug or a screaming zombie.

As much as I would like to get BD, I just can't do it.

I have Far Cry 3, SR3 and Spec Ops to play. I'm also playing a lot of GMod. That's ignoring all the games from previous indie bundles.

I'm gonna urge you to go ahead and pick it up not only because BD was incredible fun but because those winter and summer game draughts creep up on you. These last few weeks I've run through my backlog pretty quick.

No, but the £10 price is tempting. Is it worth it?

The story levels are really well-designed and have good replayability. It's also probably the best treatment Superman has ever received in a video game. The open-world is a bit repetitive and for some reason the flying mechanics are worse there, but flying around as Supes while the movie theme blares is such a great feeling. Also, even though he doesn't show up in the main story and you have to get him later, Aquaman is ACTUALLY useful!

I bought it at 66% off and don't regret it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh no, my friend gifted me the Sophie's choice simulator (walking dead). Guess I'll find out what all the hubub is about.

kennah

One thing about Binary Domain's gamepad support - in the config tool, turn up the FOV and if you're playing with a controller, make sure to turn the prompts to controller; it doesn't switch on the fly and defaults to the keyboard.
thanks for the tips!

Alex

Conceptually I liked Dead Island a fair bit, it also worked out really well in a lot of it's execution but certain tracts of the game and being slammed with constant bugs just put me off of it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
What do you think are the chances of Miasmata having a deep discount (50%+)? Tha's the only deal that I'm waiting for.

It was up for a flash vote once and failed, there's still a chance it could pop up on a stable flash deal but I don't know what to expect from this sale anymore.

gabbo

Is Legendary Edition of Blood Bowl worth it, and has the SecuROM limit been patched out/raised any? I've been holding out on buying that game since the beta, ages ago, but was never sure if it was worth diving in to.

JulianImp

I got most of the Steam games I wanted during the Autumn Sale, and the rest I picked up from GOG.

What I don't get is why Steam doesn't let me buy some Games For Windows Live titles. For example, Super Street Figher IV - Arcade Edition isn't available in my region while vanilla SFIV is (?!) and, most importantly, Dark Souls isn't available either.

I recently purchased Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, which does use GFWL, and there were no issues (it's a great game, by te way). Why is Argentina randomly region-locked from some GFWL titles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom