• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

The only reason I'm still cautious is precisely because of gaf's tendency to massively over hype niche japanese games that weren't received well and then I buy into the hype and play it only to be like "...really gaf?". Fell for it with Nier and I fell for it with dragon's dogma so I'm naturally hesitant.

It's really just OK. If you don't have a ton on your backlog, it's definitely worth the $6 or whatever it is. The cover shooting controls better than Gears in some spots, and much worse in other spots. The story is pretty interesting at first, but it never really follows through on its potential. I liked the characters, unfortunately they decided to focus the back half of the game on the least interesting one of the bunch. Also, owning a wired gamepad or one of those wireless receivers is absolutely necessary to play the game. The KB/M controls in that game are an atrocity.

Unrelated: Are both Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat worth playing? I really only wanted CoP, but it costs more on it's own than when purchased together.

BigDes

Is Legendary Edition of Blood Bowl worth it, and has the SecuROM limit been patched out/raised any? I've been holding out on buying that game since the beta, ages ago, but was never sure if it was worth diving in to.

I think you want the Chaos edition

I don't know about the DRM but I am fairly sure the Chaos version has more stuff

Fantasmo

Conceptually I liked Dead Island a fair bit, it also worked out really well in a lot of it's execution but certain tracts of the game and being slammed with constant bugs just put me off of it.
Its really fun coop but far too long. If there were more enemy types and leveling actually made a difference, and they cut the time to 12 or 15 hours, it would have been awesome. Too much busywork for my tastes. I got my money's worth but stopped before I finished it. Also, the main characters god were they awful. So bland... and weird if that's even possible lol

atomico

Has Spec Ops: The Line been on any flash sale/dailies yet? (as in "discounted more than 50%)

Oh good. Anyway, it annoys me that the turtorial stuff shown only mentions the keyboard + mouse layout. No picture of the 360 control scheme :(

You can change that from the config screen outside the game
Dc4Ze.jpg

Any sales on Dark Souls at the moment? I've already played through it twice on PS3... but the talk about Dark Souls 2 is making me itchy to play it again, plus the extra content.

aechris

GAF, I need some advice.

I didn't like Mount and Blade (I know, I'm terrible). There's too much. I just want to get into a game and hack some fuckers up. Short bursts kind of thing instead of sprawling epic single-player story.

Will War of Roses or Chivalry do this for me? Or should I jump out of the genre now?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
This is my first steam sale and the stuff I'm getting is fantastic

This is awesome to hear. Happy Christmas Steam sale. Good times.

Scoring Dead Island and Deus Ex HR for bargain bin prices has been my highlight so far. If the Witcher 2 gets a 75% off deal, I'll be a very happy PC gamer.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
GAF, I need some advice.

I didn't like Mount and Blade (I know, I'm terrible). There's too much. I just want to get into a game and hack some fuckers up. Short bursts kind of thing instead of sprawling epic single-player story.

Will War of Roses or Chivalry do this for me? Or should I jump out of the genre now?

War of the Roses is pretty similar to Mount and Blade.
Chivalry looks and plays better.

They're both multiplayer only.

I'd recommend Chivalry.

Sullichin

GAF, I need some advice.

This pretty much describes Chivalry.

Nabs

GAF, I need some advice.

It sounds like you want Chivalry. Just type in Chivalry in youtube and check out a random vid.

cicero

Any recommendations on a 3d space game? I'd prefer space dogfighting and such but I really want to have something to pilot a ship in space.

Steam:
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident - $2.49
Patricians and Merchants (Includes Darkstar One) - $1.99

You might want to wait for a daily or flash sale to get these.
X3: Terran Conflict - $7.99
X3: Albion Prelude - $4.99
Sword of the Stars I - Complete Collection - $9.99

GoG:
Darkstar One - $4.99
Descent 1+2 - $4.99
Descent 3 - $4.99
Freespace + Expansion - $2.99
Freespace 2 - $4.99
Independence War Deluxe - $2.99
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos - $2.99
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident - $4.99
Wing Commander 1+2 - $2.99
Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger - $2.99
Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom - $2.99
Wing Commander: Privateer - $2.99

You might want to wait for the upcoming GOG "Santa in Space Promo" which should have all of these on sale for $15.41 (75% off) as a bundle instead of 50% individually.
Moonbase Commander - $2.99
Fragile Allegiance - $2.99
Star Control 1+2 - $2.99
Star Control 3 - $2.99
Master of Orion 1+2 - $2.99
Haegemonia Gold Edition - $4.99
Independence War Deluxe - $2.99
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos - $2.99
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident - $4.99

PaulLFC

Who here is 4-packing Chivalry? I'll jump in. PM me. I won't front but I'll back.
Count me in for a Chivalry 4 pack also. I'll be around for another hour or two before I'll have to get off to bed (work tomorrow!) but I can Paypal right now if anyone has a four pack going.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
lol if you say so. In fact, there are not many reputable gaming sites and fans who would agree with you or your assessment of Gears.

Wait a second here, FANS of a game/series won't agree with an assessment their game is terrible? Holy shit, this...this changes everything! Fuck, someone email Kotaku, they need to spread this important news to their reader base.

Gaming sites measure success and profitability by how many views/subscriptions they can attract. This is why all gaming sites will cover big triple A games no matter the quality. GoW is a triple A, mainstream action romp designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Basically the people that live and breath on 'authorities' massaging their confirmation bias and telling them about the next sick romp (not that their the only ones... see Zelda fans.). I'm truly shocked that they would not only have massive coverage of AAA titles, but also employ reviewers/journalists that love the product being sold (do I need to bring up that Dan Hsu review, a former chief editor of EGM and director of 1UP (is that reputable enough for you), again?) to the point that they overly praise mediocrity. And the thing is, that's fine.

But what's not is that instead of your own opinions and analysis as to why I'm wrong/ the game is Jesus in a convenient commercial form, you seem to think that a lot of consumers and easily appeased reviewers liking something is in itself a measure of quality or mental acuity. I know it's been a few decades, but look up the pet rock. That alone should tell you about how much mass consumer appeal means.

What is so great about the game again?

The terrible shooting mechanics that overly prioritize headshots combined with inaccurate weapon spread patterns; all of course, designed to work on controllers, devices known for their inherent issues with obtaining accurate fire. Maybe its the mechanics and level design that apotheosize waist high walls, because you can never have too many waist high walls.

Or maybe the abysmal running/camera and overall control decisions that make no sense, forcing players to constantly fight against the game.

A generic Hollywood blockbuster check list instead of an actual storyline or script.

Or perhaps it's the entire cast of ill defined and thought out characters? Especially 'cole train'. I thought I had seen the nadir of character hell with Raiden from MGS2. In retrospect, that was a pleasant experience compared to Cole train & crew. Who at epic looked at his script, let alone the game footage, and thought, 'yes, this is exactly what we want?'

aechris

Count me in for a Chivalry 4 pack also. I'll be around for another hour or two before I'll have to get off to bed (work tomorrow!) but I can Paypal right now if anyone has a four pack going.

I'm down too. Count me in for #3.

Thanks for the advice!

mannerbot

Do you guys think it's likely to get cheaper any time soon?

It's very very unlikely that it'll be cheaper on Steam, if that's what you're asking. But yes, if you have a $5 promotional credit from a previous Amazon DD order, you can get Dark Souls for $13 starting on January 1.

PaulLFC

$19.97 here, probably as good as it's going to get. Should I take the plunge?
If you have any interest in football/soccer whatsoever then yes. Incredible game, ridiculously addictive though. Just be warned it's likely once the game hooks you you'll start playing, look up hours later and wonder where the time went. So worth it though, fantastic game.

PaulLFC

Who here is 4-packing Chivalry? I'll jump in. PM me. I won't front but I'll back.

I'm down too. Count me in for #3.

Thanks for the advice!
So we have 3 of us now, just one more for a 4 pack. Is anyone in the US who can host? The game works out cheaper that way, the local price for me (UK) isn't that good.

Edit: Oops, double post, sorry. Didn't expect that in a Steam sale thread!

moojito

Gah, open thread, refresh it 10 minutes later, miss out on borderlands 2 code!

Anyway, picked up dragon age. I found it ok on the xbox, but hear it's much better on the pc. Can anyone list the main differences?

Stage On

I have the Killing Floor base game, but I haven't played much of it... anything I need to know concerning what DLC to get and whatnot?

Most of the dlc is just skins for your characters and since you're playing in first person you won't see them much anyhow

The only really useful one is the community weapon pack since it unlocks weapons you wouldn't be able to use otherwise like the flare gun, scythe and buzz saw bow.

cluto

So we have 3 of us now, just one more for a 4 pack. Is anyone in the US who can host? The game works out cheaper that way, the local price for me (UK) isn't that good.

Edit: Oops, double post, sorry. Didn't expect that in a Steam sale thread!

Can I be number 4?

zychi

Banned
So steam tells me I have the ultimate edition of Fallout New Vegas, but when I view the DLC on the steam store it doesnt show I have it. When I go in game, same thing.

Is there a special way to download the dlc? Even when I right click and pull up DLC on my games list, its not listed.

Most of the dlc is just skins for your characters and since you're playing in first person you won't see them much anyhow

The only really useful one is the community weapon pack since it unlocks weapons you wouldn't be able to use otherwise like the flare gun, scythe and buzz saw bow.

Thanks for the heads up, I just didn't want to buy anything unknowingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom