• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm tired as poop, went to my first NFL game today and saw my team play horribly, and Felix Lighter sends me a nice gift :D

412013_4714296989408_383785417_o.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
Ugh I'm hesitating too much over pressing the buy button on binary domain. I think that's my instincts telling me it's not a very good game and I should wait for it to be $5. I'll probably save the money for a sensible Spec Ops deal.
If you have some time, watch Giant Bomb's QL (http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-binary-domain/17-5793/) and if you find enjoyment on Big Bo's accidental humor and the last minutes of the video (the part with the giant robot), then it's for you.

But a hunch tells me you won't like it, based on my impression of you from your posts.

dreamfall

Should i get Dead Island ($5.99) or LA Noire ($7.49)? Don't care about the price difference.

Well, they couldn't be more different! What do you want to experience? Zombie co-op survival on an island can be brutally fun. Some of the melee combat is really satisfying, but I've got some qualms with the game being pretty buggy. Quests glitching, shoddy hit detection at times, and some strange character progression. But you can get lost in the environment for hours- trying to level, trying to survive and just enjoying some of the creepiness of it all. The co-op is truly fun.

GAF dislikes L.A. Noire a lot. You've got to love the slow burn. Some of the investigation cues seem a bit simple, but the interaction with objects in each case is different and felt novel. It's feels like a real shoddy effort by Team Bondi- you can see exactly where Rockstar added side missions (involving more action side missions, that do disrupt the pace). The game mechanics are an uneven mix too- there's arcade driving controls, simple cover/shooting dynamics and a really funny investigation procedure. The "doubt" selections don't make much sense- they're accusatory and inflammatory, but usually hilarious. The story doesn't add up in the end at all.

But god damn, if I didn't love it for all it's perculiar misgivings. The backdrop is so perfectly constructed, and some of the cases really feel like thrilling experiences. The face tech is super impressive (if a bit waxy) but its refreshing because the game just feels so different. It's an adventure game, housed in an amazing city. It's more restrictive than it seems- but after finishing the game, I spent so much time just free roaming and looking for film reels. But that's precisely what I love in videogames- walking about, and admiring the city design. The PC port takes much tweaking to enjoy- it's capped at 30FPS and it's got some visual issues.

It's not for everyone. Both games are severely flawed. But they offer unique experiences- whether sprawling, open environment co-op survival or an interesting adventure game with great ambiance.

Too many words!

Seance

Banned
Ugh I'm hesitating too much over pressing the buy button on binary domain. I think that's my instincts telling me it's not a very good game and I should wait for it to be $5. I'll probably save the money for a sensible Spec Ops deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Desert-to-Sea-Bundle-Download/dp/B0091T6FQO/ref=pd_ts_zgc_vg_2445220011_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=1350266442&pf_rd_s=right-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=979455011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZNT9H02Q9ZATARV0TRV

Derrick01

Banned
It's a pretty good TPS with a cast that isn't the usual macho stereotypes. I wasn't really into it in the beginning, the first mission is kind of bland. After that it becomes quite enjoyable.

The story, while not entirely capitalized on, is a lot better than what you'd expect from the genre. Overall, a nice package.

You're talking about saving $1.24 here

But that $1.24 could get me....something probably!

I'm going to wait and see what Steam does because I already have bioshock 1 and 2. Spec Ops is $15 right now on Steam without being a daily or flash deal so I think it could at least get to $7.50.

BadAss2961

I have it on my wishlist, but also wouldn't pay anymore than $5 for it. Looks like a potentially fun shooter, but definitely a quick beat & delete.

I'm also holding off on TWD. $7.50's my sweet spot for that.

Watevaman

I am not seeing a price or any option to buy it now. I would have gone for this too if I had.

Yeah a lot of places don't seem to have it for US customers (GetGames being one of them), but it's ~11 USD on the UK Steam store if you know someone who can gift it to you. That's what I did, as I feel it won't get much cheaper as that 2.50 GBP deal was only for a day it seems.

graywolf323

The Walking Dead and Chivalry look fun and worth the money, but I only have $20 in my account at the moment and just found out that I'm having to drive to someone's house for dinner on Christmas, so I need to save my money for gas

I know what you mean man, I'm having to pass on Chivalry due to similar financial constraints

RSLAEV

Didn't expect Binary Domain to go so cheap. Bought.

Now just waiting for Driver San Francisco to go on Flash sale...

Is the PC version of Binary Domain a big upgrade over the 360 version? I got the 360 one on clearance for $5 a few months ago, but haven't played it yet. It worth it to buy the PC version?

dreamfall

I'm going to wait and see what Steam does because I already have bioshock 1 and 2. Spec Ops is $15 right now on Steam without being a daily or flash deal so I think it could at least get to $7.50.

Check your PM! And play it- there isn't much enjoyment in it, but it's worth experiencing!

Fantasmo

Wow, Killing Floor looks SO fun but I only play comfy couch mode, I don't touch a keyboard and mouse anymore. Shame it doesn't support controllers :(

Miker

Is the PC version of Binary Domain a big upgrade over the 360 version? I got the 360 one on clearance for $5 a few months ago, but haven't played it yet. It worth it to buy the PC version?

It runs flawless if you have an nvidia card, and it has perfect controller support, as well as FOV options.

Scythian

I'm considering the Pint Sized Paradox Package over at Amazon, I have Crusader Kings 2, is it worth it? How are Majesty and Warlock?

cicero

Wow, Killing Floor looks SO fun but I only play comfy couch mode, I don't touch a keyboard and mouse anymore. Shame it doesn't support controllers :(
You can't really be serious... There is no way you could even play it with a controller competently, hence the lack of controller support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom