• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in purchasing Dark Souls for my partner's brother (as well as for me!), for PC. Can someone give me a quick run down on Games for Windows and how it applies in the case of Dark Souls? I have never had to install a game outside of Steam and I'm not familiar with GfM in the slightest outside of the name. Is it difficult to get the game up and running? Thanks for the help! :)
No. When the game boots up it will ask you to sign in. Since you haven't used GFWL before, you will need to create an account. If you don't care about online (although you really should with Dark Souls) you can create a local account and be on your way. Otherwise, follow the link to Xbox.com and create your gamertag. Once that is done, you will be able to set it to auto login each time you boot up the game and you won't need to worry about it.

Note, if you're on Windows 8 it's another story...

Edit-
Do I need to create a GFWL account, etc? I have an existing Xbox Live account, will that suffice? I realize these might be stupid questions but I'm transitioning from console gaming to PC. Is the install process any different?
In this case, simply recover your tag through GFWL and that's it. Your Xbox Live account and GFWL account are one and the same.

mannerbot

Do I need to create a GFWL account, etc? I have an existing Xbox Live account, will that suffice? I realize these might be stupid questions but I'm transitioning from console gaming to PC. Is the install process any different?

Yes, you can just use your existing XBL account and rack up achievement points there. And no, the install process isn't any different.

Koroviev

No. When the game boots up it will ask you to sign in. Since you haven't used GFWL before, you will need to create an account. If you don't care about online (although you really should with Dark Souls) you can create a local account and be on your way. Otherwise, follow the link to Xbox.com and create your gamertag. Once that is done, you will be able to set it to auto login each time you boot up the game and you won't need to worry about it.

Edit-

In this case, simply recover your tag through GFWL and that's it. Your Xbox Live account and GFWL account are one and the same.

Oh, does Dark Souls not run well on Windows 8?

mannerbot

It's fine with Windows 8. I think what Stronghammer22 was referring to was problems with GFWL on Windows 8. At least, I had problems with getting SSFIVAE to work but wound up fixing it by uninstalling GFWL and reinstalling it; I guess there might be something wrong with the GFWL installation that comes with Windows 8.

It requires a certain version of GFWL to run. All GFWL games on Windows 8 do. Otherwise, when you try to start the game it will immediately crash or you won't be able to sign in.

The version that works for my friends and I is included with Microsoft Flight, lol.

The performance on Windows 8 is completely fine once you get GFWL running.

Koroviev

It's fine with Windows 8. I think what Stronghammer22 was referring to was problems with GFWL on Windows 8. At least, I had problems with getting SSFIVAE to work but wound up fixing it by uninstalling GFWL and reinstalling it; I guess there might be something wrong with the GFWL installation that comes with Windows 8.

It requires a certain version of GFWL to run. All GFWL games on Windows 8 do. Otherwise, when you try to start the game it will immediately crash or you won't be able to sign in.

The version that works for my friends and I is included with Microsoft Flight, lol.

I see, thanks.

Edit-

Thanks so much for the help! That is all rather straightforward. I'd read many horror stories involving GFWL here, though maybe that was involving Windows 8 as you mentioned in your later post. I'll be hurrying along to Amazon in this case! Thanks again.

Grief.exe

In 5-10 years we are going to be really struggling to run GFWL games.

Probably just crack them at that point, doubt they will run otherwise.

So Hotline Miami is amazing. I've been playing it for the past hour and a half and now that I've closed it out, I feel like I've just left a nightclub.

A very violent nightclub.

So it's definitely worth grabbing it as well as the base game?

I understand it's a decent expansion given the price, but I'm ignorant as to whether it's worth the $$.

It is worth it. I don't want to blame them but some features it has should have been just a public patch. And the new buildings and era feature are neat.
You can play the original first and start the expansion later but with the price I can say just go on and buy both anyway.

Huh? I'm on Windows 8 and I just downloaded the GFWL client from xbox.com. I didn't encounter any problems whatsoever.

So Hotline Miami is amazing. I've been playing it for the past hour and a half and now that I've closed it out, I feel like I've just left a nightclub.

A very violent nightclub.

It really has an effect. Especially if you play with headphones and full of caffeine. They should put a warning to it: "Can cause disorientation"

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Only thing I've picked up so far is FTL and RPG Maker.

FTL is amazing, but it's a roguelike. I'm already done with it. Perfect sale game.
RPG Maker is changing my life. I fucking love it. Love it.

Dingotech

It is worth it. I don't want to blame them but some features it has should have been just a public patch. And the new buildings and era feature are neat.
You can play the original first and start the expansion later but with the price I can say just go on and buy both anyway.

Thanks, I've grabbed both.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Added the game to my wishlist, but it seems that this sale doesn't extend to it. Hope it'll be a flash or something.
Also; Off-Topic but I wanted to ask you this, is that Vica Kerekes on your avatar?

Yup. I added you to steam to give you a chance to waste yourself playing sh.

KillerAJD

So I've got a problem maybe somebody here could help with. My buddy bought himself the Civ V GOTY edition, and then gifted me a copy. The only problem is he was on a shitty internet connection and it kept disconnecting, so somehow he ended up gifting me 3 (!) copies of the game. He's already sent off an email to Steam Support, but from what I understand, Steam is notorious for not giving refunds. Has anybody ever done this on accident and what were the end results? Or, if you know somebody in Steam Support that could potentially help if the email is replied with a "no can do", that'd be awesome. Worse case scenario, anybody want to buy a copy of Civ V?

HoosTrax

Ugh, I just reached my first throw-controller-against-wall moment in Dark Souls.

Blight-town swamps, and the giant bag of fail that is the game's targeting system. I can't hit mosquitos that I'm locked onto and that are flying right in front of my face because they're slightly above me. It's just a non-stop failtrain of death by thousand mosquito bites and slow poisoning and the game's camera flailing around uncontrollably.

So I've got a problem maybe somebody here could help with. My buddy bought himself the Civ V GOTY edition, and then gifted me a copy. The only problem is he was on a shitty internet connection and it kept disconnecting, so somehow he ended up gifting me 3 (!) copies of the game. He's already sent off an email to Steam Support, but from what I understand, Steam is notorious for not giving refunds. Has anybody ever done this on accident and what were the end results? Or, if you know somebody in Steam Support that could potentially help if the email is replied with a "no can do", that'd be awesome. Worse case scenario, anybody want to buy a copy of Civ V?

Steam does do refunds occasionally. Just explain what happened. What usually happens is that they will tell him that it will be a one time gesture and refund him, but refund as Steam wallet funds only.

Ugh, I just reached my first throw-controller-against-wall moment in Dark Souls.

Blight-town swamps, and the giant bag of fail that is the game's targeting system. I can't hit mosquitos that I'm locked onto and that are flying right in front of my face because they're slightly above me. It's just a non-stop failtrain of death by thousand mosquito bites and slow poisoning and the game's camera flailing around uncontrollably.

Don't worry about the camera. Chances are your attack would have magically clipped straight through the mosquito and done nothing anyway, because that's how Blighttown functions.

KillerAJD

Steam does do refunds occasionally. Just explain what happened. What usually happens is that they will tell him that it will be a one time gesture and refund him, but refund as Steam wallet funds only.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I told him to explain in as much detail possible, so hopefully it works out. He probably won't be too happy that it may be in Steam funds, but luckily I don't think the $50 will break the bank for him at this time.

Was only interested in FTL at $2.50, but decided I'll bite at $5 when it gets there. Yeah, it was that cheap on the website the other day, but I'm going to grab a second copy at that price to gift to a friend, and it's easier to do that through Steam.

hNmGt.png

First person to quote this post will get a copy of Analogue: A Hate Story + the soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom