• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we got people on Reddit saying that GamersGate removed a game they redeemed from their Steam account.
Here is the link.
But remember this:

42Q0r.jpg

Ok, clarification. It seems that he still got his games on Steam. Just removed from GamersGate library. Carry on, everyone. Nothing to see here.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm curious, what's the name of that Argentinian indie dev? I'd like to check out their games.
They're called NGD Studios and have like 30-40 people, mostly devoted to advergames and for-client games (Cartoon Network, stuff like that).

They've made two "proper" games, neither of which are very good, but the argie game industry is small and overly dependent on the client business strategy. Those games would be Regnum Online (a F2P MMO that doesn't offer much of interest but for some reason it's been something of a small hit in Germany) and Bunch of Heroes (a twin stick shooter infamous for a broken achievement on last Steam Christmas achievement extravaganza, also not great, but at least a little better).

They're working on a couple of new stuff to be put on Steam that I'm not in position to divulge :D

I envy Chile for having a developer like ACE Team, and I like NGD, but I wish they could take some hints from ACE.

Ended up getting FTL from the dev's website. There's almost no excuse not to do so because it costs the same, you get a Steam key AND a DRM-Free version, and more money goes to the dev (through the Humble Store).

And don't use the soundtrack bundle as an excuse, because if you notice, the soundtrack "bundle" costs exactly the same as the game and soundtrack separately, so you could conceivably pick up FTL from the dev's website and the soundtrack from Steam for the exact same price.

Volcynika

Ended up getting FTL from the dev's website. There's almost no excuse not to do so because it costs the same, you get a Steam key AND a DRM-Free version, and more money goes to the dev (through the Humble Store).

And don't use the soundtrack bundle as an excuse, because if you notice, the soundtrack "bundle" costs exactly the same as the game and soundtrack separately, so you could conceivably pick up FTL from the dev's website and the soundtrack from Steam for the exact same price.

Still goin for Steam, easier!

Grief.exe

I just tried it and my entire crew died after I killed some pirates in the first 5 minutes. lol

Man, FTL is hard as shit.

My advice for new players in no particular order:

Play on Easy.
Visit all areas in a particular galaxy before being forced to move on.
Engines>Shields (level both).
Crew Teleporter and Cloak are just dandy for the final boss.
Killing the crew of an enemy ship while keeping it intact nets you more scrap.

FTL, just how hard is it?

Pretty difficult, but follow these tips and its manageable after you understand the mechanics.

MRORANGE

i59XSBatTdC0B.gif

If you still refused to pick up the sleeper hit of this year here's my thoughts on why you should pick up sleeping dogs:

"Sleeping Dogs is probably going to be my favourite game this year. It’s hard to imagine why Activision wanted to scrap this game as it really excels well as a sandbox game and has refined how we see the genre altogether.

The story is amazing and can hold its own compared to Mafia 2 / GTA4. The combat is great, as well as movement; it’s very responsive compared to GTA4. Car’s are slightly arcade-ish to handle - but considering you can hijack cars and do slow motion shoot-outs it works out pretty well.

Overall Sleeping Dogs is a love letter to Hong Kong cinema; I’ve been mesmerized by its tiny immaculate detail which gives this game so much charisma and charm. Truly one the great gems of this generation.

On a last note, the PC version is just amazing, advance PC options and day 1 HD textures really show that United Front is commited to the PC. Listening to Ninja Tune radio while driving a motorbike down a wet and rainy neon lit sky is just pure bliss."

I'm not lying when I say the PC version is good:.

Recall

My advice for new players in no particular order:

Play on Easy.
Visit all areas in a particular galaxy before being forced to move on.
Engines>Shields (level both).
Crew Teleporter and Cloak are just dandy for the final boss.
Killing the crew of an enemy ship while keeping it intact nets you more scrap.

Pretty difficult, but follow these tips and its manageable after you understand the mechanics.

I suggest that you keep all doors/airlocks to the outside of your ship open at all times, certain enemies wont board with these sections O2 deprived making for easier passge through the earlier sectors.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I didn't receive any email, any refunds or any indication from Gamersgate that my Bethesda Pack(s) would be removed.

However, I just gifted everything that I did not retrieve a key to myself and now they're outside of the Bethesda pack.

This will either not matter, save me from the unavoidable refund OR bring attention to my account and have them all removed.

I'll let everyone know what happens.

Gintoki

Amazon has Dark Souls (gfwl) for $19. Do you think the same rules apply of waiting for the steam daily deals?

Steam had it as a flash deal at that price. If you bought any PC DD game from amazon, you'll get a $5 credit and will be able to use that on dark souls by new years.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hence I didn't say you "can't", I said it belongs elsewhere and doing so here makes you an asshole.

And I'm glad such assholes who didn't even have their keys yet when selling them might now lose money. That makes me ecstatic.

I'm done with this. Hope we get some more sweet GG deals since Steams are so weak in comparison.
Dude, c'mon. From what I've seen so far I know you're a nice guy, but between this and the Yoshichan gifts you're starting to sound a bit like an asshole yourself. Please stop, they're not going to change their minds and neither are you, just let it go.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sleeping Dogs is #1 on my wishlist but I think I'll still wait for GOTY after getting fucked over for Arkham City DLC. I just played 50+ hours of SR3 anyway so I should take a break from sandbox.

Fireblend

Banned
i59XSBatTdC0B.gif

If you still refused to pick up the sleeper hit of this year here's my thoughts on why you should pick up sleeping dogs:

I'm not lying when I say the PC version is good:.

I bought it at GMG a few days ago and have been playing it like crazy. Just got the 25% complete achievement. It's amazing, much, much better than GTA IV.

Is the high resolution texture pack worth it? Will it slow down the game for me? I'm running it at ~35fps on Extreme settings.

Petrie

Banned
Dude, c'mon. From what I've seen so far I know you're a nice guy, but between this and the Yoshichan gifts you're starting to sound a bit like an asshole yourself. Please stop, they're not going to change their minds and neither are you, just let it go.

I already said I was done and let it go. I've moved forward to handing out more gifts. Lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'rv bought Civilization IV during the sale and the text looks like this:

tdtpS.jpg

Does anyone know how I can make it look normal or get a refund?

Sounds (looks?) like a system font issue. As in, some font that the game uses didn't get installed and it's using whatever it has next, and it's a shitty font.

Google it up.

ShaneB

10 minutes left!!! Good luck to everyone entering.

images

I've created a Private Steamgift giveaway for 2 copies of FTL. The url is hidden in this post. It ends at 4pm eastern.

FTL is incredible; I've only owned it for a week and already it's my second-most played on Steam (for perspective, my Steam account is over 4 years old and I have around 300 games). I simply can't stop thinking about it or even stop wanting to play it. The price it's going on at the official site is absolutely preposterous for this game. 5$ for one of the top three games (not just indie, in general) I've played this year, DRM free AND a Steam key? Needless to say, I'm gifting copies left and right to friends. Heck, if you buy a game this year, it should be this.

Aside from that, indeed, Steam sales (so far, at least), have been less ridiculosly spectacular these Christmas. I kind of understand the downward spiral in prices has to stop sometime; there is a point where making games becomes non-profittable, especially if most people wait for 75% off. I have the feeling Steam itself probably told game companies across the board to dial down their sales to avoid this price war escalation. I'm happy with things as they are; amazing indie deals like FTL or La-Mulana (get it with two games for 1.50$) can keep me going for years.

MRORANGE

I bought it at GMG a few days ago and have been playing it like crazy. Just got the 25% complete achievement. It's amazing, much, much better than GTA IV.

Is the high resolution texture pack worth it? Will it slow down the game for me? I'm running it at ~35fps on Extreme settings.

Worth a shot, you can disable it in the settings menu if I recall.

High res vs no high res:
With:
ib2jm0c5vAtecS.bmp

Without:
ib21sBo6BmTaeU.bmp

Sleeping Dogs is #1 on my wishlist but I think I'll still wait for GOTY after getting fucked over for Arkham City DLC.

Most of the DLC is cosmetic, some of the pieces are actually missions based and don't last that long, just best to get to get the main game at this point imo.

I'rv bought Civilization IV during the sale and the text looks like this:

tdtpS.jpg

Does anyone know how I can make it look normal or get a refund?

Are you using Intel for graphics? If so try different resolution or playing in windowed for some time. That fixed it for me on my netbook.

mileS

Fantastic post MRORANGE!

BUY SLEEPING DOGS NOW! seriously. GO

Also Fireblend, I didn't notice a huge hit with the high res pack at all. Its most def worth it. One thing to note for people looking for better performance. Run everything on max but bump the AA down to the first setting. There's still not many jaggies and it runs a hell of a lot smoother overall.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They're called NGD Studios and have like 30-40 people, mostly devoted to advergames and for-client games (Cartoon Network, stuff like that).

They've made two "proper" games, neither of which are very good, but the argie game industry is small and overly dependent on the client business strategy. Those games would be Regnum Online (a F2P MMO that doesn't offer much of interest but for some reason it's been something of a small hit in Germany) and Bunch of Heroes (a twin stick shooter infamous for a broken achievement on last Steam Christmas achievement extravaganza, also not great, but at least a little better).

They're working on a couple of new stuff to be put on Steam that I'm not in position to divulge :D

I envy Chile for having a developer like ACE Team, and I like NGD, but I wish they could take some hints from ACE.
Oh Regnum, I tried it once, before discovering WoW and playing that for a year. It wasn't bad, but I didn't understand it at the time, and playing alone wasn't fun. Last year a couple of friends started playing it, but I wasn't interested anymore.

And I've heard about Bunch of Heroes being rather bad, though I haven't played it. Maybe one day we'll be able to make a high quality game here, and with any luck I'll get my name in the credits, at least in the "Special Thanks" section xD
(definitely need to improve my programming skills A LOT if I want to develop a game myself)

More sales for almost no effort?
I don't think there will be any difference in sales by not implementing Steamworks in the the Steam version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom