• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Did you partake in the Portal 2 release ARG? Those who nabbed all the Golden Potatoes were given the Valve Complete Pack and any dupes were added to your inventory.

Does it still work with the Valve Complete Pack?

Is there any games any of you wanted but didnt have any money to get during this Winter Sale?

Not that I don't have the money, but I would have appreciated a discount for Puddle, even a small one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there any games any of you wanted but didnt have any money to get during this Winter Sale?

Miasmata and Primordia. Both were outvoted in their respective Community's Choice polls and haven't appeared anywhere else since, although I have $3 in my PayPal account so I'll put that towards the latter when it eventually reappears at 50% off (spending $2 won't break the bank).

dreamfall

The dialogue ranges from decent to unconvincing and cheesy. Same for the voice acting. (It sounds to me like one of those situations where the actors are generally talented, but they don't always know the correct context for their lines. And some of the lines could not be made to sound believable by anyone.) I also feel there's too much narration by the main character, which really kills the atmosphere.

The worst writing is found in the collectable "diary pages" you find as you play. I heard the game was developed in Spain, which wouldn't surprise me if true. It's so bad I'm internally "editing" it as I read them so I don't just ignore them altogether.

I dunno... the trailer hooked me with the game's look and feel, I am a huge fan of a well-executed post-apocalyptic experience. I expected (or wanted) much smarter story-telling to go along with it, and now that I'm reading that the game is very short (a few hours at most), I'm feeling like my money could have been better spent on Hotline Miami instead.

But it is indeed a great-looking game. And the gameplay mechanics have also proven, so far, to be solid and responsive (though I have read some complaints in other threads about control glitches). I guess it just doesn't feel as inspired as I expected, given how smooth and polished it all looks in motion.

Thanks for posting your impressions- definitely going to wait on it for a good while. I think the extended narration is probably the most egregious offense- it is such an immersion killer. Matched with a sub-par story, and it could feel tiresome.

Aesthetically, it is gorgeous. Shame it couldn't be more!

Far Cry 3.

:p

Completely this~

God damn, wished Ubi would've done some sale for AC III or Far Cry 3! Nothing, nada!

So many dreams, so little consolation!

Salsa

sure it always happens. Already out of moneys and I missed/wont be able to get Resonance, Fly'n, Giana Sisters, Tony Hawk, Miasmata, Deponia.. etcetc

so far for me its been impossible for it not to happen in every sale so you just cut your losses and try to get what you absolutely know you'll play right away

infinite money would be rad tho. Dangerously rad

sure it always happens. Already out of moneys and I missed/wont be able to get Resonance, Fly'n, Giana Sisters, Tony Hawk, Miasmata, Deponia.. etcetc

so far for me its been impossible for it not to happen in every sale so you just cut your losses and try to get what you absolutely know you'll play right away

infinite money would be rad tho

That sucks. Pass me your e-mail, I'll gift you Gianna Sisters.

And that's the last of my giveaways.

dreamfall

We're solving this right now. PM me your email, as I tried to add you on Steam & you've got too many friends!

EDIT: GAF is too awesome! Tony Hawk perhaps?

jokkir

Did you partake in the Portal 2 release ARG? Those who nabbed all the Golden Potatoes were given the Valve Complete Pack and any dupes were added to your inventory.

Edit: It's also possible that you crafted it during last year's Winter Sale, or somebody decided to give it to you at some point.

Ah, it was probably the Winter sale lol. I remember coal or whatever

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does it still work with the Valve Complete Pack?

Nope, you don't get any spare copies. When Valve sent out the Valve Complete Pack to those with all 36 GPs, it wasn't gifted through Steam, but added to accounts manually.

wazoo

God damn, wished Ubi would've done some sale for AC III or Far Cry 3! Nothing, nada!

So many dreams, so little consolation!

Ubi push for Uplay - which is also a file downloader - you could get Far Cry 3 for less than 20E in December. Same for Assassin Creed 3.

What will todays GG mistake be? Hitman Absolution for 1 €? Hotline Miami for 2 cents? Assassins Creed Complete Edition for 3€?

I would laugh if they make another mistake.

baconcow

What will todays GG mistake be? Hitman Absolution for 1 €? Hotline Miami for 2 cents? Assassins Creed Complete Edition for 3€?

I would laugh if they make another mistake.

I'm not even going to bother. All that crap from last night and I ended up with cancelled order and no keys.

I'm not even going to bother. All that crap from last night and I ended up with cancelled order and no keys.

Do it fast and you have no problems. Me on the other side: i have lost my money and didnt got any keys. I hope the support will answer my ticket soon... or i will buy the shit out of the next mistake they make.

Kabouter

Thanks for the impressions - I'm more interested in the trading side of the games than the combat, and in a let's play of PR3 that I started watching there seem to be two campaigns - trader, and adventurer. The adventurer one seemed more combat focussed - if I play as a trader can I avoid the poor combat and just trade stuff?

You can avoid combat in that you can auto-simulate it (meaning you will always need a superior fleet, and will never capture a ship), but you will be attacked by pirates. As far as the trading side of things goes, I think that PR3 does a decent enough job there, but is considerably more annoying in its reputation system with countries (required for expansion with trade posts) than I remember PR1 and 2 being. Patrician 4 isn't as good trading wise as Port Royale 3, Patrician 3 is better than P4.

Kabouter

Haha yeah, I won't bother either, though I did get a copy of Borderlands 2 out of it (for now at least), but the hassle and lack of information from their end...

That said, I think they're absolutely right in cancelling the orders, even if the pricing mistake was their fault. Anyone could see it was a pricing mistake, and while I don't know about laws in other countries, here that means a retailer can undo the transaction if it is obvious to any person that it was a pricing mistake. Meaning that if they had sold Borderlands 2 for 60% or 75% off, they would have had to honour that, given how common sales that deep are with other games, but not 97% off lol.

Mr_Zombie

What do you guys think of Worms Revolution? I need a fix of Worms but I didn't like Reloaded (small teams, console UI, fugly menus, weird physics etc.). Is Revolution any better?

I love Football Manager 2013. Why aren't you guys playing it?

Americans will get a pass, but for the rest of you Europeans/Asians, I'm very disappointed in you lot.

Carm

Guys, Dungeons.

Can you please at least take a look at the OT? Because this game does not deserve the fate it has. I mean, seriously now. $4?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482175

Yes it is! Also take a look at the OT if you want some hints from others:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491849

Its a puzzle platformer, but I enjoyed the narration based design. If you absolutely cant stand Indie platformers though, maybe you should avoid.

If anyone wants Dungeons Gold it may be cheaper on GMG with the voucher. I got it for just over £4 yesterday, and it activates on Steam. Includes all the DLC for both games, too.

Really late responding to this but the GMG version, I'm guessing is not the Steam Special Edition sold at GMG? Seems that versions has a couple of extras.

Also, in regards to LA Noire, do we know if there is any activation limits with its DRM? Says this in fine print but can't find any more info

Initial activation requires internet connection and Rockstar Games Social Club (13+ to register); software installation required including GameShield IronWrap & Patcher

Kabouter

Americans will get a pass, but for the rest of you Europeans/Asians, I'm very disappointed in you lot.

It will probably be in my top 10 GOTY, though I haven't put nearly as much time into it as previous games, was busy with other stuff. Still obviously a quality title, Sports Interactive knows how to do a yearly sports game, just gradually improving things with every iteration.

Zimbardo

Really late responding to this but the GMG version, I'm guessing is not the Steam Special Edition sold at GMG? Seems that versions has a couple of extras.

ya it is the Steam Special Edition ...i grabbed Dungeons Gold Editon off there the other day. used my $6 credit from Sleeping Dogs to get it for free. haven't tried it yet tho ...so i dunno how good it is.

Salsa

it remains the biggest mistery why even though I have a huge passion for football and simulation systems, I couldnt get into these games

I mean I played it and enjoyed it, but it never hooked me as it did for so many people

I have a friend who bought a laptop purely to play it between study breaks and such without having to use his main computer. Pretty sure he put like 10 thousand hours on it or something

didamangi

I'm in that zone when I just feel fed up with FM, the itch is gone for now but I suspect it will come back next year for FM 14.

And I'm still waiting for a good XCOM deal man, still 4 hours to go before the GMG discount.

I have FM2012 sitting in my Steam library with about 1h played mainly because I bought a new PC recently and can't make the spreadsheets look nicer. Not enough tesselation or bokeh.

Come on Test Drive Unlimited 2 and Dead Space. Gimme that discount!!

Whats more annoying is I have seen these pop up on sale multiple times before... I just had no real need to get them off my wishlist at that point.

dreamfall

Come on Test Drive Unlimited 2 and Dead Space. Gimme that discount!!

Whats more annoying is I have seen these pop up on sale multiple times before... I just had no real need to get them off my wishlist at that point.

Hey, we should do a little Flash/Daily anticipation dance for some Dead Space bundle! Been hoping since Day 1!

Danj

I did buy it a while back, but it's a very time intensive game, even in FM Classic mode, and lately I just haven't felt like putting the necessary time into it. If the Steam Sale keeps sucking the way it has though, maybe I'll make some time for it. Magic 2013 has been occupying my attention mostly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom