• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

Must...not...buy...XCOM.

Hold strong men, HOLD STRONG

I'm about to break...yeah I broke... and I am broke. and I didn't even like the demo! FFFFFFFF

EDIT: or not, apparently paypal wont authorize the purchase. GMG is really the worst sometimes with this stuff, is there a workaround? I feel like I get this randomly half of the time and it works other times, on the same computer/connection...

Also, got FTL last night based on recommendations. I had to look up what 'roguelike' even means, but stupidly did that after I bought the game. Started on easy and got boarded in sector 2, I don't think I had any way to defend myself so I died. I can see the appeal and I definitely like the game, seems like there's a crazy amount of replaybility.

adg1034

A reminder: if you bought Sleeping Dogs from GMG earlier in the sale, you either got a $4 refund or $6 in store credit. Apply that to the current XCOM deal, and you're looking at $11.50 for the strategy game of the year.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Also, got FTL last night based on recommendations. I had to look up what 'roguelike' even means, but stupidly did that after I bought the game. Started on easy and got boarded in sector 2, I don't think I had any way to defend myself so I died. I can see the appeal and I definitely like the game, seems like there's a crazy amount of replaybility.

I'd say play on easy until you unlock some extra ships/get used to the different systems.

Normal is hard...

eznark

Banned
A reminder: if you bought Sleeping Dogs from GMG earlier in the sale, you either got a $4 refund or $6 in store credit. Apply that to the current XCOM deal, and you're looking at $11.50 for the strategy game of the year.

$11.50 for Fallen Enchantress is a steal!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, why did Activision have to screw up Tony Hawk HD? I would love to replay those games right now but I've heard too many negative impressions at this point.

I've now failed 5 times to get a cheaper copy of Borderlands 2 and Risen still hasn't gone on sale. At least I was able to get xcom and Dark Souls at a decent price. Those are the 2 games I was really after going into the sale.

So... Hotline Miami. Everytime I look at those screenshots reminds me of the old Loaded game for Saturn/PS1. I wasn't very fond of that game. GAF, convince me otherwise.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm about to break...yeah I broke... and I am broke. and I didn't even like the demo! FFFFFFFF

EDIT: or not, apparently paypal wont authorize the purchase. GMG is really the worst sometimes with this stuff, is there a workaround? I feel like I get this randomly half of the time and it works other times, on the same computer/connection...

Give in and buy.

PEW PEW PEW

Shootin alienz brah..

Don't hold, BUY

goddamit guys. i mean, i had $1.24 credit on gmg, i had to do it. right? right!?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Its even 100% for me. (WTF are they doing?)

Can you get it for me and I'll paypal you? (but if it's free..)

It's showing up as 75% for me, and I already have Dead Island, but I can never get a good deal on the upgrade pack on Steam...

Edit: Got in an euro proxy and there's no buy button on the 100% deal.. :(

Sullichin

Man, why did Activision have to screw up Tony Hawk HD? I would love to replay those games right now but I've heard too many negative impressions at this point.

Yeah don't make the same mistake I did and get it just cause it's cheap.

- No multiplayer, and it's obvious that the console versions have it. The menu has a "single player" option for shits sake, kind of insulting!
- No graphics options whatsoever, although there's mods / ini file edits that can do this. Also I get screen tearing, and the vanilla game is really ugly
- The menus look like power point slides
- All of the high score objectives are way too low, you can complete them in just a couple of combos and the rest of the objectives have not stood the test of time well at all.
- There's DLC which should have just been in the normal release.
- Perhaps worst of all they somehow messed up the controls. It just doesn't feel right.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
gmg games activate on steam? Want to get steam achievements.

Depends on the game. You'll see the following disclaimer on the pages of games that activate on Steam:

SczTp.png

Sarcasm

Speaking of Dead Island..the game is great if I can get past the shitty audio and constant crashes.

I run it on

W7 64 bit
I7 3770K
GTX670
8GB of ram.

Audio crackles. It crashes upon load. It crashes during play. It crashes during exit.

Verifying does nothing. I edited scr files and ini's. I give up.

There is -no- support from them either.

didamangi

Can you get it for me and I'll paypal you? (but if it's free..)

It's showing up as 75% for me, and I already have Dead Island, but I can never get a good deal on the upgrade pack on Steam...

Edit: Got in an euro proxy and there's no buy button on the 100% deal.. :(

If you still need it I can help you out, it's showing $4.99 for me.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well Saints Row 3 looks mighty tempting for less than $8. I was trying to have some self control and go the whole sale without buying anything. Still waiting for a 35% off Far Cry 3 sale too!
Didn't you have a THQ coupon from Amazon? I got the Franchise Pack for $2.5 there. Though I bought it only for the DLC, as I had bought the base game in July for $10, also from Amazon.

So... Hotline Miami. Everytime I look at those screenshots reminds me of the old Loaded game for Saturn/PS1. I wasn't very fond of that game. GAF, convince me otherwise.

this game is so good brah, the soundtrack is awesome and its a total trip totally worth $5 on amazing i think, gameplay is fun and satisfying as hell, you might die a lot but it fun to retry the levels

Tame

Just tried my wife's bank card, different bank, and still the order wont complete. GMG are pretty useless. "Here's a great deal ... but we wont let you pay for it!"
GMG doesn't like my bank card either. Had to do my purchases through PayPal

ZenaxPure

Ugh I hate GMG so much, decided to wait on xcom yesterday on steam to try my luck on GMG again but I still can't get the stupid website to accept my payment. I'd say I understand their problem but looks like other people say the issue isn't really what it appears to be. Would just go through paypal but my paypal has been causing me problems for a long time and I can't get it working either.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
If CivV wins the poll, you think that Gods&Kings will be discounted as well?

http://blog.greenmangaming.com/2012/12/christmas-isnt-over-yet-more-great-gmg.html
Sunday 30th December

85% Off Civ 5 Gods and Kings

If you can wait, well under 5 bucks with that 30% code.
Amazon strategy pack might still be better value depending on your location though, maybe.

Maths edit:
2K Strategy pack: $20
or
Amazon: GOTY edition $12.50 today
GMG: G&K $3.15 on the 30th
or
Steam: Dunno, Straya.

eznark

Banned
I actually haven't. But I've never really been able to get into many Stardock games. GalCiv 1 was amazing, but with the nightmare of the original Elemental launch...

I love XCOM and up until FE it was my game of the year. No joke, if you had any interest at all in Elemental when it first came out, check out Fallen Enchantress. It's an incredible game. Fixes (99%) of the issues with Elemental and really nails the original vision there. I love it so much that despite getting it free as a result of buying Elemental day 1 I bought it on Steam to give them some cash.

Can't recommend it enough if you like strategy games.

Interfectum

Ugh I hate GMG so much, decided to wait on xcom yesterday on steam to try my luck on GMG again but I still can't get the stupid website to accept my payment. I'd say I understand their problem but looks like other people say the issue isn't really what it appears to be. Would just go through paypal but my paypal has been causing me problems for a long time and I can't get it working either.

Sounds like more of a problem with your bank/CC company and Paypal rather than GMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom