• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBasch

Eh, dunno why I bought Rainbow Six Vegas 1. Kinda wanted to play it after liking 2, but couldn't resist the price.

Here's waiting for Back to the Future before calling it quits on this shit.

PaulLFC

Console version? Activision is notoriously stingy. Vampire the masquerade had still never been lower than $20 before last year. It came out in 2004.
I remember this well, I bought it for 33% off because it had never been on sale up to then and everyone thought it wouldn't be again for years. I think it was 75% off at least twice in the couple of months after that.

chixdiggit

Natural Selection 2 is soooo rad. Having an amazing time with it and I barely even tried the Aliens and never been the commander.

It's really a pretty amazing game, and a great evolution of the first, play some more aliens though they have a little steeper learning curve but once you figure things out they are a blast to play!

What little I have played of the aliens they do seem fun. It seemed to me that you really need to know the maps to be effective with them (so I have been learning the maps with Marine.

Console version? Activision is notoriously stingy. Vampire the masquerade had still never been lower than $20 before last year. It came out in 2004.
Yea thats true. Picked it up in August of last year for $5 bucks.
Why does Dark Souls still require GFWL? I thought I read somewhere they were trying to make the game no require it
Technically, it has always required GFWL. Even for the Steam version. One of the most laziest ports to PC though until Durante's mod came out.

KPJZKC

Anybody else having difficulty downloading on Steam at the moment? Have tried London and Sweden servers but on both all of my games are stuck on "Update Required/Suspended" and nothing happens (if I try to install a new game or verify a games installed files it gets stuck on that page forever).

Trying to figure out if I need to fuck around with my VPN stuff in case the uni changed the settings over the holidays or if I should be on some super secret Steam server (incidentally, which is the least used europe one, can never remember which nordic country it is :p)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why does Dark Souls still require GFWL? I thought I read somewhere they were trying to make the game no require it

From wouldn't commit either way, which lead to speculation GFWL would be dropped, but as we all know, Dark Souls was discovered to be one of the most barebones ports in the history of PC gaming.

PaulLFC

Anybody else having difficulty downloading on Steam at the moment? Have tried London and Sweden servers but on both all of my games are stuck on "Update Required/Suspended" and nothing happens (if I try to install a new game or verify a games installed files it gets stuck on that page forever).

Trying to figure out if I need to fuck around with my VPN stuff in case the uni changed the settings over the holidays or if I should be on some super secret Steam server (incidentally, which is the least used europe one, can never remember which nordic country it is :p)
I think something is up with the London server, it would only download at less than 1KB/s for me before, so I changed to Manchester and that's working okay so far.

Caerith

From wouldn't commit either way, which lead to speculation GFWL would be dropped, but as we all know, Dark Souls was discovered to be one of the most barebones ports in the history of PC gaming.
Bare bones but flawless post-Durante. Just install the res fix, the texture/font mod, and the mod to fix Quelaag's textures. It isn't buggy and the GFWL implementation is years ahead of the save-destroying intrusive bullshit of, say, Arkham City.

JaseC

Bare bones but flawless post-Durante. Just install the res fix, the texture/font mod, and the mod to fix Quelaag's textures. It isn't buggy and the GFWL implementation is years ahead of the save-destroying intrusive bullshit of, say, Arkham City.

It certainly shines with the right amount of fan-made polish.

This is probably old and negative news but it was still funny lol. Miner Wars 2081.

wikipedia said:
Although the game was just greenlit, there is already pay-for DLC including a 5$ payment to unlock cheats. Game developers do not have a marketing team and due to that they happened to make many negative decisions that made the general gaming community[5] hate them and their game. Things such as already mentioned cheats, referral spam or pay-to-win game strategy made this a widely known and hated product of greed.

hym

Banned
Why are people saying to buy FTL on the official site rather than Steam? Does it matter?

On Steam 30% of the price goes to Valve, at the developer it doesn't while you still get a Steam key and a DRM free version for the same price.

Edit: weee #5

So Saints Row 3 the complete package has EVERYTHING ever released then for SR3 right? And all that for 7,49? hmm might have to grab it then i guess, i enjoyed SR2 so this might be decent!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
What is FTL?

ylW2S.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491849

JaseC

Yep, but it's important to distinguish it from the downright terrible ports out there like Saints Row 2.

I'd say the developer effort is comparable, though. Dark Souls is nothing more than a port of the X360 codebase and Saints Row 2 is a broken game that is no less so in its PC version.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So Saints Row 3 the complete package has EVERYTHING ever released then for SR3 right? And all that for 7,49? hmm might have to grab it then i guess, i enjoyed SR2 so this might be decent!
No. It doesn't include the Unlockables pack nor the Vampire or whatever it's called one. I don't know if it's missing anything else.

Noaloha

If anyone recalls, earlier in the year when XCOM was released, Green Man Gaming ran a 'pre-order now and get a free copy of Civ V for Steam' promotion. Around the time, I think GMG was acting up; for some reason, the Civ V code didn't show up for me and I quickly forgot all about it.

Well, I've just been fussing around in the GMG back-end looking to see what my purchase history was and, lo and behold, there's what looks like a Steam key labelled 'Civ V' just sitting there! I have no reason to suspect that this won't unlock a full vanilla Civ V.

Quote to claim!

I've not yet tried the hidden text technique -- I hope this works. :]

Yep, but it's important to distinguish it from the downright terrible ports out there like Saints Row 2.

Yeah, Dark Souls lack of graphical options is downright baffling and bad. But that shouldn't be confused with a technically bad port (bugs, terrible performance etc.). It's actually pretty solid on a technical front. It was just missing settings options which is now fixed thanks to Durante.

Danielsan

If anyone recalls, earlier in the year when XCOM was released, Green Man Gaming ran a 'pre-order now and get a free copy of Civ V for Steam' promotion. Around the time, I think GMG was acting up; for some reason, the Civ V code didn't show up for me and I quickly forgot all about it.

Well, I've just been fussing around in the GMG back-end looking to see what my purchase history was and, lo and behold, there's what looks like a Steam key labelled 'Civ V' just sitting there! I have no reason to suspect that this won't unlock a full vanilla Civ V.

Quote to claim!

I've not yet tried the hidden text technique -- I hope this works. :]

I jumped on it. Thank you so much for the code! Civ V was high on my wishlist. I've never played a Civ game before and based on what I've heard, I fear for what this game will do to my sleep when combined with FTL and Grimrock.

biocat

Bought XCOM from GMG but not going to apply the code until I get back from the holidays and can test the performance on my laptop.
I'm not sure how well it will run on my first-gen i7 and GT 230m.

Noaloha

I jumped on it. Thank you so much for the code! Civ V was high on my wishlist. I've never played a Civ game before and based on what I've heard, I fear for what this game will do to my sleep when combined with FTL and Grimrock.

You're most welcome! Apologies in advance for the body-clock damage.

I decided to pull the trigger on the Legend of Grimrock at the last minute

Random Question - Is easy mode good for beginners to dungeon crawlers (like me in this case) or would you say its too easy even for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom