• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

didamangi

Yeah.. I let my GF play on easy her first play through. And basically in the 5th sector she got boarded and they just went ape crazy on the ship.

Upgrade your doors so it will take longer to breach and try to suffocate them. And lastly try to fight them in the medbay.

I played a game of FTL earlier. Got about 80% of the way across the map with only a couple of battles and then wham! The rebels had me surrounded, were getting guys in my ship and were hitting my weapons so I couldn't fight back.

The Kestrel was lost with all hands...

Nabs

Okay I've played a couple games of Chivalry now and I'm just fodder for everyone else. I'll stick with it but so far it's a "meh" for me.

Just played the first couple of levels of Sine Mora and damn that is fun.

Also, so happy to have gotten in on XCOM at $20 via Gamefly. Just lost my first squaddie today and it felt bad. What a great game.

Play the tutorial or watch a vid on youtube.

Sober

I played a game of FTL earlier. Got about 80% of the way across the map with only a couple of battles and then wham! The rebels had me surrounded, were getting guys in my ship and were hitting my weapons so I couldn't fight back.

Still haven't beat the final boss with the Kerstel. First win was on easy with the Engi ship, being able to ion stunlock the boss is hilarious. Only beat it again using the cruiser you get from beating him (the Osprey?).

Each time I had advanced FTL and at least an anti-ship drone, so I don't know if I could ever do that fight without those now :(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
More like FUCK MANTIS RAIDING PARTIES. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I got boarded in my last game...with a solar flare in the background. Solar Flares 3, GK 0.

I can no longer resist.

Also I just started Botanicula and it's immensely charming.

That one picture is accurate as fuck.

I have almost made it past the map twice, before either running into a stronger rebel, or a pirate ship with a drone. Hate those little buggers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yessir, and I adored it.

Lijak.gif

Mairu

Yes, though I don't know why since Amazon's price is way better.

I have a friend who bought both Scribblenauts & Lego LOTR off Steam when they were dailies (much to my disappointment for his wallet!) Some people just don't know that Amazon has better deals, and Amazon doesn't really do a great job of highlighting their deals if you don't frequent reddit/cag/neogaf

Nabs

I have a friend who bought both Scribblenauts & Lego LOTR off Steam when they were dailies (much to my disappointment for his wallet!) Some people just don't know that Amazon has better deals, and Amazon doesn't really do a great job of highlighting their deals if you don't frequent reddit/cag/neogaf

It's hard to find some of the store pages even if you know the deal exists.

Speevy

Banned
I'm really sick of hearing about this FTL game like it's the best game ever.

If the first person who replies to this post gets it for free, would they stop talking about it? I expect not.

dani_dc

Happy to see Dark Souls as the #1 seller right now (even though it's cheaper on amazon). PC version needs more players!

It also appears to be doing well on Amazon (#4 seller of "Core Game Downloads").
Always nice to see a great game doing well. I'm pretty curious about how many copies has the game sold so far on the PC platform.

I keep looking at ftl and really no matter how much people talk it up I'm sure it's not for me. Resource management/rts games just aren't my cup of tea.

What I want to hear more about is XCOM. Havent gotten a chance to dive in yet, but peoples impressions seem to be pretty positive. PC goty?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I keep looking at ftl and really no matter how much people talk it up I'm sure it's not for me. Resource management/rts games just aren't my cup of tea.

What I want to hear more about is XCOM. Havent gotten a chance to dive in yet, but peoples impressions seem to be pretty positive. PC goty?

Watch wtf review on it. Pretty much made up my mind. The game nails random events. You never know what around the next jump.

It also appears to be doing well on Amazon (#4 seller of "Core Game Downloads").
Always nice to see a great game doing well. I'm pretty curious about how many copies has the game sold so far on the PC platform.

I keep seeing a ton of Dark Souls love, but I just know I will absolutely hate that game. I'm not good at "you die 900 times just to figure out how to progress past this point" then rinse and repeat. Sounds like a recipe for me throwing my laptop out the window.

Only played XCOM for two hours or so but I'm already guaranteeing I'm going to love it. Do you like Fire Emblem? If so, then you'll love XCOM.

KarmaCow

I keep seeing a ton of Dark Souls love, but I just know I will absolutely hate that game. I'm not good at "you die 900 times just to figure out how to progress past this point" then rinse and repeat. Sounds like a recipe for me throwing my laptop out the window.

It's really not a throw-bullshit-at-you memorization game like I Wanna Be the Guy. You'll die a lot if you don't look without leaping and bosses are tough, but the game's difficulty is really overblown. A good shield and co-op almost trivializes the game.

Cystm

XCOM on sale right now for the next 24 hours @ Greenman Gaming

Steam has had XCOM on sale like for times now but has never gone more than 33% off. Is it likely to go lower on steam closer towards the end of the sale?

Def Jukie

Very cool of you Speevy but the FTL talk will not stop. It's not the best game ever but it's at least very refreshing and different than most other games out there.

Soi-Fong

OMG!! FTL!!! This game!!

Just choked 4 boarders to death by opening up main two back doors on the Kestrel and when they got near the front of my ship opening the side doors! By then they were less than half health.

Death by asphyxiation and CQC combat.

All this happening while my O2 was on the dumps. Good thing I had an Engi on board to fix the O2. Went down to as low as 5% lol.

JaseC

Steam has had XCOM on sale like for times now but has never gone more than 33% off. Is it likely to go lower on steam closer towards the end of the sale?

No. Short of mistakes, the discounts are set in stone.

I think Dishon is my GOTY but XCOM would be close second, tied with CKII. Highly recommended game, despite several aspects of it irritating me. It's good enough for you to see past its faults, and the same basic structure that kept people hooked in the original DOS game has been distilled rather than diluted by modern game design.

dot

Mmm, glad i bit on Analogue: A Hate Story.

I just beat it a few minutes ago. More people gotta play this visual novel/game! It's got a quite dark and depressing story... It is cute though in some parts too that i won't spoil.

Get it peoples! It's only $2.50. :)

KarmaCow

Why? We shouldn't reward incompetent developers.

Other than the bizarre resolution restriction and shitty kb&m controls (which are completely legitimate grievances), the port is pretty good. GFWL has been more of a hassle than the game itself. I've had more issues with Darksiders 2 than I've had with Dark Souls.

Either way, I don't think buying the game at 50% is rewarding them.

JaseC

Why? We shouldn't reward incompetent developers.

"You should be happy that the game is on the PC at all! FROM/Namco oblige the petition for a PC port of one of 2011's finest games and this is how you thank them? Talk about entitled!"

- Various, 2012.

Derrick01

Banned
Other than the bizarre resolution restriction and shitty kb&m controls (which are completely legitimate grievances), the port is pretty good. GFWL has been more of a hassle than the game itself. I've had more issues with Darksiders 2 than I've had with Dark Souls.

Either way, I don't think buying the game at 50% is rewarding them.

Resolution and framerate locks, GFWL, bad kb&m controls= good port? Doesn't sound like behavior that should be rewarded with even $1.

I'm glad durante fixed it and everything but unless he's getting the money then this shouldn't be purchased by anyone.

dani_dc

Honestly I think this image sumarizes the majority of Dark Souls experience:

It's a difficult game to be sure, but it's a game that rewards patient and skill, it's not an unfair game (well, for the most part) .
Also co-op helps aliviate the game difficulty by quite a bit.

With that said it's clearly not a game that everyone will appreciate, still I think it's worth giving it a try or two, if not at $20~$15 then at least consider giving it a go when it reaches cheaper prices.

KarmaCow

Resolution and framerate locks, GFWL, bad kb&m controls= good port? Doesn't sound like behavior that should be rewarded with even $1.

I'm glad durante fixed it and everything but unless he's getting the money then this shouldn't be purchased by anyone.

Fair enough, I don't want to defend those huge problems I just think there are worse ports out there. I love New Vegas but that game is a crashy mess.

I don't usually buy games with the thought of rewarding/punishing developers, so since the game is pretty good with the mods that have come out, I think it's a good buy at that discount.

xJavonta

Banned
Sorry if it's been asked already, but how do the AC games run on PC? I'm thinking of picking up AC1 or AC2 since I don't remember a damn thing about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom