• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kammie

Well, if there's anything positive to take away from this sale, it's that Steam and the Steam website aren't going down every five minutes like last year.

Bioshock pack for 7.50... or I can get it along with Spec Ops for 5 bucks on Amazon. Is Spec Ops worth it?

At some point early into development, Dan Houser forgot he was a game director and assumed the identity of the late Tony Scott.

Just read there was 4 hours of cutscenes in the game, it doesn't even last 10 hours, Steam says I played 7.8 hours but steam crashed during my last play session so probably 1-2 hours short of the total play time.

Cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene in middle of shooting gallery that leaves you in the open to die when gameplay starts again, cutscene

Got tiring after a while

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you want Steam real cheap try and look for the boxed version. Activates on Steam and is probably cheaper than Skyrim will be on the next christmas sale.

wSS7c.png

Just read there was 4 hours of cutscenes in the game, it doesn't even last 10 hours, Steam says I played 7.8 hours but steam crashed during my last play session so probably 1-2 hours short of the total play time.

Cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene in middle of shooting gallery that leaves you in the open to die when gameplay starts again, cutscene

Got tiring after a while

I like to joke that the game isn't worth more than the price of a movie ticket.

Koroviev

Well, if there's anything positive to take away from this sale, it's that Steam and the Steam website aren't going down every five minutes like last year.

Bioshock pack for 7.50... or I can get it along with Spec Ops for 5 bucks on Amazon. Is Spec Ops worth it?

I think so.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You are going to sucker me into buying that Dungeons Gold pack and it had better be great!@#

They arent nearly as deep as all the other games I usually recommend, but I had good fun with it.

coopolon

It's because people stopped caring after day 3 when it became apparent the sale was going to be awful.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Huh, cool. It's hard to tell if virtually all new games now require quad cores, or if that is simply becoming the new standard.

If your graphics card is somewhat decent on top of a dual core processor, you shouldnt have problems playing it at least. Its not that intensive on the lowest settings.

edit:

Also, grab GalCivII guys.

Toma

And now you drop a caveat planting another tiny seed of doubt... WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO TO ME HERE!@#

Read the OT! And watch the video I linked in there. If that sounds fun to you, give it a go.

Piano

Banned
The world is at our command?

You know, feel free to gift it to me, I won't complain :p

Just bought Alpha Protocol on GMG, I heard about the bad gameplay but it was CHEAP.

One of my favorite games in recent memory. Give it a few missions until you level up a bit and you'll be hooked.

Koroviev

If your graphics card is somewhat decent on top of a dual core processor, you shouldnt have problems playing it at least. Its not that intensive on the lowest settings.

edit:

Also, grab GalCivII guys.

My processor is a 3.0 GHz Athlon X2 250 that should be upgraded at some point, but I have a GTX 460, which supposedly shoulders more of the burden since it's a DX11 card. I generally avoid games if I can't play them on at least medium settings because I'm shallow.

An-Det

What do you guys think about the THQ bundle?

It's an insane deal, if you have any interest in just some of the games you should get it. It doesn't have everything in it (like various dlc or all the Dawn of War things) but you can't beat it for $25. Probably the best overall deal for the Steam sale.

cicero

Is FTL no longer $5? It says it is one place but when I try to check out it's $7.50

Ouch. Why did you wait so long to buy it? Knowing what I know now though, I would still consider it a great purchase at $7.50. I have had loads of fun playing it. And sadness. :(

But I watched let's plays of FTL and it looks dumb.
That is too bad. I finally sat down and played my GOG copy that I purchased the other week, spent around 4 hours before I realized it. I kept venturing out into space, being chased by my foes, encountering pirates, aliens, explosive novas, dense unexplored nebulas, crazy old men marooned on planets, and the cold black emptiness of space itself. I died from lack of oxygen, fires, heat waves from novas, pirates, ship implosions, crazy old men from marooned planets that I rescued, robot ships, intruders on my ship... Everything. And I loved it.

I once sat in the sick bay healing with my last living crew member, my captain, who I fondly named in my own mind, "Captain Starlington McCrunches", who was down to about 20 health, and every system on-board had failed, including life support, and my oxygen was depleting, but healing in sick bay kept me alive. So I sat there, healing my impending suffocation away, knowing that my good man Captain Starlington McCrunches was going to die. But there was a slim chance that maybe my sick bay could heal him up by a slim health point or two over a period of minutes, and I could get him up to 100 health before setting out to try to repair my oxygen life support system before running back to do it all over again. But it wasn't to be. Captain Starlington McCrunches went out in a blaze of space glory, dying as he lived, a wrench in his hand, a space fire in his belly, and a never say die attitude.

His body joined his derelict ruined ship, drifting alone in empty space, until it would be ransacked by pillaging space looters. Go buy and play FTL. Help Captain Starlington McCrunches live once again. ;_;

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favorite games in recent memory. Give it a few missions until you level up a bit and you'll be hooked.

So would you say stealth and douchebaggery is the best way to play this game? If so, I'll do it.

I implore you all to get and play The Witcher and The Witcher 2.

They are hands-down some of my favorite games to have ever played. The characters are fantastic, the setting is exceptionally realized, the music and art direction are brilliant, and the writing is phenomenal. The story is largely dictated by choices you make in the games, but, unlike Mass Effect, there are no blue or red choices. These games handle grey choices far better than any other game available. Hey, guess what, the choices you make actually do influence the outcome of events in the story in a significant way beyond decoration. Please, please get these games.

Also, Geralt is pretty much one of the most badass characters ever.

M9wFVl.jpg

If you get The Witcher 1, I would recommend perhaps looking into this mod:

If you find the system for having to go to an Inn/Bar to deposit items tedious or don't like having to find a campfire to meditate, I highly recommend the mod "Stuff that Makes Geralt's Life Easier." http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14811-tw1mod-stuff-that-make-geralts-life-easier/

You have to have an account on the site to download it, so I uploaded the mod for another user the other day if you like -
http://www.mediafire.com/?l7qs4flm2grmdqb

Instructions should be in a txt file when you unzip it.

It is extremely easy to put into practice, and it makes the game far less tedious.
It essentially just lets you keep every item you pick up in your inventory so you don't mess with limited storage space, you can meditate anywhere you want to distribute points when you level instead of having to track down a campfire somewhere in the map, and you can use the cateye potion (lets you see in the dark) any time you choose instead of having to mix them (witchers have the natural ability to see in the dark, but they made it a potion for the games).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom