• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

If you have the money and want to have it on your Steam library, why not? If you're actually waiting for other games to be dailies and are on a budget, you're better off saving the double-dipping for another sale.

The Steam budget is a mythical creature. Many sightings are reported, but few, if any, can be confirmed.

Man, I'm awful at FTL :( Just about getting to Sector 2 before I get battered.

I'm putting a man in shields, one in engines, one in the cockpit. I power down the medbay until needed to make sure everything else has power. I aim for shields first, then take out weapons.

What am I doing wrong?

Man that sounda bad. I got to Sector8 on my second play today. I got a 4 guys with each one skilled to lv2 for each platform. Fire bombs that go trough shields to fuck up their weapon system fast as hell. Was a nice run. And i didnt even run the tutorial. Just try to learn the game. Dont surrender after 3-5 playtroughs. Its a rouge like game so remember that.

Hmm so I've gotten to the point I always get during Steam sales. Double-dip on The Witcher 2 or not?

For the achievements? Hmmmmmmm... I've added many copies to my steam inventory that I grabbed during Steam sales, I never considering adding it to my own library.

Hmmmmm...

zkylon

zkylewd
Guess I'll take Alpha Protocol then, was close to buying it earlier today :) Gotta see what the fuss about it is
Sent, check your inbox.

Point Desperation!
Do IT! One of us.
If you have the money and want to have it on your Steam library, why not? If you're actually waiting for other games to be dailies and are on a budget, you're better off saving the double-dipping for another sale.
For the achievements? Hmmmmmmm... I've added many copies to my steam inventory that I grabbed during Steam sales, I never considering adding it to my own library.

Hmmmmm...
I kinda have the money, but feels like a shallow thing to do. Basically I want the achievements and for the constant reminder that it exists in my Steam Library, because I barely even remember what I own in GOG.

I am debating it since I own a Box copy with GOG.com back up, but I have The Witcher 1 on steam...

This is bad guys.
Nice, with the Geralt bust and everything?

I have The Witcher 1 boxed, it's got pretty cool packaging.

Sent, check your inbox.

I kinda have the money, but feels like a shallow thing to do. Basically I want the achievements and for the constant reminder that it exists in my Steam Library, because I barely even remember what I own in GOG.

Nice, with the Geralt bust and everything?

I have The Witcher 1 boxed, it's got pretty cool packaging.

Yeah, I was able to find one at K mart for $40 last may believe it or not.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Gaf, quick. Just finished everything I wanted to do in Sleeping Dogs. Want to play another game like it. I have never really played a GTA before.

How good is San Andreas on PC?

AlexBasch

I think when people spend more time with the bizarre shooting mechanics in this game, they end up really turned off to it. Obsidian themselves acknowledged that dice rolls that are completely hidden were a bad idea.
I think this is why I liked playing ME2 a lot more. Sure, ME1 is more of a WRPG game, but the shooting and overall gameplay was awful, ME2 absolutely improved on that, despite falling short to some of the ME1 stuff.

I know people despise shooting games now, but ME2 was an absolutely more fun game to play than 1, coming from someone who likes the whole trilogy as whole.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
And I still really want impressions for SPLICE.
splice.png

No one? If anyone else is interested, I might take the plunge to report back for others.

Koroviev

Update on that Chivalry 4-pack: all copies have been distributed.

However, I have seen several people asking about it, so I would suggest starting a new one.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Man, I'm awful at FTL :( Just about getting to Sector 2 before I get battered.

I'm putting a man in shields, one in engines, one in the cockpit. I power down the medbay until needed to make sure everything else has power. I aim for shields first, then take out weapons.

What am I doing wrong?

Make sure you go through as many systems as you can before proceeding to another Sector, that way you can maximize the scrap you get and/or potentially get another crewmate or weapon in a random event. Sector 2 is still easy mode so yea you're still doing something wrong. The 1 point allocated to medbay doesn't make a terrible difference but it is a good strategy. Personally on the Kessler I start with 1 person cockpit, 1 person engines, and 1 person weapons.

Evasion >>> Shields although you'll still want to have at least 1 more shield before Sector 8.

Doomrider

The Steam budget is a mythical creature. Many sightings are reported, but few, if any, can be confirmed.

Well...... I have one. I mean, I like to think I do. It's... Flexible, but it's there!

I think when people spend more time with the bizarre shooting mechanics in this game, they end up really turned off to it. Obsidian themselves acknowledged that dice rolls that are completely hidden were a bad idea. I think it would have ended up working really well if they just gave you more information, because the game honestly does present itself as a shooter... that you happen to miss half your shots in despite aiming just fine. And being as stat-driven as it is, you can end up with builds that play out like this: Aim a pistol at a dude's face and you miss; run up to him and punch him in the face and he's a goner for sure. That makes sense in your average RPG, not so much in your average shooter.

If there were some standard RPG numbers flying around, I think the game would have been received much better. That really was a mistake on Obsidian's part, because it requires putting in the effort of reminding yourself that there are RPG battle mechanics happening in the background. I mean, that's why Mass Effect 2 and 3 work the way they do, because of that kind of confusion. As much as those games seem like a step down, they make a lot more sense to most people.

Now that you mention it, there were a few times where I remember being a bit irritated at the aiming stuff, but it was rare because I used mostly a combination of mark & execute, sprinting around and melee to get by the levels. But I can see that kind of stuff getting old for a shootbang playthrough, sure.

We'll see how it affects my impression of the game, if at all.

Man, AP is awesome (I still need to finish it lol) would totally give a copy away on steamgifts but GMG is out of stock :L

For people who did get a copy I recommend going through this thread, some of the tweaks here make a huge difference

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/55422-modding-alpha-protocol/

Bookmarked, thanks!

I'd rather have ME1 and its "messy" mechanics but with its amazing atmosphere and story promise/lore over ME2's better shooting but empty plot and lack of atmosphere. I get it's all personal preference though. Sometimes I'd just rather have a good experience with some blemishes over an experience with things that are technically better but don't really contribute overall to the "feel" that you're looking for. I did enjoy ME2, but I thought it lacked most of the reasons why I was so drawn into the first game.

RE6 has better gameplay than the RE remake, but would I call it a better game just because of that? lol

Koroviev

I'd rather have ME1 and its "messy" mechanics but with its amazing atmosphere and story promise/lore over ME2's better shooting but empty plot and lack of atmosphere. I get it's all personal preference though. Sometimes I'd just rather have a good experience with some blemishes over an experience with things that are technically better but don't really contribute overall to the "feel" that you're looking for. I did enjoy ME2, but I thought it lacked most of the reasons why I was so drawn into the first game.

I find the world of ME1 to be much more engaging than that of ME2, Illium notwithstanding.

mannerbot

Does that still work if I bought The Witcher in 2009?

Edit: I don't see any "Cd Keys" for it on steam

Hm, that's strange but I don't actually have a Steam copy myself (bought a boxed copy back in 2006). Sorry if it turns out that this actually isn't possible, but I thought it was. x_x

zkylon

zkylewd
Aw, sucks that GMG ran out of AP keys, but it warms my heart to know so many people actually bought it.

It's my second favorite RPG of the generation, I think.

bonesquad

And I still really want impressions for SPLICE.
splice.png

No one? If anyone else is interested, I might take the plunge to report back for others.

I got Splice as part of an Android Humble Bundle and enjoy it (Splice was the main reason I got the bundle). At first the game made no sense and felt like I was just randomly grabbing/moving parts, but then I started to grasp the idea. I love the slick presentation. One of the best puzzle games I played this year (along with my personal favorite Girls Like Robots:) I think there's a GB quick look I'm too lazy to find, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's cheaper than $5.

I find the world of ME1 to be much more engaging than ME2, Illium notwithstanding.

Illium was cool. ME2 had some very nice locations, but I didn't get that feeling of dwarfing isolation that the first game gave me-- something I dug very much, and something that reminded me of being lost and isolated on the planet in Super Metroid or Metroid Prime. I love that atmosphere so much that I would gladly trade it for better gameplay.

ME3 started out promising with the Mars segment, but after that... yeah maybe we shouldn't go into it.

justjim89

Ugh, spent my last bit of money on Chivalry just to find out it runs piss poor on my laptop that usually runs things pretty well. Should have gone with Oblivion and Stealth Bastard.

cicero

Go to your main library page for "The Witcher" and look at the "Links" section on the far right. There should be a "CD Key" option there, click on it, take the key to THIS PAGE, enter it in. Win free GOG backup copy of The Witcher.

EDIT: This works for The Witcher 2 as well. I just registered the key from my years old physical copy of The Witcher and my Steam version of The Witcher 2 late last month.

PBalfredo

Has Dark Souls been on the daily deals yet?

How is the combat in The Witcher 2? I really wanted to like The Witcher 1, but felt that it's combat was hot garbage. Is it any better in 2?

Odd, that was back in the days where CD Projekt demanded you register your CD key to get patches. Alternatively, send a mail to CD Projekt (links at the Witcher website) with your proof of purchase (or a link to your public Steam community page), and hopefully they should work something out.

oipic

Willpower was strong, I held off and avoided FTL for now - well and truly enraptured by the hype here and elsewhere, but, you know... 'backlog'. If I lose hours to FTL, there's stuff I just won't get to that I really want to check off the list. Backlog guilt, it eats away at my gaming soul.

Oh, and anyone questioning whether to play the Witcher before tackling the sequel, please do - at least give it a solid go before choosing to skip it. It's a lovingly crafted piece of work.

http://www.thewitcher.com/backup/ Actually there's this support page which is meant for people that didn't get cdkieys so there's that as well.

Try here.

Followed the steps and scanned an Amazon receipt from my email earlier this year and I got the free backup copy, hope it works.

EDIT: Beaten by Narag. :p

Go to your main library page for "The Witcher" and look at the "Links" section on the far right. There should be a "CD Key" option there, click on it, take the key to THIS PAGE, enter it in. Win free GOG backup copy of The Witcher.

EDIT: This works for The Witcher 2 as well. I just registered the key from my years old physical copy of The Witcher and my Steam version of The Witcher 2 late last month.

Thank you all. My key didn't work so I had to allow them to view my steam account. No biggie. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom