• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Is San Andreas still good? I've never played a GTA but I just finished 27 hours of Sleeping Dogs and want that type of game but set in the US.

San Andreas is the best open world game of all time. Insane amount of content but unlike games of today it's not all filler and junk collectibles (though this does have plenty of collectibles if you want to get them) and it has the hands down best mission diversity of any open world game ever.

The only question is can you deal with it on kb&m and can you deal with the outdated combat. Actually the combat probably isn't as bad with mouse aiming but if you're like me you need a pad.

pargonta

is there a steam OT? i have a question to ask about booting big picture mode into a 1080p tv via thunderbolt->hdmi from a mac fitting the full resolution of the tv... i had it going earlier today but now my laptop is only letting bp mode on the laptop itself.

picked up bastion last night in the 75% sale, got my ps3 controller in hand... i'm just lost trying to make it all work lol.

Omega

Banned
San Andreas is the best open world game of all time. Insane amount of content but unlike games of today it's not all filler and junk collectibles (though this does have plenty of collectibles if you want to get them) and it has the hands down best mission diversity of any open world game ever.

The only question is can you deal with it on kb&m and can you deal with the outdated combat. Actually the combat probably isn't as bad with mouse aiming but if you're like me you need a pad.

this doesn't have pad support?

Dunlop

Wasn't/Isn't the Secret World supposed to be on sale soon somewhere for cheaper than what it's at on Steam?

Pretty sure you can get it for $20 at GMG using the code:

RGFY7-8WR83-C29H6-CRTMP-4P2FY

can't verify as I already purchased the game so I only have the option to redownload it.

That code worked with Xcom and Batman AC GOTY for me

kinda regretting my Witcher 2 purchase

Bugged out on my tutorial doing the Riposte training and I had to reset..then it worked and I got to the point where I needed to spend my ability point, which I did and the tutorial is still telling me to spend the point that I already spent and I cannot advance so I will need to reset. Also the gamepad controls are kinda shitty with the menu system.

I purchased this like 2 hours ago, don't suppose Steam allows you to return a game in a certain window?

Anyone having trouble connecting to their inventory today? I did a four pack on Chivalry with someone from CAG earlier today and they couldn't connect to me for trade. It was gifted to my email address which is all well and good, but I can't connect to to my inventory to accept/redeem the gift. All other steam functions are working properly. I've went as far as to delete the entire steam folder (sans steamapps folder and steam.exe) but it hasn' helped much. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be open to trying pretty much anything.

lolmoose

Neo Member

can't verify as I already purchased the game so I only have the option to redownload it.

Bugged out on my tutorial doing the Riposte training and I had to reset..then it worked and I got to the point where I needed to spend my ability point, which I did and the tutorial is still telling me to spend the point that I already spent and I cannot advance so I will need to reset. Also the gamepad controls are kinda shitty with the menu system.

I purchased this like 2 hours ago, don't suppose Steam allows you to return a game in a certain window?

I believe they never honor returns:p
the menu kinda sucks, but I prefer the game with my Xbox controller so much more.

Nabs

Thank you Steam servers for not sucking during the sale. Downloading 27 gb of Max Payne 3 isn't so bad when it's downloading so fast.

Does anybody know when the GMG Alpha Protocol deal technically ends? It is unfortunate that the keys ran out considering I was going to buy it this morning but I had a debit card error so I couldn't do it in the morning and vowed to wait.... I want to know if there is a chance that GMG will get more keys soon.

Dunlop

I believe they never honor returns:p
the menu kinda sucks, but I prefer the game with my Xbox controller so much more.

It was 7.50 so I won't cry too hard :p

Got hyped reading all the reviews and was looking for a good RPG, this will go on the backlist pile...

MRORANGE

Damn it, they removed: Who wants to be a Millionaire : South Park edition from steam ;-;

wJ31w.png

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so the Bioshock Bundle on steam is 1p cheaper if you buy them separate lol

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Elite, Frontier and FFE, I loved Freelancer, I highly enjoyed Darkstar One, and quite liked Tachyon: The Fringe and EVE Online.

I cannot get into any of the X games, at all.

You have similar taste in space sims to me. Out of interest, what put you off of the X series of games?

Jedi2016

Bundles are supposed cheaper than buying separate right?
Check out the Far Cry bundle.. it's eight bucks more than all the games in it separately.

They basically forgot to include the sale discount on the older games, the bundle price is the same as all of the normal prices combined.

lolmoose

Neo Member
It was 7.50 so I won't cry too hard :p

Got hyped reading all the reviews and was looking for a good RPG, this will go on the backlist pile...

I honestly don't like the combat in the game. I'm only a couple hours in and haven't played the first one so have no idea what's going on. The game is very pretty though lol.

derExperte

You can play all the additional heists without the DLC, just not host them. And it raises the level cap by giving you another class with additonal gadgets but it's better to first level up the other ones imo. So it's mainly for players that already put a lot of time in the game and want something more to achieve. For me it was worth the full price but newcomers won't get that much out of it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I will trade Vessel, Torchlight, Rochard, S.P.A.Z., Shatter, Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Jamestown for the X3 Terran War pack.
Yes, it's two humble bundle keys, but maybe someone missed it.

You have similar taste in space sims to me. Out of interest, what put you off of the X series of games?

The Spacesims I enjoy don't have too much emphasis on the 'sim' part of things when it comes to combat; Fast paced, arcade style 3D dogfighting, breaking up the buy-low / sell-high merchanting and exploration.

The X series... it's like wanting to play some Afterburner and ending up with a Janes military aircraft simulator, if that makes sense.

xptoxyz

I don't ever remember seeing that Millionaire game before either, searching the store now I find the base game+DLC like Star Trek but South Park is not on that list.

Dunlop

I honestly don't like the combat in the game. I'm only a couple hours in and haven't played the first one so have no idea what's going on. The game is very pretty though lol.

I posted a few pages back how I owned the witcher 1 and couldn't stand the controls so never played past an hour

So I will now have owned the witcher 1 and 2 and played neither

you're welcome Witcher fans :p

you're not the first to find Witcher 2 not living up to the hype. I played about four hours of the 360 version and find the game mediocre. I keep. meaning to go back to it based on gaf hype but so far I've just not bothered to try. I'd rather play xcom frankly.

Could anyone recommend some platformers, but not Super Meat Boy level of hard. My aunt really likes the older Mario games and asked me for something that is like those.

Like, collect the things, jump around, maybe power ups.

Although not strickly mario style she could have a look at the lego games, although only if she's interested in the setting (star wars, harry, batman, lord of the rings etc) because they are fun easy platformers with no penalty for mistakes.

There's also Giana sisters which gets a bit of praise here on gaf but I've always avoided because it doesn't appeal to me.

Artofwar420

Although not strickly mario style she could have a look at the lego games, although only if she's interested in the setting (star wars, harry, batman, lord of the rings etc) because they are fun easy platformers with no penalty for mistakes.

There's also Giana sisters which gets a bit of praise here on gaf but I've always avoided because it doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks man I'll ask her out.

Footos22

Well i think im done with this sale unless some absolutely amazing deals come in.
Caved and bought dark souls this morning i already double dipped but the better performance reeled me in again.

here is my (hopefully final :/) haul:

Assassins creed 2
Batman aa GOTY
Batman ac GOTY
Binary domain
Crysis
Crysis warhead
Crysis 2
Dark souls
DMC 4
Fear + expansion packs
Hotline miami
The last remnant
Left 4 dead
Left 4 dead 2
Max payne
Max Payne 2
Max Payne 3
Serious sam 3
Civ 5
Sim City 4
Sleeping dogs
Spec ops the line
Dawn of war 2 complete

In total i have spent just under £100.

But at least my target of not buying anything next year apart from the last of us and dark souls 2 should be more achievable then i first thought.

So, I know it won't run on my laptop but I decided I wanted to try to install Skyrim again because I'm a glutton for punishment.

I sign into steam and the library is only listing about 1/4 of my games, and the client says "no connection" at the bottom. I can browse the store, though. Are they getting overloaded due to steam sales or something? This has been going on since last night. I haven't used steam in a couple of months. Any way to fix this? The game only shows as bought if I go to the store page, but nothing happens if I click the play now button.

You didn't finish the step in the tutorial. You spend the point and apply the mutagene you have in your inventory on an ability with a little grey circle, but whatever, you seem to be completely turned off by the game. It does in fact play completely differently than the Witcher 1 so I don't think anyone was trying to mislead you.

Fuck that FTL boss. Tons of shields and weapons.
I finally managed to destroy it, with only a few hull and missiles left... Game: nope, it jumped away, try again. Lame.

During that run, I used a lot of boarding parties with the Engi ship. Pretty useful, too bad I only had humans suitable for boarding. Got me a weapon once. Some other memorable moments:

I had a boarding crew of two humans that were pretty good at killing bad guys. There were on the enemy ship and beating the enemy crew. But I didn't pay attention to my weapon/drone fire, and the ship blew up with my guys on it :(

During the boss, I sent in one guy to take out one of the weapon systems. Badly damaged he made it back on my ship, just as a missile hits the teleporter, killing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom