• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why vote for ME when you can't even have all three games on Steam? Guess some people don't care. That'd drive me up the wall.

If having the games on a single platform is important, I believe you can register your steam cd keys on Origin, so you'd have it both places if you bought it on Steam.

Haha bullshit.

Modern Warfare was 9.99 for the longest time during this sale and suddenly its up to 14.99.
What a crock of shit.

Voted for Quake even though I own all of the games(except part 4).

Nabs

Haha bullshit.

Modern Warfare was 9.99 for the longest time during this sale and suddenly its up to 14.99.
What a crock of shit.

Voted for Quake even though I own all of the games(except part 4).

It was 9.99 because it was on sale with the rest of the games.

Doomrider

Voted Quake because why not.

I played about 3 hours of Quake 4, and while the shooting feels pretty good, I didn't feel like the encounter/level design or enemy variety were particularly interesting. It just felt like enemies were put in corridors for me to shoot at. The gameplay didn't really grab me, and considering how that's really all there is to a Quake game (I mean, I certainly don't have any particular interest in the lore/story/characters, as they feel and probably are intended to be very throwaway), it's too bad.

I dropped it. I plan on going back to it, eventually. This time, with expectations in their proper place.

I don't know if I'll ever have the patience to play the older ones X_X

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I will never understand the need to put dailies, which were available for 48 hours, up again as flash sales. This sale is lame. And no, it's not because I have everything, it's because the discounts are no longer impressive and all I can gift to friends is the same old shit.

Danielsan

Just bought the Gods and Kings expansion, before even having touched bare bones CIV 5.
What are the odds that the GOTY DLC will go for cheaper than €5? It's now at 50% discount, but I feel it's a bit steep considering I paid like €3,20 for Gods and Kings.

1-D_FTW

I will never understand the need to put dailies, which were available for 48 hours, up again as flash sales. This sale is lame. And no, it's not because I have everything, it's because the discounts are no longer impressive and all I can gift to friends is the same old shit.

My guess is it's based on revenue. As long as a game can stay above a certain threshold, it'll keep getting tossed into the rotation until it drops and is surpassed by other games earning ability.

Omega

Banned

i mean i understand some people miss out on stuff but this is ridiculous.

I missed the first 3-4 days and I've seen some games up on the front page at least 3 times already. I'm sure they were there on the days I missed as well.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Just bought the Gods and Kings expansion, before even having touched bare bones CIV 5.
What are the odds that the GOTY DLC will go for cheaper than €5? It's now at 50% discount, but I feel it's a bit steep considering I paid like €3,20 for Gods and Kings.

I'm in this exact same conundrum: I never played Civ V, I got it, should I buy Gods & Kings?

Isn't it a different "single player" experience? Wouldn't that just be more Civ V to play?

I may get Trine, because a fellow gaffer gifted me Trine 2 :D

Do you guys think I should get it so I play them in order or just play 2 and then get 1 if I like it?

Isaccard

Lol

Edit: Were you able to obtain the extras?

Yes I got the extra's. Today is the last day, if you care about this stuff.

That is weird, it didn't ask me for mine. Although I already had an existing Funcom account from Age of Conan. (Which I bought a cheapass collector's version of years ago and then never played beyond the tutorial, but I digress.) As for the Secret World, getting it started was an exercise in frustration. First it took like 7 hours to download from Steam (I wish I were kidding) and then the patcher went nuts downloading data exceeding what it was supposed to download, to the point that it caused a fatal error, and apparently this is not uncommon according to their tech support forum. So i finally get ingame and my framerate never goes above 20fps no matter what I do. DX9 or 11, makes no difference, changing the visual settings doesn't make much difference either and it's not anywhere near pretty enough to justify this performance hit.

I was doing it wrong. I had to add my key to the registry url. Logged in, and will give some impressions after work later.

Torraz

I'm in this exact same conundrum: I never played Civ V, I got it, should I buy Gods & Kings?

Isn't it a different "single player" experience? Wouldn't that just be more Civ V to play?

Haven't played with gods and kings yet, but without it (and the other DLC) Civ V is a tad bare bones.

Yes, it totally improves Civ V. I liked the base game, but the improvements are so good that many people that complained about Civ V not being as good as Civ IV found that the Gods and Kings Expansion brought it back up to standards.

Here are some of the improvments/additions to the single player:

-adds the ability send spies
-create your own religion and spread it for cultural influence
-improved AI
-a bunch of new Civilizations to play
-new scenarios

For $3 it is an amazing deal. It was a full $30 expansion earlier this year and was totally worth that.

Weren't there 9 games in each daily during the summer sale? Maybe I'm misremembering. It certainly feels like this sale is just the same 20 games or so re-cycled through the flash and dailies.

I may get Trine, because a fellow gaffer gifted me Trine 2 :D

Do you guys think I should get it so I play them in order or just play 2 and then get 1 if I like it?

Trine 2 is the much better experience. Just play that. There isn't much story in Trine 1. The first 4 minutes of Trine 2 catches you up. And Trine 2 has the same mechanics but hugely improved in terms of adding new mechanics so the characters are more balanced and allowing for online play.

Anyone knows how I can change the installation-folder in uPlay?

I just reinstalled Windows 8 and I do not want to download FarCry 3 again (which is still on another HDD).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yes, it totally improves Civ V. I liked the base game, but the improvements are so good that many people that complained about Civ V not being as good as Civ IV found that the Gods and Kings Expansion brought it back up to standards.

Here are some of the improvments/additions to the single player:

-adds the ability send spies
-create your own religion and spread it for cultural influence
-improved AI
-a bunch of new Civilizations to play
-new scenarios

For $3 it is an amazing deal. It was a full $30 expansion earlier this year and was totally worth that.

But the changes from Gods & Kings get applied to the main game, or it's a different single player option on the menu screen?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Is Paradox not really active in this sale? I saw Crusder Kings 2 up for a vote and that's it. No publisher pack and I haven't seen EU3 or Hearts of Iron 3. I've been waiting to pick up HoI 3 on the cheap.

Trine 2 is the much better experience. Just play that. There isn't much story in Trine 1. The first 4 minutes of Trine 2 catches you up. And Trine 2 has the same mechanics but hugely improved in terms of adding new mechanics so the characters are more balanced and allowing for online play.

Thanks a lot! I will do as you recommend.

Doomrider

I still find Quake 1 to be really enjoyable.
It definitely has the best level-design of the series. (IMO)

I played the demo for the second one on the PSX a ton of years ago and I remember some relatively wide areas, both horizontally and vertically, so maybe they will be worth playing because of that... Those were nowhere to be found in my brief time with 4.

I also know that there's a mod that updates the visuals for the first two games (well, as much as you can update visuals for such old games without completely remaking them), so that'll probably... or rather, possibly make things easier on the eyes.

That saddens me greatly as well. I would love to replay it and revisit all the crazy bosses and cutscenes, but I don't have my PS2 copy anymore...

Eternia

The gmg Gods and Kings deal pushed me into making an account and spending money I shouldn't be spending. Of course I also wanted Tiny and Big and that ended today, whoops. Money saved!

OniShiro

Banned
Is Paradox not really active in this sale? I saw Crusder Kings 2 up for a vote and that's it. No publisher pack and I haven't seen EU3 or Hearts of Iron 3. I've been waiting to pick up HoI 3 on the cheap.
there are still some days left. all hope is not lost

Voted for Quake.

I'd get Plants vs. Zombies if 1) I didn't already have it on PSN and 2) I didn't get it for free on PC from the Halloween deal.

And Worms, that would be sweet, but I'll wait for it to be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom