• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is someone going to make a 11th hour cheap indie / lesser known games topic like last year?

Buy [The Secret World] now or you'll be sorry.
The link says that you get the 5th content pack for free and some other bits if you buy before the 31st. Amazon is going to have TSW as part of the editor's choice stuff that starts on the 1st or so, and at (I think) $18, so you can get the base game for $13. The value differences would appear to be ~$10 vs the mystery value of the 5th pack (which I kinda doubt will be $10). Am I correct?

Derrick01

Banned
Wow you can get Far Cry 2, one of the better FPS of this generation, for $2.50. Save all that money you were planning on spending on the kind of crappy FC3 and get 2 instead.

Wok

Did you know that you can categorize your games into different folders in steam?
I have a category for finished games

That is what I am doing now: one category per year. I have one for 2011 now:

tfe33.png

Does Steam list which game you have finished?

You have to keep track by yourself.

kami_sama

The link says that you get the 5th content pack for free and some other bits if you buy before the 31st. Amazon is going to have TSW as part of the editor's choice stuff that starts on the 1st or so, and at (I think) $18, so you can get the base game for $13. The value differences would appear to be ~$10 vs the mystery value of the 5th pack (which I kinda doubt will be $10). Am I correct?
Yea, but you also get some free items.

Dr Dogg

I've actually got 2 copies of Far Cry 2 that I got with my graphics cards. Don't thing they register on Steam but might do on Uplay.

Isaccard

Supposed the 5th DLC content will be priced at $5-10 - but buying before the above date also yields some bonus cosmetic items.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yea, but you also get some free items.
Maybe it's worth waiting until the Amazon deal after all. I can get it for around $12 with a coupon vs $20 right now.
Depending if his ban is lifted before then!
What'd he get banned for?

solarus

Wow you can get Far Cry 2, one of the better FPS of this generation, for $2.50. Save all that money you were planning on spending on the kind of crappy FC3 and get 2 instead.

Do not listen to this man. Fuck Far cry 2, the game was immensely boring and not worth my time. I even got the game for free when building my rig and I could not tell you where the disk for the game is currently. Far Cry 3 on the other hand is actually fun to play.

Someone sell me on TSW? Not that I really need any more time sinks after work, DotA2 and Starcraft 2.

My current understanding is its an MMO with various types of missions, you can choose 7 or so spells/abilities and factions can go into big PvP battles.

Elaborate please educated GAF.

Proc

hey guys...looks like far cry 1 is getting bundled in when you buy farcry 3...at least it did for me. This happened for another friend of mine. ymmv

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Why do you think we are waiting for a Steam sale? We want it on steam! :p
You can't activate it on Steam?
Someone sell me on TSW? Not that I really need any more time sinks after work, DotA2 and Starcraft 2.

My current understanding is its an MMO with various types of missions, you can choose 7 or so spells/abilities and factions can go into big PvP battles.

Elaborate please educated GAF.
The story supposed to be exceptional, better than a typical MMO. I guess PvP wasn't great at launch, but maybe they fixed it.

Maybe it's worth waiting until the Amazon deal after all. I can get it for around $12 with a coupon vs $20 right now.

What'd he get banned for?

"The first DLC will start selling in January 2013, and is the main storyline of issue #5. This will sell for $5, however this content is already fully unlocked for anyone who has a full game account registered before the end of December 2012."

from http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/subscription_no_longer_required

So I guess you'd save $5 by waiting? I'm not sure what the value of the rest of the stuff you get from subbing this year is, though. I'm leaning towards buying it eventually, but I think I'm going to wait til the Amazon deal, since I don't even know if I'll make it to Issue 5.

Derrick01

Banned
Do not listen to this man. Fuck Far cry 2, the game was immensely boring and not worth my time. I even got the game for free when building my rig and I could not tell you where the disk for the game is currently. Far Cry 3 on the other hand is actually fun to play.

Do not listen to this person! FC3 is worthless outside of the main story because of all the junk side content ubisoft filled it with, like they do with most of their games. Do you like finding thousands of loot boxes that have nothing but vendor trash in it? Do you like finding relics that do nothing but give more XP to an already unbalanced XP and skill tree system? Do you like having pointless side quests that are nothing more than the same activities over and over?

If the answer is yes than FC3 is your game. The main story alone is not worth $40.

Torraz

I've considered jumping into TOR just for the mainline stories. Not sure if that's the only thing exceptional about the writing for TSW. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, so something else is more appealing.

The further you come along the worse the generic mmo quest to story quest ratio becomes in TOR.

Isaccard

"The first DLC will start selling in January 2013, and is the main storyline of issue #5. This will sell for $5, however this content is already fully unlocked for anyone who has a full game account registered before the end of December 2012."

from http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/subscription_no_longer_required

So I guess you'd save $5 by waiting? I'm not sure what the value of the rest of the stuff you get from subbing this year is, though. I'm leaning towards buying it eventually, but I think I'm going to wait til the Amazon deal, since I don't even know if I'll make it to Issue 5.

You miss out on the bonus items though. If you care about that stuff.

Is this confirmed to work this way?

Steam just opens up the launcher, which patches itself through said launcher. I don't think it matters one way or another, other than just having it in you steam library and not giving EA an money.

The only place to get it on Steam is Steam.

Wunder

Is Orcs Must Die any good? Also, any reason why Reckoning hasn't ever never gone on sale? With 38 Studios basically gone, is there just a hold on any discounts on the game? I would have figured it would be the opposite.

Well you pay for a certain amount of bandwith a month and then its a dollar a GB i think when you go over, since I am living at home this month we go over :(

Thats horribble and I feel you, less than 2 years ago I had a bandwith cap of 25GB, go over and it was €5 for 5GB pack. Hope they expand your limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom