• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

DagsJT

Last night I hoped that Sim City 4 would go on sale and it did a few hours later. So now fingers crossed for Endless Space on a flash sale at 10pm :)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm a little disappointed, I was expecting a 75% off for mark of the ninja. I may buy it anyway.

DagsJT

I'm a little disappointed, I was expecting a 75% off for mark of the ninja. I may buy it anyway.

It was released just over two months ago, you seriously expected 75% off? And especially during this sale where 50% seems the common discount?

Doomrider

caliblue15 said:
So can I change the repopulating checkpoints on Far Cry 2 with the PC version? It's what ruined the PS3 version to me.. I shouldn't have to fight those checkpoints every time i pass it for one mission.

drizzle said:
I want to know that too.. But I doubt you can.

Anybody care to weight in?

Would this do the trick, guys? Someone linked to it on a previous Far Cry thread, and I bookmarked it.

ModDB said:
This mod fixes what Ubisoft left unfixed. Dylan's Realism Mod changes Far Cry 2 from an Africa-based sedan and pickup truck simulator into a (semi accurate)
African conflict simulator. Realistic weapon damage, recoil, realistic ammo loads and weapon reliability have been added, along with a more effective stealth suit, and revamped AI weapons. (No more SPAS12s and AR15s for militiamen). Checkpoint AI has been tweaked as well. Checkpoint guards now have a 60% chance to chase you after passing through, as opposed to 90%-100% in vanilla. Militiamen also communicate more frequently in combat, and use suppressing fire more often. However, you are now as vulnerable as the AI. A single burst of rifle fire can kill you, so you are probably going to need that extra ammo and stealth suit.

LiK

mneuro

Sniper Elite V2 is $12 at GetGamesGo, with a steam key. How is it? I really liked Sniper Elite and purchased Ghost Warrior the other day. Is V2 good? How is the multiplayer? Is there a community playing it?

Bricky

whats Gafs opinion on Anno 2070? Can build cities like in Sim City?

It's not really like Sim City, but if you enjoy City Builder-ish games like Tropico I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I'd not buy it at this price though if you don't really want/need to buy it now. I've seen it (and bought it) cheaper already.

Doomrider

sounds like a good mod for the checkpoints but everything else is not what i wanted. there's probably a mod to fix that alone somewhere.

Unfortunately, my modest google-fu skills tell me that's as close as you're gonna get to changing anything at all about the checkpoints. There's some guy on Steam who said he would try to do 2 mods for that: one with significantly delayed respawn times and another one with no respawns at all, but who knows when that might come into fruition.

Does far cry 2 worth it?

Damn euro, 2.50$ is not 2.50€ :(

You may end up not liking it, but it's worth it, yes.

It's not really like Sim City, but if you enjoy City Builder-ish games like Tropico I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I'd not buy it at this price though if you don't really want/need to buy it now. I've seen it (and bought it) cheaper already.

ok I will HOLD!!! thanks

original_zpsbeba19c7.jpg

DaBuddaDa

sounds like a good mod for the checkpoints but everything else is not what i wanted. there's probably a mod to fix that alone somewhere.

I hope so. Everyone I hear complains about "the annoying, respawning checkpoints" and I always wondered why that couldn't be modded out. Apparently they can be tweaked. It'd be great to install a mod that just tweaked the checkpoint respawns and didn't do all of this other stuff.

baconcow

hmm never played Tropico 4 is it fun ? I heard the game is more about economy

In ANNO, it focuses on missions, the specific building, and economy at a closer level. I've only played the demo missions. Much different from Sim City games. Watch some Let's Play videos. I'm waiting for the $10 price point.

In Tropico 4, you focus on similar things as ANNO. I don't think you can equate Sim City with either of these; the formula is quite different.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Looks like crisis on low settings.

I don't even want Far Cry 1, I just want Far Cry 2, but IF i'm buying one of them, I'm buying both. Fuck it.

Also because I'll buy Far Cry 3 eventually and I won't have 1 and 2 on my list and that's going to piss me off, but still...

LiK

I don't even want Far Cry 1, I just want Far Cry 2, but IF i'm buying one of them, I'm buying both. Fuck it.

Also because I'll buy Far Cry 3 eventually and I won't have 1 and 2 on my list and that's going to piss me off, but still...

i skipped FC1, it can be done!

Bricky

hmm never played Tropico 4 is it fun ? I heard the game is more about economy

Sim City really focuses on making a giant city and has a lot more micro-management. Tropico and this are much smaller in scale. You can still build quite big cities, and that's still a fun thing to do, but the focus lies elsewhere. In the case of Anno things like trading , the economy and gathering resources are very important. You're building the city to keep your people happy and make them prosper, not so much to make the city itself prosper (and look awesome) like in SimCity.

Personally prefer Tropico to Anno by the way, and it's far more enjoyable as a 'City' Builder than Anno (there's more buildings and freedom to build than in Anno). And it's cheaper to boot! So for the one that's the most like Simcity, go for Tropico 4 (or 3 with the expansion, they don't differ too much).

(Even then they're still quite different games though. The only thing on the market right now that's really like SimCity is Cities XL, but I've heard that's not such a great game.)

So can I change the repopulating checkpoints on Far Cry 2 with the PC version? It's what ruined the PS3 version to me.. I shouldn't have to fight those checkpoints every time i pass it for one mission.

As far as I can tell, though some have tried to make mods for the checkpoints, none have succeeded. According to the Rewards mod dev, the checkpoint spawning part is stored in an archive that was unreadable to the archive viewer program.

The closest that they have come is the Realism mod, which slightly changes the AI of the checkpoint guards so that they don't chase you every time.

LiK

Oh, I'm never going to play it. I'm just mildly interested in 2. I rather just play 3, but not for this price.

But I need it in my list if I have any of the other ones. Specially for 2.50.

lol, collector mentality, i know what you mean. i'm fighting it! *pushes back FC1*

Might end up getting Tropico 3 for like 2.49... that would make my yearly spending on steam like 15 bucks or so with summer steam sale and then Hotline Miami for $4.99...

Oh, I'm never going to play it. I'm just mildly interested in 2. I rather just play 3, but not for this price.

But I need it in my list if I have any of the other ones. Specially for 2.50.
Don't do that to yourself man!

I loved Far Cry 2 and going back into it after playing through FC3 made me appreciate it even more, but that's a lonely club on GAF so I have trouble recommending it. It's worth playing considering how divisive it is, just to see what side of the fence you're on.

I tried getting back into FC1 a month back and couldn't force myself through the early section. I just didn't like the shooting as much as I did when I originally played it so I stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom