• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaskade

I'm image this is the cheapest we'll see Far Cry 3 for a bit so I think I'm just going to get it. It'll be my winter break game. I only bought Hotline Miami and Mark of the Ninja so far so I still have money in the budget left.

baconcow

Might end up getting Tropico 3 for like 2.49... that would make my yearly spending on steam like 20 bucks or so with summer steam sale and then Hotline Miami for $4.99...

You spent $20 in a year? Oh dear god... I spent that on the first day of the winter sale :S

I'm still not sold on the Deluxe Edition of Far Cry 3. I don't want to get the standard and then realize the extra content is awesome. But, then again, chances are this will have DLC beyond the on-disc DLC and it will all be available in the future for cheap anyways. Who knows...

DagsJT

Hmm, just looking at "Tropico 4 - Modern Times" and it seems that, as I bought Tropico 4 from Amazon, I can only get Modern Times from Amazon. Steam's version only works with Steam, GamersGate says it only works with the GG version. Bit rubbish as Amazon are charging $19.99 just for the DLC.

baconcow

Hmm, just looking at "Tropico 4 - Modern Times" and it seems that, as I bought Tropico 4 from Amazon, I can only get Modern Times from Amazon. Steam's version only works with Steam, GamersGate says it only works with the GG version. Bit rubbish as Amazon are charging $19.99 just for the DLC.

Steam had Tropico 4 + Modern Times for $10. For those wanting modern times... might be worth rebuying it here instead of paying $20 there.

frozzted

Why is the Far Cry franchise showing $49.99 , when Far Cry 3 is on sale for 37.49 and FC1 and 2 are on sale for $2.49 each.

Or do I have some sort of glitch.

baconcow

Why is the Far Cry franchise showing $49.99 , when Far Cry 3 is on sale for 37.49 and FC1 and 2 are on sale for $2.49 each.

Or do I have some sort of glitch.

It was supposed to be the Deluxe Edition of Far Cry 3. They just messed it up. Deluxe + FC1 + FC2 = $45 + 2.50 + 2.50 = $50.00. My guess anyways. A rip off, no matter what, since I have read the Deluxe Edition of FC3 comes with FC1 anyways. Or used to.

Eusis

How is Devil may Cry 4 a flash deal when it's been 66% off this entire sale? Is steam just trolling us at this point?
I figure either it had a deeper discount in other regions but not in the USA, it WAS supposed to get that but Capcom backed out so they lamely highlighted it instead, or they really are going to start using the flash/dailies to highlight deals rather than actually make them cheaper.

Nabs

I figure either it had a deeper discount in other regions but not in the USA, it WAS supposed to get that but Capcom backed out so they lamely highlighted it instead, or they really are going to start using the flash/dailies to highlight deals rather than actually make them cheaper.

The bundle is the flash deal.

baconcow

Farcry 3 Franchise bundle is more expensive than individually bought? lol, defeats the point of a bundle doesn't it.

As mentioned 100000 times already, it is a glitch. If you look at the price, it should be the Deluxe Edition as with the UK. They just messed up and made it the regular edition. If they had a heart, which I don't think Valve does, they would give everyone who bought it the Deluxe Edition upgrade since they paid that much. ($45 + 2.50 + 2.50).

Nabs

Did you guys notice that Far Cry 3 bundle is more expensive than buying everything individually? Wow Ubisoft, really?

As mentioned 100000 times already, it is a glitch. If you look at the price, it should be the Deluxe Edition as with the UK. They just messed up and made it the regular edition. If they had a heart, which I don't think Valve does, they would give everyone who bought it the Deluxe Edition upgrade since they paid that much. ($45 + 2.50 + 2.50).

The registry entry for the pack contains the deluxe, so there's a good chance you're getting it either way. It's just a messed up listing. Can the person who bought the pack check and see if they have the deluxe FC3?

The pricing is still weird even with the deluxe.

GJS

It's still cheaper to buy individually with the Deluxe Edition, at least in the UK.

I feel bad for anyone who has Steam game list OCD and picks up the classic Doom games. Their naming scheme puts them all over the place and Doom 2 shows up first.

Grayman

Are the Steam versions of Doom 2/Final Doom etc really that bad?
The steam versions are perfect if you can do some tweaking, mainly not playing them as steam sends them.

The proper way to play DOOM, DOOM II, and derivatives is to:
1 download zdoom http://zdoom.org/Download
2 install the game on steam
3 browse on your harddrive to \steamapps\common\Doom whatever\doom.wad and copy this to your zdoom directory
4 uninstall it on steam
5 configure zdoom how you want it in regard to resolution and effects
6 don't turn on jumping, seriously. don't.

Alternatively you can use your wads in Tain's fork of zdoom called ManDoom which will make you play like a man. ManDoom also implements the random level creator http://users.zoominternet.net/~tain/ManDoom/

Eusis

The bundle is the flash deal.
So it's just misleading. Too bad DMC3's shit on PC, I think I'd just stick with getting the PS3 HD collection for that one.

DMC4 has no DRM, right? I got a copy from Newegg way back, so if there aren't any hidden surprises I'll just stick with that one.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
lol, yea, buy them individually.

Or just buy Far Cry 2 and call it a day!

I still do want to try 3 someday, but it sounds like Ubisoft did exactly what I hoped Ubisoft wouldn't do to it. Between that and Vaas it's probably gonna take a much lower price before I bite.

Wolfie5

My guess is, since they only corrected the countdown clock, that this was suppose to be the flash price and the regular sale will be only 50% off instead of the 66% we have seen since the sale started for DMC4 :(

Are the Steam versions of Doom 2/Final Doom etc really that bad?

The steam versions are just the old games running in dosbox. They're perfectly fine like that, but as mentioned by Grayman there are better ways to play it (i.e. zdoom.) Regardless, it's a cheap way to own the WAD files.

Santiako

Great! Mark of the Ninja again, I missed it the first time.

After that, I'm done with the sale. I want Hotline Miami, but I don't have more money.

Eusis

The steam versions are just the old games running in dosbox. They're perfectly fine like that, but as mentioned by Grayman there are better ways to play it (i.e. zdoom.) Regardless, it's a cheap way to own the WAD files.
Yeah, pretty much. It's a completely non issue how the Steam release is handled so long as you can use the WADs for source ports.

baconcow

I own FC1, so buying the pack would be worthless for me, anyways. I only want FC3 and I think I'll buy the Deluxe version. I usually frown upon Deluxe versions of games, but that's because they usually contain 100% useless BS. I have been reading of happy people who chose the Deluxe over the standard and those who wish they had bought the Deluxe and cannot upgrade. Plus... C4 monkeys... yeah.

Sim City really focuses on making a giant city and has a lot more micro-management. Tropico and this are much smaller in scale. You can still build quite big cities, and that's still a fun thing to do, but the focus lies elsewhere. In the case of Anno things like trading , the economy and gathering resources are very important. You're building the city to keep your people happy and make them prosper, not so much to make the city itself prosper (and look awesome) like in SimCity.

Personally prefer Tropico to Anno by the way, and it's far more enjoyable as a 'City' Builder than Anno (there's more buildings and freedom to build than in Anno). And it's cheaper to boot! So for the one that's the most like Simcity, go for Tropico 4 (or 3 with the expansion, they don't differ too much).

(Even then they're still quite different games though. The only thing on the market right now that's really like SimCity is Cities XL, but I've heard that's not such a great game.)

awesome!thank you for awesome explanation but my wallet is not to happy lol

saletime.jpeg

Kammie

And now the FarCry bundle is 8th on the top sellers. Nice job Valve/Ubisoft. An impressive scheme.
Let's not forget to congratulate Sega as well, who probably managed to sell a number of Sonic bundles while omitting about 2/3 of what was originally in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom