• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingotech

They do care. Get an address from Borderlinx or similar.

I use an address from a fake personality generator... they care a lot I suppose...

Of course the general details should probably match, but when Tony posted here he basically posted a green light that you could buy from the site no problem, as long as you punched in a US address.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally home from work... time to continue the pain :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I can't get my retail copy of the Bard's Tale to install on win8, so I guess I'll be purchasing that in just a minute.

Oh wow, the steam version of Bard's Tale 2005 also includes all three original Bard's Tale games, all for $2.49:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41900/

I played the shit out of Bard's Tale I, II, and III on my Commodore 64 back in high school. I think I'm gonna have to buy this package, even if the newer remake sucks at least I'll be able to take a nostalgia trip through the old games!

Aaron

Only played a little of I Am Alive, but so far it's not nearly as good as the Disaster Report games. The level of interaction is very, very limited.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
I'm curious as to how bad as well.

I'm told you'll get better performance emulating the PS2 version than you will with identical hardware on the PC version. Also graphics (i.e. resolution) are (is) worse and there are a slew of controller-recognition and slowdown issues as well. DMC4 however: that is hands down the best "console port" in the history of forever; optimisations up the arse.

Giran

I was laughing at that when I played FC3. It's like ubisoft set out on purpose to try and develop a worse achievement system than Steam's.

But they actually have a reward system attached to it. They aren't just worthless badges you get. In theory anyway. In practice I have like 250 points racked up on their system because the rewards don't interest me but the system itself is still better.

Nexus: Jupiter Incident is super cheap: http://store.steampowered.com/app/6420 had it on my wishlist for a while, is it any good?

I had the same question a week ago when I was looking for something like Homeworld. Someone answered that Nexus -- while not like Homeworld -- is a decent space strategy game with great battles.

I bought it yesterday and fiddled with the tutorial mission. So far I can see that it's going to be pretty deep. Lots of toggles and knobs on screen!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Doom 3... god, what a love/hate-relationship I have with the game.

Re: War in the North - if I recall correctly you can't play online unless both players are in the same area of the game, or some such silliness.

Does it hold up for a single player? I'm interested. Does it play like the old Return of the King game at all?

Alienups

Doom 3... god, what a love/hate-relationship I have with the game.

It didn't live up to the hype for me, monster closets are dumb as hell and i hated the plastic look even back then when everyone was raving about the graphics but despite that, i still had fun on my first playthrough and i lost my cd's so...

Any chance of it popping up in a daily or should i just bite?

kharma45

Re: War in the North - if I recall correctly you can't play online unless both players are in the same area of the game, or some such silliness.

Does it hold up for a single player? I'm interested. Does it play like the old Return of the King game at all?

I liked ROTK game and loved The Third Age RPG, looks kinda like a mixture of the two so I'm hoping I like it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If you want DmC 4 get it from GMG and use this code GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 it comes to $4.76 total. Don't think it will get cheaper on steam

Good deal. I bailed once I got to the second half where it switches to Dante and has you backtracking through the entire game, but it's worth the price of admission just for the first half. At least when it comes to the core combat mechanics, Devil May Cry is god tier as far as I'm concerned and the genre is underrepresented on PC. Well, there's always Garshap...

I'm told you'll get better performance emulating the PS2 version than you will with identical hardware on the PC version. Also graphics (i.e. resolution) are (is) worse and there are a slew of controller-recognition and slowdown issues as well. DMC4 however: that is hands down the best "console port" in the history of forever; optimisations up the arse.

Yuck. Thanks for clarifying.

It's a terrible port, but the a few textures on the PC version are better than the PS2 version.

Negatives off the top of my head:
- Random framerate drops; usually in boss fights or in biggers areas. I've had two PCs that would easily run the game beyond max. One PC is stronger, and it produces more consistent framerate. It's akin to Dark Souls where the game just isn't stressing the hardware hard enough so the hardware runs on super slow mode to save power.
- Missing special effects. One is VERY crucial to the gameplay. In DMC3, there are enemies which glow blue, then glow red when they're about to attack. On the PC version there is no glow at all.
- Crappy font. It's the same font on the console but squishied.
- Horrible controller support. There is an INI file you can edit but it only sometimes works.
- Some cutscenes are now pre-rendered in glorious 640x480.

On the upside there are mods to the game, such as custom models, textures and a playable (but glitchy) extra character.

I'd honestly rather just emulate the PS2 version. The PC version is just there for mods, and it's usually just the bigger fans who do that (like me).

nexen

Err... sleeping dogs is $16 on GMG right now. Is that steamworks? Also are there any coupons I can use? Sorry if already answered, thread is monster.

edit: wth? clicking on it on their website takes me to hitman. Searching for it and going there has it at $50. I confused.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Got my first purchase out the way, PoP.

I might have to open an account with GMG. Looks like they aren't playing around.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Err... sleeping dogs is $16 on GMG right now. Is that steamworks? Also are there any coupons I can use? Sorry if already answered, thread is monster.

edit: wth? clicking on it on their website takes me to hitman. Searching for it and going there has it at $50. I confused.

Same problem. Maybe they're just now switching over the deals. GMG janks out a lot.

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record is 50% off and knocked down to $14 after applying the 30% promo. That's the cheapest I've seen the PC version yet...

Manager

Hopefully such a deal is on its way, fantastic price. :) Nothing on their twitter yet.

Same problem. Maybe they're just now switching over the deals. GMG janks out a lot.

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record is 50% off and knocked down to $14 after applying the 30% promo. That's the cheapest I've seen the PC version yet...

I think it was £4.99 on a Flash Deal in the last Steam sale. I'm hoping it'll pop up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom