• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra_Ex

Steam's being kind to my wallet this sale, 3rd day and nothing for me. As others have said, other sites are being more competitive atm and I've no great desire to add too many games to the backlog unless the prices are very tempting.

Mrbob

Is the Dawn of War franchise pack a good deal? It includes all DoW and DoW II (DLCs and expansions)

I own 0 DoW titles.

It's everything DoW1 and DoW2 related.

It's one of the best deals ever seen on Steam. 10 dollars for everything is crazy. Everyone who doesn't own much DoW related should get this. Dawn of War is better than 99 percent of the other franchises out there.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't think the sales are that bad.

Problem is most of us have most of the stuff from the previous winter sales/HiB/recent THQ sales. What else can we look forward to?

New games hitting 50%, or games which never have been 75% hitting 75%. So far not much luck there.

HoosTrax

Is the Dawn of War franchise pack a good deal? It includes all DoW and DoW II (DLCs and expansions)

I own 0 DoW titles.
It's an amazing deal. I bought the physical versions way back in the day, and I've got hundreds of hours in the DoW1 series and around 100 hours in DoW2.

Grief.exe

I thought Dota 2 was F2P?

It is but Valve isn't making it an open beta at this point since they know their servers won't be able to handle it.

Game is honestly open at this point now since players have been getting free passes to hand out for a while now.

so how does this work with GMG Credit or Cash Back?

I either receive $4 back in my GMG account or $6 back?

Why would I not choose the $6

Its the other way around. $6 GMG credit, or $4 cash back.

I would personally choose the credit since I buy from GMG pretty regularly.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If one got the Dawn of War 2 "Gold Edition" or whatever from the THQ Humble Bundle deal, what would one need to have everything?

Would it be cheaper to just buy the bundle?

New games hitting 50%, or games which never have been 75% hitting 75%. So far not much luck there.

That's one problem. Going 75% is probably too far for most game developers for games that have been out for just 1, 2 years. I'd be surprised when any gets so in this sale.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Folks are right about the other sites running sales. I mean, look at the last ten pages of this thread, mostly talking about the Bethesda deal, not on Steam, but on Gamersgate.

But the only reason people were, was due to the pricing error. Otherwise, it would have been mentioned and forgotten. You are right though, the other sites have brought it this time around.

Anyone knows if the Nyu-Media Games will be cheaper in a flash-deal or daily deal?
I want to buy some of those, as well as Cherry Tree High, but do not know if I should wait.

I only need the DoW2 expansion stuff so I was hoping it would be cheaper by itself, but the DoW2 complete pack is $15. >_>

Guess $10 for the expansion stuff isn't bad either.

I've got 8 DOTA keys if anyone wants them, in exchange for advice on whether Dead Island is any good as a singleplayer game, and if the DoW pack is good for someone who doesn't mind but isn't massively into strategy games but loves RPG (I've heard 2 is a mix of the two). Or, you know, if you just want one.

Wok

But the only reason people were, was due to the pricing error. Otherwise, it would have been mentioned and forgotten. You are right though, the other sites have brought it this time around.

Wait for the deal for Sleeping Dogs. I doubt the discount would be 90%.

Mrbob

How are the Dawn of War games? Are they easy to get into if you don't play rts games?

Dawn of War 1 is more Starcraft style RTS. Dawn of War 2 and the expansions are a different beast. It's more Diablo like, a merger of a RTS and Diablo. It's about choosing smaller squads and bringing them into battle to clear out maps. You get loot drops as well to improve your trips. If you have a friend you can play online co op. I finished DoW2 and both expansions with a friend, so much fun.

If one got the Dawn of War 2 "Gold Edition" or whatever from the THQ Humble Bundle deal, what would one need to have everything?

Would it be cheaper to just buy the bundle?

No, since the THQ Humble Bundle only included Dawn of War 1 Game of the Year Edition: you're still missing three expansion packs for that game and all three parts of Dawn of War 2.

mannerbot

Want to buy X-Com for a friend for Christmas, but would prefer not to pay $33+ for it.

It likely to appear as a daily deal?

It would be a real bad look for it to be cheaper as a daily deal in the same sale just a few days after the flash sale. Check other retailers.

kami_sama

A simple guide for the sales. All times in GMT:
4 AM - Flash and Vote Deals
10 AM - Flash Deals
4 PM - Flash and Vote Deals
6 PM - Daily Deals
10 PM - Flash Deals

dani_dc

I think the most disappointing thing isn't even that Amazon and GMG are beating Steam.

It's that the majoirty of deals are simply repeats of the Autumn/summer ones, and in some cases not even as good (Train Simulator was 90% off if I recall).

The fact that we're getting less daily deals compared with Summer sale doesn't help either.

1-D_FTW

I know there's still two weeks, but Valve should at least include one game most people would want to buy.

Honestly, that seems to be reserved for the flash sales. Ever since they switched to this unappealing format, the dailies have just been rewarmed leftovers for newbies without a library.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey guyse. Don't forget: It's a THQ game and THQ is pretty much fucked.

Not only you'd be getting a good game, but you'd be helping, somewhat, THQ.

That's the thing that's making me think about it.

GlassBox

Banned
Jeez, only 33% off of XCOM, even though it's been widely publicized as cheaper on other sites? WTF Steam?

I wonder if they'll make it a daily? I know it'll look bad to be discounted even cheaper than a flash, but with some of the decisions Steam has been making lately, I wouldn't put it past them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom