• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

I got 45,000 experience on the nose. Precisely the amount needed to get the Super Cod! Getting the crew members (i.e., my plan) set up now. Will take it for a test drive to see if this will work the way I think it will.

Fandangox

This was more fun than I expected, I may even get full version.

How do crews work and stuff? I only played 2 multiplayer matches, so don't know how much of the customization work.

mihon

How do crews work and stuff? I only played 2 multiplayer matches, so don't know how much of the customization work.

First you must collect them in multiplayer matches or single player missions. Some crew appear only in multiplayer, others only in singleplayer. Their appeareance is random and they show up in the sonar as purple dots.

Crew members generally improve one of your sub stats by one, but some have unique abilities, such as allowing you to see allies on your map or listening for the enemy's team morse chat.

Fandangox

First you must collect them in multiplayer matches or single player missions. Some crew appear only in multiplayer, others only in singleplayer. Their appeareance is random and they show up in the sonar as purple dots.

Crew members generally improve one of your sub stats by one, but some have unique abilities, such as allowing you to see allies on your map or listening for the enemy's team morse chat.

That's pretty good! Has anyone gotten the Premium version, how good is the single player? I think this is a game I would mostly use multiplayer on, so I don't know if the premium would make any difference there.

Also just a side note, but I love that they put Morse code in the game.

I am pleased to report that I have a working strategy with the Super Cod! Here's my crew combination:

Health +1
Turn Rate +1
Reload time -1 (that is, faster reload time)
See allies on map

My strategy, which was my "plan" earlier, is thus: The 10 health, naturally, is to make me a tank of a submarine. I see allies on the map so I know where to head at the match's start in order to get support. I am counting on enemies shooting at me while leaving my team members alone so that my team members can attack the enemy submarine engaging me, so that we have two sets of mobile torpedo platforms shooting at the same target to eliminate it twice as quickly. The faster reload and turn rates are what I use if that doesn't turn out to be the case: if a submarine tries to pass me by, I keep my distance so that my turn rate of 3 can still allow me to shoot at its sides and rear as it tries to get to an ally of mine. Here, the increased health is useful if that enemy has support, so that I can focus on eliminating a submarine heading for my allies while an enemy sub that might be behind me, supporting the sub that I'm shooting at, won't kill me in the process so that I can turn back and return fire at it once the other submarine is finished.

The reduced reload time increases my DPM to exterminate enemies faster, because even though my health pool is big, I still want to take as few unnecessary hits as possible!

This defense>offense>mobility strategy has led me to perform the finishing blow in the majority of my matches in this thing so far, and I have yet to be destroyed in it.

Crews can adjust the stats of your submarine, as seen above, or give your sub unusual attributes, such as repairing on the surface or being able to listen in on enemy Morse code communications You will pick up crew members during gameplay, either online (via traveling to them on the surface, heading for what shows up on your sonar as a purple dot) or in single-player (you can find where to pick up crew members you don't have by reading their "Last Known Position" description when you highlight them in the crew menu). The camouflage patterns are purely aesthetic.

That's pretty good! Has anyone gotten the Premium version, how good is the single player? I think this is a game I would mostly use multiplayer on, so I don't know if the premium would make any difference there.

The single-player gives you five more missions than the single player's two, so you can get additional crew members that trade off in one area in favor of another. This is the only way to get more than +1 in any given stat via crew members.

Speaking of more than +1 in certain stats, the premium version lets you use the specialized subs in the game, including the Super Cod I'm talking about.

Camjo-Z

I am pleased to report that I have a working strategy with the Super Cod!

Wow, I wasn't able to use that thing at all! I eagerly await your cunning battle strateg-

My strategy, which was my "plan" earlier, is thus... I am counting on enemies shooting at me while leaving my team members alone so that my team members can attack the enemy submarine engaging me.

lol

Well I hope it's working for you. All my teammates ever do is spam "EEEEEEEE" in the pre-game chat and get killed within the first 60 seconds of the match!

Wow, I wasn't able to use that thing at all! I eagerly await your cunning battle strateg-

lol

Well I hope it's working for you. All my teammates ever do is spam "EEEEEEEE" in the pre-game chat and get killed within the first 60 seconds of the match!

That's why I find my teammates early into the match: if they start taking fire, I have a reload that's fast enough to deal serious damage to the enemy! Even when my teammates largely end up dying, I've been able to take on two or three enemies on my own and win, because I use opportunities where one sub isn't pointing at me to finish it off, and then use the faster turn rate to start fighting the next person.

But yes, the Super Cod generally fits the role that the World of Tanks community calls "bullet sponge". Its combat role involves drawing fire away from its more vulnerable allies, so it can work either as a well-supported spearhead attack leader (the kind of vehicle that should charge through the Hot Springs holes first) or, in campier games, a chokepoint enforcer, stalling opponents who know about its massive health pool and giving them little desire to advance, even if their other flank is getting murdered.

mihon

The Islands map really grew on me. People underestimate it, but it's actually the level that would most resemble submarine combat in real life. It's the only level with enough vertical space where you can go way down and reach a 500 value on the depth meter.

In other news, I managed to reach lvl 40. Just one to go to get all subs. Currently using the Silver Pike sub, and it's awesome.

Hale-XF11

So this game is pretty cool! Easy to play and get into. I've only played 3 matches so far and it's been simple fun.

This right here is what separates Nintendo from all the rest. You can figure out their games within a minute of trying them out and the simplicity doesn't necessarily mean a lack of depth. In fact, this game in particular is fairly deep for as simple as it is.

It's so hard not to make puns in this thread.

Zarovitch

Last night i discover that the support ships repair our submarines when we are close.
One of the enemies was hidding so i got time to be full repair before find him and destroy his submarine.

mihon

Last night i discover that the support ships repair our submarines when we are close.
One of the enemies was hidding so i got time to be full repair before find him and destroy his submarine.

Yes, and if you use the Mechanic Crew member, you will repair even faster.
Supply ships are also good for earning points, since they take a lot of torpedoes to go down.

Zarovitch

Yes, and if you use the Mechanic Crew member, you will repair even faster.
Supply ships are also good for earning points, since they take a lot of torpedoes to go down.

Is the supply ships have different color? Cause i shoot at one and it's write it was an ally.

mihon

Is the supply ships have different color? Cause i shoot at one and it's write it was an ally.

Yes, each team has a supply ship of corresponding color. If you are on blue and shoot the red supply ship, it will register as an enemy hit and you will gain points.

Zarovitch

Yes, each team has a supply ship of corresponding color. If you are on blue and shoot the red supply ship, it will register as an enemy hit and you will gain points.

I'll look better but i've not seen the color of the ships. Enemies are easy to spot cause of their names in colors.

doowrah

This game very quickly became my new daily-play obsession.

Also I might now be proficient at morse code as a side effect...

mihon

I finally made it GAF:

zlCfzRjaSHYFlOH_V1

Insteresting is that I still have to unlock the last paint pattern. I wonder what it is.

mihon

Whoa!! What are your stats with your crew members?

Torpedoes: 10
Reload: 8 seconds
Range: Long
Turn Rate: 5
Surfaced Spd: 6
Submerged Spd: 7
Health: 8
Dive/Surface: 6

My favorite sub in the game easily, since I prefer the ones with long range torpedoes. Its weakness is the reload time. 8 seconds can feel like an eternity in this game.

Neiteio

Torpedoes: 10
Reload: 8 seconds
Range: Long
Turn Rate: 5
Surfaced Spd: 6
Submerged Spd: 7
Health: 8
Dive/Surface: 6

My favorite sub in the game easily, since I prefer the ones with long range torpedoes. Its weakness is the reload time. 8 seconds can feel like an eternity in this game.
Yeah, I prefer long-range torpedoes, as well. Sounds like an amazing sub, and that long reload time might not be so bad if you can keep your distance and aim your shots well. :)

mihon

Yeah, I prefer long-range torpedoes, as well. Sounds like an amazing sub, and that long reload time might not be so bad if you can keep your distance and aim your shots well. :)

Yeah, 10 long range torpedoes is plenty of firepower to kill anything without needing to reload.

I want to have some data on how successful this game is selling for Nintendo. I would love to have continued support and more stuff via DLC. Imagine Nintendo themed subs... I would buy that :).

EDIT: I've been told that if you type AMMO via morse code in the single player missions, a plane will drop a homing torpedo ammo box. OP should be updated with this tip.

Neiteio

Yeah, 10 long range torpedoes is plenty of firepower to kill anything without needing to reload.

I want to have some data on how successful this game is selling for Nintendo. I would love to have continued support and more stuff via DLC. Imagine Nintendo themed subs... I would buy that :).
Nintendo-themed subs! I'll take Baron K. Roolenstein's lava submarine "Knautilus" from DKC3, please!

mihon

Nintendo-themed subs! I'll take Baron K. Roolenstein's lava submarine "Knautilus" from DKC3, please!

Seriously, this one below is a no-brainer:

BlueMarine3D.jpg

Blue Marine from Star Fox 64. Includes Peppy Hare Crew member.

Peppy's Ability:

Allows your sub to do a barrel roll. Barrel roll reflects incoming torpedoes but uses 2 stocks of Air.

Having the interest in the RMS Titanic that I do, I sometimes send CQD messages in place of or alongside SOS messages. Unfortunately, it seems too few people know of CQD (the standard distress code before SOS, with "CQ" meaning "all channels" and "D" being short for "distress"; it was changed to SOS because ... --- ... is easier to remember and interpret on the fly than -.-. --.- -..) for most people to realize that it's a distress signal.

Neiteio

Seriously, this one below is a no-brainer:

BlueMarine3D.jpg

Blue Marine from Star Fox 64. Includes Peppy Hare Crew member.

Peppy's Ability:

Allows your sub to do a barrel roll. Barrel roll reflects incoming torpedoes but uses 2 stocks of Air.
This would be amazing. And to add to your idea for a Peppy Hare crew member -- the classic "Do a barrel roll!" sound clip when you spin your sub to deflect torpedoes (at the cost of some oxygen, as you suggested).

Today, while taking a look at which of the stylized historical subs have long ranges, I discovered something else interesting instead: the German Type VII U-boat has a reload time of 4 seconds with three crew members, instead of the Crustacea's 5 seconds.

Naturally, I bought the thing and did the ol' triple Gunslinger setup! Behold!

zlCfzRjfGZQUar7tMJ

This thing reloads so fast that there's about a second or less worth of dead zone between the thing finishing its reload and when I am actually allowed to fire again. I have to wait until the voice clip finishes telling me that the torpedoes are reloaded before I can fire them! Still nice to have a vessel with fewer torpedoes than the 10-torpedo Crustacea when my reload is as fast if not faster than the intra-reload firings!

I continue to be the senile scientist of Steel Diver: Sub Wars.

mihon

Today, while taking a look at which of the stylized historical subs have long ranges, I discovered something else interesting instead: the German Type VII U-boat has a reload time of 4 seconds with three crew members, instead of the Crustacea's 5 seconds.

Naturally, I bought the thing and did the ol' triple Gunslinger setup! Behold!

zlCfzRjfGZQUar7tMJ

This thing reloads so fast that there's about a second or less worth of dead zone between the thing finishing its reload and when I am actually allowed to fire again. I have to wait until the voice clip finishes telling me that the torpedoes are reloaded before I can fire them! Still nice to have a vessel with fewer torpedoes than the 10-torpedo Crustacea when my reload is as fast if not faster than the intra-reload firings!

I continue to be the senile scientist of Steel Diver: Sub Wars.

This is great. Love seeing extreme "builds" like that! If I was a fan of the short range subs, I would definitely try that.

Had too much fun playing this game, especially with the online battles.

Even had a laugh with just one opponent, during a really quiet moment. We were both firing torpedos head on and I was reversing, then next thing I know I see the Replay and my opponent had crashed into the reef, blowing themselves up.

mihon

Do you use the periscope? I never think that i need it.

Yes, the more I play the more I use it.

First, the periscope is faster for checking your surroundings than turning the sub. It can also be used for sniping distant enemies using the zoom feature.

Zarovitch

Yes, the more I play the more I use it.

First, the periscope is faster for checking your surroundings than turning the sub. It can also be used for sniping distant enemies using the zoom feature.

I never think about that, thanks.
My games will never been the same at the start :)

mihon

Unlocked the last camo pattern and it's interesting to say the least. I must confess I felt a bit trolled considering it's the last pattern.

It's a cut flower pattern

AdanVC

I downloaded this yesterday but I haven't played it yet. Reading your impressions makes me excited to try it out tonight!

Finally got around to trying the game last night. This game has to have the most retarded online userbase I've ever experienced. I don't think any of them understood the concept of friendly fire.

Chunky

Finally got around to trying the game last night. This game has to have the most retarded online userbase I've ever experienced. I don't think any of them understood the concept of friendly fire.
It's not so much that for me, but the constant spam of "e" in the chat. I'm always saying things like 'PLEASE STOP' and 'WHY' but it just seems to make the e's come quicker :(

Were you playing skill matched? I usually only get that from level 1-3 players, so if you were getting matched up with a bunch of those...

mihon

It seems that a server maintenance happened a while ago.

Since then I've been getting way less connection errors during matchmaking. Anyone else experiencing this?

We already directly know that the CEO of Vitei at least knows that the other Steel Diver: Sub Wars thread exists. So yeah, we could very easily be getting watched by the developers and higher-ups of this game! Time to break out some appropriate music.

Well, on the off chance they're actively watching then...some more Nintendo subs I hope they'll consider, even if they would be rather silly to see on the battlefield.

Yoshi Submarine Form
Marine Pop, the submarine from Super Mario Land
Bowser's Sub, from Mario 64
Captain Wario's Submarine, from Wario: Master of Disguise
Team Rocket's Magikarp Submarine
Team Rocket's Gyarados Submarine
Team Rocket's Basculin Submarine

It seems that a server maintenance happened a while ago.

Since then I've been getting way less connection errors during matchmaking. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm certainly getting a lot less of them than I was before. Did get my first in-match disconnect today though.

I've started playing this for like 5 to 10 rounds nightly. It's a good way to wind down before bed.

I still want the original Steel Diver on the eShop though. What's up, NOA?

When you think about it, for being a Japanese game (having been developed by Vitei and Nintendo EAD Group 5), this is seems a lot more like a game that would be developed in the west. There aren't very many Japanese FPS games these days.

Shiggy

The online mode is incredible. It's such a great concept and the controls (with CC Pro) just feel so great. After the last few titles from Vitei, I didn't have high expectations; that's probably why this title is such a surprise.

Top Bottom