• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Rated M for MADDO SCIENTISTO

daveo42

Banned
Some of the names Okabe has for people he doesn't know yet is fantastic, like
Moeka Kiryū being listed as "Lady Ignoring Me and Apparently Sightseeing in Akihabara".

Man I am loving this so far. Brings back such good memories of the show.

I guess my copy from Rightstuf still hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully I'll have it before the end of the week...

It appears that the shipment didn't arrive today as expected, as I too do not see a change in my order status. I have no idea when JastUSA actually shipped the orders to Right Stuf last week, but apparently that wasn't early enough to get the shipment by street date. Hopefully comes in tomorrow so I can start playing on Thursday.

McBryBry

I just finished the show and movie tonight. Damn, I can definitely say it's one of the best I've ever seen. Just makes me sad that it's over, I want more! I'll probably pick up the game soon.

Garteal

Hey StayDead

Are you still sad I waited for the game before watching all the anime? (I watched like 3 episodes xD)
I think watching the anime first and playing the game after is the better order as you'll have a great experience at first and an even better, more detailed experience after.

I just finished the show and movie tonight. Damn, I can definitely say it's one of the best I've ever seen. Just makes me sad that it's over, I want more! I'll probably pick up the game soon.
There's still manga and books you can read if you're interested in the universe. There are also games released for the consoles. Check out the Steins;Gate OT.

.... still waiting for a Steam or local (probably never) release myself before I can hop aboard.

Zafir

Is Jast still shipping copies then? I preordered when it first came up but didn't get a word about my copy dispatching. Only got an email containing my digital key.

I think watching the anime first and playing the game after is the better order as you'll have a great experience at first and an even better, more detailed experience after.

I've heard both arguments in full and greater detail before. There doesn't seem to be a wrong way. I appreciate the input though.

Garteal

I've heard both arguments in full and greater detail before. There doesn't seem to be a wrong way. I appreciate the input though.
It all ultimately boils down to the same thing anyway. There's no wrong way and you're free to go through them in whatever order ofcourse.

There's no reason to watch the anime if you have the VN. It's not like White Fox did a particularly good job with the visuals, it's an adaptation that succeeds only because of the strength of its source material.

Is Jast still shipping copies then? I preordered when it first came up but didn't get a word about my copy dispatching. Only got an email containing my digital key.

Same here, but at least we got the digital code emailed to us and not included in the LE box.

Ronok

I just ordered the download version from J-list... Is it normal for them to take a while to email the code to me?

upandaway

There's no reason to watch the anime if you have the VN. It's not like White Fox did a particularly good job with the visuals, it's an adaptation that succeeds only because of the strength of its source material.
Well the fact it's light on the explanations and skips the heavy technicalities means that it makes a good re-experience for those that played the VN a while ago, and there's the OVA and movie as a bonus afterwards. But the VN is definitely objectively better for those that don't have a problem against VNs as a medium.

flowsnake

There were various little technical things that annoyed me about the VN when I tried it, and the beginning of the story wasn't interesting enough to justify the detail.

The anime trimmed the fat enough that I could somewhat enjoy the first half before it becomes crazy.

It also has the most enjoyable dub I can remember.

I wouldn't say I have a problem with VNs as a medium any more than books, but in practice they often feel bloated to me.

I might end up trying this again, especially if they start selling it at a wider range of sites.

upandaway

There were various little technical things that annoyed me about the VN when I tried it, and the beginning of the story wasn't interesting enough to justify the detail.

The anime trimmed the fat enough that I could somewhat enjoy the first half before it becomes crazy.

It also has the most enjoyable dub I can remember.

I wouldn't say I have a problem with VNs as a medium any more than books, but in practice they often feel bloated to me.
The thoroughness of VNs is what I meant. They often go above and beyond in terms of detail, far more than books. I felt like the science explanations in S;G were an amazing part of the story, but the anime's there for people that don't have affinity with reading science explanations, it just feels like bloat to you.

I should also say the VN also has the multiple endings and scenes cut from the anime that have nothing to do with the bloat you're talking about, they're just more good content.

aravuus

Unless you like to watch things rather than read about them, like I generally do. I admit I'm having incredibly hard time with the S;G VN after watching the anime. Some day I'll finish it.

On the other hand, half of the greatness about reading is the fact that you can use your imagination a lot (even if a bit less than normal with VNs), an aspect completely ruined if you read after watching the anime adaptation.

StayDead

The thoroughness of VNs is what I meant. They often go above and beyond in terms of detail, far more than books. I felt like the science explanations in S;G were an amazing part of the story, but the anime's there for people that don't have affinity with reading science explanations, it just feels like bloat to you.

I should also say the VN also has the multiple endings and scenes cut from the anime that have nothing to do with the bloat you're talking about, they're just more good content.

From when I played it/replayed it my favourite bits from the VN are the bits where you get to read John Titors @ch posts. It's details like that that makes me love VNs so much.

On the other hand, half of the greatness about reading is the fact that you can use your imagination a lot (even if a bit less than normal with VNs), an aspect completely ruined if you read after watching the anime adaptation.

I watched the anime before playing the game and I never had that problem. Especiallly since there's so much stuff the anime never shows.

Soulhouf

Played the PS3 version last year and loved it.
I won't play it again but I will probably get the English PC version to support such beautiful initiative.
The only issue I have is the platform. It would be nice if they localized the console version. Oh well...

aravuus

I watched the anime before playing the game and I never had that problem. Especiallly since there's so much stuff the anime never shows.

I'm sure some people have no problem with it, it's just not that way for me. For example, I can't read the LoTR or Harry Potter books at all anymore either, and the first HP movie was even kind of a shock when I had imagined Hogwarts and everything so differently.

Unless you like to watch things rather than read about them, like I generally do. I admit I'm having incredibly hard time with the S;G VN after watching the anime. Some day I'll finish it.

My feelings mostly come from White Fox making a pretty ugly show, not inherently about which medium is better.

LiK

I contacted Jlist and it seems they're sending them out a few hundred copies at a time. Guess it'll take a while before mine is shipped out. At least I have the digital copy already.

daveo42

Banned

Yeah, I actually liked the depth they went into with the different time travel theories early on and felt it helped grow the story a bit. The same goes with Titor's posts on @ch and the group's website dealing with their current inventions. All of the additional details are very much welcome.

As my first foray in to VNs, I'm liking it a bunch, but I'm definitely going to need a story guide for any subsequent playthroughs. First one is completely blind.

Volcynika

I contacted Jlist and it seems they're sending them out a few hundred copies at a time. Guess it'll take a while before mine is shipped out. At least I have the digital copy already.

Mine's in San Jose currently. USPS pls. Odd how mine shipped before your's, as I pre-ordered just this past Friday.

LiK

Mine's in San Jose currently. USPS pls. Odd how mine shipped before your's, as I pre-ordered just this past Friday.

Really? I preordered in Dec. That blows. Guess they don't ship them out by order number. Maybe they just ship whatever is in front of them after the mailing label has been printed out. Now I'm a bit more disappointed with them.

Volcynika

Really? I preordered in Dec. That blows. Guess they don't ship them out by order number. Maybe they just ship whatever is in front of them after the mailing label has been printed out. Now I'm a bit more disappointed with them.

Doh I misread, I was looking at a completely different order from a different company. My bad :x

bigkrev

Ordered the digital version from J-list, because it wasn't listed as a pre-order. If I don't get it in 24 hours i'll cancel it

bobawesome

Heh...I understand the reasons but I think it's funny I'll have an item shipped to me all the way from Japan before I get this.

_Ryo_

I have a question, but I don't know if it pertains to this thread. But it is Steins;Gate game related. Not sure if JAST related though.

On the Android Playstore it says that Steins;Gate is free. Does that mean the downloader is free or the game is free? Size is 1GB+

I plan on getting this on PC too, just curious.

I have a question, but I don't know if it pertains to this thread. But it is Steins;Gate game related. Not sure if JAST related though.

On the Android Playstore it says that Steins;Gate is free. Does that mean the downloader is free or the game is free? Size is 1GB+

I think it's like the iPhone. Probably a "lite" version of the VN.

It's pretty much a free demo with an in-app purchase for the rest of the game. It's only in Japanese, though.

Yasumi

Banned
Totally lost track of time and played for 7 and a half hours. My evening just disappeared. Could this sense of time loss be the organization's doing? Gaiz I'm scared.

Danj

Apparently my physical LE is at ISC LOS ANGELES CA according to USPS. They even have a scheduled delivery date listed (how does that work? How can USPS know when Royal Fail, or whoever their courier is in the UK, will deliver it?).

iavi

I reaaaaaally wish this game had official controller support.

That said: playing it from the comfy couch using a DS4 w/touchpad mouse emulation actually works perfectly... aside from the right-click which makes using the phone hell.

daveo42

Banned
Haven't seen official news from J-List, but LE should be shipping now. Copies should start arriving by the end of the week. Mine was shipped this morning by USPS.

So, does anyone have any idea on why my cursor move on its own after a while I play?
For example I can't change the settings because as soon as I point to one of the "on/off" it starts moving through all of them, I can't even close the game as it keeps moving between "Yes" and "No".

Aside from that, the game looks awesome, can't wait to play more of it.

Top Bottom