• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Gallbaro

Banned
gkrykewy said:
And this is staggeringly different from yesterday's close of 751....?

Well yes, 750 like most resistance levels are at first delays, preventing true price to be achieved. Then they become self full filling prophecies and a huge drop follows as true market price is reached again..

gkryhewy

Gallbaro said:
Well yes, 750 like most resistance levels are at first delays, preventing true price to be achieved. Then they become self full filling prophecies and a huge drop follows as true market price is reached again..

I suppose, if you're a goofy voodoo technicals trader.

Gallbaro

Banned
gkrykewy said:
I suppose, if you're a goofy voodoo technicals trader.

The vast majority of wall st. are goofy voodoo technical traders and their automated systems as well. So even if you think it is BS you still have to play the game as equity pricing is nothing more than supply and demand.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gallbaro said:
The vast majority of wall st. are goofy voodoo technical traders and their automated systems as well. So even if you think it is BS you still have to play the game as equity pricing is nothing more than supply and demand.

Exactly.

I sell because I think you will. You sell because you think I will:p

Gallbaro

Banned
http://www.cnbc.com/id/29461347

S stock index futures extended losses ahead of the open Monday as American International Group reported a $61.7 billion quarterly net loss, after the government was forced to extend billions in fresh capital into the insurance giant for the third time.

The $30 billion bailout provided a stark reminder that some of America’s biggest corporations are still in a critical condition.

Giddy up DXD, lets ride into the fire.

~Kinggi~

Banned
woo-hoo look at that sucker DROP BABY!!!!!

will it turn around at the end of the day or are we looking for an even more rapid selloff?

this shit's depressing

I've decided to focus more on dividend plays, today i bought into MO and increased my position in NLY with some dead money i had in other mutual funds. MO has a 8+% div yield, NLY has a 14+%. Both div's are relatively safe imo, with NLY being the bigger risk because it's a REIT. I picked to truly awful mutual funds though, so this is a much better alternative.

Tarazet

Now is the test of your stomach. If you can handle this, you can handle anything.

Personally, my portfolio looks like this:

20% FEDBX, safe and boring mutual fund
20% VVVAZ, Jan 2011 calls on AMD (2.50 strike)
15% WFOAZ, Jan 2010 calls on F (2.50 strike)
40% VNQ (REIT ETF)
5% STEM (common stock)

Not a single day-trader position in it, and all long positions. There is quite a bit of risk, but it is carefully calculated and moderated and is more likely than not to come out in the wash.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't have the details (don't feel like loging in my account) but I have:

ATVI
CGT
BHI
HON
STP

I think something like 45% in CGT, followed by ATVI and BHI, then HON then STP.

I remeber when we were at around 7600 to 8000, Roubini and others were saying we'd probably get another 15% to 20% drop. To the low 6000s is likely IMO, but like I said before I am 100% pessimistic as long as the trade deficit with China is not adressed. Until they tackle that, the US economy will never manage to truly turn around. It might rally but nothing that would last more than two or three years.

EDIT: Also:

Pension bombs going off

Exploding pension fund shortfalls are blowing billion-dollar holes in the balance sheets of some of the Chicago area's biggest companies, forcing them to make huge contributions to retirement plans at a time when cash flow and credit are already under stress.

Boeing Co.'s shareholder equity is now $1.2 billion in the hole thanks to an $8.4-billion gap between its pension assets and the projected cost of its obligations for 2008. At the end of 2007, Boeing had a $4.7-billion pension surplus. If its investments don't turn around, the Chicago-based aerospace giant will have to quadruple annual contributions to its plan to about $2 billion by 2011.

Stock market losses also pounded pension funds at Abbott Laboratories Inc., Caterpillar Inc. and Exelon Corp., with others sure to emerge as companies file their annual financial reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission in coming weeks.

The pension gaps underscore a growing conundrum. Unfunded pension liabilities have to be subtracted from shareholder equity, weakening balance sheets at a time when it's already tough to borrow money. Barring a reprieve from Congress, companies may be forced to make more layoffs or curb capital investments to divert cash to shore up pensions....

The Chicago companies are symptomatic of nationwide woes. Last year, the 100 largest corporate pension funds in the U.S. saw their net assets decline by 21%, while liabilities increased 1.2%. Applying those averages to any of the region's top funds puts almost all of them into the red by at least $1 billion....

WingM@n

Ether_Snake said:
I remeber when we were at around 7600 to 8000, Roubini and others were saying we'd probably get another 15% to 20% drop. To the low 6000s is likely IMO
IMO It will be in the low 6000s by the end of april. If there is a sudden panic in the world markets, then we may see that happening even this month.

Gallbaro

Banned
Anyone have their post crap hole portfolio in mind.

Typically financials are the horse to bet on afterwords but I am so confused as to the future of mega banks that I doubt the same would be true here.

The only one I can fathom is to try and take advantage of delayed effect of the stimulus, and go infrastructure 2.0 and China.

Ovid

American Express Co., after outclassing its rivals for the past 50 years, is looking uncomfortably like just another credit-card company.

AmEx is reeling from late payments and defaults by customers it aggressively wooed before the U.S. economy tumbled into recession. Its sterling reputation for customer service is under attack from longtime clients. Even cardholders with plenty of money are putting away their plastic, pushing shares of the New York company to a 12-year low.

"If we had known this was coming, we would have ratcheted back some of our investment and put tighter guardrails on our credit decisions," says Alfred ...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123595172956305055.html

I swear, ever single company in the financial sector has let greed ruin their companies. I like how after the fact they realize that what they were doing was bad for their business.

WingM@n said:
IMO It will be in the low 6000s by the end of april. If there is a sudden panic in the world markets, then we may see that happening even this month.

Down 275 with a little over half an hour left. We might hit low 6000s by the end of this week if we keep this up.

xero273

ALeperMessiah said:
Down 275 with a little over half an hour left. We might hit low 6000s by the end of this week if we keep this up.

Shouldn't we be more worried about the S&P? I read a couple posts in this thread saying that the S&P is a better indicator of the economy

xero273 said:
Shouldn't we be more worried about the S&P? I read a couple posts in this thread saying that the S&P is a better indicator of the economy

It is a better indicator, and it's close to 700, which i think is a major technical level of resistance for it. I know 741 was important, and that's been destroyed. I hope we can hold on 700, but it's going to be tough imo.

Pimpwerx

Who was the first one who said that below 7500 there is no bottom? I'd like to reward you with some worthless stock you Chicken Little. :p ;) :(

One thing can be said, we are living in some very interesting times indeed. I'm just gonna try and savor it at best I can. I'm gonna keep buying, and with some luck, the market bounces back and I get rich on the misery of many. PEACE.

Javaman

Pimpwerx said:
One thing can be said, we are living in some very interesting times indeed. I'm just gonna try and savor it at best I can. I'm gonna keep buying, and with some luck, the market bounces back and I get rich on the misery of many. PEACE.

Same here. I think I'm going to bump my 401k up to 16% next week. As sucky as the last couple of months/year has been, it feel like the market is wayyy oversold. Have we really failed to progress from the past 10 years? It doesn't seem likely to me.

Gallbaro

Banned
AstroLad said:
-299.64 eat it bears!

pinchy.jpg

Pimpwerx

Now that it's March, Zecco has changed their policy. You only get 10 free trades each month if you perform 25 or more trades in that month. Pretty lame, eventhough the $4.50 is still cheap for a commission. Is Scottrade a good option to move to now? I'd pay a couple dollars more per trade if things are more responsive than Zecco. IMO, their site is too damn slow and has too many technical problems for them to end their previous promotion.

I was going to wait until later this year to go to Bank of America, but my equity has decided to firmly retreat in the wrong direction, so there's no real benefit to making that move yet. Should I just stick with Zecco until my equity earns me the commission-free trades with Bank of America? PEACE.

iifu

Neo Member
Any thoughts on the theory that we've been in a secular bear market since 2000 and that 2003-2007 was actually just a bear market rally?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Come on, I want to see this under 6000. I am making so much money with shorts that it's cruel :lol

GOOG, X, RIG... and some others. Thank you.

Damn. I'm starting to worry that some of these stocks will never recover to what they were last year. My college fund stock has dropped over 60% in the past year. Yeah my parents were stupid and invested all my college fund in one stock :(

Oh well, its only a loss of $20,000. I can make that up in a few years work. Oh fuck they're aren't any jobs. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
perfectchaos007 said:
Damn. I'm starting to worry that some of these stocks will never recover to what they were last year. My college fund stock has dropped over 60% in the past year. Yeah my parents were stupid and invested all my college fund in one stock :(

Oh well, its only a loss of $20,000. I can make that up in a few years work. Oh fuck they're aren't any jobs. FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

My answer to there being no jobs at all:

Make your own, and along the way make some for others. =)

Relix said:
My answer to there being no jobs at all:

Make your own, and along the way make some for others. =)

I talked to some Ron Paul supporters who want to make their own community with their own currency (silver/Gold) and their own trade system. That seems too crazy right now but if our money does become worthless and no jobs are available then we may have to just all "start over"

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
perfectchaos007 said:
I talked to some Ron Paul supporters who want to make their own community with their own currency (silver/Gold) and their own trade system. That seems too crazy right now but if our money does become worthless and no jobs are available then we may have to just all "start over"

Bison dollars?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My 401K (Canadian equivalent) performed 17.90% in 2008 (19% annualized)! Go figure how that happened! I was expecting to go in the negatives. In 2007 it performed 1.76%:p I didn't change anything.

I sure wish I had contributed MORE:p In fact I probably will now that the indexes are so low.

Do you guys think I should move the money I've made so far in a safe account? I'm not vary savvy as far as 401Ks work. I'm thinking I should transfer the money away, and continue to contribute to it, but basically as such I will have at least saved my current monies before they tank (if they do)? Then again since we are probably closer to a bottom now, I'd think it would be fine to keep it there?

The thing is I'm puzzled as to why it would have performed 1.76% in 2007 when we had a good year, and 19% in 2008 as the stocks went south!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Javaman said:
Same here. I think I'm going to bump my 401k up to 16% next week. As sucky as the last couple of months/year has been, it feel like the market is wayyy oversold. Have we really failed to progress from the past 10 years? It doesn't seem likely to me.

Sorry but it's sadly more nasty than this. What you invest in is almost entirely related to how well the US is doing. Right now the debt is growing without merit because money is being burned on bad banks, while the true root cause of the crisis (falling purchasing power in parallel to outsourcing, which was only hidden under a blanket of credit) is not being addressed. It could take a long time before the people in Washington and Wall Street admit that they fucked up and didn't commit themselves to the real problems the way they should have, and by then it might be too late.

It's a whole new world ahead, not a loop.

Progress is made daily. Heck, I visit http://www.physorg.com/ ever day and there are countless breakthroughs revealed every few hours, but for as long as the ILLUSION created by massive allowance of credit is not addressed the economy will not recuperate and the impact of all these breakthroughs will be delayed.

Ultimately, like I said before, what I expect is a "Great Balancing Act", like an "Act of God" but on an economic scale, one that we can only channel but not prevent, between the US and China. Cost of life and purchasing power in the US will fall, cost of life and purchasing power in China will rise, until an equilibrium is reached. As long as the trade between China and the US continues as it has, this is unavoidable IMO, and you can imagine what it implies for our standard of living.

If the trade deficit is seriously addressed, then I will be optimistic about the US again.

kathode

Ether_Snake said:
My 401K (Canadian equivalent) performed 17.90% in 2008 (19% annualized)! Go figure how that happened! I was expecting to go in the negatives. In 2007 it performed 1.76%:p I didn't change anything.

Mine was something like -45% :lol I'm just leaving it in there and continuing contributions to the extent I can afford (not much). Since I won't have real access for another 30 years, it's impossible to predict what the best move is. I'll just leave it in and take on the risk and see where it ends up.

Gallbaro

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:

I can agree with many of the things that Ron Paul says, but dammit gold and silver are just are arbitrary as paper. At least one of the assets the dollar is implicitly backed by today is Oil, a commodity with a tangible value which is mostly derived from consumption.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah gold is has no value, but it is just more stable because it is not used significantly enough for its value to change rapidly, so it makes sense to use it to back a currency to some extent.

If you back the US dollar by oil or another commodity that is tied to the health of the economy/demand, then as soon as demand falls like in the current recession the value of the USD would fall along with it.

Gallbaro

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Yeah gold is has no value, but it is just more stable because it is not used significantly enough for its value to change rapidly, so it makes sense to use it to back a currency to some extent.

If you back the US dollar by oil or another commodity that is tied to the health of the economy/demand, then as soon as demand falls like in the current recession the value of the USD would fall along with it.

So let me refine my claim, the best asset to back currency with is energy? But I do believe that today's solution for currency valuation, what is essentially export deficient or surplus is a better solution that a mostly useless rock.

kathode said:
What's going on with GE this morning? Down 15% or so, and Google doesn't seem to list any important news.

I don't know, might be related to the other thread that talks about how people are buying a lot of june puts that are so far out of the money they're betting on bankruptcy.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
kathode said:
What's going on with GE this morning? Down 15% or so, and Google doesn't seem to list any important news.

Yesterday a whole bunch of out of the money puts were purchased (about 80,000 contracts). The strike was $2.50. Only way they'd pay off is in a BAC/AIG scenario. Today we have reports that sovereign wealth funds are unloading.

Deku Tree

I heard a guy on CNBC say in a very nice way that GE credit is fully loaded with Toxic Waste and all their Executives are lying.

The fact that they cut the dividend when they had been swearing they wouldn't doesn't breed confidence in their honesty.

If their exec's want to breed confidence in the stock they should be willing to buy ALOT more than 50k shares at 8 bucks a pop. That's like toilet paper money for them.

Class action lawsuit too: http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/2207196/

danootz

Does anyone have a good resource for how to invest in 401ks? Fidelity specifically?
I'm talking real layman's terms. Or just advice from people who are avoid deep negatives on personal rates of return. I haven't been contributing for long, but I basically lost all the money my jobs matches me with and it's only 3 months in 2008 and I'm -4 on my Personal Rate of Return.

I think I have a 60% invested in stocks and 40% in bonds. I'm only 24 (25 in april) so I have a ways to go before i need it but if I keep losing all the extra money my company gives me and the dividends from the investments... maybe I'd have been better off putting the money in my high yield savings account (that has a quickly decreasing interest rate :( )

I know it's not as easy as "invest your money here, here and here" but I don't think I can wrap my head around all these terms and such. I'd like it to be simple. Like "These investment choices are stocks, these are bonds, these are mutual funds. It might be a good idea to have a large investment in stocks" or something.

I don't plan on chickening out and decreasing my investments. And I understand roughing it out till things bounce back, but if there's something I could shift investment wise to help the situation...

Deku Tree

Put it in a Money Market Fund.

People will tell you that the problem is that not many people will be able to predict the rebound, just like very few accurately predicted either the downturn or the severity of it. And the few people who did predict the downturn will probably not be among the few people who accurately predict the upturn.

When things come back, they will come back fast and hard and if your not in the market you will miss a big part of the upside. On the other hand, if you are in the market you make keep getting wiped out for a long time... It's a gamble.

YakiSOBA

Question:

I have $3,000 right now and I was going to put it into my RRSP's, but I just got a reply from my banker saying he suggests that if I am not planning on using this money to purchase a home in the next 5 years, that I put it into my existing managed balanced growth portfolio instead, or alternatively lock it back into a GIC account for x amount of years.

Suggestions GAF?

eznark

Banned
Optimism!

http://tinyurl.com/bgedcx

March 4 (Bloomberg) -- Steve Leuthold, whose Grizzly Short Fund returned 74 percent last year betting against U.S. stocks, said now is the time to buy equities because investors are too fearful about the economy.

“These comparisons people make with the Great Depression are totally out of touch with reality, and pretty stupid,” he told Bloomberg Television in an interview today. “We’ve been in much worse, much more panicked and more scary situations in the U.S.”

The economy isn’t as bad as it was in 1974, when stocks began rebounding, said Leuthold, who oversees $3.2 billion at Leuthold Weeden Capital Management in Minneapolis. He predicted the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index will surge to at least 1,000 in 2009, representing a gain of 44 percent from yesterday’s 12-year low of 696.33.

The index rose 2.2 percent to 711.96 at 11:46 a.m. in New York on speculation China will add to a 4 trillion yuan ($585 billion) spending plan and U.S. lawmakers will reach agreement on a plan to stem mortgage defaults.

Because a rally is likely, Leuthold said investors shouldn’t buy his Grizzly Short Fund. It has returned 26 percent in 2009. Short seller Bill Fleckenstein, who warned of the housing bubble in 2005, closed his 13-year-old bear market fund last year because valuations made it “too dangerous” to bet on more losses, he said in a interview last month.

Ovid

kathode said:
I mentioned back on Fed 7th. that GE was on the list of biggest Alt-A lenders. That should have been your cue to short their stock. It is down a little over 40% since that post. U guys should listen to me more often. You would have made alot of money in '09 if you did. :D

Top Bottom