• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Gallbaro

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
I thought green was good. Why do you want the stock market to drop?

Because that is where it should go to reflect economic reality. The stock market reflects the economy, not the other way around.

I am shorting everything

Ovid

tarius1210 said:
I do not recommend financial stocks but I just wanted to let you guys know that JPM is oversold. The stock price should see a bit of a bump this week.

2vadyq0.jpg

So it looks like I was right about J.P. Morgan today, until Buffett opened his stupid trap. It hit a high of $17.29 this morning. We have four more days to see if I was right about JPM. I hate the fact the one guy can dictate the market.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I looked earlier today when it was at its peak to see how it was doing since you said it would go up;)

I'm reading more and more articles finally speaking out and saying prices have been overinflated over years, and that we should not seek to re-inflate them, and also I see a lot more outright saying that China has a protectionist economy.

Let's hope people realize this sooner than later.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
tarius1210 said:
2vadyq0.jpg

So it looks like I was right about J.P. Morgan today, until Buffett opened his stupid trap. It hit a high of $17.29 this morning. We have four more days to see if I was right about JPM. I hate the fact the one guy can dictate the market.

You could throw a dart at a list of stocks and anyone of them would be considered "oversold". A lot of things were up this morning. Just a choppy day. S&P500 changed directions 25 times. Buffett's interview was this morning, didn't really have a whole lot to say about anything or any curdles of wisdom that would impact the market.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oil is starting to go back up as more cuts are planned, but even then BHI has gone lower recently.

And ADSK seemingly heading below 11.

I could see ADSK being bought out in the future. They are a practical monopoly.

RSTEIN

Ether_Snake said:
Oil is starting to go back up as more cuts are planned, but even then BHI has gone lower recently.

And ADSK seemingly heading below 11.

I could see ADSK being bought out in the future. They are a practical monopoly.

I bought some XLE this morning, I have a tight stop tho.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
RSTEIN said:
I bought some XLE this morning, I have a tight stop tho.

Yeah that is probably smarter than buying a stocks from one company when it comes to energy:|

Depends on what you're doing. For daytrading or swingtrading, yeah, sure, XLE would work. But if I'm going long I'd rather own shares of one solid company with a nice dividend. Also, I don't think natural gas will recover quite as well as oil will.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Citi announced they've been operating at a 8 billion profit so far in 2009. Woot! Also looks they'll actually grow in revenue from 1Q last year. Market should get some nice upward momentum on this news.

kathode

RSTEIN said:
oh yeah... forgot about that thing. The novelty wore off :lol

I'm gonna start looking to get back into things this week. I need some ideas! I'm rusty. Good thing I didn't buy those GE shorts three days ago :lol

RSTEIN

kathode said:
I'm gonna start looking to get back into things this week. I need some ideas! I'm rusty. Good thing I didn't buy those GE shorts three days ago :lol

Just went short XLP. Even in this market it can't get any traction.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Gallbaro said:
About 4% today
Not bad, I saw financial short FAZ drop 30% today.

I don't know why, but I went into financial longs yesterday and it payed off nicely today.

Gallbaro

Banned
toxicgonzo said:
Not bad, I saw financial short FAZ drop 30% today.

I don't know why, but I went into financial longs yesterday and it payed off nicely today.

I am actually thinking of doubling down my shorts? Does anyone actually believe this Citi horse shit? I am figuring there is a 75% chance that tomorrow is a profit taking day and when Citi reports they are gonna fall like a brick.

Tarazet

Gallbaro said:
I am actually thinking of doubling down my shorts? Does anyone actually believe this Citi horse shit? I am figuring there is a 75% chance that tomorrow is a profit taking day and when Citi reports they are gonna fall like a brick.

Something tells me that "profit" is because of the TARP money. If it's from their operations, then that's an excellent sign.

Ovid

tarius1210 said:
2vadyq0.jpg

Damn...called it again. JPM up 20% so far. Give credit were credit is due guys. :D

Justin Bailey

------ ------
sonarrat said:
Something tells me that "profit" is because of the TARP money. If it's from their operations, then that's an excellent sign.
It is, their revenue is also up. They can't just take cash from the government and call it income.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Justin Bailey said:
Citi announced they've been operating at a 8 billion profit so far in 2009. Woot! Also looks they'll actually grow in revenue from 1Q last year. Market should get some nice upward momentum on this news.

You mean 8 Billion for the whole 1st quarter?

mckmas8808

sonarrat said:

Sonarrat check this information out about Citi!

Our pro forma tangible common book value would be $3.82 a share assuming maximum preferred conversion ... and the pending conversion is creating a large technical short in our stock that should be lifted once the conversion is completed," Pandit wrote.
Late last month, the bank unveiled a plan with the U.S. government and select institutional holders to convert some of its preferred shares into common stock, boosting the government's direct ownership in what was once the largest U.S. bank to 36%.

Citigroup shares surge more than 25%, guiding battered financials higher after CEO Vikram Pandit says the firm was profitable during the first two months of the year. Bank of America, J.P. Morgan & Chase also gain.The preferred exchange is expected to make Citigroup the strongest-capitalized large U.S. bank as measured by tangible common equity and Tier 1 ratios, Pandit added.

"In January and February alone, our revenues excluding externally disclosed marks, were $19 billion. During 2008, our full quarterly average for these revenues as adjusted was $21 billion," Pandit said in the memo, which was also filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission

Link

So I'm guessing some of it is the bailout money. But also notice that in 2 months their revenues are averaging $9.5 Billion a month in 2009, where as in 2008 it averaged $7 Billion a month.

So yes their business is doing better.

Ovid

huacst21 said:
The stem cell stocks today (STEM, GERN, ACTC, etc) is a classic example of a pump & dump. "Buy on the rumor sell on the news."
The only reason to buy into the stem cell sector right now is for investment into the future growth of the industry. That would mean you would have to take a long position. I would wait until the stock prices drop a bit lower (I will) until purchasing more shares.

Ovid

mckmas8808 said:
What was your point about that "one" guy?
Sorry, quoted the wrong post.

It should have been this one:

tarius1210 said:
I do not recommend financial stocks but I just wanted to let you guys know that JPM is oversold. The stock price should see a bit of a bump this week.

zou

mckmas8808 said:
So I'm guessing some of it is the bailout money. But also notice that in 2 months their revenues are averaging $9.5 Billion a month in 2009, where as in 2008 it averaged $7 Billion a month.

So yes their business is doing better.

You two are mixing things. First part of the quote is about their capital/valuation, while the second part talks about their profit/revenue.

I don't get how you could even think it has anything to do with the loan, not like there's one position that says $35,000,000,000 "uncle sam lol kthxbye".

mckmas8808

zou said:
You two are mixing things. First part of the quote is about their capital/valuation, while the second part talks about their profit/revenue.

I don't get how you could even think it has anything to do with the loan, not like there's one position that says $35,000,000,000 "uncle sam lol kthxbye".

I know it's not talking about the gov't loan. That's what I was saying.

zou

mckmas8808 said:
I know it's not talking about the gov't loan. That's what I was saying.

Ah, took "So I'm guessing some of it is the bailout money." as "part of the profit/revenue".

mckmas8808

zou said:
Ah, took "So I'm guessing some of it is the bailout money." as "part of the profit/revenue".

Oh there I was talking about reasons why the stock could be going up. I was thinking about something else while typing.

I think Citi is an even better buy when reading that once the preferred -> common stock conversion goes through the stock worth will jump almost 200% over night.

To me that seems like something anybody should jump on.

tarius1210 said:
So is reinstating the uptick rule a good thing or a bad thing? I don't short stocks so I don't know.

A good thing if you took long positions in stocks. The uptick rule was established 5 years after the 1929 stock crash. You can short a stock only if the last sale price was higher than the previous price.

When the SEC eliminated the rule in 2007, IMO, it increased the volatility of the market we see today.

As of now you can short a stock at any price. A stock that was trading in the 20s, 30s, 40s, etc. can be shorted to death and be trading for pennies on the pink sheets.

Tarazet

Anyone who bought into the VNQ REIT like I suggested is pretty damn happy today.. I'm glad I had the stomach to ride the bear, because almost everything I own is back to even from 30% down.

sonarrat said:
Anyone who bought into the VNQ REIT like I suggested is pretty damn happy today.. I'm glad I had the stomach to ride the bear, because almost everything I own is back to even from 30% down.

Glad to hear that. :D

mckmas8808

huacst21 said:
A good thing if you took long positions in stocks. The uptick rule was established 5 years after the 1929 stock crash. You can short a stock only if the last sale price was higher than the previous price.

When the SEC eliminated the rule in 2007, IMO, it increased the volatility of the market we see today.

As of now you can short a stock at any price. A stock that was trading in the 20s, 30s, 40s, etc. can be shorted to death and be trading for pennies on the pink sheets.

Yep I'm not saying that the uptick rule kill Wall Street, but it's removal was near the time when the stock market fell.

Gallbaro

Banned
So anyone here has any idea how corporations would account for emissions.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/200...ationwide-greenhouse-gas-reporting-system.php

In a promising new development, the EPA has announced for the first time that intends create a comprehensive, national system for reporting CO2 emissions. The system will require around 13,000 facilities, or 85-90% of all the places generating greenhouse gases, to report their emissions—and would be a huge step towards realizing the agency's goal of regulating carbon dioxide emissions.

The proposed system, which is slated to have the first annual emission reports due by 2011, would mark great progress in effectively assessing industry generated emissions. Ideally, it could provide an important roadmap for moving towards better CO2 regulation, and will be absolutely necessary if and when Obama's Cap and Trade plans come to fruition. Basically, it shows that the EPA means business.

But how will it work?

So what would benefit from this?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gallbaro said:
So anyone here has any idea how corporations would account for emissions.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/200...ationwide-greenhouse-gas-reporting-system.php

So what would benefit from this?

What would benefit, in the long run, would be alternate energy (solar, wind, geothermal, etc.).

tarius1210 said:
Damn...called it again. JPM up 20% so far. Give credit were credit is due guys. :D

Oh come on, everything was up today, even Take2 was up 14% before their earnings, AIG was up 20%, etc. A lot of stuff is falling in AH. ERTS lost all of today's gains in AH trading. THQI too:p

AstroLad said:
Exactly, the fundamentals of the economy are very solid and that is all that matters.

The fundamentals are not solid at all, they have deteriorated, and nothing has been done to strengthen them longer-term.

Also, this was in today's news:

U.S. Weighs Further Steps for Citi

Barely a week after the third rescue of Citigroup Inc., U.S. officials are examining what fresh steps they might need to take to stabilize the bank if its problems mount, according to people familiar with the matter.

[...]

One possible future step could involve creating a "bad bank" to take distressed assets off the balance sheet of Citigroup or other troubled financial institutions. Differing approaches are still being considered. Treasury officials already are developing a public-private partnership to tackle that problem more broadly, and the two concepts could either run parallel or be merged.

And all of a sudden Citi is doing great?

Yeah right.

And if this is the rally I have been expected, I'm now going to expect the second part of this recession.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
What would benefit, in the long run, would be alternate energy (solar, wind, geothermal, etc.).

Oh come on, everything was up today, even Take2 was up 14% before their earnings, AIG was up 20%, etc. A lot of stuff is falling in AH. ERTS lost all of today's gains in AH trading. THQI too:p

The fundamentals are not solid at all, they have deteriorated, and nothing has been done to strengthen them longer-term.

Also, this was in today's news:

U.S. Weighs Further Steps for Citi

And all of a sudden Citi is doing great?

Yeah right.

And if this is the rally I have been expected, I'm now going to expect the second part of this recession.

Dude, I called JPM stock rising this week on Sunday night. I'm just trying to help u guys make money that's all. I could stop giving my opinion on stock picks if you want me too (even though I have yet to make a wrong prediction in 2009).

Top Bottom