• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

kathode

Dammit, should've transferred my money to my brokerage account earlier. I sat on it thinking Scottrade credits your account right when you initiate the transfer. But unfortunately, that credit can only be used for plain stock transactions, not options.

Probably safe to sit on the sidelines for another day or two anyway. I can't find a lot oversold or overbought with a few quick scans. Looks like the market is recovering from being silly oversold.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I'm looking for short/put ideas vs. new long ideas. I just shorted AA. Looking to short NYX, too. Bought some MCD. Getting ready to sell my KFT calls. My UPS and BDK calls are doing nicely.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah personally I think this is a fool's rally, all related to Citi's claims.

Anyway, CGT up over 5%.

RSTEIN said:
I'm looking for short/put ideas vs. new long ideas. I just shorted AA. Looking to short NYX, too. Bought some MCD. Getting ready to sell my KFT calls. My UPS and BDK calls are doing nicely.

MCD is a great company for long-term. A damn near monopoly on the fast food, wide moat, and has increased it's dividend every year for the past 33 years.

Tideas

Banned
bernanke is an idiot. He should have let AIG fail way back in October. At least the pain that we are feeling now would have been felt then, but at least we aren't paying for THEIR FUCKING BONUSES

RSTEIN

huacst21 said:
MCD is a great company for long-term. A damn near monopoly on the fast food, wide moat, and has increased it's dividend every year for the past 33 years.

long term?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah but every indicator shows nothing has gotten better. Still a lot of job losses projected for this month, industrial output continues to drop, etc.

RSTEIN said:
long term?

In my situation it is. I bought MCD when it was around ~$25 in 2004.

Edit: :lol Meant to say long position. 3MM is another company I hold long. Hasn't been this low since 2002 and have bought more shares since the ~$49 dip. :D

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah but every indicator shows nothing has gotten better. Still a lot of job losses projected for this month, industrial output continues to drop, etc.

Of course. This market now is being run by emotions. Any word of good news about the economy will make it rally and vice-versa.

Ovid

Tideas said:
bernanke is an idiot. He should have let AIG fail way back in October. At least the pain that we are feeling now would have been felt then, but at least we aren't paying for THEIR FUCKING BONUSES
You obviously know nothing about what would happen if AIG failed. Please don't talk nonsense if you're not educated on the subject.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Tideas said:
If you thought people were freaking out when the govt first started bailing out banks, you don't even want to know what would have happened if AIG failed. Bailing out AIG was a way for the govt to bail out every single major bank out there without causing even more widespread panic. If AIG failed we would be sitting in the middle of great depression 2 right now.

WingM@n

So the bear market rally (a.k.a. suckersrally )is in progress, don't believe for one second this will last. I think by april the Dow has dropped 1000 + points.

Ovid

the hell...SIRI up to $0.24??? This stock was $0.05 last month.

Ether_Snake said:
No money:p

I need to add to CGT, HON, or STP because I haven't in a while. My CGT shares are like $10 a share.
Still gonna buy or are you going to wait till the bears come back?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
WingM@n said:
So the bear market rally (a.k.a. suckersrally )is in progress, don't believe for one second this will last. I think by april the Dow has dropped 1000 + points.
Yes what a surprise you would be upset by events that are clearly proving your predictions WRONG. smh

Javaman

Justin Bailey said:
If you thought people were freaking out when the govt first started bailing out banks, you don't even want to know what would have happened if AIG failed. Bailing out AIG was a way for the govt to bail out every single major bank out there without causing even more widespread panic. If AIG failed we would be sitting in the middle of great depression 2 right now.

The people pushing for the bailout were pushing that as a "fact" when it might not even be true.

Tideas

Banned
Justin Bailey said:

the thing is, bailing out AIG did nothing. We still ended up bailing out all the other banks. I still don't see why AIG was bailed out. And look at how much it's costing us now. Now, Bernanke and the rest are saying oh they had to bailout AIG because they really don't want to be wrong. It's all ego now. Let's give them more money and more money because we don't want to be wrong. Or show we've made a mistake.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Javaman said:
The people pushing for the bailout were pushing that as a "fact" when it might not even be true.
I frankly cannot see how it couldn't be true, if AIG failed all of those mortgage-backed securities in default would now be worth ziltch on the banks' books. The govt giving cash to AIG was a way for it to siphon money to the world's entire financial system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about it at all, but it was necessary to avoid a worldwide financial meltdown.

Javaman

gkrykewy said:
All these "scientists" with their "theories" like gravity - what do they know? :lol

There is nothing scientific about this at all, it's all theory. It's impossible to prove that AIG's failure would bring everything down just like it's impossible for me to prove otherwise.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Javaman said:
There is nothing scientific about this at all, it's all theory. It's impossible to prove that AIG's failure would bring everything down just like it's impossible for me to prove otherwise.

Yes it IS provable. Do you know what AIG does? Do you understand how big the company is? If you did then you would know the Earth would crack if AIG failed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
whats the opinion on the general trend of the market? Is it going to stay in the shitter for ages, or will it recover at least a bit fairly soon?

I have some shares from my company and their price is pretty low historically, but thats combined with a shit exchange rate which means the overall price is ok. Do I sit things out expecting them to dramatically improve over some unknown time period, or sell? Thing is, with the £/euro exchange rate as it is, I'm getting 50% extra effectively, as the shares are priced in euros. So if the share price goes up 50%, but the exchange rate rebounds, its no change in benefit to me.

I don't need the cash, but its always nice to have cash.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
mrklaw said:
whats the opinion on the general trend of the market? Is it going to stay in the shitter for ages, or will it recover at least a bit fairly soon?

I have some shares from my company and their price is pretty low historically, but thats combined with a shit exchange rate which means the overall price is ok. Do I sit things out expecting them to dramatically improve over some unknown time period, or sell? Thing is, with the £/euro exchange rate as it is, I'm getting 50% extra effectively, as the shares are priced in euros. So if the share price goes up 50%, but the exchange rate rebounds, its no change in benefit to me.

I don't need the cash, but its always nice to have cash.
You're gonna find opinions all over the place on the market. I can say that this recent upturn is based on the positive outlook that Citibank made last week. The market will be watching the financial sector's 1Q statements like a hawk and if it goes inline with the outlook I would expect it to continue rising. If it turns out that citi was full of hot air then expect us to be back down in the lower 6000s soon enough.

Tideas

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Yes it IS provable. Do you know what AIG does? Do you understand how big the company is? If you did then you would know the Earth would crack if AIG failed.

So what would have happened that isn't already happening now?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Tideas said:
So what would have happened that isn't already happening now?

It would have been worst than what's happening now. Have you noticed what the TED spread and Libor OIS is lately?

Yeah, now compare that to Sept-Oct of last year.

Javaman

mckmas8808 said:

I know what "others" are saying about the company. These being regulators who missed the problem in the first place and people who stand to gain from AIG being bailed out. AIG had massive tentacles in just about everything, but that doesn't mean that the claims of world-wide failure are not exaggerated.

RSTEIN

AA just cut its dividend. Seriously, I was so lucky today. I shorted NYX when it was up 3%. It finished the day down 2.32%. I shorted AA when it was up 6.50%. Now down 8% after hours. Sold my KFT calls when the stock was up 3%. Finished up only 1.5%.

Ovid

I learned so much about what AIG does since the collapse back in Sept. Trust me, we would all be selling apples and oranges on the street right now if we didn't bail them out. AIG's failure posed a systemic risk to the entire financial industry. The threat would not have only affected the U.S. but Europe as well. AIG sold a ton of credit default swaps to European banks. AIG's failure would have brought Europe to their knees (read AIG's annual report from 2007 if you don't believe me).

God, I can't wait till I get my degree so I become an economist. :D

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tarius1210 said:
the hell...SIRI up to $0.24??? This stock was $0.05 last month.

Still gonna buy or are you going to wait till the bears come back?

I'm buying something among those, not sure what yet.

Soka said:
om nom nom COOL is on a roll this past week.

Yeah very volatile stock so be careful and ready. You should set a stop order.

Also, there was no need to bail out a dozen banks through AIG. It only allowed AIG to waste a lot of money in bonuses and other expenses. Too many people here repeat what they heard before just because they heard it. Bailing out AIG was a scam, there were alternatives to get the money in the right hands without passing through them.

mckmas8808 said:
It would have been worst than what's happening now. Have you noticed what the TED spread and Libor OIS is lately?

Yeah, now compare that to Sept-Oct of last year.

Libor’s Creep Shows Credit Markets at Risk of Seizure

It has been rising recently.

gkryhewy

Ether_Snake said:
Also, there was no need to bail out a dozen banks through AIG. It only allowed AIG to waste a lot of money in bonuses and other expenses. Too many people here repeat what they heard before just because they heard it. Bailing out AIG was a scam, there were alternatives to get the money in the right hands without passing through them.

Yeah, so they gave 170B to AIG so they could blow all of... what... 200M total on bonuses and junkets? ::rolleyes::

Javaman

tarius1210 said:
I learned so much about what AIG does since the collapse back in Sept. Trust me, we would all be selling apples and oranges on the street right now if we didn't bail them out. AIG's failure posed a systemic risk to the entire financial industry. The threat would not have only affected the U.S. but Europe as well. AIG sold a ton of credit default swaps to European banks. AIG's failure would have brought Europe to their knees (read AIG's annual report from 2007 if you don't believe me).

God, I can't wait till I get my degree so I become an economist. :D

Nothing in economics happens in a vacuum though. When it would have fallen, the government would have stepped in anyways to bail out the banks and made plenty of announcements about the FDIC covering deposits to prevent bank runs. We've given them $170 billion so far. If the World's economy is teetering so close to the edge that $170 billion is all that's saving us then we've got FAR larger problems.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
gkrykewy said:
Yeah, so they gave 170B to AIG so they could blow all of... what... 200M total on bonuses and junkets? ::rolleyes::

What I'm saying is you're telling the robber to go and give the money back. Who knows what AIG has been doing, there's more under that stone, and the bonuses and other wasteful spending (a couple million dollars meeting with spas and all) are just signs of something deeper.

Gallbaro

Banned
Captain Sparrow said:
So what do you guys think about buying AIG? Even though they have made so many bad decisions, does anyone honestly think they would be left to fail?

There is a difference between being allowed to fail and allowing owners to survive.

Everyone who holds AIG stock should be sent to 0, hell even bondholders should feel the damn pain.

Javaman

Captain Sparrow said:
So what do you guys think about buying AIG? Even though they have made so many bad decisions, does anyone honestly think they would be left to fail?

It is going to take them years or decades to get out of the debt that they owe us.

Top Bottom