• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

kathode

Today is nuts! Wish I hadn't sold out of calls yesterday. I have MBIA calls which are annoying me greatly. The stock is up 6% but the bid/ask on the options have hardly moved at all. Looking to dump out at breakeven.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TTWO dropped 9% yesterday after lowered outlook, THQI up 8.75% today:p AMD up over 8% too.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Good day :D I bought AXP this morning which was incredibly lucky. Got some INTC and WHR puts. 70% long. A few shorts (RTN, BA).

Ovid

MVL broke past its 52-week high this afternoon.

I have to be seeing this wrong. CIT dropped 99% this afternoon. Now it's up 16,000%. The fuck...

EDIT: Trading was halted before the close.

This might seem odd, but I have to thank alot of you here, particularly RSTEIN and Ether_Snake (maybe some others i'm forgetting). But i'm only 19 and I taught myself how to invest a little while ago and I have to say that lurking this thread really did help me out as far as watching particular stocks and opinions on where and where not to buy. I made quite a bit a profit too, which i'm quite proud of. So here's my thanks!

Gallbaro

Banned
Ninja_Hawk said:
This might seem odd, but I have to thank alot of you here, particularly RSTEIN and Ether_Snake (maybe some others i'm forgetting). But i'm only 19 and I taught myself how to invest a little while ago and I have to say that lurking this thread really did help me out as far as watching particular stocks and opinions on where and where not to buy. I made quite a bit a profit too, which i'm quite proud of. So here's my thanks!

Eh, you should be thanking Macro movements and getting in at just the right time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah, cause I haven't made a dime since EA offered Take2 $25 a share:p

Only ATVI has been in the green all along. Everything else I would have to add to soon, but I want to invest in some other stuff for now.

Yeah, probably the biggest gain i've made was off of Oracle buying Sun. I put some money into THQI way too late, I had no idea the impact UFC was going to make, and figured they'd be well off after the fact without doing any research on what was coming, lesson learned.

RSTEIN

Ninja_Hawk said:

That's great! You are on the right path. To get excited and interested in investing/saving at your age puts you head and shoulders above the vast majority of people out there. The most important thing is that you're arriving at your own conclusions. The only way to learn is to put your ideas into action and see whether you're right or wrong. The market will tell you instantly. You won't get that instant feedback from any other endeavor. Perform a full blown post-mortem on your failed trades/investments. Your mistakes will teach you the most!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
China’s economy rebounded from its weakest growth in almost a decade as record lending and surging investment countered a slump in exports.

Gross domestic product expanded 7.9 percent in the second quarter from a year earlier after a 6.1 percent gain in the previous three months, the statistics bureau said in Beijing today. That was more than the 7.8 percent median estimate of 20 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News.

China’s 4 trillion yuan ($585 billion) stimulus package and the scrapping of lending restrictions for banks triggered the revival in the world’s third-largest economy. The nation risks bubbles in stocks and property after money supply grew by a record and inflows of cash pushed foreign-exchange reserves to more than $2 trillion.

“China’s recovery is on track and growth may accelerate to near 9 percent in the third quarter and 10 percent in the fourth quarter,” said Lu Ting, an economist at Bank of America-Merrill Lynch in Hong Kong. “The government won’t tighten policies too early but it should tell banks not to lend without limit.”

[...]

Premier Wen Jiabao cautioned this month that the nation faces weak export demand, rising unemployment and falling company profits.

Industrial production increased 10.7 percent in June from a year earlier after an 8.9 percent gain in May, the statistics bureau said. Retail sales climbed 15 percent.

Emerging economies, led by China, are set to regain growth momentum in the remainder of this year, helping the world economy to recover from the worst slump since World War II, the International Monetary Fund said in a July 8 report.

I'm curious about what may happen, if consumption doesn't pick up in the US to significant levels. China might end up financing its own bubble by trying to keep its economy from falling.

kathode

RSTEIN said:
So I bought some WHR puts yesterday...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.gif

Doh!
I got lucky on MBI calls. Sold out late yesterday for basically breakeven. About a $50 loss total. Today it's given up all the gains from yesterday - nearly a 6% loss so far. Glad to be rid of that. I'm back to all cash for the moment.

RSTEIN

kathode said:
Doh!
I got lucky on MBI calls. Sold out late yesterday for basically breakeven. About a $50 loss total. Today it's given up all the gains from yesterday - nearly a 6% loss so far. Glad to be rid of that. I'm back to all cash for the moment.

All cash, eh? Well, I have some WHR puts for sale. My ask is $7.30, what I paid for them. Look, I know they're $5.90 bid right now. But let's set that aside for a moment. This is a once and a lifetime opportunity. A trusted source has told me WHR IS GOING TO GO BANKRUPT! Yup! Now is your chance to own these puts for the very fair price of $7.30! Act fast - don't let this opportunity pass you by!

Finance

Banned
RSTEIN said:
All cash, eh? Well, I have some WHR puts for sale. My ask is $7.30, what I paid for them. Look, I know they're $5.90 bid right now. But let's set that aside for a moment. This is a once and a lifetime opportunity. A trusted source has told me WHR IS GOING TO GO BANKRUPT! Yup! Now is your chance to own these puts for the very fair price of $7.30! Act fast - don't let this opportunity pass you by!

in that case, i'll inform the sec and have them sent your way ASAP.

thanks for the tip!

Zyzyxxz

Relix said:
I am looking for extremely cheap stocks that can do well in a few years. Any tips guys?

if you don't mind over the counter and foreign stuff I'm going for a long position 5-10 years on BYDDF (BYD automotive)

It's only starting to gain a foothold in the automotive industry but they've been making batteries for a long time and they will become one of the largest suppliers of batteries for electric cars out of China.

Also Warren Buffet bought a crapload into the company but that's shouldn't be the sole reason you would want to buy it but that you yourself have done your research and believe the company will prosper.

Ovid

Relix said:
I am looking for extremely cheap stocks that can do well in a few years. Any tips guys?
I think SNDK is relativley cheap. This stock was trading around $60 before the bank crisis started back in Summer '07. They recieve a steady stream of income through royalty payments. They own patents in SSD (Solid State Drives) technology. These drives are now offered with netbooks and once they become cheaper will offered in desktops and laptops as a standard feature.

Samsung offered to buy the company out last Fall for around $26. It's hard to believe that SNDK dropped all the way to $5 last year.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Zyzyxxz said:
if you don't mind over the counter and foreign stuff I'm going for a long position 5-10 years on BYDDF (BYD automotive)

It's only starting to gain a foothold in the automotive industry but they've been making batteries for a long time and they will become one of the largest suppliers of batteries for electric cars out of China.

Also Warren Buffet bought a crapload into the company but that's shouldn't be the sole reason you would want to buy it but that you yourself have done your research and believe the company will prosper.

"Your order cannot be accepted. BYDDF trades in round lots only. To place this order, please change your quantity to a multiple of 500."

Crap, 2500.... hmm.... gonna do some extra research XD

I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind, since I mentioned I was new at this.

1. Where do alot of your investment ideas come from is it industries that seem to be booming or making the most money at a certain time and you just do your research on particular companies within that industry, or you look at companies in industries you already know alot about or have an interest in? If you look at a companies income statement and their balance sheet, and you see things seem positive, what motivates you to buy them, the potential growth or something that just seems to be a safe bet because a company may be well established?

2. How do you go about trying to predict whether a stock's price is going to jump or fall? I've thought that business fundamentals were the most important thing, like let's say a videogame company that is going to release a game or system that you know is probably going to sell very well, the companies going to make a big profit from it, so I expect something positive stock price wise to occur after it does, but i've noticed that this isn't always the case, sometimes the price will drop and i'm left trying to figure out why. Isn't the profitability of the company, the blood, what will ultimately decide whether it's good to invest in or not? What other factors am I missing or not taking into account?

Ovid

Ninja_Hawk said:
I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind, since I mentioned I was new at this.

1. Where do alot of your investment ideas come from is it industries that seem to be booming or making the most money at a certain time and you just do your research on particular companies within that industry, or you look at companies in industries you already know alot about or have an interest in? If you look at a companies income statement and their balance sheet, and you see things seem positive, what motivates you to buy them, the potential growth or something that just seems to be a safe bet because a company may be well established?

2. How do you go about trying to predict whether a stock's price is going to jump or fall? I've thought that business fundamentals were the most important thing, like let's say a videogame company that is going to release a game or system that you know is probably going to sell very well, the companies going to make a big profit from it, so I expect something positive stock price wise to occur after it does, but i've noticed that this isn't always the case, sometimes the price will drop and i'm left trying to figure out why. Isn't the profitability of the company, the blood, what will ultimately decide whether it's good to invest in or not? What other factors am I missing or not taking into account?

Most of my long positions are with companies that are already well known. However, I do play around with speculative stocks. It's all about being forward looking. Try to read all of the different financial publications that are out there (WSJ, Bloomberg.com, Financial Times, and BusinessWeek) for stock ideas. You can also watch Bloomberg TV, CNBC, and Fox Business Channel. Once you have located an attractive company do a fundamental analysis on the company. Armed with this data, you can then perform a technical analysis on the company looking at current price movements looking for the right opportunity to buy.

That's what I do or try to do when I'm not working.

Gallbaro

Banned
Ninja_Hawk said:

My best stock picks:

FNM after the first dump, bought after it was oversold and then sold them a week later.

BNI because I ride Amtrak and I saw a lot of increased traffic on BNI territory, on one of my trips.

Finance

Banned
Ninja_Hawk said:

i wont go into #1 right now, but to answer #2 you should read into efficient markets theory on investopedia or wikipedia. its not a complete answer but it gives you some fundamentals.

Ovid

Gallbaro said:
My best stock picks:

FNM after the first dump, bought after it was oversold and then sold them a week later.

BNI because I ride Amtrak and I saw a lot of increased traffic on BNI territory, on one of my trips.
Do you think the the pump that happened with FNM and FRE will happen with CIT? I see that the stock price dropped 75% today than gained 20% AH.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Hate to mention it again, but I've never felt as good about a Pink Sheet as WNBD

PR today as a featured product on Extreme Makeover Home Edition and they should be announcing Lowes as well as a national grocery chain shortly. It's on when they break into the US. Really like these guys long

Gallbaro

Banned
tarius1210 said:
Do you think the the pump that happened with FNM and FRE will happen with CIT? I see that the stock price dropped 75% today than gained 20% AH.

Gotta be damn quick if you are gonna respond to a market over reaction. But back then no one had a clue, with CIT it is pretty clear that the only hope for their stock price to not go down to 0 is the government, which apparently has refused.

RSTEIN

Ninja_Hawk said:

Since I was 15 I've been value investor. I ready Security Analysis on a family vacation. Started a neighbourhood investment club when I was in grade 10. Started an investment corp. shortly after. I consumed everything out there on investment valuation. I ready every single Berkshire Hathaway annual report. I obtained the Canadian Investment Manager designation before second year university. Got my CFA, joined Canada's best value-oriented mutual fund. I searched for undervalued stocks, did lots of valuation work, model building, meeting with executives, etc. That was my life.

Everything changed about 2 years ago when I started to realize how imprecise, fluid and incomplete everything I thought I knew was. I realized what a sham most investment analysis is and how incomplete the portfolio management process is. I underwent a huge shift in my thinking. I started reading about guys like Jesse Livermore, Ed Seykota, William Ekhardt, Henry, Soros, etc. I started reading work by Benoit Mandelbrot (pioneer of fractals) and Nassim Taleb (before he was cool). The incredible thing is most of these great traders (I mean truly great with over 20%+ compounded over a long period of time) is that they have ZERO formal business/ finance training. They didn’t grow up studying balance sheets. They come from strange backgrounds like engineering and philosophy (and some with no background in anything!).

What they all have in common is an understanding of the inner workings of price action and trading psychology. They don’t trade earnings or macro forecasts. They don’t care if XYZ makes widgets or airplanes. They simply trade the endogenous price action that exists as a result of how people come together in the marketplace. They may trade trends (like Dunn) or “pivot points” (like Livermore) or have an intimate understanding of “reflexivity” (like Soros).

These greats came to the same conclusion about how to trade the market: let the market tell you what to do. If you speak the market’s language it’s shocking what it can tell you. Don’t force an investment thesis upon a stock if the stock action is weak. A lot of value investors were burned last year because stocks “looked cheap.” Well they got their asses handed to them. It doesn’t matter how cheap or how expensive a stock is. If it tells you it wants to go up, go with it! Short it if it’s weak. You’re going to be wrong often (perhaps the majority of the time) but if losses are kept at 2-3% and you let your winners ride then long-term the results will be huge. Think like baseball. A .400 career batting average would be phenomenal.

So thankfully I pulled everything I had out of the market the middle of last year armed with this knew knowledge. That move basically changed my life. I avoided what would have been a 50% collapse of my life savings. Since then I’ve been trading my own account and it’s been an awesome ride.

If you read one book: Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefevre. On the surface it’s the fictional story of trader Larry Livingston. In reality it is a collaboration between Lefevre and Jesse Livermore (i.e. Larry Livingston = Jesse Livermore). It’s an incredible story about the rise and fall of the world’s greatest speculator.

I’ll leave you with this quote from 1863 by Rengault, a French stockbroker:

How astonishing and admirable are the ways of Providence, what thoughts come to our mind when observing the marvellous order which presides over the most minute details of the most hidden events! What! The changes in stock market prices are subject to fixed mathematical laws! Events produced by the passing fancy of men, the most unpredictable shocks of the political world, of clever financial schemes, the outcome of a vast number of unrelated events, all this combines and randomness becomes a word without meaning! And now worldly princes, learn and be humble, you who in your pride, dream to hold in your hands the destiny of nations, kings of finance who have at your disposal the wealth and credit of governments, you are but frail and docile instruments in the hands of the One who brings all causes and effects together in harmony and who, as the Bible says, has measured, weighed, and parcelled out everything in perfect order.
Man bustles but God leads.

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
TTWO almost completely recovered from its 9% drop.
I saw that it dipped into the $7 range and would have bought some shares but I was waiting for my funds to settle.

Had my trigger on purchasing CIT shares in the premarket but wuss'd out. Up 90%...damn. I knew there would be a pump on this stock today.

BTW...good stuff RSTEIN.

RSTEIN

I'm very, very uncomfortably long. Here we are bumping against 940 like June. The market really needs to break through here. We've had an awesome run and I want to hedge myself in case we fail at this level now that earnings are baked in. What I hope to see is a nice correction back to 920 (50 day moving average) then gradually break through the 940 level.

Unfortunately, there's not a clear way for me to protect myself here. Despite the market's recent surge, there aren't a whole lot of overbought stocks. So I'm not going to buy a lot of puts. Plus, we're still in earnings season and owning puts or calls is tough during the period (i.e. potentially ruinous). I've trimmed some of my SPY position and I sold my AXP/NTAP (having made about 15% on each last 4 days). I bought some INTC and CSCO puts to hedge my other tech positions.

If it does break out above 940 next week, then I'm still very well positioned. I'm 70% long. Got my puts, a few shorts, then cash. After the break out it'll probably correct back to 940. The current resistance should act as support during a retracement from the break out. Then I'll rebuy the SPY I sold today.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
CAE has the most erratic movement of all I own. Down when markets up, and vice versa.

Might buy ADSK in the near future, maybe Monday, we'll see. For shorter term objectives, I might buy some RTP. They are still low enough from their last high.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Things look pretty decent so far today. Hope those leading indicators come out positive. The report will be released in about 10 minutes.

RSTEIN

Goldman is calling for a monster second half rally.

The SP500 really needs to break out of this range. We've been in this 880/950 rectangle since May. The market is going to explode if we break resistance and watch out below if we break 880.

Tarazet

I'm writing January 2010 $14 calls against my shares in UNG which I bought at $13.06. The upfront premium is about 15% of the share price at this point. This way, if the shares go way up, the call will be exercised and I can quickly jump back in with the extra money, and if they go way down, then I can buy an option to close out the position and then continue holding the ETF long.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bought 10 shares of RTP at 147.80 today. I'm guessing it will be able to reach 180 to 200 in the near term, at which point I will either sell it all or just sell whatever I need to sell to make my investment back and keep the rest, since there is still a lot of potential for it to reach much higher than that. First purchase from my tax-exempt savings account:)

RSTEIN

mckmas8808 said:
Okay looks like we hit 951 today. :lol

Here's what I'm looking at. It seemed to me like a no brainer to go long early in July when the SP500 bounced off 880/200 day support. It was a pretty riskless trade. A stop below the 200 day limited my downside to 2%. My SPY trade is up 7% and the various tech/financials I bought at the time are all up between 10-15%. I also bought some calls at the time that paid off.

Here's the problem: the Nasdaq just had its best week in a decade. A decade! There are now 37 companies that are overbought in the SP500. Everyone is waiting for this thing to break out but I'm worried that we've already spent all our gas with this upsurge.

Here's the two basic scenarios I'm waiting for:

1) We get the explosion to the upside and everyone goes apeshit. Money on the sidelines comes pouring in and we get another leg up.

2) We have a nice correction back to the 50 day moving average (the blue line). The market gets a chance to breath and THEN we can start a climb higher.

3) WARNING: LOW VOLUME! Look at that awful volume. Today's close above 950 wasn't done with a bang... it was done with a whimper. It's summer. Markets can get extremely choppy. A few bad eco reports/bad earnings and this market could break the 50 day and all bets are off.

I'm very long and have been since early July. I took some profits Friday and took some more today (LOGI, AAPL). I have CSCO, INTC, PPG, and WHR puts. These are all down about 20%. I have added a few shorts along the way but keep getting stopped out.

288xhyb.jpg

Top Bottom