• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ovid

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--The Walt Disney Co. (DIS) made another foray into the videogame business Tuesday, hiring game creator Alexander Seropian and agreeing to buy his Chicago-based firm, Wideload Games.
The move comes as media conglomerates contend with a slowdown in advertising revenue and DVD sales; they see videogames as a business with more growth potential where they can exploit some of their popular entertainment franchises.
Disney didn't disclose the terms of the deal but it came on the heels of last week's announcement the entertainment giant had agreed to pay $4 billion for Marvel Entertainment Inc. (MVL), creator of videogame-friendly comic book characters and such box office draws as Spiderman, the Incredible Hulk and the X-Men.
Shares of Disney were recently trading up 1.2% to $26.20.
Disney's dealmaking is a sign of confidence in an industry that has been rattled by the rise of digital media and a breakdown in the economics of many of its traditional business models.
Seropian's hiring demonstrates that video gaming continues to be a business where the company sees opportunity in an economic recovery.
"In the long term, we're still bullish about where this industry is going to be," said Graham Hopper, general manager of Disney Interactive Studios. "Alex is valuable to us with or without Marvel."
A rare bright spot in the media and entertainment landscape, videogame sales have dropped off as the recession has worsened. However, analysts view it as a business that can continue its growth spurt as the economy rebounds because studies show young consumers spending more time playing videogames than they do with other media.
"Clearly, the amount of time spent with videogames is significant relative to other forms of media and it fits with Disney's assets," said UBS analyst Michael Morris.
That said, Morris said Disney's Marvel acquisition likely signaled the company wasn't planning a major acquisition of a videogame publisher like Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (TTWO) or Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS), two struggling game companies that are widely viewed as potential acquisition targets.
The Wideload acquisition "fits its strategy of investing in small, creative firms that can build out Disney's gaming business organically," said Morris.
Wideload, which is based in Chicago and has 25 full-time workers, was founded in 2003 by Seropian, who will become vice president of creative at Disney Interactive Studios, the company's game division located in Glendale, Calif.
Seropian was a co-founder of Bungie, a game company that was acquired in 2000 by Microsoft Corp. (MSFT), where Seropian oversaw the development, production and delivery of Halo, the flagship title for the 2001 launch of Microsoft's Xbox game system.
Currently, the firm is developing a family console game scheduled for release in 2010 from Disney. The studio will focus on creating new intellectual properties that target a broad audience.
Seropian will join game designer Warren Spector, who sold his firm, Junction Point Studios, to Disney in 2007 and joined its creative ranks.
Disney Interactive Studios has produced games based on the company's popular franchises, like Hannah Montana and High School Musical, but it has yet to break into the world of hard-core gaming with a big hit. Hopper aims to change that, saying that with the hiring of Seropian the company is "trying to be a magnet in this industry for talent."
Holy hell, was I way off.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
FSLR up 10% after announcing:

Chinese solar plant expected to be the biggest

First Solar Inc. said Tuesday it has received initial approval from the Chinese government to build what may become the largest solar field in the world.

First Solar, which makes more solar cells than any other company, said it struck a tentative 10-year deal to build in China's vast desert north of the Great Wall. The project would eventually blanket 25 square miles (64 sq. kilometers) of Inner Mongolia -- slightly larger than the size of Manhattan -- with a sea of black, light-absorbing glass.

The solar field would dwarf anything in operation in the U.S. or Europe. At 2 gigawatts, or 2 billion watts, the solar plant could pump as much energy onto China's grid as two coal-fired plants, enough to light up three million homes. Like most solar plants, however, it wouldn't produce electricity at night.

Solars are up as a result.

Zyzyxxz

Damn I've been wanting to get into solars for a long time, especially with more cars that are probably gonna use them I see a big future for them.

What are some good Solars to watch?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Zyzyxxz said:
Damn I've been wanting to get into solars for a long time, especially with more cars that are probably gonna use them I see a big future for them.

What are some good Solars to watch?

I got some STP shares. There is FSLR. TSL. LDK. CSIQ (don't let the name fool you, it is Chinese too). ESLR. As you can tell, practically all big solar companies are Chinese.

Be careful, solars are EXTREMELY volatile. It's nice to have some money in the sector, but if you are betting for a jackpot good luck, it's like the dot-com boom, it's full of startups, lots of competition, etc., lots of hype and disinformation.

China is currently crushing everyone else though, in part due to cheap labor, but also because spending more money in getting solar panels and the likes in place gives more experience and funds to their companies. Wouldn't be surprised to see forms of protectionism affect the green energy sector in the future. Green energy is going to be key to create jobs, yet everything can be made in China, so you end up only with installation and maintenance jobs.

We'll see, but remember the sector is risky.

kathode

Got GPS puts right before they got upgraded. Doh. I need to pick up some longs I think. I've got ~20k in my brokerage account that just sits there, and I rarely get more than 5-6k in options at one time these days.

Zyzyxxz

tarius1210 said:
Yes, I saw that. I know I saw something in the news last week or two weeks ago about solar energy and China.

Buying shares of C before Sept. 10th?
Dilution???

I thought the dilution was already priced into the current stock. Either way I didn't see a big selloff today, so depending on today I'll act accordingly

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
kathode said:
Got GPS puts right before they got upgraded. Doh. I need to pick up some longs I think. I've got ~20k in my brokerage account that just sits there, and I rarely get more than 5-6k in options at one time these days.

Yes. You do. Or some shorts. I'll prepare something here for yourself and everyone. It's a super simple strategy that allows you to pick stocks in minutes.

RSTEIN

Alright, here's a guide on how to use moving averages.

1) Should I use the 50 day or 200 day?
This really depends on you. I know traders that refuse to buy any stock that is trading below its 200 day moving average. Other traders love to play with the 50 day moving average. Trading around the 200 day moving average will lead to less trading and fewer whipsaws. But the 200 day doesn't capture the big moves that can happen when stocks break through the 50 day (as we saw the first half of the year). If you have the time, play around with the 50 day and set steps below it. If you have less time, you may want to use the 200 day.

The #1 rule: PUT IN YOUR STOP LOSSES! ONLY ACCEPT A 1-3% LOSS! You can always buy the stock again! Don't be the investor that wakes up one day trying to figure out why their portfolio is down 50%. Better to take a 1-3% loss than let a stock decline by 20% before bailing. Take lots of small losses and let your winners run.

2) Using moving averages to avoid stocks that are about to fall and profit from declines.

Example: UNG.

I wish I had a dime for everytime someone told me UNG (natural gas) looks cheap. Our resident Fallout fanboy, kathode, is familiar with the pain of owning this thing.

However, if one used simple moving averages, they could have avoided 99% of the pain - and profited from the decline since mid 2008.

At 1) UNG broke its 50 day moving average. This was the sign to sell or at least avoid adding to your position.

At 2) UNG breaks its 200 day moving average. This is big warning sign. Here we're really looking to go short or at least monitor the situation for a retest of the 50 day.

3) UNG continues to fall and makes several failed attempts at its 50 day moving average. Every failure is an opportunity for you to go short. If you didn't catch the turning points at 1) and 2), no biggie. This is the meat of the trend and is where most of the money is made. You're short all the way down until 4).

At 4) UNG breaks out of its downtrend and you cover your short. You may use this opportunity to buy. If you bought at 4), you're stopped out once UNG crosses back through its 50 day moving average. No biggie - you lose 2-3% at most on this trade. That's fine when you've just captured over 60% from UNGs fall.

You may go long again once it pops above its 50 day and get stopped out for another 2-3% loss. No big deal. This is called being whipsawed and is part of the deal. Expect around 50% of all your trades to result in 1-3% losses from these false signals. The other 50% of your trades are going to capture the huge moves. Great traders embrace their losses and cut them quickly. It's just part of the business. At 5) UNG failed at its 50 day yet again and this could be a short opportunity but given the recent successful attempts to break its 50 day you may want to sit on the sidelines. Today it looks like UNG is popping off its bottom and is looking to move to its 50 day once again. If it fails, short. If it succeeds, go long. Let the market tell you what to do.

Example: SP500.
2yn5l6s.jpg

While the rest of the world was screaming and recoiling in horror, the trend trader actually went short the market early 2008.

At 1) the market already showed weakness. The 50 day crosses down through the 200 day. The SP500 couldn't break through. That's right: before Lehman, before the bailouts, before the panic, the market already was telling you to bail out.

At 2) we have another failed attempt of the 200 day moving average. You can use the opportunity to short or just avoid new investments altogether. Shortly after the failed attempt at the 200 day, the market crashes through its 50 day.

At 3) the SP500 surfaces above the 50 day briefly. You may go long here. You'll get stopped out for another 1-3% loss. You go short when the market fails again and shows weakness.

4) is another area where you'll probably get whipsawed. No big deal. You just captured a huge short opportunity when the market went into its tailspin. You lose another 1-3% at this juncture.

5) Oooh what's this? A huge move to its 50 day. Wait a minute... we saw this at 4) didn't we. Well guess what, this time we didn't get stopped out when we put money to work as it broke through the 50 day. We're about to capture a huge move that more than erases the 1-3% loss that we took at 4).

6) is an important area. The SP500 just broke through its 200 day - the first time in over a year! It's kind of irrelevant because the 200 day is still downward sloping. But... wait... what's this? Bam! In July the SP500 bounced of its 200 day and skyrocketed through its 50 day. 100 points later and here we are.

3) Riding stocks in uptrends.
Example: AAPL.
293vlg5.jpg

Ah, everyone's favourite stock. Yes, it's ridiculously expensive. Yes, Steve Jobs could drop dead any day now. Blah blah blah. These things are irrelevant when you distill everything down to moving averages.

Between October and March AAPL was in a tight range. Everytime the stock hit 80 it rebounded only to pull back from the 100 area. You can see the 50 day moving average was moving sideways and would have given you several signals that would lead to whipsaws. That's fine. Let's say you bought AAPL the five times it broke through its 50 day during this period. You would lose 1-3% as you get stopped out. Then you do the same thing in March... and here's where the action happens. You capture a move that's almost 100%!! In June the stock corrects to its 50 day. Stay long. In July it corrects to its 50 day. Textbook stuff. Stay long!

So that's it. Begin your day by scanning through the SP100 stocks. Which stocks are trading above their 200 day? 50 day? Which stocks are breaking down (e.g. Solar stocks a couple weeks ago). Buy stocks in uptrends that are responding to their moving averages. Avoid stocks that are going sideways and whipsawing through their moving averages. Short stocks like UNG that are in downtends.

Even if you don't believe in this stuff and think its mumbo jumbo and want to stick to the fundamentals, it still pays to pay attention. Spend 5 minutes a day looking at the broader indices and commodities. Is the market strong (above its 200 day)? Is it weak (below and failing at its moving averages)? You would have avoided the pain of the last year by simply following the rule to avoid any long investments when the SP500 is trading below its 200 day moving average.

RSTEIN

tarius1210 said:
Thanks RSTEIN.

Do you use a trailing stop?

Well, my stop is really based on where the moving average is. I don't really reset all my stops every day to keep up with the moving average (I should, just too lazy).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TTWO up 7.66% in AH. For whatever reason.

Edit: nm, another fluke.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
10wmip0.jpg

Zerohedge.com have been saying that algo-trades are programmed to start buying massively at 3:25 and sell at 3:55.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dow Jones on September 11 2001 and September 11 2009:

9,605.51 VS 9,605.41
3913245422_63b76bb50e_o.png

kathode

RSTEIN said:
So that's it. Begin your day by scanning through the SP100 stocks. Which stocks are trading above their 200 day? 50 day? Which stocks are breaking down (e.g. Solar stocks a couple weeks ago). Buy stocks in uptrends that are responding to their moving averages. Avoid stocks that are going sideways and whipsawing through their moving averages. Short stocks like UNG that are in downtends.

Even if you don't believe in this stuff and think its mumbo jumbo and want to stick to the fundamentals, it still pays to pay attention. Spend 5 minutes a day looking at the broader indices and commodities. Is the market strong (above its 200 day)? Is it weak (below and failing at its moving averages)? You would have avoided the pain of the last year by simply following the rule to avoid any long investments when the SP500 is trading below its 200 day moving average.

So did I set up my stock scan wrong or is literally every SP100 stock trading above both the 50 and 200 day MA right now? :lol

alejob

I'm all out, hoping for this September meltdown that doesn't want to show up. I'm still fairly positive it will happen.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That idea is that you can never managed to make a buy call at the lowest, nor a sell at the highest, hence making a sell at the lowest or a buy at the highest is also unlikely.

So if it is in a falling trend, you short, since there is likely some more falling to go, even if it's just a bit. If it is in a rising trend to buy, because there is probably some rising left, even if just a little.

I never tried that myself though, commissions are too expensive.

Ovid

alejob said:
I'm all out, hoping for this September meltdown that doesn't want to show up. I'm still fairly positive it will happen.
I don't think there will be a Sept. meltdown. Looking at news reports for the last two months (see below) things are looking better (with the exception of unemployment & the dollar falling). Earnings season kicks off the first week of October and we all know that financials will lead the market. Remember, GS started the current rally with their "blowout quarter". The markets were headed lower until that report came out. I see GS having good numbers again this quarter. I'm looking for them to head back near the $200 range again.

Ovid

Sept. 13 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. government’s auto trade- in program probably lifted retail sales in August to their biggest gain in more than three years and boosted factory output, economists said before reports this week.

Total purchases climbed 1.9 percent, the most since January 2006, according to the median of 60 estimates in a Bloomberg News survey ahead of Commerce Department figures due Sept. 15. The Obama administration’s “cash for clunkers” plan also helped industrial production in August to its first back- to-back monthly increase since 2007, economists said.

Americans flocked to auto showrooms last month to take advantage of the incentive program while purchases of other items were subdued even as evidence mounts that the worst recession since the Great Depression is ending. With unemployment forecast to reach 10 percent by the end of the year, consumer spending likely won’t lead the recovery.

“When you get to the fourth quarter, the blip from cash- for-clunkers falls out,” said Brian Bethune, chief financial economist at IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts. “The production recession is over and the housing recession is over. When you combine those two, they add up to a fair amount of traction in the overall economy.”

Excluding automobiles, retail sales probably rose 0.4 percent, economists said.

The recession “has brought on a new focus on frugality,” Mike Duke, chief executive officer for Wal-Mart Stores Inc., said last week at a conference in New York. “Clearly customers are watching every penny.” The world’s largest retailer is offering discounts to attract shoppers, Duke said.
bloomberg.com

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't see hiring making up for the huge number of job losses. Then you have all the graduates that will still be looking for jobs, etc. The impact of this has yet to show up.

Basically, people will have much less to spend, so even if the fall stops, I don't see growth and especially no way to go back to previous consumption levels. And the impact on China has yet to be seen, they are using smoke and mirrors for now to hide the impact.

And when the stimulus runs out and nothing has changed, we'll go back down.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ether_Snake said:
I don't see hiring making up for the huge number of job losses. Then you have all the graduates that will still be looking for jobs, etc. The impact of this has yet to show up.

Basically, people will have much less to spend, so even if the fall stops, I don't see growth and especially no way to go back to previous consumption levels. And the impact on China has yet to be seen, they are using smoke and mirrors for now to hide the impact.

And when the stimulus runs out and nothing has changed, we'll go back down.

You nailed it. In all honesty I expected the meltdown in the summer, but the government and insiders are doing a pretty good job postponing it. Just let it happen, it will happen.

Ovid

Not counting inflation, which will come later down the line, do you honestly believe that the economy will get so bad that we will head to the March lows again?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
No idea at all what will happen. But the situation is the same world-wide, so I'm thinking it's going to be ugly. I don't think there is much room for another game of illusions, there's a limit to how long they can keep the stimulus going.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone has a long-term chart of the US' dollar value, up to date?

It is going down pretty low.

Ovid

Looks like I picked the right time to take a break from the markets. The only correct decision I've made in the last 2 months.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ether_Snake said:
No idea at all what will happen. But the situation is the same world-wide, so I'm thinking it's going to be ugly. I don't think there is much room for another game of illusions, there's a limit to how long they can keep the stimulus going.

Why do you view the stimulus as smoke and mirrors?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
mckmas8808 said:
Why do you view the stimulus as smoke and mirrors?

For China it is, they have no chance in hell to turn their economy into one less centered on exports in a relatively short time. This means that they need to keep their stimulus going, and potentially create bubbles along the way as they try to keep their economy up.

And for the US the stimulus is worthless without fundamental changes being done in parallel, which aren't taking place. If the US wants to give themselves more time, that means expanding the stimulus, which eventually becomes impossible.

So I look at it as one way or another we have no choice but to see a major drop when the stimulus either in China or the US or both can't be supported further. When it happens, it will be too soon, neither China nor the US will have had managed to transform their economy to stay up without the stimulus. What happens after that who knows, could go any way. Last time around when the stimulus came to an end and the markets started tanking again, for those very same reason, the second world war occurred which sent markets up. I can't imagine a big war in our time, so I see nothing like that, unless China completely collapses and becomes highly unstable during the following years, effectively eliminating the main problem that the world economy has today which is trade imbalance/trade deficit.

(On the last unrelated point, imagine if the US disappeared from the face of the Earth before WWII, Europe would have recovered economically (assuming no war took place), since excessive production capacity would no longer exist in the world economy, and hence jobs would be created to meet demand, which was excessively met until then by the US at the cost of other nations. Turns out Europe got devastated, and this allowed excessive production capacity to become normal capacity; demand was no longer surpassing production capacity, since everything needed to be rebuilt. So again today, same thing. We have excessive production capacity in China which has a negative impact on jobs/salaries/etc. But for excessive capacity to become normal, you need either reduced capacity, or increased demand. I see no way to increase demand, especially considering that if the US was destroyed the only way for US demand to rise would be to cancel their debt, and for capacity to fall China would have to be the one that would be devastated. So in both cases, it is impossible without nuclear war, so very unlikely, so it means a long period of slow adjustments, which means no rapid growth in sight for a long time except for short-lived bubbles, each successively short than the previous one until we reach the bottom:p)

Edit: Here is a good new article on China: Can China Keep It Up?

[...] Stimulus spending contributes to overcapacity. There’s already a surfeit of highways, ports, airports and power plants. The country’s other big beneficiaries of government largesse—heavy industries such as steel, industrial-strength glass and aluminum—have spare capacity as well. The risks of deflation are rising.

Any unprofitable projects will cause nonperforming loans to mushroom. If that weren’t enough, much of the new liquidity flowing through the system is sloshing into property and stock markets. That could easily create bubbles, which, when burst, would saddle Chinese banks with even more bad debt. State banks may require a second massive bailout, just a few years after the first, to stay afloat.

Oh how familiar!

mckmas8808

kathode said:
Concerned it might be time to dump my puts for a loss. It's looking to me like the market is determined to hit 10k again.

Yep. And I think it will hit 10k in Q4 2009.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Interesting:

24eaogi.jpg

Emerging markets fell the most, jumped back up the most.

From this GS document: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/gs...in-market-highs-tangible-goal-quant-investors

But where is the rise in demand? I mean emerging economies were driven by export, but if exports fell and is not coming back why are they rallying over every one else? Makes no sense to me.

Also from the document: "Opportunity: Quality businesses have not rallied"

Ok, so how is that a good sign? Crap fell hard and jumped hard is what they are saying. They say to invest in emerging markets, but I always expected emerging markets to be hit the hardest. EM are reactionary. Until an EM country actually frees itself from its export-oriented economy it is still on a red line.

They say these documents are not for the general public, but that's bull, they don't care. Remember their calls for $200 a barrel for oil before it went in the $30s?

Ovid

I wonder if tommorow will bring huge swings to the upside?
I think it will.

After the quadruple witching I'm expecting to a small sell off of the major indicies next week.

Ovid

Palm Posts Loss Amid Pre Launch
Palm Inc.'s quarterly loss nearly quadrupled as its much-hyped Pre device failed to spark a rebound at the company. The smart-phone maker also warned of weak demand for its products in the current quarter.

The latest quarter was the first full period to reflect sales of the Pre, which was launched on June 6. Palm's results were impacted by the company's decision to defer much of the revenue from the device.

Palm to sell 16 million shares in offering
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- Smart phone maker Palm Inc. said Thursday it plans to sell about 16 million of its shares in an offering.

The offer includes an overallotment option in which underwriters may buy another 2.4 million shares.

Palm plans to use the proceeds for working capital and general corporate purposes. Venture capital firm Elevation Partners plans to buy $35 million of Palm's shares in the sale, at the public offering price.

As of June 26, the company had about 140.2 million shares outstanding, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Shares climbed 41 cents, or 2.8 percent, to $14.85 in after-hours trading. The stock had closed down 22 cents at $14.44.
Ugh...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
US Residents Dispose Of $29 Billion In Foreign Securities In July

An interesting money flow observation dervied from yesterday's TIC report is that as US residents were pumping money into domestic capital markets, they were aggressively pulling capital out of foreign stocks and bonds. In fact, in July, foreign equity purchases declined by $14.5 billion, while foreign bond purchases dropped by $14.2 billion, or a $28.7 billion combined. What is more notable is that on a TTM basis, the decline was much more pronounced, and from a combined $63 billion in June, the number has dropped to basically flat, at only $1.6 billion. As the chart below demonstrates, there is potentially up to another $200 billion of foreign capital repatriation by domestic investors. Ironically, with the US capital markets behaving more like an Emerging Market, courtesy of the domestically-funded dollar carry trade it is likely that much more capital reallocation will continue to come into US securities.

July%20US%20Rsident%20Purchases_0.jpg

So much for yesterday's GS report on emerging markets!

Tarazet

I'm going to be looking for the right time to close out my LYGAZ short call position. I want to go long because of Lloyds' strong dividend history, and as a holding in an IRA stocks like that are very good. But to close the position right now would be to realize a $180 loss.

Ovid

Sandisk will not pull back. It keeps getting upgraded. Bank of America has now set a price target of $30 for the stock.
a085n8.png

Look at that leap off of the 50-day MA. Remember, this was a $60 stock before the financial crisis.

mckmas8808

I wonder if the S&P 500 will close over 1,070 points today. I read that it was an important number to keep in mind.

Top Bottom