• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

kathode

Argh, market fake out. Set shallow limits this morning and they got hit. Boo hiss. Ah well, made a few bucks but always irritating to know I could've made more. Stupid full time job :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
kathode said:
Stupid full time job :lol

You're livin the dream... stop complaining :p

I covered my SPY short when the SP500 bounced off 1000. I made 1.32% on it. I'll go short tomorrow again if it breaks through 1000 or go long if it opens up.

DogWelder

I owe it to RSTEIN that I sold all my finance shares last week. Thanks, you saved me like 10 grand! :D

(I was going to hold them longer until I read one of your posts about a pullback).

RSTEIN

esc said:
I owe it to RSTEIN that I sold all my finance shares last week. Thanks, you saved me like 10 grand! :D

(I was going to hold them longer until I read one of your posts about a pullback).

Haha, nice!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
esc said:

vYEwd.png

It had to be done. :p

RSTEIN

kathode said:
Stupid full time job :lol

I have a question. If you have a "full time job" HOW THE HELL DO YOU HAVE SO MANY HEADSHOTS, SCREAMS, & MELEES IN SHADOW COMPLEX??? I see your name pop up everytime I kill someone :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TTWO up 3.75% after Q3 results.
Ubisoft up 4% on no news, maybe as a result of TTWO earnings.

Tarazet

Dang, UNG under $10. Down 25% since I did my buy-write. As a result my short call position is up 42% (price to cover is down to 1.70 from 3.30). If I had seen this coming I would have written an in the money call, but the stock has to stay below $14 until Jan 2011 so we'll see. My portfolio is getting hammered on paper, but everything is going in the direction I want it to. Down.

kathode

RSTEIN said:
I have a question. If you have a "full time job" HOW THE HELL DO YOU HAVE SO MANY HEADSHOTS, SCREAMS, & MELEES IN SHADOW COMPLEX??? I see your name pop up everytime I kill someone :lol

lol. Played for about 3-4 hours straight on Saturday running back and forth going nuts finding the last few items. Turns out two of them are in rooms with other stuff and the map is a complete fail at showing them. So I ran back and forth over and over killing guys trying to find them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Look at that:

TTWO was up 7.78% today.

And now in after hours? -7.21%

What a joke.

EDIT: Oh I think this is actually wrong.

stormer

Ether_Snake said:
Look at that:

TTWO was up 7.78% today.

And now in after hours? -7.21%

What a joke.

EDIT: Oh I think this is actually wrong.

its right.. but its only 800 shares in AH and the previous buy 8 minutes earlier was for 10.95

17:00 $ 10.16 800
16:52 $ 10.95 1,596

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I need advice, i have a friend who's wanting to enter the stock market, and he wants me to join. Basically he wants us each to put in £50 and buy shares of Nvidia, because he's convinced when they announce the new 3xx series of gpus the stock prices will shoot up again.

So what does stock-gaf say? y/n?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Cindres said:
I need advice, i have a friend who's wanting to enter the stock market, and he wants me to join. Basically he wants us each to put in £50 and buy shares of Nvidia, because he's convinced when they announce the new 3xx series of gpus the stock prices will shoot up again.

Isn't their Tegra platform like 100x more important than their enthusiast video cards?

Cindres

Apparently but they're releasing a new tegra platform in Q4 apparently, so that'd be a big boost too i imagine..

sk3

Banned
I spend in increments of $500. The exception is when I buy stock for my nephews, usually $100. But those are very long term buys, not looking to make a quick buck.

Cindres

Hmm, so what would be the recommended amount? I'd say it feels like a risk but i guess that's the whole point of playing the stock market.

Tarazet

Let me think aloud for a minute, GAF.

So I have three buy-write positions open. Two of the short calls were far out of the money anyway, and the stocks have gone significantly up. In this position, would it be a good idea to swap for a call at a higher strike price? It's solidifying losses in terms of the option premium, but it's also solidifying gains in the stock value, so in essence it's a neutral play that changes strategy.

Seeing how I don't want any of my options to get exercised, ever, and I just want to make my money off of time premiums, swapping a low strike short call with a low time premium for a high strike short call with a higher time premium appears to make sense. So I'm going to crunch numbers.

I bought 200 shares of C and wrote 2 calls, $2.50 Jan 2011 against it. The time premium then was 0.52. Now it's 0.42, which means I've gained $20 worth of time premium. I can switch to higher strike calls which have a better time premium.

Scenario 1: Keep Jan 2011 $2.50 calls (currently 2.66, I sold short at 2.12)
Scenario 2: Swap for Jan 2011 $5.00 calls (currently 1.48)
Scenario 3: Swap for Jan 2011 $7.50 calls (currently 0.88)

For ease of math, I'll say that the swap to Scenario 2 will cost me $250 and the swap to Scenario 3 will cost me $400. I'll list the total amount of money I will get at the end, minus the charge I'm taking to take a loss and swap options, at each potential closing price.

Stock closes at $0.

Scenario 1: $424
Scenario 2: $46
Scenario 3: -$224

Stock closes at $3.

Scenario 1: $924
Scenario 2: $646
Scenario 3: $376

Stock closes at $6.

Scenario 2: $1046
Scenario 3: $976

Stock closes at $9.

Scenario 2: $1046
Scenario 3: $1276

Sounds like I should stick with the position I've got. My gains are capped at 9%, but my potential losses are much less. If I get the $7.50 calls and Citigroup goes under, then I will have paid extra to lose more money. And the potential gains are not enticing enough to want to take on the downside risk.

OK. Carry on.

Tarazet

Now I want to do the same exercise for UNG. I have actually gained money on the option I have against it, so if I'm feeling super bearish, I can short it some more. Let's see what will happen at various strike prices. Shares are currently at about $9.

Scenario 1 (current): 100 shares long, 1 $14 Jan 2011 call short (1.50, sold for 3.30)
Scenario 2: Swap call for $10 Jan 2011 call (2.25) - $50 extra cash
Scenario 3: Swap call for $5 Jan 2011 call (4.50) - $270 extra cash

Closing price $5:

Scenario 1: $830
Scenario 2: $880
Scenario 3: $1100

Closing price $10:

Scenario 1: $1330
Scenario 2: $1380

Closing price $15:

Scenario 1: $1730
Scenario 2: $1380

So there's really no situation that can be improved by Scenario 2, and with a $1340 stock basis, Scenario 3 ensures that I lose money no matter what happens. The only way I can make it worthwhile for me is to hold and wait for natural gas prices to come back up.

Zyzyxxz

Cindres said:

LOL.

He's better off starting a Lemonade stand. Sorry to be so harsh but if you're friend was smart enough to turn 50 into 100 and then that 100 into 200 in the short term he would be smart enough to know he should be playing with more money.

I'd say 500 minimum, 1000 recommended to start.

Right now I'm playing with 16,000 and barely making any return on the short term so if he wants some decent money he should start doing his homework.

Ovid

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Citigroup (C Quote) shareholders approved the final step allowing it to complete its preferred-to-common stock exchange, ending a six-month ordeal that wreaked havoc on the stock's trading.

Citi said in a release Thursday that shareholders agreed to a proposal that will allow the company to increase the number of authorized shares of common stock to 60 billion, up from 15 billion. The move will give the company room to maneuver above its current number of shares outstanding as it completes the exchange, which was first announced in February.

The increase in shares of common stock allows Citi to complete its exchange offer with the U.S. government and certain private holders by swapping the interim securities they received on July 23 for common stock. The conversion will be effective at the close of business on Sept. 10, Citi says.

Citi said that the warrants associated with purchasing shares of Citi common stock issued on July 23 to the U.S. government and certain private holders have become "null and void."

The upcoming completion of the exchange "marks the end of a lengthy, complex process and effectively puts [Citi] in a solid capital position," writes Bank of America Merrill Lynch analyst Guy Moszkowski in a note. It provides Citi "with ample room to absorb future losses, even in our worst-case scenario."

While third-quarter earnings results "will include plenty [of] conversion-related noise, we continue to find the risk/reward in [Citi] attractive," he adds. Moszkowski rates the company with a buy

http://www.thestreet.com

If you want to own Citi, buy the preferred.

Zyzyxxz

tarius1210 said:
Are you still holding Ford?

Unfortunately I had to eat my losses, sold out on Tuesday because I was expecting it to hit over 8 but the sales numbers were good and not phenomenal.

The fucking wall street analyst screwed things up by setting expectations to 33% sales increase over last year in August and it only rose 17%.

How the hell did they think it was gonna raise 33% when the program had limited cash! Also the pullback in China didn't help either. I feel the Wall St guys were propping it higher just to let it fall so they could get in on it.

Either way I jumped out since I feel this was the only chance for it to get near $9 again for a while. If it goes under $7 again I may go back in but right now Fannie Mae is looking like a very good short term return. I only bought 2000 shares of it but I'm thinking I should have bought a couple thousand more.

tarius1210 said:
http://www.thestreet.com

If you want to own Citi, buy the preferred.

so does this mean the stock price will be diluted? Also this should mean there probably won't be a reverse stock split right?

Zyzyxxz

tarius1210 said:
The article also mentioned that shareholders voted to allow the board to do a 1:7 reverse split.

Oooh I'm so excited! I hope this will follow a similar price pattern to what happened with the AIG reverse split.

RSTEIN

Cindres said:

It's great that you have an interest in the stock market. Hopefully your first investment will start you on a long and fulfilling life of saving and investing.

There isn't really a right or wrong starting amount. Jesse Livermore went to Wall Street with $1,500 (now about $15,000). He parlayed that into an immense fortune. Warren Buffett invested $100 (or thereabouts) with his sister in his first stock. His education started there and now he has $30 billion. The important thing is that you're learning.

However, beyond a learning experience, 50 pounds (or $81) simply isn't enough to really do anything. How much are your transaction fees? Taxes? If the stock goes up 30% you're looking at a $15 gross gain. Take away commissions, account fees, and taxes and it's going to be a waste of time (well, even the gross gain is a waste of time).

One option may be to start with a play money account to learn how it all works. This will wet your whistle and start the learning process. Then you can throw a couple hundred or so in a real account and start slowly. Commit to contributing to this account monthly (even a hundred or so). Then after a year or so you'll have over $1,000. Then the next year you'll have over $2,000. Then by age 60 you'll be a millionaire.

The other thing I'd like to address is your investment thesis. Again, it's great that you're learning and using your knowledge of the products you use every day to make investments. The only issue is this: everyone KNOWS that Nvidia is releasing new chips. They know that after the new chips are announced more new chips will follow. And so on and so on. Unfortunately EVERYONE knows at minimum what you know and a large percentage of people know much more (e.g. selling price, gross margin, expected sales figures, etc. etc.). Wall St. is about EXPECTATIONS. The stock market doesn't reflect the present: it is a discounting machine. It looks to the future. What I'm getting at is everyone knows that the new gpu is going to be released and therefore that knowledge is already reflected in the stock price. You need to be convinced that the new gpus are going to sell more than expectations or they have have some sort of large advantage over competitor products that nobody currently knows about. If your investment thesis is that Nvidia makes good products and is a great long term investment, then that's OK. Just don't expect some miracle 200% gain when their new chips are announced. In fact, there could be a sell off on the news!

Good luck!

Zyzyxxz

FNM going up again!

I'm already up 18% on the 2000 shares I loaded but I'm not too sure if there will be another dip or if I wanna load up more, for some reason I see it hitting 1.90's again

DogWelder

Zyzyxxz said:
FNM going up again!

I'm already up 18% on the 2000 shares I loaded but I'm not too sure if there will be another dip or if I wanna load up more, for some reason I see it hitting 1.90's again
Don't get too greedy, you don't want to play around with a volatile stock. I sold my shares a bit early (a day before the absolute peak) but it saved me a ton of money when it dipped earlier this week.

Zyzyxxz

esc said:
Don't get too greedy, you don't want to play around with a volatile stock. I sold my shares a bit early (a day before the absolute peak) but it saved me a ton of money when it dipped earlier this week.

yeah I sold out and made my money.

I'm expecting a dip again on monday or tuesday and I'll probably get back in with a much larger volumne. Either way I'm not expecting this stock to head into the sub $1 days again since there seems to be more confidence since its no longer in danger of being delisted.

Right now I'm hoping support will stay strong around 1.50.

Ovid

So what stocks are you guys currently holding? My long positions are:
CBAI, CAE, DELL, F, INTC, JBLU, MVL, NDN, PALM, SNDK and STEM.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I sold most of the positions that I was up at least 15%. Still up on CAE, DELL, INTC, JBLU, MVL (of course), SNDK and STEM.

My watch list (as of June 2nd):
HON, MU, JPM, CPB, KFT, T, PBG, PEP, AA, EMR, MHP, WAG, PAS, GSK, FOSL, SNE and WDC.
I never purchased any of the companies listed on my watch list.

I've been on a losing streak since purchasing and selling CIT for a loss back in July. I still kick myself for selling that stock. I could have made $10,000 if I just held it over that one weekend in July. Pretty much every purchase since then has put me in the red.

I'm thinking of taking a break from the markets until probably the end of the September when earnings season starts up again. We'll see.

Zyzyxxz

I'm holding... NOTHING!

Except GE, that's been a long for a while and I'm just waiting to break even on it.

I really start thinking I should hold onto Citi for long but I don't see it taking off yet since it's seeing resistance at $5

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm long on
CAE, HON, BHI, RTP, TTWO, ATVI, STP

I have nothing really on my watch list right now.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Long on AEO, SYNM, SIRI, YONG and my penny stock longshot is WNBD

Considering: EGMI, SWHC, NEP

louis89

Why is it that with some companies, say Avex:

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=TYO:7860

At the top it says

AVEX GROUP HOLDINGS INC. (Public, TYO:7860)

Which means that it's a public company and is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, with the symbol 7860 right? But it doesn't display any share price information, and under related companies, it says

AVEX GROUP HOLDINGS INC. Private

?

RSTEIN

Two weeks ago I had about 15 more names than I do now.

US
BK
BRCM
CL
CMCSA
COP
COST
EEB
ESRX
ETR
EWC
EXC
EXPD
FISV
GE
HNZ
LMT
MSFT
NYX
ORCL
PEP
PG
SIAL
SLE
SO
STLD
T
UUP
VZ
WAG
WMT
XLV
CAN
ACO
ARE
BMO
BNS
CIX
EMA
ENB
FM
IGM
LB
MG.A
NXY
RUS
SNC
THI
TRI
YRI

louis89

louis89 said:
Why is it that with some companies, say Avex:

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=TYO:7860

At the top it says

AVEX GROUP HOLDINGS INC. (Public, TYO:7860)

Which means that it's a public company and is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, with the symbol 7860 right? But it doesn't display any share price information, and under related companies, it says

AVEX GROUP HOLDINGS INC. Private

?
I know someone knows the answer to this!

RSTEIN

louis89 said:
I know someone knows the answer to this!

Here's some info

As for the second part of your question, under the public company umbrella are probably dozens of private companies set up for a number of reasons (mainly to reduce taxes).

For example:

Avex Group Holdings Inc. (Public)
Avex Group Holdings (Private): 99% ownership
Subsidiary 1 --> Holding company for business line X: 85% ownership
Subsidiary 2 --> Holding company for UK operations: 100% ownership
Subsidiary 3 --> Joint venture with US company: 65% ownership

So, as per the above, the public company owns 99% of the main operating company (with the original founder or another company owning the other one percent in this example). Under the private company, other private companies have been formed that control the various business units. This is a very typical Japanese structure.

louis89

I see. So why doesn't Google show the share information for the public umbrella company? I thought that had something to do with the public/private thing, but seeing as it's on FT.com is that just Google sucking?

avaya

So here is an amusing thought and a shocking indictment of equity valuations.

AAPL vs. MSFT

If you look at the price targets on AAPL of $200-250/share it will have a capitalisation of $180-220bn

Microsoft currently sits at $220bn with a possible peak of $250bn.

How is AAPL even remotely worth the same as a company whose pure FCFE is an order of magnitude greater and a stock which pays a dividend?

To that end how the hell is AAPL equity deemed more valuable than GOOG?

Crazy valuations, the premiums attached to AAPL are humourous to say the least.

I see CNBC are finally interviewing Anglogold Ashanti's CEO. About 2 months late.

Ovid

I was looking at some charts over the weekend and noticed that gold started to take off when Buffett's op-ed piece was published in the New York Times.

avaya

tarius1210 said:
I was looking at some charts over the weekend and noticed that gold started to take off when Buffett's op-ed piece was published in the New York Times.

The smart money was in gold in Q1 of this year

33bjrkj.jpg

Top Bottom