• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Zyzyxxz

Ether_Snake said:
BIDU timbers down 15% in AH on poor outlook.

oh shit I've been waiting to get back in below 400 but unfortunately that would require me to give up some of my longs for a short period...

Blackface

Banned
About to get into trading, just reading as much as I can atm. In the Op you say you are Canadian, and don't have many options for online trading.

We have a few, QuestTrader being the most highly ranked.

Is the OP old?

Tarazet

Question for fellow options traders. Let's say you want to buy stock via options plays. Would you prefer to write a short-term, cash-secured put, or go long on a long-term call? I'm thinking that if I want to do this on a regular basis, I should do the latter so I don't get killed by the constant assignment fees. It would also seal up my position without tying up a lot of money. But on the other hand, getting the stock earlier means I get a constant cash flow from writing options, and I'm making money off the play instead of spending it.

Ovid

Tarazet said:
Balance sheet looks good, dividend is healthy. Stock price looks a bit bubbly, like everything does now.
You think the stock price is bubbly? I tend to look at the price of a stock (a quality stock) prior to the financial crisis. So that would be around Summer '07. However, you can say that the market was kind of inflated even back then.
t9bh48.jpg

The price of DEP reached its low in November '08 way before the March '09 lows. I can see it reaching the levels of its peak in July 2007. It did bounce nicely off its MA back in July and could be on its way down but who knows.

But in any event, I like the yield (8%) and P/E (9), plus the stock doesn't look extremely erratic. Like you mentioned before, their balance sheet is clean...but more importantly (well at least to me) is the company's liquidity (cash flow).

They report earnings tomorrow and it is the ex-dividend date as well. Analysts are looking for 33 cents.

avaya

tarius1210 said:
I don't think anyone here does forex trading here, right?

Shame, there is no such thing as insider trading in FX, the amount of manipulation that goes unoticed is amazing.

Ovid

avaya said:
Shame, there is no such thing as insider trading in FX, the amount of manipulation that goes unoticed is amazing.
You have to have ton a cash to make money in FX trading.

Ovid

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Duncan Energy Partners L.P. (NYSE: DEP - News) today announced its financial and operating results for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2009. The partnership reported a 134 percent increase in net income attributable to Duncan Energy Partners of $24.8 million, or $0.43 per common unit on a fully diluted basis, for the third quarter of 2009 compared to $10.6 million, or $0.18 per common unit on a fully diluted basis, for the third quarter of 2008. The primary reason for the quarter-to-quarter increase in net income attributable to Duncan Energy Partners was earnings of $15.7 million from ownership interests in midstream businesses DEP acquired from Enterprise Products Partners L.P. (“Enterprise”) in December 2008 (the “DEP II Midstream Businesses”). The partnership’s share of the distributable cash flow of its operating subsidiaries increased to $34.6 million for the third quarter of 2009 from $7.6 million for the third quarter of 2008, primarily due to its $21.6 million share of distributable cash flow from the DEP II Midstream Businesses. This is the third consecutive quarter that Duncan Energy Partners has received this level of cash distributions from the DEP II Midstream Businesses, and based on the partnership’s current level of ownership and the operating results of these businesses, it expects to receive at least $22 million from these businesses each quarter.

On October 15, 2009, the Board of Directors of Duncan Energy Partners’ general partner declared an increase in the quarterly cash distribution rate payable to partners with respect to the third quarter of 2009 to $0.44 per common unit, or $1.76 per unit on an annualized basis. This represents a 4.8 percent increase over the $0.42 per unit that was paid with respect to the third quarter of 2008. The partnership’s share of distributable cash flow for the third quarter of 2009 provides approximately 1.4 times coverage of the cash distribution to be paid to common unitholders on November 5, 2009. Distributable cash flow is a non-generally accepted accounting principle (“non-GAAP”) financial measure that is defined and reconciled later in this press release to its most directly comparable U.S. GAAP financial measure, which is net cash flows provided by operating activities.

“Our strong financial results this quarter were driven by the earnings and cash flow generated by all of our businesses, which enabled our partnership to increase its cash distribution for the fourth consecutive quarter,” said Richard H. Bachmann, president and chief executive officer of the general partner of Duncan Energy Partners. “The additional cash flow expected from the Sherman Extension pipeline that began commercial operations this quarter will provide a solid base of cash flows to support future increases in cash distributions to our partners, while continuing to provide solid coverage from distributable cash flow.”
Great, now lets see how the stock moves.

avaya

Laughing all the way to the bank.

If you are short term trading you will find nothing better than commodities futures and FX derivatives especially if you like the fantasist technical analysis voodoo.

Derivatives are untouchable. Provided you know what you're getting yourself into.

Buying physical securities, there is only one method that works and that's Ben Graham's value style as showcased by Buffett-Munger.

Ovid

Yeah, pretty much everything I own was down at least 5%. Stocks are going down to pre-July levels again. I think I might sell most of positions again. This isn't looking good. Maybe the markets will regain some strength a week or two before Thanksgiving.

avaya said:
Laughing all the way to the bank.

If you are short term trading you will find nothing better than commodities futures and FX derivatives especially if you like the fantasist technical analysis voodoo.

Derivatives are untouchable. Provided you know what you're getting yourself into.

Buying physical securities, there is only one method that works and that's Ben Graham's value style as showcased by Buffett-Munger.
That's not true. You can make a ton of money with any instrument. People make a killing swing trading securities as well (200%+ a year)>

vpance

Huge volatility lately. Some charts I'm looking at point to a rise in Nov with more downside next week first. But if the USD can break out of the 76 range then it should be a clearer signal of what's to come (ie. down market).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Man I did good selling RTP at 200:D

But for everything else... :(

What tools/website do you guys use to keep track of your stocks? My online broker unfortunately always logs me out after a short period of time.

Tarazet

Gummifaust said:
What tools/website do you guys use to keep track of your stocks? My online broker unfortunately always logs me out after a short period of time.

If you leave a Google Finance window open while you do other things, it'll run a real-time ticker in your Start bar.

Biff

Zyzyxxz said:
CIT filed for bankruptcy protection.

And thus I get burned.
Sorry to hear.

Are you going to dump it on the NYSE or hold until the pinks? Manipulation may be in your favour once it goes OTC, as happened with GM when it transitioned to GMGMQ.

Zyzyxxz

ChefRamsay said:
Sorry to hear.

Are you going to dump it on the NYSE or hold until the pinks? Manipulation may be in your favour once it goes OTC, as happened with GM when it transitioned to GMGMQ.

I sold out on the open and lost 66% but luckily it was a small side investing since I just had extra cash in my account.

Damn my portfolio was valued up to almost $17K again and now I'm back down to the $14k.

I'll see what happens on the OTC but then again I'm kinda wary on how to play OTC stocks.

Ovid

Zyzyxxz said:
I sold out on the open and lost 66% but luckily it was a small side investing since I just had extra cash in my account.

Damn my portfolio was valued up to almost $17K again and now I'm back down to the $14k.

I'll see what happens on the OTC but then again I'm kinda wary on how to play OTC stocks.
When did you purchase CIT?

ChefRamsay said:
Sorry to hear.

I agree. You might not even have to wait until it goes on pink sheets. That stock might be manipulated as early as this evening (AH).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ATVI down 4%. Why?

China clamps down on Activision's top online game

A Chinese regulator has suspended approval for NetEase.com Inc (NTES.O) to operate Activision Blizzard's (ATVI.O) World of Warcraft online game, putting the future of the recently-launched and high-profile title in question in China.

Citing "gross violations" of regulations, the General Administration of Press and Publication said it had halted and returned NetEase's application to operate "Burning Crusades" -- the latest version of the game licensed from Activision.

The regulatory body posted a statement on its Web site that demanded the NetEase affiliate company that operates World of Warcraft to suspend charging users to play the game, and disallow new account registrations.

Blergh

Meanwhile, UBI shares keep tumbling. They fell with the markets a year ago, didn't rise when everyone did, and now fall with the markets again. Terrible. To think it was worth over three times as much. Hopefully AC2 will do well.

Zyzyxxz

tarius1210 said:
When did you purchase CIT?

I agree. You might not even have to wait until it goes on pink sheets. That stock might be manipulated as early as this evening (AH).

I got in at around 1.10 with luckily only 750 shares.

Right now I've been losing bad on Fannie and Freddie.

Recently I got in with BYD automotive at under 9 and got out once it hit 11.50 ish.

If I can gain a bit with my Baidu shares I'm getting back into BYD since its back in teh 8-9 range.

Tarazet

Penny Pilot Program? Well, works for me, now I can bid on UNG options in penny increments on E*Trade.. that ought to help me out a lot.

Tarazet

I put together a spreadsheet showing the potential returns you can get with buy/write positions. I do, however, have some things to point out before I share it.

- I put the premium received as the midpoint of the buy/ask when I was checking it today. The actual price you can sell your options for will vary enormously depending on a variety of market factors.

- Commission rates are based on E*Trade's standard customer trading rates. If you trade frequently, have large asset holdings or use a different broker, your commission structure may be very different.

- The rate of return will be tempered by variation in the stock price. If it goes up higher than the strike price, you will get the exercise return rate and no more; if it goes lower than when you bought it, then the return you get from writing the options may not cover the loss, especially if you are writing short-term options. Shorter terms produce more attractive return profiles at significantly greater risk. I've learned this the hard way with UNG. However, the upside risk is theoretically less with short-term options just because the stock has less time to soar to the heavens and leave you behind.

- For the Nov 09 options, the limitation here is that there are only 12 options cycles in a year; so the annualized return rate is correct, but only for 204 days out of the year if you always buy 17 days from expiration. This calendar limitation will have the same impact, to a lesser extent, to the return rate of all the positions listed.

- The dividend rate depends on actually holding the shares on the ex-dividend date. If the buyer of the call is a dick and exercises the option before the ex-dividend date, buying your shares, then you can lose the dividend. This is less of a risk with longer-term options.

- I included BRK.B (Berkshire Hathaway) just for giggles. You would need $1.7M to be able to write the positions I'm including; I put it on the list just to illustrate the returns you get with more rarefied companies. BRK.A does not have options associated with it, by the way.

So with that large amount of fine print out of the way, here you go. I made this file in Excel, so the formulas didn't transfer over to Google. If you want to check my math or run your choice of stocks through it, send me a PM.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkjAeRFe1HKNdHMzSjc2cVF6U3RBWG95ejR5NUxWWVE&hl=en

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Baker Hughes net income falls 87%
Down almost 6% today:|

ATVI in the 10$ range, getting sued again, Who isn't suing them? Someone's bound to win eventually. Plus, they are in so much shit if things get fixed for WoW in China. Bobby Kotick is really a terrible CEO. ATVI's recent success has nothing at all to do with its management, quite the opposite, anything done by the management turns to shit.

Rocksteady33

I'm trying to do a homework assignment and I have to look at a company and its competitors and how they have done over the last 12 or so years. My teacher said total return to shareholders would be a good measure. I want to show this in a graphical form and he suggested MorningStar.com but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Does anyone know a good way to generate graphs based on total return to shareholders Southwest Airlines?

Gallbaro

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
I'm trying to do a homework assignment and I have to look at a company and its competitors and how they have done over the last 12 or so years. My teacher said total return to shareholders would be a good measure. I want to show this in a graphical form and he suggested MorningStar.com but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Does anyone know a good way to generate graphs based on total return to shareholders Southwest Airlines?

Excel has several stock pricing functions.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
EA laying off 1500 people more. I still own my ATVI and TTWO shares, both in the green at least.

I hope AC2 will do well. I'm afraid the sales won't be as high as AC1 even if the game is great, because of how crowded 2010 will be, effectively eating away at its potential 2010 sales:|

Ovid

Brian Farrell (CEO) is suppose to make a presentation to investors at the BMO Capital Markets Digital Entertainment Conference this afternoon.

Top Bottom