• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ether_Snake said:
Crash and burn!

You can't keep COOL down. Rise to the heavens!

On a different note... I'm looking into purchasing my first house soon. What do you guys think of the housing market at the moment? It is still incredibly "low" compared to the 2006 highs, so to me, it seems a good time to buy. I'd be living at this location for at least 5 years, but more likely about 10. I'm not expecting to make a killing off of selling it in 5-10 years, but I am expecting property values across to board to regain somewhat, especially considering I'd be in a "good neighborhood" near a large university in a town that hasn't been demolished as far as unemployment is concerned.

Najaf

I just dumped all my COOL at 2.54, or just over a 75% return.
Bought in early February

She was good to me, but its time we went our separate ways. Sure the sex has been great the past few days, but I have a feeling that some ugly hormones are about to rear their heads. I have now passed her on to someone with more faith. Its been a fun ride COOL.

*goes to scour the future prospects

Soka said:
On a different note... I'm looking into purchasing my first house soon. What do you guys think of the housing market at the moment? It is still incredibly "low" compared to the 2006 highs, so to me, it seems a good time to buy. I'd be living at this location for at least 5 years, but more likely about 10. I'm not expecting to make a killing off of selling it in 5-10 years, but I am expecting property values across to board to regain somewhat, especially considering I'd be in a "good neighborhood" near a large university in a town that hasn't been demolished as far as unemployment is concerned.

What city/state? That makes a big difference.

Najaf

The good ol' Michael Pachter has weighed in on the current COOL situation:

According to analyst Michael Pachter at Wedbush Morgan, Majesco (NASDAQ:COOL) had a good quarter. However, the company’s future game lineup is unclear and, as usual, there’s not much long term visibility.

Here’s Pachter’s bullet points for a recap of Majesco’s earnings announcement:

Strong Q1 results on Zumba strength.

The company raised FY:11 guidance for revenue to $100 – 110 million from $85 — 90 million, and for EPS to $0.20 — 0.25 from $0.06 — 0.10.

We are raising our FY:11 estimates for revenue to $110 million from $95 million, and for EPS to $0.25 from $0.11 to reflect raised guidance.

Majesco had a strong Q1, but an unclear release slate for the remainder of the year and continued weakness in the Wii and DS markets may temper growth in future periods (similar to FY:10).

One big potential opportunity for the company is in social gaming.

We are increasingly positive that Majesco can deliver sustainable profits as its game lineup becomes more predictable and successful, but volatile financial performance remains an issue.

Maintaining our NEUTRAL rating, but raising our 12-month price target to $2.50 from $1.50, which reflects a forward P/E multiple of 10x our new FY:11 adjusted EPS estimate of $0.25.

Don’t get suckered into Majesco’s story. The company has a long history of destroying shareholder value and mismanaging their company.

link

Out of curiosity, who in here is still holding?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Are they making anything on smartphones? If not, unless they make a strong position early on DS3D, I wouldn't put much weight in the company long-term.

Najaf said:
What city/state? That makes a big difference.

Right around the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign.

As for COOL, I am holding long-term still. I bought them at around $1.00 in... I think mid-late 2008. I held through the sub $1.00 days some how, and don't see a reason to not hold in this (albeit likely temporary) above $2.00 era. I think they're still an attractive purchase for a large company interested in social gaming (aka, Activision will sooner or later decide to come around to the mobile/Facebook market) that jumps in "too late" and uses their war chest as a method to try to regain lost ground. Majesco is not the definitive social gaming video game company, that is clearly Zynga's crown, but Majesco has made great headway in the area and I expect them to continue to focus on it in the future.

So, I'm holding, either because they'll be bought out or because they'll see success in the social gaming market, or both. That, and I haven no better use for my money, although the idea of me purchasing a home now that the markets have gotten so high is a tempting idea.

Anno

Used the pullback today to add to my AMRC position. The stock has been horribly volatile as of late but I still think it's a solid play on energy efficiency and will be close to $20 sometime this year. Also looking long and hard at adding Wal-Mart to my long-term dividend portfolio at these levels.

Gallbaro

Banned
Soka said:
You can't keep COOL down. Rise to the heavens!

Nation wide home prices are still dramatically overpriced and have quite some way to go. Also do not think that the specific area matters either. Since 1631 real home prices in Amsterdam have grown at an average annualized rate of 0%.

Schiller is right about this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Soka said:
Right around the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign.

As for COOL, I am holding long-term still. I bought them at around $1.00 in... I think mid-late 2008. I held through the sub $1.00 days some how, and don't see a reason to not hold in this (albeit likely temporary) above $2.00 era. I think they're still an attractive purchase for a large company interested in social gaming (aka, Activision will sooner or later decide to come around to the mobile/Facebook market) that jumps in "too late" and uses their war chest as a method to try to regain lost ground. Majesco is not the definitive social gaming video game company, that is clearly Zynga's crown, but Majesco has made great headway in the area and I expect them to continue to focus on it in the future.

So, I'm holding, either because they'll be bought out or because they'll see success in the social gaming market, or both. That, and I haven no better use for my money, although the idea of me purchasing a home now that the markets have gotten so high is a tempting idea.

But what do they make on smartphones? Being a successful company on the Wii and DS is different than doing the same on Facebook/AppStore.

edit: Oil prices, ME unrest, inflation in China, and now a fucking giant Earthquake. Markets tanking in Asia.

Gallbaro said:
Nation wide home prices are still dramatically overpriced and have quite some way to go. Also do not think that the specific area matters either. Since 1631 real home prices in Amsterdam have grown at an average annualized rate of 0%.

Schiller is right about this.

Schiller? Thanks for your input, it appears there is more I need to look into about this.

I'm surprised the markets are up today. I'd figure the tsunami/quake would hurt things more. COOL is continuing its stupid rise. Also, COOL has Facebook presence at the minimum, with some 750,000 "active users" for their Cooking Mama Friends Cafe game. Not nearly what Zynga has accomplished, but not negligible either. Cellphone-wise, they do have Bananagrams and a Mama game, but I believe those are a bit older.

Also, Zumba just posted ~300K sales for February... I'm expecting the legs on that to be decent, so their next quarter earnings will likely trump earnings from the same quarter last year, if only for Zumba alone. I'll be watching the monthly NPD for continued Zumba success. That is their cash cow right now, something extraordinary that I don't expect them to repeat anytime soon... so, I may end up selling after this following quarter's earnings release (unless, of course, Zumba keeps charting into 2 earnings quarters from now).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
As someone who is not invested at all in the stock market, is there any general broad generalizations to make from how the earthquake will impact certain stocks in certain areas?

Anno

Hazaro said:
As someone who is not invested at all in the stock market, is there any general broad generalizations to make from how the earthquake will impact certain stocks in certain areas?

I'm not sure that you could predict that with any real accuracy. The exception might be if the reactor over there can't get cooled in time and melts down or something else crazy happens. In that case I wouldn't be surprised to see the power companies over here that deploy much of our nuke fleet (Exelon especially, also Duke I think?) get hit.

My guess is that it's just another straw on the camel's back along with oil prices, Middle East turmoil and Eurozone debt problems.

One could anticipate companies involved in lumber, steel, or anything relating to construction may actually benefit from this disaster. It's sort of a sad way to look at things, but natural disasters can be excellent business for construction companies.

Gallbaro

Banned
Well, as a country with minimal resource and massive capital loss, the amount of new capital they will need to import with a dramatic drop in exports should devalue the Yen significantly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I would presume that whatever Japan usually exports will go up in price?

Anno

I have a feeling this isn't exactly how they wanted to devalue the yen vs. other major currencies. It seemed remarkably resilient given the damage, though. Next week will probably tell us more as we learn the full extent of the damage.

Ether_Snake said:
WTF

Japan Bonds Rise After 8.9 Magnitude Earthquake, Stocks Fall

Oil Tumbles, Yen Rallies on Japan Quake; Stocks in U.S. Rise

Why the fuck would bonds and the yen go up?

Proof that AIs are doing the bulk of trades on the markets, and they obviously have some difficulty interpreting headlines!

It's due to the expected "GDP boost" from the eventual reconstruction projects.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I guess we can confirm that destruction is always great for the economy uh? Economic recovery started in the US on the week of the Iraq invasion (check the DOW chart).

BTW anyone has a good book to recommend for value investing? The Intelligent Investor?

Anno

Yep. Graham is still the man.

The Ultimate Dividend Playbook by Josh Peters is a good resource if you share my affinity for dividend paying and dividend growing stocks.

Cloudy

Banned
ipad 2 seems to be a hit. I was at Bestbuy on Friday and it was no less than 200 people and maybe 60 got turned away. I bought more AAPL on the dip this week, what do you guys think it'll do next week?

Cloudy said:
ipad 2 seems to be a hit. I was at Bestbuy on Friday and it was no less than 200 people and maybe 60 got turned away. I bought more AAPL on the dip this week, what do you guys think it'll do next week?

To me AAPL looks pretty expensive right now. I'm not buying at these prices.

Anno

I'm not really sure if I'd call it too overvalued. Stripping out cash it's trading at about 18x TTM earnings, which I think is pretty close to market multiple. Using a mean estimate for FY2011 it's only running about 14x. So I don't really think of it as either cheap or expensive. It's definitely a momentum play, though, and I don't see what's going to kill that momentum at this point. Until they botch a quarter or a product I think they'll continue strong. Jobs's health is also a risk, as is just a general pullback in the market.

I'm looking for more value-oriented plays like good ol' Microsoft. Taking cash out there has it trading at barely 9x next years estimates. For as much hate as Microsoft gets they still have incredible cash flow and a fortress of a balance sheet. They deserve to trade at a higher multiple than regulated utilities, no matter how many snarky comments compare the two.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You can make money with MSFT easily on a short term if you buy low and sell high. The stock is always going up and down in the same price range.

BTW anyone knows how I could get an idea of the economy situation in Montreal? I can't get any serious analysis of the situation as a whole. People have been saying house prices would crash because of how much they have risen for years, and it's still not happening. Rising interest rates and taxes could burn a few people for sure, but I have no way of knowing if we are in fact seeing a lot of people buying houses they can't afford or not.

I'd hate to buy now and see the housing market tank for years to come.

How stupid would it be for me to keep on accumulating money for an ever bigger down-payment for the day when the housing market does tank? Or is that risky and I'm better off buying now?

You can see housing prices over the years for Canadian cities on this chart: http://www.chpc.biz/Major_Cities_Chart.htm

Montreal has rarely suffered any sort of downturn in the housing market. So maybe I'm better off buying now regardless? Prices did go up dramatically over the last 10 years, but maybe it was more of an adjustment than an over-valuation?

Bank of Montreal said we were nearing bubble territory prices last week, but that is Canada as a whole: http://blogs.marketwatch.com/canada...adas-housing-prices-nearing-bubble-territory/

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow

Nikkei -565.97 (-5.52%)
TOPIX -66.73 (-7.29%)
Hang Seng -365.11 (-1.55%)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
But all reports on Bloomberg are optimist, they barely mention the drop.

Yen is rising btw. Anyone care to explain why the Yen would rise? Isn't the government going to print money to rebuild?

They seem to say on Bloomberg that the rest of the world is in bigger problems so investors are still using the Yen as a safe haven. I guess it's not wrong, but I would have expected the Yen's rise to slow a bit.

edit: oh
The yen typically strengthens in times of political, financial and economic turmoil. Japan’s trade surplus makes the currency attractive because it means the nation doesn’t have to rely on overseas lenders. The currency also may strengthen insurance companies and investors bring back cash held overseas to pay for damages, according to Mansoor Mohi-uddin, the Singapore-based head of global currency strategy at UBS AG.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nikkei down another 6%.

Should oil prices really go down? I think the lessened attention paid to the middle east situation right now might allow governments to crackdown harder on protesters, which might actually worsen things because they might fight back twice as hard.

And aren't we likely to see prices of electronics and cars rise, or is most stuff done outside Japan now?

And join the game on investopedia! The more the merrier!

dudeworld

I've been shorting the US/Can markets for a while now excepting the bubble to burst. Today was a good day for me until the last hour or so of trading. Anyone in the investment simulator competition who can see my canadian stocks, I was up almost 6k in that until the last hour or so lol

Cloudy said:

Not necessarily. Investors taking their money out of Japan need to put it somewhere else.

It would make sense to take money from Toyota and put it into Ford for example. Toyota will have serious supply problems in the next few months, and enormous demand problems in Japan. Ford can swoop in and fill up some of that market, for example.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dudeworld said:
I've been shorting the US/Can markets for a while now excepting the bubble to burst. Today was a good day for me until the last hour or so of trading. Anyone in the investment simulator competition who can see my canadian stocks, I was up almost 6k in that until the last hour or so lol

Yeah I've been watching you. I'm shorting too, but I'm also shorting oil because I think the unrest in the middle east will get bad enough to reserve the drop.

In real life, I am fucking pissed off for not having sold everything last week. I am back on the waiting game, unable to use my money for my downpayment until stocks rise again. Fuck.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nikkei and Topix up 5%.

On the investopedia game I sold my short position for the DOW and S&P. I still own DIG and GLD, I expect markets to be up at least slightly tomorrow in the US so I might just end up tracking the DOW.

I should have been playing with fewer stocks instead of buying so many different things right away.

dudeworld

if you're wondering why I was up like 25% in one day, that was because the nat gas stock I had did a reverse split and for some reason they didn't cut my shares in half. Looks like they've corrected it now

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dudeworld said:
if you're wondering why I was up like 25% in one day, that was because the nat gas stock I had did a reverse split and for some reason they didn't cut my shares in half. Looks like they've corrected it now

It still says you are up 26%. I guess the stats don't update until markets open? How much do you end up at then?

dudeworld

If you click on my name in the rankings and look at my portfolio, it should say I'm down 19% and my current USD total is $101,308. It was $127,000 earlier today

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oh I see.

BTW can we change the rules to be able to buy penny stocks? I bought Moly Mines but can't buy more on the dip because it's now below 1$! Not fair. Otherwise I guess I'll sell it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dudeworld: Can I place an order after hours for market opening? I placed one yesterday and just realized it never went through, yet it was at market price.

And yeah I got some AAPL too, in the game:p

Topix up 6%

edit: now down 4%...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tarius1210 said:
You can only place orders when the markets are open on Investopedia.

But it says it will go through when markets open...

Smokey

i would like to make money in the stock market. i've got more money left over after paying for what i need than i know what to do with, and i think it's time i got into the market..

where can i go to learn?! books, websites, anything?

Top Bottom