• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ovid

After reading this on Marketwatch.com I decided I'm gonna add Sandisk to my purchases next week:

SanDisk Corp.

While not showing significant underperformance versus the Nasdaq, SanDisk (SNDK 45.51, -0.58, -1.26%)  is still trading at just a shade over two times net cash (and investments). Given the strength in hand-held and ever-shrinking form factor devices, end markets should continue to grow for some time. Moreover, substantial growth exists as SSD pricing continues to decline and reach broad acceptance in consumer as well as enterprise markets. At a forward PE of 10 this stock seems quite cheap. However, after considering net cash, that ratio is actually just 5 and this is simply stunning, and thus makes my “insanely cheap” list.

We all know SSD is where it's at in the next five years. BUY and HOLD.

Sanky Panky said:
As a Forex trader, no, $500 into millions is not sustainable unless you have decades to play around with. That's not to say that you can't make 300% returns per year with a good system and the market gods on your side...

Just had a couple more questions. Is it also very unlikely to turn $500 into over a hundred thousand using these trading programs? The problem I find I am having is that I can't seem to get a solid piece of information that shows this will not work. But it has never seemed logical that by simply learning how to use these trading apps without any prior experience or knowledge one can get rich. Anyway, I am of course aware I am correct on this basis, but lack the technical side.

Scarecrow

Noobie question: Is there a life to date type of chart I can find on stocks that gives me ziggity zag graphs for years at a time with the ability to zoom in for more detail time-wise? Like, can I get a multi-year graph for, say, Microsoft stock, and see how they do by month/day/etc?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Scarecrow said:
Noobie question: Is there a life to date type of chart I can find on stocks that gives me ziggity zag graphs for years at a time with the ability to zoom in for more detail time-wise? Like, can I get a multi-year graph for, say, Microsoft stock, and see how they do by month/day/etc?

Google Finance, or Yahoo Finance, etc..

tarius1210 said:
After reading this on Marketwatch.com I decided I'm gonna add Sandisk to my purchases next week:

Yeah looking at where they stand in relation to their all-time high, -25%, could be a good buy. But if I look at their last high, it's a 14% drop. I usually want 20% drop from previous high before buying.

Can't buy anything though, gotta keep selling to have my cashdown:|

tarius1210 said:
Purchases for next week:

SIRI - Sirius Satellite Radio (adding shares)
VAW - Vanguard Materials ETF
VPU - Vanguard Utilities ETF

What do you guys do with your dividend payments? Do you automatically reinvest the funds?

I reinvest with my mutual funds, everything else I keep as cash and buy new stocks (or, occasionally, buy more into an existing stock). Since there is a relative safety in mutual funds, I am comfortable with letting the money invest itself. This arrangement has worked out well for me so far.

EDIT: Whoa, koam is posting? It must be celebrity-Jeopardy day in Stock-AGE!

EDIT 2: I'm in the process of buying a house right now, but once that clears and I start pulling in my big bucks (lol) from my grad school fellowship stipend, I am going to be purchasing some BUSE. Nothing is as attractive to me as a bank stock with a modest dividend that is off of its low, but well below its "average" high.

Roofy

what is everyone using to do their trading? I'm looking for a good service.

please list the pro's and con's of your suggestion :)

Gallbaro

Banned
tarius1210 said:

I agree, looks to be a great value, and the Q's and K's line up. To top it off Cramer said it was a dud, so great time to buy.

ManDudeChild said:
Just had a couple more questions. Is it also very unlikely to turn $500 into over a hundred thousand using these trading programs? The problem I find I am having is that I can't seem to get a solid piece of information that shows this will not work. But it has never seemed logical that by simply learning how to use these trading apps without any prior experience or knowledge one can get rich. Anyway, I am of course aware I am correct on this basis, but lack the technical side.

Three things:

1) You have to really understand what trading rules the programs use, first of all. In trading, past results are ABSOLUTELY NO indication of future performance unless the rules stand the test of time (more than 10 years of results is preferred). The back-testing might show a profit under some circumstances, which long-term (your $500 into hundreds of thousands) may not work.

2) Automatic programs have the benefit of taking out emotions out of trading, which trust me, is the number one issue why people blow up and lose money. The system can be the best system in the world, but the trader's personal issues can hamper his decision making. Fear, anger, excitement, joy... every human emotion possible, is taken out with the use of a mechanical system.

3) Aside from a good system and lack of emotion, make sure you understand the risk management used in the system. Is there as set loss amount per trade? what percent of your account is that loss? When you do lose, do you lose big compared to how much you win? what percentage of trades are winners? You can win 7 times out of 10, but the 3 loses can wipe out anything you made. If you are risking 10% of your account per trade, 5 loosing trades in a row (remember anything can happen in the markets) will already wipe out half of your account. The system should mention how many bad trades in a row it experienced in back-testing.

A trading system can be very simple, and I would suggest developing your own (unless you can independently back-test the rules of these systems). If you want a good book, and like the mechanical approach to trading read Trend Following by Michael Covel.

Roofy said:
what is everyone using to do their trading? I'm looking for a good service.

please list the pro's and con's of your suggestion :)

I used to trade through Raymond James, but realized that they were demolishing me with transaction costs. I paid minimum $40 and upwards of $150 on some trades. I still have some stocks with them, but will be purchasing absolutely nothing else from them. They were very quick and overall I liked them, but again, too expensive for no reason.

I now use Vanguard. Using them gives you commission-free trading of their ETFs, which is a nice perk. In addition, your first 25 trades each year are only $7 each, 26 and beyond is $20 a trade. That's if you have less than $50,000 with them. Once you have over $50,000 in their accounts, you pay just $7 for all trades. The rate decreases from there at the $500,000 and $1,000,000 ranges.

Overall, they work pretty quickly as far as getting a trade to process. I'm not a day trader, though, so perhaps my opinion is skewed. When you begin to trade stocks with them, you put your money into one of their Money Market Funds as an intermediate from your personal bank account and the stock you want to purchase. It can take 5-10 days before that money is "cleared" to be used to purchase a stock, which can be frustrating I suspect for people wanting to make a quick purchase... but that's not who I am, so it doesn't bother me.

All in all, I'd say Vanguard is exactly what I need, but it might not be right for everyone. Worth a look though.

You know, I don't even care if COOL is going to pop some day, it's high on all sorts of crack/cocaine/meth/LSD right now. I'm just going along for the ride.

Also, to go along with my previous post, one reason I really like Vanguard is that it has no minimum trades per year. Etrade, last I looked, requires you to trade a certain amount or you're penalized, iirc. That's lame.

Ovid

Gallbaro said:
I agree, looks to be a great value, and the Q's and K's line up. To top it off Cramer said it was a dud, so great time to buy.
lol...sometimes he says dumb things.

Anno

Intel seems to be another tech giant priced like it'll never ever again grow earnings. A ~.8 PEG, ~9 forward PE with a 3.6% dividend and enough cash to pay off every liability on their balance sheet? I know Apple, Google, NetFlix and such are the new hotness, but this is getting ridiculous. INTC, CSCO and MSFT all seem like regulated utilities or companies on the verge of bankruptcy. It makes no sense. Not that I really care for now - my dividends are reinvesting nicely at least!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was looking at Cisco just a few minutes ago. No growth there over the long term. Was thinking of buying some in the Inestopedia game but I only have $1600 left:p I have money left in my CAD account but I don't know what to buy.

In real life, I have just decided against buying a condo. I'd love a nice condo with exposed concrete walls, wooden ceiling, all that good stuff, but it's just not a sound purchase for me at the moment. I am a single guy, I don't make 100K a year, so it's a luxury I cannot afford. I'm not interested in low-end condos either.

So I'm thinking of saving more money and buying a Duplex instead in maybe a year. I think people will be looking for this in the future, people will want a backyard and the possibility to play with the kids without having to ride a fucking elevator to go out, build a snowman in the backyard, swim in their pool, etc. Only thing I don't like the idea of is buying such a house in urban Montreal, it would probably be more affordable outside the city, and nicer and bigger. But I don't want to live outside Montreal. Unless I end up making the big bucks eventually then I can just buy my luxury condo on the top floor of a condo complex:D

But what does this mean for my investments? I am pulling back on investing more money in stocks for the year. I'll invest maybe a 20% of my savings in stocks, no more, and put the rest away for a bigger down payment. I think home prices will stabilize or fall, so I should be able to use this down payment for a better purchase a year from now.

Any idea what to invest in that would be safe to just keep money aside? CIGs have really low interest rates:| 1 year = 1.75%.

dudeworld

Ether_Snake said:
I was looking at Cisco just a few minutes ago. No growth there over the long term. Was thinking of buying some in the Inestopedia game but I only have $1600 left:p I have money left in my CAD account but I don't know what to buy.

In real life, I have just decided against buying a condo. I'd love a nice condo with exposed concrete walls, wooden ceiling, all that good stuff, but it's just not a sound purchase for me at the moment. I am a single guy, I don't make 100K a year, so it's a luxury I cannot afford. I'm not interested in low-end condos either.

So I'm thinking of saving more money and buying a Duplex instead in maybe a year. I think people will be looking for this in the future, people will want a backyard and the possibility to play with the kids without having to ride a fucking elevator to go out, build a snowman in the backyard, swim in their pool, etc. Only thing I don't like the idea of is buying such a house in urban Montreal, it would probably be more affordable outside the city, and nicer and bigger. But I don't want to live outside Montreal. Unless I end up making the big bucks eventually then I can just buy my luxury condo on the top floor of a condo complex:D

But what does this mean for my investments? I am pulling back on investing more money in stocks for the year. I'll invest maybe a 20% of my savings in stocks, no more, and put the rest away for a bigger down payment. I think home prices will stabilize or fall, so I should be able to use this down payment for a better purchase a year from now.

Any idea what to invest in that would be safe to just keep money aside? CIGs have really low interest rates:| 1 year = 1.75%.

House prices have been falling here in Edmonton these last couple quarters and I know that doesn't really say a whole lot for you in Toronto/Montreal, but it may be a sign as the housing market has been pretty ridiculous over here for the last few years.

btw how old are you?

ferr

How risky is all of this, seasoned traders? I'm saving up for a home, but in the meantime (2+ years) I don't want my money to rot in my checking account.. so I'm investing as much as I can (about half a month's pay into a new stock every month) until I'm ready to use it. So far the market has been extremely good, up a weighted 22% with 8 stocks in my portfolio. I've felt some stings already (bought ATVI literally 3 days before Guitar Hero was killed, bought Aflac a week before the earthquake).. but overall positive.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
dudeworld said:
House prices have been falling here in Edmonton these last couple quarters and I know that doesn't really say a whole lot for you in Toronto/Montreal, but it may be a sign as the housing market has been pretty ridiculous over here for the last few years.

btw how old are you?

I'm 28.

ferr said:
How risky is all of this, seasoned traders? I'm saving up for a home, but in the meantime (2+ years) I don't want my money to rot in my checking account.. so I'm investing as much as I can (about half a month's pay into a new stock every month) until I'm ready to use it. So far the market has been extremely good, up a weighted 22% with 8 stocks in my portfolio. I've felt some stings already (bought ATVI literally 3 days before Guitar Hero was killed, bought Aflac a week before the earthquake).. but overall positive.

Probably risky. Chances are you would have invested in anything and would have gotten similar results. People often get the impression they made good investments when in fact the markets rose as a whole.

ferr

Ether_Snake said:
Probably risky. Chances are you would have invested in anything and would have gotten similar results. People often get the impression they made good investments when in fact the markets rose as a whole.
Well I'm fine with that. In fact I invest in an S&P index to follow the growing market. My situation is that I invest in nothing at no risk, or invest in anything at [x] risk.. I would rather have my cash follow the market's growth than rot in my checking account, however I have little experience with a bad market. It would suck to be -25% in 3 years from some random bubble or recession.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Soka said:
You know, I don't even care if COOL is going to pop some day, it's high on all sorts of crack/cocaine/meth/LSD right now. I'm just going along for the ride.

Also, to go along with my previous post, one reason I really like Vanguard is that it has no minimum trades per year. Etrade, last I looked, requires you to trade a certain amount or you're penalized, iirc. That's lame.
Ok, so I had some stock in COOL (fake money), bought at like 2.20, bailed at 3.20
Now it's at like $4.00

I don't understand the stock market, it's going to dive crash soon right? RIGHT?

I'm going to short the shit outta it.

mike23

Sold all my shares in SSN today at $4. Paid $1.40 back in September.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out as my second stock ever. Too bad I didn't buy it at $1.10 in December.
Mostly I'm happy because I made enough to cover my rent over the summer, so now I don't have to get a crappy minimum wage job somewhere.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I got rid of GOOG today :(. I didn't want to, I have some emotional investments in the stock, but I haven't broke even with it yet, and this is a month long game, not a long haul investment.

Still, I think I am getting the hang of this, heck I was even in first place for a day or two. If all goes well, after today, I'm back up in first place no problem.

venne

ferr said:
Well I'm fine with that. In fact I invest in an S&P index to follow the growing market. My situation is that I invest in nothing at no risk, or invest in anything at [x] risk.. I would rather have my cash follow the market's growth than rot in my checking account, however I have little experience with a bad market. It would suck to be -25% in 3 years from some random bubble or recession.

You could always go for a rewards checking account if you want some decent interest and zero risk.

I'm with a local bank that pays out 3% if you meet minimum requirements (direct deposit, 12 debit card purchases, and one online bill pay). You can get higher other places, but I wanted to deal with someone local.

http://www.depositaccounts.com/checking/reward-checking-accounts.html

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
dave is ok said:
I'm joining the Investopedia game, even though I've never touched a stock in my life. Wish me luck

For some quick easy tips - remember this is a short game, not a long term investment, don't worry about investing in the slow and steady companies. Go for things you know always making ridiculous amounts of money - ie, Pharma/Oil companies in my case. Pharma treating me SUPER well.

Also, when you buy a stock, check to see what people are saying about it, and check it's history - if it looks like it's probably going to increase in the next little while, great grab, if it looks like it's peaking and about to drop, maybe avoid it.

edit: Also, I haven't touched stocks before this game, so take all my advice with a large grain of salt.

Hazaro said:
Ok, so I had some stock in COOL (fake money), bought at like 2.20, bailed at 3.20
Now it's at like $4.00

I don't understand the stock market, it's going to dive crash soon right? RIGHT?

I'm going to short the shit outta it.

COOL is a very volatile stock, but for some reason has been volatile in the green as of late. I'm not complaining about that, but I expect to see some 10-20% drops in any given day over the next month or two. Honestly though, Zumba is still selling relatively insanely high for a Majesco title, meaning their next quarter's earnings will demolish the same quarter from last year. The trick is deciding if that has already been calculated into the price or not.

Bishman

I really wish I had the money 2 years ago to invest in Netflix. It sucks being a poor college student. Did anyone invest in Netflix?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kinitari said:
I got rid of GOOG today :(. I didn't want to, I have some emotional investments in the stock, but I haven't broke even with it yet, and this is a month long game, not a long haul investment.

Still, I think I am getting the hang of this, heck I was even in first place for a day or two. If all goes well, after today, I'm back up in first place no problem.

Isn't the game ending in a few months?

Kinitari said:
For some quick easy tips - remember this is a short game, not a long term investment, don't worry about investing in the slow and steady companies. Go for things you know always making ridiculous amounts of money - ie, Pharma/Oil companies in my case. Pharma treating me SUPER well.

Also, when you buy a stock, check to see what people are saying about it, and check it's history - if it looks like it's probably going to increase in the next little while, great grab, if it looks like it's peaking and about to drop, maybe avoid it.

edit: Also, I haven't touched stocks before this game, so take all my advice with a large grain of salt.

Feel like a disclaimer is needed. It'll work for a game, but it's not smart investment strategy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ether_Snake said:

Quoting myself. Any ideas? I'm doing this because I don't want to sacrifice my downpayment in the stock market, I want to keep that money with 100% certainty until I need it. I'll invest maybe 20% of my savings in stocks, and my RRSP contributions remain unchanged.

rabhw

Ether_Snake said:
Quoting myself. Any ideas? I'm doing this because I don't want to sacrifice my downpayment in the stock market, I want to keep that money with 100% certainty until I need it. I'll invest maybe 20% of my savings in stocks, and my RRSP contributions remain unchanged.

I'm actually in a similar situation and have been refreshing this thread looking for some ideas.

I guess medium to low risk with as good a return as possible, if there is such a thing? :p

I'm quite new to stocks so any suggestions are welcome.

Gallbaro

Banned
rabhw said:
I'm actually in a similar situation and have been refreshing this thread looking for some ideas.

I guess medium to low risk with as good a return as possible, if there is such a thing? :p

I'm quite new to stocks so any suggestions are welcome.

You don't want stocks, you want high grade corporate bonds or your governments debt, maturing at your time horizon.

If you have to be in equities, buy MSFT. The under-performing risk-free investment.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gallbaro said:
You don't want stocks, you want high grade corporate bonds or your governments debt, maturing at your time horizon.

If you have to be in equities, buy MSFT. The under-performing risk-free investment.

But I'll be saving for one year or so. So the rates are pretty low.

BTW should we make a separate trade for the investopedia game? It can be confusing for some.

And look at that, I'm #4. But damnit you guys ahead have 4.8% to 8% returns! Gonna difficult to reach #3.

edit: separate thread lol. Maybe for the next game:)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fucking Monsanto. Down 4.5% today.

edit: BTW, I'm thinking of maybe selling TTWO. I don't know if I can risk waiting for a buyout, it might simply not happen in this economic situation. At least I got a nice 52% profit:)

Cloudy

Banned
Guys, what is the best ETF to get long oil? USO? I'd rather not go all in on one company's stock

Have you looked into MLPs?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sold TTWO at 15.81. 52% profit. Can't wait for them to be bought out without risking losing more, so I sold.

lolmark

I'm going to taking my first step into the stock trading game. I looked at a previous post regarding SSD technology. I've been looking at OCZ, but I can't tell if I should wait until the prices drop.

Any advice?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bought Expedia in the investopedia game some time ago, rose 10% today after they announced they would split TripAdvisor into a separate company. Sold, since it reached my target price.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow Dudeworld, nice comeback!

And I'm now #1 on the Canadian ranking:)

dudeworld

Ether_Snake said:
Wow Dudeworld, nice comeback!

And I'm now #1 on the Canadian ranking:)

hah thanks. IDK what they're doing to my canadian fund, but I'm supposed to have $111K, not $99K. It's messed up

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
dudeworld said:
hah thanks. IDK what they're doing to my canadian fund, but I'm supposed to have $111K, not $99K. It's messed up

I haven't really put effort into the Canadian side of the game, I should... especially considering I am Canadian.

But damn, I am doing way too good on the USD side, I am going to fall, and fall hard.

Still, 1st place for now! (I didn't realize this was going to run till July!)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What do you think about Exxon guys? I'm up 15% on them but the thing is since they are almost back up to their all time high, and since oil prices are as well, I feel that it's not going to go much higher than its previous high.

Anyone feels like me that higher oil prices will hit the economy in the sack and cause it fall again?

Ovid

Ether_Snake said:
What do you think about Exxon guys? I'm up 15% on them but the thing is since they are almost back up to their all time high, and since oil prices are as well, I feel that it's not going to go much higher than its previous high.

Anyone feels like me that higher oil prices will hit the economy in the sack and cause it fall again?
Lol...what makes you think oil price are gonna go down? From what you wrote, it sounds like you think prices will decrease because we're approaching where it peaked in the summer of '08.

Oil prices will continue to rise. Major economies are growing again, there's unrest in the Middle East, and were appoaching summer which means more cars on the road. HOLD Exxon.

Top Bottom