• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

LegoDad

Grr, the stupid game bought OCZ not at the right price I said buy at 7.50... which it is back to now.. So now I have to load up on extra shares to bring my price back down for when it goes back up, losing way too much because of that.. grrr

Ovid

Anno said:
In both cases the stocks seem very disconnected from the underlying companies which are both doing quite well. Since they both pay a decent-to-good dividend I don't have a problem waiting for the market to catch up. It is puzzling though.
I agree. That's why I've held both companies and never sold.

LegoDad

bob page said:
True, but I don't really except it to do worse anytime soon. It's finally profitable and they're getting more a more subscribers from deals with car companies and such.
yep, once people hear it, they want to keep it.

bob page

caliblue15 said:
Grr, the stupid game bought OCZ not at the right price I said buy at 7.50... which it is back to now.. So now I have to load up on extra shares to bring my price back down for when it goes back up, losing way too much because of that.. grrr
At least you didn't buy it yesterday morning after the good forecast reports thinking it would raise. I put in a trade for OCZ when it was $9.15 yesterday before the fraud news broke and it crashed literally 5 mins after that.

I was so depressed, lol.

LegoDad

bob page said:
At least you didn't buy it yesterday morning after the good forecast reports thinking it would raise. I put in a trade for OCZ when it was $9.15 yesterday before the fraud news broke and it crashed literally 5 mins after that.

I was so depressed, lol.

It was all fake though. Got it down to $7.83 a share, but already lost 6k in it. It'll rise again, Just got to wait it out.

bob page

caliblue15 said:
It was all fake though. Got it down to $7.83 a share, but already lost 6k in it. It'll rise again, Just got to wait it out.
Yeah, I didn't realize that and I panicked since people were saying it would tank further. I only lost about $50 but I was still pissed.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Random question from someone who's not exactly knowledgeable about all this economy stuff: What exactly does it mean when Fed is buying 600 billion worth of Treasuries? As far as I can tell, ever since they started doing that, the stock market has soared. Is it directly caused by Fed buying them, and does that mean there's a good chance things will go to hell when they stop in June?

LegoDad

Alright, time to take some risks, going to short sell my first stock, and buy way too much of a company who didn't live up to earnings. lol

bob page

Any thoughts on MU? I've been planning to invest in a chip manufacturer and they just partnered with INTC (which I was planning on investing in anyway).

Edit: decided to go for it, hopefully their earnings will be as good as everyone's saying next month.

Meier

I am back to even or thereabouts on Activision after holding for awhile. Should I just go ahead and sell it? It seems like regardless of how well each new CoD does, it's not getting much of a boost due to the fact that's already priced in. I thought with Cata and Blops, it'd jump a few bucks but no such (sustained) luck.

bob page

Meier said:
I am back to even or thereabouts on Activision after holding for awhile. Should I just go ahead and sell it? It seems like regardless of how well each new CoD does, it's not getting much of a boost due to the fact that's already priced in. I thought with Cata and Blops, it'd jump a few bucks but no such (sustained) luck.
I've been watching them over the past year and I think their glory days are pretty much over.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TTWO going up like crazy suddenly. I hope it's not buyout rumors, I sold recently:p

bob page

Ether_Snake said:
TTWO going up like crazy suddenly. I hope it's not buyout rumors, I sold recently:p
Yeah, I was just about to post that (up about 5%). I hear it's because Game Informer published an article about Activision buyout.

bob page said:
Yeah, I was just about to post that (up about 5%). I hear it's because Game Informer published an article about Activision buyout.

I'm seeing 6.8% hike. Cha-ching!
too bad I didn't invest real money

Meier

bob page said:
Hmm.. if ATVI were to buy them out, would it be wise to sit on my stock in you guys' opinion? It certainly would make the company's stock seem more appealing to me.

Ovid

bob page said:
Any thoughts on MU? I've been planning to invest in a chip manufacturer and they just partnered with INTC (which I was planning on investing in anyway).

Edit: decided to go for it, hopefully their earnings will be as good as everyone's saying next month.
Go with SNDK and/or INTC. SanDisk holds the patents and collects royalties from them. Intel always has solid products and always posts good numbers. You can't go wrong with them.

I see The Fed plans to keep interest rates at their current level. I don't see rates rising this year.

bob page

tarius1210 said:
Go with SNDK and/or INTC. SanDisk holds the patents and collects royalties from them. Intel always has solid products and always posts good numbers. You can't go wrong with them.
I chose MU because of some articles I read- supposedly their outlook is much better than Scandisk. I would have gone with Intel but my funds were a bit limited right now, so that'll have to wait.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
What do you people think Bernanke has to say? Would be fun if he just sits there for a while, maybe adjusts his tie, takes a sip of water, and then starts screaming IT'S ALL OVER SELL EVERYTHING. many lives would be ruined.

Ovid

bob page said:
I chose MU because of some articles I read- supposedly their outlook is much better than Scandisk. I would have gone with Intel but my funds were a bit limited right now, so that'll have to wait.
The article you read is all wrong. In what areas did the article say Micron will grow? Can you post a link?

Again, Micron is a good company but I really don't see how their future looks brighter than SanDisk's.

bob page

tarius1210 said:
The article you read is all wrong. In what areas did the article say Micron will grow? Can you post a link?

Again, Micron is a good company but I really don't see how their future looks brighter than SanDisk's.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/265...idden-value-in-intel-partnership?source=kizur
http://scroli.com/view-link.php?u=www.tech24.org/55591mu-bullish-with-buy-ratings.html
http://www.investingbywali.com/2011/04/technical-analysis-of-micron-technology/

I have no doubts ScanDisk is a worthwhile trade, but my experience with their products in the past hasn't been too great (so I'm going to avoid them).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
bob page said:

God damnit fuck that better not be true. I sold yet I was sure they would get bought out. At least I also sold ATVI, which is bound to go down.

BTW Amazon is up 17% today. My shares on the Investopedia game automatically sold at 189. Fuck. Didn't expect it to go up so much so quickly.

Flo_Evans

I want to join the fun... what do you guys use/recommend? Ameritrade? sharebuilder? etrade?

Mostly for sticking some "fun money" in the market and playing around.

unomas

Banned
Bernanke give his little press conference and already Gold and Silver have taken off. Gold at an all time high! Keep inflating Ben ;)

bob page

Flo_Evans said:
I want to join the fun... what do you guys use/recommend? Ameritrade? sharebuilder? etrade?

Mostly for sticking some "fun money" in the market and playing around.
Scottrade is pretty easy to use and it's $7/trade.

Ether_Snake said:
God damnit fuck that better not be true. I sold yet I was sure they would get bought out. At least I also sold ATVI, which is bound to go down.

BTW Amazon is up 17% today. My shares on the Investopedia game automatically sold at 189. Fuck. Didn't expect it to go up so much so quickly.
I guess the article just reiterated rumors about the buyout that they wrote about a while back. No new info.

I usually use Twitter for info on fast swings like this. It's definitely a great resource for traders (just search for a stock by adding $ before the ticker, ie. $ttwo):
https://twitter.com/#!/search/%24ttwo

Meier said:
Hmm.. if ATVI were to buy them out, would it be wise to sit on my stock in you guys' opinion? It certainly would make the company's stock seem more appealing to me.

Short term it may pay off. Personally I wouldn't plan to hold onto ATVI long-term. Thier management has fallen off the rails, and despite Black Op's success I fear for the long-term success of that franchise given the mass exodus of key staff last year.

Conversely EA has the opportunity to do something big with their MoH franchise in the years ahead, and SW:TOR could be a very big cash cow.

bender_84

Hey guys, started investing in the stock market over the past 2 weeks. So far invested in Microsoft(work for Mr.Softie so it's free stock :p), Infospace (which just posted earnings and is up 18% in after hours trading), OCZ (bought it after it plunged 30%), and bank stocks, Citigroup and Wells Fargo (not popular stocks but I'm holding this long-term because I think banks will make a comeback and paying $4.40/share for Citigroup is a steal).

Since I'm fairly new to stock trading, quick question. As I mentioned Infospace is up about 18% in after hours trading. I'm not completely sure how after hours trading works but in general it gives you a good idea about how the stock is going to open the next day. Do stocks usually open around the same levels as their after hours trading? Also, would it be smart to sell some or all of Infospace if it holds to those levels of a 18-20% gain tomorrow or hold it?

Is there any other stocks that you guys would suggest researching as possible buys?

Ovid

bender_84 said:
Hey guys, started investing in the stock market over the past 2 weeks. So far invested in Microsoft(work for Mr.Softie so it's free stock :p), Infospace (which just posted earnings and is up 18% in after hours trading), OCZ (bought it after it plunged 30%), and bank stocks, Citigroup and Wells Fargo (not popular stocks but I'm holding this long-term because I think banks will make a comeback and paying $4.40/share for Citigroup is a steal).

Since I'm fairly new to stock trading, quick question. As I mentioned Infospace is up about 18% in after hours trading. I'm not completely sure how after hours trading works but in general it gives you a good idea about how the stock is going to open the next day. Do stocks usually open around the same levels as their after hours trading? Also, would it be smart to sell some or all of Infospace if it holds to those levels of a 18-20% gain tomorrow or hold it?

Is there any other stocks that you guys would suggest researching as possible buys?
Your kidding right? Do your homework.

Have you looked at a chart for this company? There's a reason why this stock has moved in two years. If you wanna buy Citibank buy the prefered stock. Otherwise, buy a quality bank stock like J.P. Morgan Chase (JPM).

Just because a stock is cheap doesn't mean its a steal.

Biff

tarius1210 said:

Have you looked at a chart for this company? There's a reason why this stock has moved in two years. If you wanna buy Citibank buy the prefered stock. Otherwise, buy a quality bank stock like J.P. Morgan Chase (JPM).

But it does mean that there's more ground to regain after falling from the spotlight :p

He did say he was long on Citi. Therefore, his reasoning is fairly sound. I hope he did his homework but IMO Citi is attractive at $4.40. P/E isn't crazy, ratings are generally neutral to buy.. Estimate EPS next quarter is $-0.03.. If Citi clears the black then good things will come. They wrecked most recent quarter EPS estimates by ~75%.

bender_84

tarius1210 said:

Well I actually did some background researching on all of the banks, I think Citi has been overly lethargic on it's stock price over the past year compared to the other banks so I'm banking(hoping) on that once Citi clears some more of their bad assets, they will provide some attractive earning reports. I don't expect it to get to it's levels that it was over 2-3 years ago, but I do think the stock has been sitting lower than it should for too long now.

Edit: My thought process when I bought Citi and looked at it's past 6 month, 1 year, and 2 years graphs was essentially, the stock has been lethargic. If, and I know it's a big if, Citi get's its act together and clears out it's bad assets, it has more room to grow most other banks. I didn't buy Citi because it was cheap, it was how cheap it was compared to other banks and how they've been performing. Worse off is the stock stay lethargic over the next year and then I sell my shares and get out with essentially what i paid for the stock.

Would you or anyone have an opinion on what to do with the Infospace stock? I originally bought this stock to see what it would do over the next 6-12 months, but if it holds tomorrow morning to still gain about 18-20%, would it make more sense to sell, maybe rebuy later after the stock gives back some of those gains? Most of the 1 yr Estimates I've seen for Infospace put it at 10.20-1030 and if it sticks to this 18-20% gain, it'll be at 10.50 or higher.

Ovid

I didn't mean to come off as a dick but I just hate people go for a cheaper stock just because it's cheap. I'm glad you did your research and I don't want you to get burned in the end.

bender_84

tarius1210 said:
I didn't mean to come off as a dick but I just hate people go for a cheaper stock just because it's cheap. I'm glad you did your research and I don't want you to get burned in the end.

No worries, I definitely understand that notion of you shouldn't just buy cheap stocks(well cheap anything in life really) just because it's cheap. I always try to look through the charts and numbers and prior earnings, but in the end I'm still very new to stock trading as well so any advice I always try to take in. Also using the word "steal" in the way I used it was not a very clear way of saying why I bought the stock so that's my bad.

LegoDad

Investopedia website sucks for day trading period, it's built on holding stocks, it shouldn't take an hour to get a buy/sell in that's too much time for price fluctuation.

dudeworld

caliblue15 said:
Investopedia website sucks for day trading period, it's built on holding stocks, it shouldn't take an hour to get a buy/sell in that's too much time for price fluctuation.

it's 20 minutes, but I agree. If you know of a better site, though, let us know. but we made the competition 4 months long so that it would be more long-term than short

LegoDad

dudeworld said:
it's 20 minutes, but I agree. If you know of a better site, though, let us know. but we made the competition 4 months long so that it would be more long-term than short

It's a good site for everything else, haven't looked into contests sites, I might look around.

I also have a problem with their prices, they seem like 10-20 mins behind whatever the market says at that time. It's like seeing into the future. lol

Edit: Last time i did one of these we used this: http://www.smgww.org/overview.html

don't know how well it holds up now and is made for teaching. I have no idea if we could even sign up for it.

What's your guys' take on Netflix right now? I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to grow, but I'm worried they're overvalued right now.

I can see Canadian usage really taking off as they continue to expand their selection, as wholesale ISPs continue to expand, and so long as UBB dies the firey death it should.

LegoDad

TheRagnCajun said:
What's your guys' take on Netflix right now? I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to grow, but I'm worried they're overvalued right now.

I can see Canadian usage really taking off as they continue to expand their selection, as wholesale ISPs continue to expand, and so long as UBB dies the firey death it should.

I think it's finally hit it's top, but they have said that before and it just shoots up again.

caliblue15 said:
I think it's finally hit it's top, but they have said that before and it just shoots up again.

Yeah...I think they have a big bright future, its just the market may be overly optimistic about Netflix right now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
TheRagnCajun said:
Short term it may pay off. Personally I wouldn't plan to hold onto ATVI long-term. Thier management has fallen off the rails, and despite Black Op's success I fear for the long-term success of that franchise given the mass exodus of key staff last year.

Conversely EA has the opportunity to do something big with their MoH franchise in the years ahead, and SW:TOR could be a very big cash cow.

BATTLEFIELD!

Anno

Slightly disappointed with Microsoft's quarter. Hoping for a decent pullback, I might add if gets into the $24s again. Sadly I think at this point the stock is fighting against general public opinion, regardless of the quality of their products. Hopefully that'll break out at some point.

Still making a solid profit with AMRC, ITW and ABT, among others. Decent dividend boost from XOM as well.

bender_84

I had a feeling even if we(MS) posted .63 c/share or higher, the stock still would go down in after hours and tomorrow. As you said, public opinion does not let this stock grow even though MS's products lately(Windows 7, new Office and OfficeApps, Xbox and Kinect) have been rather good quality. Obviously investors do not share my opinion, but I do not realistically see tablets or the Ipad replacing desktops at all. Sure it might eat into Notebook sales which was shown in the quarterly reports, but someone is simply not going to use a Ipad or tablet for the same use as a desktop. I just wish the stock market and investors would recognize this so that it wouldn't pull down the stock to stick in the mid 20's for forever :p

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Slayer-33 said:

Holy fucking shit... I bought 8000 shares of LTUM LOL... First fucking trade ever! It went up to 1.92 today I got in at 1.13! The shit went down and I was trying to sell desperately! Shit was fucking crazy!

I sold most at the same price of 1.13 and then 1.11ish I lost only $80 for this learning experience HOLY FUCKING shit man the stock went all the way down to 0.70ish cents this shit is fucking nuts! I am fucking shaking here! LOL...

YWjTj.png

PHEW someone hug me LOL!

This experience was well worth my $80 loss, it opened my eyes quite a bit... I need more education on this shit (time to read my stock book lol)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How much did it cost you in transaction costs?

Shouldn't panic like that.

Ether_Snake said:
How much did it cost you in transaction costs?

Shouldn't panic like that.

Assuming he bought it before yesterday, he would have got it at $0.20/share, giving him a %565 return @ 1.13. A very nice, and probably lucky, day trade. Gratz!

Edit: Oh I may have read wrong. Looks like you bought today at 1.13 and then sold at 1.13 You really shouldn't sell on a spike like that. No way you're gonna be fast enough.

Ovid

Slayer-33 said:
Holy fucking shit... I bought 8000 shares of LTUM LOL... First fucking trade ever! It went up to 1.92 today I got in at 1.13! The shit went down and I was trying to sell desperately! Shit was fucking crazy!

I sold most at the same price of 1.13 and then 1.11ish I lost only $80 for this learning experience HOLY FUCKING shit man the stock went all the way down to 0.70ish cents this shit is fucking nuts! I am fucking shaking here! LOL...

PHEW someone hug me LOL!

This experience was well worth my $80 loss, it opened my eyes quite a bit... I need more education on this shit (time to read my stock book lol)
Didn't I tell not to gamble with penny stocks two pages ago? You're a beginner, what are you doing man? Don't fuck with penny stocks dude.

Flo_Evans

Welp, I opened a scottrade account...

Still have to wait for the funds to be transferred so no trading today probably. I am excited and scared!

Gallbaro

Banned
MSFT is starting to look sexy, bend over and squeal sexy.

11X p/e

3% dividend.

And they lifted the bs non-bundling bullshit that gave apple such a competitive advantage.

Top Bottom