• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

sajj316

Can't the fed just keep it's mouth shut for once ... if you aren't doing anything with the rates .. don't say anything.

thought it was another flash crash ... when looking at the charts.

RevoDS

The hell, markets are so volatile that even sources supposedly giving real-time data are inaccurate.

Apparently, the Dow is down 163 points at the moment. Or 76. Or 23. Whichever is right.

nitewulf said:
why do you feel gold will burst?

Theres nothing solid backing it up.

Its a fear shelter. Everyone who sold their stocks ran to gold.

Guess what, as soon as they are comfortable in stocks again, theyre going to drop gold. And when gold starts to fall, there will be fear selling. It will plummet.

Unlike oil, gold isnt backed by a hard metric like "consumption", its purely based off emotions.

There is no reason gold today should cost more than gold did in 2000 (plus inflation). Its not like you can do more with gold today than you could 10 years ago.

I don't understand these wild swings one way or the other. Whenever some good or bad news happens why is there a mass dumping or buying? Why not wait to see the long term effects of the news and slowly reach to the actual level instead of -400 or +500 jumps in one session.

I just think the stock market is manipulated by some very cunning big time investors to swing the market for their own good whenever they want to make the money.

I have never actively participated in stock trading but just trying to make sense of this non-sense.

Biff

TrojanBlade said:
I don't understand these wild swings one way or the other. Whenever some good or bad news happens why is there a mass dumping or buying? Why not wait to see the long term effects of the news and slowly reach to the actual level instead of -400 or +500 jumps in one session.
No one understands it - it's irrational fear.. Which is why no amateur investors should be trying to time this market.

It's going to be like this for the next week. After that we then begin a steady decline or incline. Once the volatility settles, then you can begin to make an educated decision.

You'll see posts here and on twitter, facebook, etc. of people saying "LOL just made $20k sold XYZ 1 day brb porsche" but those people are either:

20%..............a) lying to you (perhaps trying to stupidly drum up interest in stock XYZ)
60%..............b) lying to themselves about all the other money they lost in the last 10 days
19.999%........c) ridiculously lucky and will probably lose that money in the coming week(s)
0.001%..........d) institutional traders in-the-know, working with complex algorithms and trading servers

planar1280 said:
at close:

11,239.84 +429.99 (3.98%)
Aug 9 - Close

jamesinclair said:
So my prediction is tomorrow will be +500, another tanking on Wednesday and then another +400 on Thursday.

Aka: 2008 roller coaster redux.

Friday may be a black friday (-700) or a pause (+/-100)

Whos with me?

I should have a TV show.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
TrojanBlade said:

I just think the stock market is manipulated by some very cunning big time investors to swing the market for their own good whenever they want to make the money.

I have never actively participated in stock trading but just trying to make sense of this non-sense.
the wild swings are because the stock markets don't accurately reflect the information investors know or the actual economic value of a company.

For instance, the nikkei dropped roughly 5% after the earthquake/tsunami. Do you really think the recent earthquake and tsunami wiped out 5% of the long term economic outlook for Japan?

The best way to invest is intelligently. Look for companies that are undervalued with strong long-term outlooks that pay dividends, which you automatically reinvest. Invest in them, watch them grow, interest growing upo ninterest and dividends growing upon dividends.

Any short term investment strategy is akin to gambling.

I recommend you read The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham, co-founder of the school of thought of value investing, and a man who was warren buffet's mentor.

Buffett and everyone who practices value investing avoided the dot com bubble for the most part.

No one understands it - it's irrational fear.. Which is why no amateur investors should be trying to time this market.

Yup, Amateur investor here.

gmq7d.jpg

clav

Feds offer dismal view of current economy compared to the report two months ago.

Market rallies upward.

Is someone printing money in the background?

claviertekky said:
Feds offer dismal view of current economy compared to the report two months ago.

Market rallies upward.

This week has nothing to do with reality.

Its a bunch of chickens running around going

SELL! SELL! SELL!
OH SHIT!
BUY! BUY! BUY!

Sit back, and enjoy it. And if you're a day trader, plan your christmas vacation in Tahiti.

sajj316

claviertekky said:

Market rallies upward.

I really believe the report was dismissed by the market or at least indifferent to it. Having lost 630+ points yesterday .. the market was indeed looking to recapture profits or produce new profits via volatility arbitrage.

Biff

Crazy theory: It could also be the shorts covering their positions?

Shorts waiting till Fed announcement where they know markets will tank due to inaction.
Markets tank as expected.
Shorts buy at afternoon low like crazy to cover their positions before the end of the day, causing a surge in demand, allowing markets to end the day in the black.

Either way, we ain't seen nothing yet IMO. This roller coaster is a kiddie coaster compared to 2008.

sajj316

ChefRamsay said:

Shorts waiting till Fed announcement where they know markets will tank due to inaction.
Shorts buy at afternoon low like crazy to cover their positions before the end of the day, causing a surge in demand, allowing markets to end the day in the black.

Either way, we ain't seen nothing yet IMO. This roller coaster is a kiddie coaster compared to 2008.

excellent theory .. that could also be it. Most likely a combo of factors.

ChefRamsay said:

i thought shorting like that was made unlawful after 2008

nitewulf

TrojanBlade said:
there is a self serving mechanism between the analyst predictions of Price to Earnings ratios and Corporations trying to match the predictions, because if they don't, their stock prices fall due to fear/uncertainty. Even if a company actually does better than predicted, they tend to cook the books to fall in line with predictions.

RevoDS

What an insane day. It turned out pretty well for me, however; I completely recovered yesterday's losses and then some with a 6.87% upswing that brought me back into positive territory overall.

Welcome (albeit irrational) breather, although I'm not sure the market has bottomed out yet.

i thought shorting like that was made unlawful after 2008

It was a temporary ban that lasted a few months.

sajj316

jamesinclair said:
Theres nothing solid backing it up.

Its a fear shelter. Everyone who sold their stocks ran to gold.

Guess what, as soon as they are comfortable in stocks again, theyre going to drop gold. And when gold starts to fall, there will be fear selling. It will plummet.

Unlike oil, gold isnt backed by a hard metric like "consumption", its purely based off emotions.

There is no reason gold today should cost more than gold did in 2000 (plus inflation). Its not like you can do more with gold today than you could 10 years ago.

Have you looked at the chart for gold going back to 2004? Despite economic highs and lows .. gold has been steadily rising in value.

Limedust

sajj316 said:
Have you looked at the chart for gold going back to 2004? Despite economic highs and lows .. gold has been steadily rising in value.

So did housing for the longest time... up until around 2007. Some bubbles take much longer to form and burst than others.

sajj316 said:

Exactly.

Thats the problem.

When something keeps going up with no real reason to require the rise...it's a bubble. A bubble built on nothing.

See: US stock market 2009-2011.
See: US housing market: 2000-2007
See: China: 1998-2012.

Spl1nter

jamesinclair said:
When something keeps going up with no real reason to require the rise...it's a bubble. A bubble built on nothing.

There is a reason, its viewed as a stable alternative currency. Same reason the swiss franc is valued so highly right now. Nevertheless, it a silly reason, gold is a commodity and it will eventually drop to a realistic price in respect to its position as a commodity.

edit: its not really a commodity. its a precious metal.

Javaman

sajj316 said:

Have you looked at it back through the 1980s? The suckers that invested in it then had to take a loss on their investment for 30 years before they broke even. Are you sure it's worth the risk?
monthly_dollar.gif

Another way to look at it is that gold was stable for 30 years and now people decide to shoot it up into the stratosphere. I have no doubt that quite a few people are going to be butthurt in a year or two. For an extra laugh, imagine how the graph would look if the upper scale was $1700 and not $800.

gkryhewy

Javaman said:
Have you looked at it back through the 1980s? The suckers that invested in it then had to take a loss on their investment for 30 years before they broke even. Are you sure it's worth the risk?
monthly_dollar.gif

Another way to look at it is that gold was stable for 30 years and now people decide to shoot it up into the stratosphere. I have no doubt that quite a few people are going to be butthurt in a year or two. For an extra laugh, imagine how the graph would look if the upper scale was $1700 and not $800.
That's a pretty hilarious chart, actually, since in ~1980 we had serious, not messing around levels of inflation... whereas in 2011 we have an ideological expectation of inflation, all evidence be damned. That's a serious bubble right there.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
jamesinclair said:
This week has nothing to do with reality.

Its a bunch of chickens running around going

SELL! SELL! SELL!
OH SHIT!
BUY! BUY! BUY!

Sit back, and enjoy it. And if you're a day trader, plan your christmas vacation in Tahiti.

This is why I love long term value investing - it makes the assumption that the market is irrational and you avoid all of this baseless fear and hype.

teh_pwn

sajj316 said:

Gold does nothing. It just sits there. It's pretty to some people, so it's value against fiat currencies holds it's real value, but that's about it. It also blows up like a balloon during times of fear.

Stocks are ownership of businesses, which is in nature designed to be profitable. It either pays dividends or grows as the business increases in size.

Bonds are debt, which you get paid interest for.

Why the hell would gold make money? If you look over 200 years you'll so that it really doesn't. It only goes up and down, mostly due to fear and inflation.

Piecake

teh_pwn said:
Gold does nothing. It just sits there. It's pretty to some people, so it's value against fiat currencies holds it's real value, but that's about it. It also blows up like a balloon during times of fear.

Stocks are ownership of businesses, which is in nature designed to be profitable. It either pays dividends or grows as the business increases in size.

Bonds are debt, which you get paid interest for.

Why the hell would gold make money? If you look over 200 years you'll so that it really doesn't. It only goes up and down, mostly due to fear and inflation.

gold gets more pretty with age?

unomas

Banned
Gonaria said:
gold gets more pretty with age?

The burst will be epic, but it will go above and well beyond $1700. We'll see $2500 plus gold this year yet say some, and potentially $5,000 and $10,000 per ounce gold in the future.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
unomas said:
The burst will be epic, but it will go above and well beyond $1700. We'll see $2500 plus gold this year yet say some, and potentially $5,000 and $10,000 per ounce gold in the future.

lol, no.

Javaman said:
monthly_dollar.gif

They didn't if they kept on averaging down over time.

unomas said:

Looks like someone has too much gold and is playing chicken.

teh_pwn

unomas said:

If gold gets to be $10,000 anytime soon, it means society is collapsing. It means that people will steal your gold and property because everything will be lawless.

We've warned you. This is a classic economic bubble, like the .com stocks, financial stocks of late, or even going all the way back to the South Sea Bubble. I hope you come to your senses and sell soon. If you're waiting for $10,000 per ounce, you may want to write it in your will so your great great grandchildren can cash in.

But you know what's worse about gold? There never was any profitable business there to begin with. At least previous bubbles did.

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_bubble

It's practically written about today's gold prices.

teh_pwn said:
If gold gets to be $10,000 anytime soon, it means society is collapsing. It means that people will steal your gold and property because everything will be lawless.

We've warned you. This is a classic economic bubble, like the .com stocks, financial stocks of late, or even going all the way back to the South Sea Bubble. I hope you come to your senses and sell soon. If you're waiting for $10,000 per ounce, you may want to write it in your will so your great great grandchildren can cash in.

But you know what's worse about gold? There never was any profitable business there to begin with. At least previous bubbles did.

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_bubble

It's practically written about today's gold prices.

Personally, I think he was B.Sn but hey I could be wrong and he is that naive. Most investing stories that I hear off are people who come across some money, dump it into the stock market based on what "Mad Money" man says and leave it there because they expect increasing returns from both sales and dividends.

Top Bottom