• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Zyzyxxz

bender_84 said:
Damn, put some money in on Tues and now really eating it. I didn't think the stocks would have had this much of a negative reception to the fed announcement. What really get's me is all I see are headlins about "The market plunges on Euro worries and Recession fears". I'm like no shit, nothing's changed since 2 months ago when it plunged then over the same worries. Oh well, the stocks I bough I considered long term and near their 52-week lows. I'll probably just keep buying in increments to back up my loses.

Yeah I bought a small position in Nokia at $5.90, I'm down 11% now, but its for a longterm buy. Gonna try to bring the average price down and try to weather this storm.

bender_84

Zyzyxxz said:
Yeah I bought a small position in Nokia at $5.90, I'm down 11% now, but its for a longterm buy. Gonna try to bring the average price down and try to weather this storm.

Yup it's all about continuing to support and put into it to average it out now. I do feel confident though in by doing so, when the stock start to come back in mid to late 2012, I'll make a nice profit and collect some good dividends along the way.

unomas

Banned
demosthenes said:
So finally going to take the plunge. What online trader is the favorite here @ GAF?

You're going to take the plunge now? You might want to wait until it drops more, but also before they come in with QE3. Get in now and you could potentially take a huge hit, this drop isn't anywhere near done yet. Wallstreet only got "Operation Twist", they were expecting more to help prop up the market, and now that they haven't received it......plunge.

unomas said:
You're going to take the plunge now? You might want to wait until it drops more, but also before they come in with QE3. Get in now and you could potentially take a huge hit, this drop isn't anywhere near done yet.

I didn't mean start buying this second, but I've put off setting up an account long enough. But I want to get setup so I can start making moves when I feel it's best.

All I know is Scottrade b/c that's what my dad uses and he's had to ask for my help a few times with it.

So what does everyone use?

Troblin

demosthenes said:
I didn't mean start buying this second, but I've put off setting up an account long enough. But I want to get setup so I can start making moves when I feel it's best.

All I know is Scottrade b/c that's what my dad uses and he's had to ask for my help a few times with it.

I use Scottrade. Good service, low trading fees and no minimum balances.

However, the no DRIP (Dividend Reinvestment) could be a deal breaker if you're a long term investor...

unomas

Banned
demosthenes said:

Ahhh I see, I have yet to purchase any stocks myself, I'm going to wait for the market to hit a deep bottom before I do. I'm invested strictly in metals right now, but I will spread myself out once this thing nosedives some more.

Troblin said:
I use Scottrade. Good service, low trading fees and no minimum balances.

However, the no DRIP (Dividend Reinvestment) could be a deal breaker if you're a long term investor...

That is annoying, I was planning on having some long term stuff, so do the dividends just got dropped into your cash account on ST?

And unomas, what do you use :p

And I've always wondered. I think ST says $8 trades, so is it $8 to buy and $8 to sell?

xzoowy

unomas said:
Ahhh I see, I have yet to purchase any stocks myself, I'm going to wait for the market to hit a deep bottom before I do. I'm invested strictly in metals right now, but I will spread myself out once this thing nosedives some more.
You could play the current volatility using ProShares. The market isnt going down in a straight line, there are always rebounds. Currently I have 80% liquidity and 20% doing swing trading with ProShares( and BetaPro shares in Canada). You can do some interesting profit with the currently declining markets with 3X inverse ETF.

demosthenes said:
I'm pretty new to this too, but I'm using ChoiceTrade at the moment. Started with ShareBuilder mostly because I happened across someone saying good things about it online, but ChoiceTrade has lower per-trade fees ($5 standard vs $10) and far smaller surcharges on stocks under a dollar.

Since DRIP has been mentioned, ShareBuilder has a section where you can change that on a per-stock basis. The ChoiceTrade FAQs say they support it, but you need to email them to tell them to switch it on for a particular stock or the account as a whole.

Sipowicz

Banned
ok guys. i'm looking to buy about 200 pounds worth of stocks on the LSE, and i felt now would be the best time

would you agree? and what are good buys at the moment?

i was looking at bao.l, mxp.l, bem.l and cnr.l

unomas

Banned
xzoowy said:
You could play the current volatility using ProShares. The market isnt going down in a straight line, there are always rebounds. Currently I have 80% liquidity and 20% doing swing trading with ProShares( and BetaPro shares in Canada). You can do some interesting profit with the currently declining markets with 3X inverse ETF.

Thanks for the tip I'll take a look.

Anno

In the silver-lining category, three of my investments (MSFT, LMT and PM) have increased their quarterly dividend by more than 20% in the last couple of weeks. Makes me glad I'm a dividend focused investor. Not having to worry as much about this crazy ass volatility and getting good yields on buys and reinvestments helps me sleep better.

bender_84

Anno said:
In the silver-lining category, three of my investments (MSFT, LMT and PM) have increased their quarterly dividend by more than 20% in the last couple of weeks. Makes me glad I'm a dividend focused investor. Not having to worry as much about this crazy ass volatility and getting good yields on buys and reinvestments helps me sleep better.

I like to think along these terms, glass half full instead of half empty. All of the stocks I own have dividend yields from 2.5% all the way up to 14%.

Zyzyxxz

Anno said:

Nice, when it comes to reinvestments how has your portfolio grown? I've been very interested in investing in dividend stocks and reinvesting them for longterm growth.

Anno

Zyzyxxz said:
Nice, when it comes to reinvestments how has your portfolio grown? I've been very interested in investing in dividend stocks and reinvesting them for longterm growth.

It certainly helps. I've only been investing outside of my 401k for about three years so I haven't exactly had a long time for the reinvestments to pile up. I do know that every quarter, including those where I make no new purchases, pays me more dividends than the prior quarter. That's what I'm really focused on.

I view my brokerage account essentially as a business; the stocks are the assets and the dividends are the money I pocket from running the business. Assets prices might fluctuate with the times but I'm more focused on extracting ever increasing amounts of cash from them. Keeping on top of things and making sure the companies you invest in are staying healthy takes some time but you learn a lot and it provides confidence even in the face of -20% panics.

Troblin

Anno said:
It certainly helps. I've only been investing outside of my 401k for about three years so I haven't exactly had a long time for the reinvestments to pile up. I do know that every quarter, including those where I make no new purchases, pays me more dividends than the prior quarter. That's what I'm really focused on.

I view my brokerage account essentially as a business; the stocks are the assets and the dividends are the money I pocket from running the business. Assets prices might fluctuate with the times but I'm more focused on extracting ever increasing amounts of cash from them. Keeping on top of things and making sure the companies you invest in are staying healthy takes some time but you learn a lot and it provides confidence even in the face of -20% panics.

Is your portfolio set for dividend reinvestments, or do the dividends payout directly to your cash account?

Anno

Troblin said:
Is your portfolio set for dividend reinvestments, or do the dividends payout directly to your cash account?

Right now I have them set to automatically reinvest because I don't make enough for them to pile up into new purchases in a reasonable amount of time. Once I get to the point where I have several thousand or more coming in yearly I'll probably set most of them to hit my sweep account so I can reinvest them individually.

Edit: McDonalds just announced a 15% increase! moneyhat.jpg

roddur

besiktas1 said:
Fuck sake, if gold is taking a big hit, I'm losing a SHIT load of money....

i hope you get your money back, gold and oil usually go opposite ways, today they both took steep nose drive.

Zyzyxxz

besiktas1 said:
Fuck sake, if gold is taking a big hit, I'm losing a SHIT load of money....

It's at $1739 right now. I hope you got in at much lower, either way I would get out IMO.

Too much uncertainty and I always thought price of gold was driven by fear/uncertainty in market. Everybody is pulling out their money and investing in the U.S. dollar now apparently.

Cloudy said:
All my AAPL gains from the last 2 weeks wiped out cos I didn't have stop-loss on with iphone 5 around the corner :(

I don't think you need to worry too much, it has alot of support and the price target of $500 is attainable IMO but no guarantees from me.

I'd like to get in too but not sure if its worth it for a uncertain 25% return.

Xisiqomelir

schroddycat said:
Guys, is it the right time to go long on BAC or I should wait longer, maybe till it drops to $6?

I think Brian Moynihan is capable of doing much worse than $6/share.

Disclaimer: Short BAC

8/19/2011
unomas said:
Anyone who is telling you to sell at this point is leading you in the wrong direction. The precious metals are on their continued climb up, and with no other money to be made in stocks why be anywhere else in the market? It's a sure bet, anyone not in precious metals at this point hasn't done the research.

As of this post gold is at $1850 and silver is at $42.95. Both are on the up and up.

unomas said:
Well, I guess the kind of idiocy that's making me money, and I'll keep smiling all the way to the bank. I'll continue to smile after $2000 an ounce, $3000 an ounce and so on. You'll keep calling it idiocy and I'll have more wealth when I decide to get out by a substantial amount. If it's idiocy, why are central banks hording gold and buying it by the ton? They know what's happening to currencies around the world, and guess what? Not that many people even own gold, the mass market is nowhere near the thing right now. The price will only continue to go up, and those that were stupid enough not to get on board are clueless.

A month later,

Gold Plunge Worst Since 2008; Silver Dives Most Since 1987

GOLD FUTURES
GOLD
-5.56%

Thoughts?

Zyzyxxz

jamesinclair said:
8/19/2011

A month later,

Gold Plunge Worst Since 2008; Silver Dives Most Since 1987

GOLD FUTURES
GOLD
-5.56%

Thoughts?

Well I think he got in early but I hope he sold.

Investor psychology tends to be that when you invest in something you tend to look only for good news to make you feel more confident it will increase in value and tend to dismiss or not take bad predictions seriously. Oh well what do I really know though.

Hatredcopter

Neo Member
I've been lurking in this thread a bit, trying to pick up on things. I'm completely new to stocks/trading/etc (aside from my 401K investments) and I want to take it up as a hobby after reading a few issues of Fortune Magazine and listening to a radio program "Stocks and Jocks." What would you guys recommend I try first so that I don't get in over my head? Penny stocks? Pick a company I know well? Dividends? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hatredcopter said:
I've been lurking in this thread a bit, trying to pick up on things. I'm completely new to stocks/trading/etc (aside from my 401K investments) and I want to take it up as a hobby after reading a few issues of Fortune Magazine and listening to a radio program "Stocks and Jocks." What would you guys recommend I try first so that I don't get in over my head? Penny stocks? Pick a company I know well? Dividends? Any advice would be appreciated.

Never start in penny stocks.

Other than that, it's what suits your investing style. What your strategy may be. Long term? Short term? Day trading?

Hatredcopter

Neo Member
SlipperySlope said:
Never start in penny stocks.

Other than that, it's what suits your investing style. What your strategy may be. Long term? Short term? Day trading?

I've heard penny stocks are not the way to go, so I'm not surprised you said don't start there.

As far as my strategy goes, I'd like to invest in half a dozen companies at a time, and basically sit and watch, I guess both short- and long-term. I won't have time to day trade really. Do I look for stocks under $10 or something? Pick one company and give it a try, then invest into more?

Hatredcopter said:
I've heard penny stocks are not the way to go, so I'm not surprised you said don't start there.

As far as my strategy goes, I'd like to invest in half a dozen companies at a time, and basically sit and watch, I guess both short- and long-term. I won't have time to day trade really. Do I look for stocks under $10 or something? Pick one company and give it a try, then invest into more?

go to investopedia.com and fool.com and learn some of the basics.

iifu

Neo Member
Anyone here doing any macro-investing? Don't know if it's the right terminology, but what I mean is not investing in individual stocks but in ETFs that track indexes and entire asset classes. I've been trying this for a while now with pretty good results.

ElyrionX

Xisiqomelir said:
20110920_DDIS_Greece.gif

20110920_DDIS_Portugal.gif

Out of curiousity, I presume you work in the financial industry? Mind revealing your role?

dudeworld

ElyrionX said:
Out of curiousity, I presume you work in the financial industry? Mind revealing your role?

I won't speak for that guy, but my dad uses Bloomberg (the program pictured) and he's a portfolio manager.

Zyzyxxz

Anybody gonna be playing the Apple and parts supplier game as iPhone 5 announcement is coming near?

I've noticed a trending pattern in the last two years with the parts suppliers in that it a quarter or two before their stocks picked up (I suppose after iPhone sales reports came in) for the parts suppliers.

I'm watching HIMX, OVTI, and a couple others right now.

Hatredcopter

Neo Member
schroddycat said:
Guys, is it the right time to go long on BAC or I should wait longer, maybe till it drops to $6?

I just saw this news posted today. Bank of America will begin charging a $5 monthly fee at the beginning of next year for customers who make debit card purchases.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/29/pf/bank_of_america_debit_fee/

My beginner's sense tells me to hold off while folks react to the news. Yeah? I like using my debit card, so this is a bummer. I can probably hold off on using it on purchases since the BoA locations are so convenient.

Zoe

Hatredcopter said:
I just saw this news posted today. Bank of America will begin charging a $5 monthly fee at the beginning of next year for customers who make debit card purchases.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/29/pf/bank_of_america_debit_fee/

My beginner's sense tells me to hold off while folks react to the news. Yeah? I like using my debit card, so this is a bummer. I can probably hold off on using it on purchases since the BoA locations are so convenient.

You don't have to stop using the card, just stop using it as a debit transaction.

Rubenov

What a blood-stained quarter. The perma-bull in me is hoping for an improved October. Only thing that's worth it right now is to be a bear and play with put options/shorts, but given I'm new to this whole thing I don't feel comfortable with this yet.

Piecake

Rubenov said:
What a blood-stained quarter. The perma-bull in me is hoping for an improved October. Only thing that's worth it right now is to be a bear and play with put options/shorts, but given I'm new to this whole thing I don't feel comfortable with this yet.

Invest for the long long term?

Rubenov said:

October, being good?

Lols.
October will be a blood bath.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
jamesinclair said:
October, being good?

Lols.
October will be a blood bath.

At this point I think it all depends on earnings. If earnings are better than expected we'll probably have a rally.

if earnings are worse then we are fucked.

Top Bottom