• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Cloudy

Banned
So, I am up about 1k on the shares of AAPL I have left. Time to set a $410 stop for half or ride through earnings? (1/28)

So, investinGAF, how did 2011 treat you? With dividends reinvested I ended up 5.1% ahead for the year. Not awesome, but also not terrible. I slept well at least.

Up about 6% on all my accounts (roth/ira/brokerage/401k) combined. Beats a savings account!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What do you guys think fo Amazon? Seems interesting at the current price, but PE is pretty high.

Zyzyxxz

What do you guys think fo Amazon? Seems interesting at the current price, but PE is pretty high.

I thought about playing that game but I don't know. I like that they reinvest their earnings into the company disregarding shareholders but movement is so slow. I'd think I'd take Apple over it because of the potential short term gains in the next 3 months.

RevoDS

So, I am up about 1k on the shares of AAPL I have left. Time to set a $410 stop for half or ride through earnings? (1/28)

Up about 6% on all my accounts (roth/ira/brokerage/401k) combined. Beats a savings account!

I'm very bullish on AAPL going into earnings. Sure, it's had a big run up lately, but last quarter's disappointment basically set the company up for another blowout quarter. iPhone sales appear to be through the roof, and expectations have gone back down significantly.

I could be proven wrong, but I'm sticking with it through earnings.

Anno

I too have several times considered buying a small position in AMZN. Ultimately though I want to see them have some kind of margin expansion before I buy in at these kind of levels. I know they can sell stuff cheap; I'm less confident that they can actually make money on that stuff. Technically the stock could drop back to 120-135ish without too much trouble, and without a dividend there's really nothing to make that risk worth it to me. Until the stock drops back or I see margins start to firm up it'll just be on my watch list.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
So, investinGAF, how did 2011 treat you? With dividends reinvested I ended up 5.1% ahead for the year. Not awesome, but also not terrible. I slept well at least.

Also, what are people looking at for 2012? Currently I have my eyes on Teva, waiting for pullbacks in IBM and VFC.

I did 9.1% including reinvested dividends in 2011, I'm pretty happy with that given the S&P TSX was about 11% negative.

Should also note that I made only two trades all year, swapped some TransAlta for Bell Canada in March and bought some more CIBC shares in July.

Aside from that, the entire portfolio was the same the entire year.

Don't just do something, stand there!

I have some old Disney stock I got as a gift a long time ago. Honestly I thought I sold it all, but it was subject to a split and I have six shares left. They are directly registered. What is the easiest and cheapest way I can sell? I don't want to reinvest or do anything else, just a one time sell.

Thanks!

Anno

I have some old Disney stock I got as a gift a long time ago. Honestly I thought I sold it all, but it was subject to a split and I have six shares left. They are directly registered. What is the easiest and cheapest way I can sell? I don't want to reinvest or do anything else, just a one time sell.

Thanks!

Probably start here. Fill out all of the enrollment stuff, establish your account and you should be able to sell them directly through Disney's DRIP plan.

Probably start here. Fill out all of the enrollment stuff, establish your account and you should be able to sell them directly through Disney's DRIP plan.

Awesome. I didn't realize I could just sell them directly by Disney. I glanced at the page before and thought it couldn't be used for a quick sell of all. Nice!

EDIT: Now I recall why I passed on that, you need to give them all your banking info and then mail the form back. I'm just looking for a cheap stock broker firm. Since the stock is directly registered I can give the broker all the info over the phone.

If you're confident they will be able to double their earnings every 3-4 years. Why not?

But owning tech companies like Oracle, Microsoft or IBM which all have reasonable P/E's (between 10 and 15) seems less risky.

Zyzyxxz

If you're confident they will be able to double their earnings every 3-4 years. Why not?

But owning tech companies like Oracle, Microsoft or IBM which all have reasonable P/E's (between 10 and 15) seems less risky.

Not to mention they have histories of consistent dividends and some consistently increasing as well.

Wazzim

Banned
Maybe the wrong place to ask this but do you guys know what the authors mean with this:
The European Central Bank reported a dramatic increase in bank spreads in the late 2008 for small loans. The Round Table participants were struck by the fact that interest rate spreads had risen to exceptionally high levels, thereby partially offsetting the effects of the easing of monetary policy.
Does that mean that the difference in interest rates for smaller loans increased?

EDIT: nvm found it, it just means the cost of smaller loans increased lol

daw840

What do you gentlemen think about Sprint (NYSE: S)? Surely it's hit the bottom right? I mean, fuckin hell it's trading at 2.19.

Ovid

What do you gentlemen think about Sprint (NYSE: S)? Surely it's hit the bottom right? I mean, fuckin hell it's trading at 2.19.

LOL, this stock was in the $2 range when I bought it three years ago (forgot its 2012). They still have alot of work to do besides just adding the iPhone to their arsenal.

CrankyJay

Banned
Keep an eye on PANL (Universal Display Corp) this week during CES....will be interesting to see if LG/Samsung OLED reveals will push this stock up.

I've taken a beating on this recently but I'm long.

Ovid

I don't understand what they are doing wrong really. I've had them for nearly a decade with absolutely no issues.

It's a company that holds alot of debt. Also, remember Sprint has to pay for all of those iPhones upfront. The staggering numbers for that deal is $2.2 billion this year and $5.2 billion in 2013. If Sprint doesn't add more subscribers the deal will likely put the company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

It's a huge risk for Sprint...that's how desperate they are right now.

^^ Should have sold -_-

I did, three years ago. It was a very short-term trade.

Zyzyxxz

Keep an eye on PANL (Universal Display Corp) this week during CES....will be interesting to see if LG/Samsung OLED reveals will push this stock up.

I've taken a beating on this recently but I'm long.

Yeah I've been thinking about buying in now ever since you mentioned it and I saw its pretty low.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Looking at my portfolio, I see MON is finally back in the black for me, up 9%. Then I realize that I only have 15 shares, which I bought for 1k. WTF, I can't imagine why I bought so few. I usually make 2k purchases minimum. Must have been a mistake and I only noticed it months later, lol... :(

dudeworld: tell me what to buy!

Zyzyxxz

I don't understand what they are doing wrong really. I've had them for nearly a decade with absolutely no issues.

They invested in WiMax promising 4G speeds before everyone else and it never really took off. Clearwire was a dumb investment and now that they are abandoning it I feel that they are playing catchup now when they initially had a chance to beat AT&T to 4G coverage if they hadn't went with WiMax in the first place.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah I've been thinking about buying in now ever since you mentioned it and I saw its pretty low.

It's volatile for sure if you can stomach it...but in the past 3 trading days it as gone from 31.55 to 39 today...I suspect CES is only going to push this up. Wish I had more money to buy when it bottomed out last week.

CrankyJay

Banned
Are you sure CES isn't already factored into the price? I'd be worried that anything revealed at CES will result in a drop, unless they've got some monster secret that no one has suspected.

Who can say? Some analysts say yes it's already factored, but there may be renewed excitement once people see these TVs.

There are also impending deals in the works with LG, AUO, a third unnamed company for materials production.

Zyzyxxz

It's volatile for sure if you can stomach it...but in the past 3 trading days it as gone from 31.55 to 39 today...I suspect CES is only going to push this up. Wish I had more money to buy when it bottomed out last week.

Well I think it's a natural evolution for TVs to go OLED so I have a good feeling about it.

daw840

Looks like PANL is doing really well. I'm up 8% on the 30 shares I bought. Not much dollar wise, but just kind of getting my feet wet in this.

CrankyJay

Banned
What else should we buy Jay!?!?!?

lol

I also own SPPI...it's a biotech stock that I consider undervalued. They have 2 cancer drugs on the market and more on the way once they're cleared with the FDA. The stock is expected to double in 2012.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/316...and-20-that-could-double-in-2012?source=yahoo

I am long on this stock as well.

disclosure: Again, please do your own due diligence on this stock to make sure this is a buy for you...I'm not an expert by any means.

In regards to PANL, I feel a bit overexposed...hoping to get it back up to 55-60 where I will sell as I believe it may pull back again, but in the long run I feel this is a 80-100 stock in the next 2 years and maybe even higher once OLED lighting kicks in and TV prices come down.

Congrats on you guys for your gains.

lol

I also own SPPI...it's a biotech stock that I consider undervalued. They have 2 cancer drugs on the market and more on the way once they're cleared with the FDA. The stock is expected to double in 2012.

I am long on this stock as well.

disclosure: Again, please do your own due diligence on this stock to make sure this is a buy for you...I'm not an expert by any means.

BRB, investing my life savings into SPPI.

CrankyJay

Banned
BRB, investing my life savings into SPPI.

What have I done? =O

edit: SPPI is at its 52 week high...I wouldn't recommend chasing this stock and wait for it to come down a bit. I'm guessing it's up this week as much as it is because they're presenting at the JP Morgan healthcare conference.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Suntech Power up 25%, yay! No idea why. edit: Seems to be the whole solar sector.

Still down 81% on it! ...

Zyzyxxz

What have I done? =O

edit: SPPI is at its 52 week high...I wouldn't recommend chasing this stock and wait for it to come down a bit. I'm guessing it's up this week as much as it is because they're presenting at the JP Morgan healthcare conference.

I'll keep it on my watch list.

daw840

Anyone else see Urban Outfitters drop today? Doing some research it seems like it's due to a CEO change, but the company itself looks to be doing very well. Little or no debt and above average for the retail segment. Thinks it's a good buy to go short with?

Urban Outfitters Inc NASDAQ:URBN

23.93 -5.48 (-18.63%)

edit: Charts seem to indicate it's almost at it's 52 week low.

Ovid

BAC is just ridiculous right now. My first foray into options trading last month with this purchase is turning out to be a great call (no pun intended). It could've easily went in the opposite direction so I'm really happy right now.

BAC is up 20% year to date. On a whim, I purchased May 2012 calls last month. My option premiums are up over 180% in less than a month.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yes it does. I'll bail if I hit 12% though I think.

Seems reasonable. I do expect another pullback at some point, at which you can buy in again.

If you find out a way to time buying then selling then shorting then covering let me know, we'll be fucking rich. =)

Zyzyxxz

Seems reasonable. I do expect another pullback at some point, at which you can buy in again.

If you find out a way to time buying then selling then shorting then covering let me know, we'll be fucking rich. =)

Oh no he's been banned for insider trading! Shit there goes our source.

ndiicm

When you purchase a stock using an online broker is your stock given a serial number or code or something? Am I issued a physical certificate? How do you change brokers?

daw840

The only one I have experience with is TD Ameritrade.

I don't have any advice really. Just look around for cheap trades from well known companies and call them. They will walk you through it and hold your hand.

Rubenov

Anyone else see Urban Outfitters drop today? Doing some research it seems like it's due to a CEO change, but the company itself looks to be doing very well. Little or no debt and above average for the retail segment. Thinks it's a good buy to go short with?

Urban Outfitters Inc NASDAQ:URBN

23.93 -5.48 (-18.63%)

edit: Charts seem to indicate it's almost at it's 52 week low.

URBN was a good dip buy yesterday... today it has run up a bit but it might be good if you're going in long-term. I wouldn't touch it, however, as their earnings consistently decreased all throughout last year and so far the retail sector has not recovered. Also, URBN is "losing its touch" with consumers reflected in analysis and sales.

Top Bottom